Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did we play wingbacks all night? 08:43 - Sep 4 with 1268 viewsGerkensBeard

Gotta think it suits our personnel best. We only have 1 out and out winger in Edwards. The others who play out wide are either central players or can play the 10
This looks tasty if you can develop it

–––––––––-Holy––––––

KVY–-Woolf–-Chambo–-Nsiala–-Garbutt

––––––-Skuse–––Downes––––

––––––––-Judge–––––––––

––––-Jackson––––Norwood

Long term if this were to work you’d only need one of Skuse or Downes but they’re currently undropable. Also if Kenlock developed into a player suitable for the Left centre back position it would have a great balance to it. Could develop something like Blades have

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 08:49 - Sep 4 with 1228 viewsTractorJack

It worked OK last night but that was because Woolf and Kenlock are both comfortable on the ball higher up the pitch. Nsiala doesn't have that ability.
Did we play wingbacks all night? on 08:54 - Sep 4 with 1194 viewsHerbivore

I don't think it suits our personell at all. We have wingers in Edwards, Rowe and Georgiou, as well as Garbutt who is most comfortable playing there. Dobra, El Miz and Lankester can all play wide too.

We don't have the CBs to play three at the back. We have no left footer and only Woolfenden is remotely comfortable on the ball. All of our CBs lack a bit of mobility which is needed in a back three where you're frequently having to cover the full back areas as well as the centre of the pitch.

I don't see any value in switching to three at the back, especially as we're getting results playing as we are.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 09:14 - Sep 4 with 1122 viewsdavblue

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 08:49 - Sep 4 by TractorJack

It worked OK last night but that was because Woolf and Kenlock are both comfortable on the ball higher up the pitch. Nsiala doesn't have that ability.

Kenlock comfortable on the ball, you had me until then.
Did we play wingbacks all night? on 09:25 - Sep 4 with 1088 viewsStokieBlue

I don't understand why so many people keep trying to change our formation given we are top of the league and unbeaten and the one time we changed it we looked useless.

It's all very odd.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 09:31 - Sep 4 with 1066 viewsHerbivore

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 09:25 - Sep 4 by StokieBlue

I don't understand why so many people keep trying to change our formation given we are top of the league and unbeaten and the one time we changed it we looked useless.

It's all very odd.

SB

Town fans have a weird obsession with playing three at the back.

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 09:31 - Sep 4 with 1064 viewsGirthyguy

It's all very odd.

SB

I'm with you. Until maybe we get found out a bit and drop a few points which is inevitable then I would keep it as it is. Its nice to have all these options though.
Did we play wingbacks all night? on 09:33 - Sep 4 with 1057 viewsGuthrum

It's all very odd.

SB

The problem is we actually have (for once) more good quality players than we can fit on the pitch at once. People are desperately trying to shoehorn in every newly-revealed star performer, despite the fact the existing team has been doing equally well.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 09:34 - Sep 4 with 1045 viewsGuthrum

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 09:31 - Sep 4 by Herbivore

Town fans have a weird obsession with playing three at the back.

Because it allows us to play more attackers and fewer defenders. Defenders are boring, all-out attack is much more fun.

Login to get fewer ads

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 09:35 - Sep 4 with 1043 viewsHerbivore

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 09:34 - Sep 4 by Guthrum

Because it allows us to play more attackers and fewer defenders. Defenders are boring, all-out attack is much more fun.

Does it? We'd be playing 5 defenders rather than 4.

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 09:36 - Sep 4 with 1040 viewsNthQldITFC

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 08:54 - Sep 4 by Herbivore

I don't think it suits our personell at all. We have wingers in Edwards, Rowe and Georgiou, as well as Garbutt who is most comfortable playing there. Dobra, El Miz and Lankester can all play wide too.

We don't have the CBs to play three at the back. We have no left footer and only Woolfenden is remotely comfortable on the ball. All of our CBs lack a bit of mobility which is needed in a back three where you're frequently having to cover the full back areas as well as the centre of the pitch.

