Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexiteers on Facebook 15:15 - Sep 4 with 2185 viewsMattinLondon

Hello
On my Facebook feed I have a few Brexit types who post images of Churchill and other national symbols to highlight the ‘fact’ that Brexit is being pro-British.

Does anyone know if Churchill actually pro-European? Thought I read somewhere that he wS
Brexiteers on Facebook on 15:16 - Sep 4 with 2171 viewswkj

He certainly was one of the founding fathers of the EU for sure

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Brexiteers on Facebook on 15:20 - Sep 4 with 2147 viewsPinewoodblue

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/3d6bbabc-7122-11e6-a0c9-1365ce54

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Brexiteers on Facebook on 15:22 - Sep 4 with 2138 viewsclive_baker

There are different school's of thought. He's credited as being one of the founding fathers of the EU in Brussels, but also it's suggested he that he was something of a euro-sceptic. Either way, the sort of chumps that post Churchill images on facebook to demonstrate their Britishness probably aren't going to listen to a reasoned argument on why it might or might not be ironic in this context.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Brexiteers on Facebook on 15:24 - Sep 4 with 2127 viewsGuthrum

Yes, very much so. In the aftermath of the Second World War, he was very keen to promote some sort of more or less formal European association, in order to prevent similar conflicts occurring again.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Brexiteers on Facebook on 16:02 - Sep 4 with 2051 viewsitfcjoe

I've given up on Facebook, it truly is the pits now

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Brexiteers on Facebook on 16:17 - Sep 4 with 2000 viewsjaykay

Brexiteers on Facebook on 16:02 - Sep 4 by itfcjoe

is this facebook thing , where people tell the world what they have for tea, or as young girls of my generation hid their diaries from their parents this generation of girls use facebook as a diary for the world to see.
as never been on facebook just heard people speak about it, what is the point of it

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Brexiteers on Facebook on 16:23 - Sep 4 with 1974 viewsitfcjoe

Brexiteers on Facebook on 16:17 - Sep 4 by jaykay

is this facebook thing , where people tell the world what they have for tea, or as young girls of my generation hid their diaries from their parents this generation of girls use facebook as a diary for the world to see.
as never been on facebook just heard people speak about it, what is the point of it

It used to be a good way of staying in touch with friends who you aren't close geographically too - announcing of major news and sharing photos etc and just selling tat.

WhatsApp has sort of ended that, and Facebook is just full of mad old people who live their life on it now.

It was great when i had just finished uni and still serves a purpose for some people, but just isn't worth it any more other than the odd snoop on people to see how they are doing when you are bored.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Brexiteers on Facebook on 16:24 - Sep 4 with 1971 viewswkj

Brexiteers on Facebook on 16:17 - Sep 4 by jaykay

The point of it is much the same as on here, post something for a bit of acknowledgement, and let our posts be used to help dictate the best type of advertisement we should be subjected to.

Crybaby

Login to get fewer ads

Brexiteers on Facebook on 16:24 - Sep 4 with 1974 viewsfactual_blue

brexiteers have absolutely no grasp of British history.

Churchill was very firmly in favour of greater European economic unity/integration to prevent further war.

It's worth remembering that the two longest periods of peace in Europe (involving the major powers) were when the Congress of Vienna agreement was in place, and since 1945.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Brexiteers on Facebook on 18:02 - Sep 4 with 1859 viewsGaryCooper

Brexiteers on Facebook on 16:02 - Sep 4 by itfcjoe

Is Facebook not just selections from ones friends?
Brexiteers on Facebook on 18:56 - Sep 4 with 1800 viewsMalcolmBlue

Yes, in fact he suggested a United States of Europe...also his grandson is Nicholas Soames, one of the 21 Conservative MPs who was sacked for trying to block a no-deal Brexit. So to use Churchill in that fashion is grossly ill-informed.

Poll: Is Theresa May the "Paul Hurst" of politics?

Brexiteers on Facebook on 19:01 - Sep 4 with 1787 viewsWeWereZombies

Brexiteers on Facebook on 16:24 - Sep 4 by wkj

The point of it is much the same as on here, post something for a bit of acknowledgement, and let our posts be used to help dictate the best type of advertisement we should be subjected to.

But I have seen no wood for days...

Should I change my diet?

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Brexiteers on Facebook on 19:04 - Sep 4 with 1780 viewswkj

Brexiteers on Facebook on 19:01 - Sep 4 by WeWereZombies

But I have seen no wood for days...

Should I change my diet?

If Jack's son keeps scoring all my hazel then no wood is the least of my worries, some one has an appetite for breaking onto my property and nicking things, oddly at the same time callis came back for a nibble.

Crybaby

Brexiteers on Facebook on 19:07 - Sep 4 with 1774 viewsWeWereZombies

Brexiteers on Facebook on 19:04 - Sep 4 by wkj

If Jack's son keeps scoring all my hazel then no wood is the least of my worries, some one has an appetite for breaking onto my property and nicking things, oddly at the same time callis came back for a nibble.

So my problem with no wood might just be old age creeping up on me?

There must be some type of Johnson let down pun here

but I cannot find it
[Post edited 4 Sep 2019 19:09]

Brexiteers on Facebook on 19:09 - Sep 4 with 1768 viewswkj

Brexiteers on Facebook on 19:07 - Sep 4 by WeWereZombies

So my problem with no wood might just be old age creeping up on me?

There must be some type of Johnson let down pun here

but I cannot find it
[Post edited 4 