I don't see any value in switching to three at the back, especially as we're getting results playing as we are.

I agree, but its great to have the flexibility to be able to switch to 5-3-2/3-5-2 in some situations as a change to such a different system within a game can give the opposition a real headache.

Also asking the players (particularly the younger ones) to be disciplined and concentrate on playing in a way they are not so familiar with, is great for their tactical development.

So I'm all for trying it out in what is arguably a meaningless competition.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 09:43 - Sep 4 with 1014 viewsGuthrum

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 09:35 - Sep 4 by Herbivore

Does it? We'd be playing 5 defenders rather than 4.

People don't think of wingbacks as defenders, they're expected to spend all the time up the pitch putting in crosses.

Then the fans grumble when they're caught out of position.

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 09:45 - Sep 4 with 1001 viewsHerbivore

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 09:43 - Sep 4 by Guthrum

People don't think of wingbacks as defenders, they're expected to spend all the time up the pitch putting in crosses.

Then the fans grumble when they're caught out of position.

But KVY would be playing at full back anyway, potentially Garbutt might when fit. In the OP's line up we're basically sacrificing a winger like Edwards for Toto Nsiala. I'm not a fan.

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 09:50 - Sep 4 with 990 viewsGuthrum

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 09:45 - Sep 4 by Herbivore

But KVY would be playing at full back anyway, potentially Garbutt might when fit. In the OP's line up we're basically sacrificing a winger like Edwards for Toto Nsiala. I'm not a fan.

Neither am I.

Think it comes from the top-end Prem, where you might have three high-quality, ball-playing CBs in the squad and clever, game-reading players with the athletic ability to get up and down the wings fast enough. Plus attackers who can keep hold of the ball most of the time.

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:55 - Sep 4 with 980 viewsMrTown

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 09:56 - Sep 4 with 978 viewsHerbivore

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 09:50 - Sep 4 by Guthrum

Neither am I.

Think it comes from the top-end Prem, where you might have three high-quality, ball-playing CBs in the squad and clever, game-reading players with the athletic ability to get up and down the wings fast enough. Plus attackers who can keep hold of the ball most of the time.

Even in the Prem it's unusual to see a 3-5-2 these days. Some sides play a 3-4-3 with just the one central striker so that you have a bit more cover out wide. Agree with you entirely that it needs centre backs who can play and we don't really have those, I'm also not sold on the idea of having no left footer in a back three. Whoever is on the left isn't going to be very comfortable playing there.

What I wouldn't be averse to is the 4-4-2 with a narrow midfield diamond. Playing that way, Skuse as the holding midfielder can drop back and sit in to create a temporary back three when the full backs, who are basically wing backs in such a system, are high up the pitch and we lose possession.

The squad does have options though, we've got some decent wide players as well as a glut of central midfielders and that enables us to mix things up when needed.

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 10:06 - Sep 4 with 954 viewsGuthrum

Did we play wingbacks all night? on 09:56 - Sep 4 by Herbivore

Even in the Prem it's unusual to see a 3-5-2 these days. Some sides play a 3-4-3 with just the one central striker so that you have a bit more cover out wide. Agree with you entirely that it needs centre backs who can play and we don't really have those, I'm also not sold on the idea of having no left footer in a back three. Whoever is on the left isn't going to be very comfortable playing there.

What I wouldn't be averse to is the 4-4-2 with a narrow midfield diamond. Playing that way, Skuse as the holding midfielder can drop back and sit in to create a temporary back three when the full backs, who are basically wing backs in such a system, are high up the pitch and we lose possession.

The squad does have options though, we've got some decent wide players as well as a glut of central midfielders and that enables us to mix things up when needed.

That works, given our numbers of quality CMs. But I think it more likely we'll just see lots of rotation and use of substitutes.

I know we've seen lots of early goals, but I do detect an underlying philosophy of setting up to be very solid, then applying attacking pressure later in the match. Which is why the middle part of games tend to be rather stagnant.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024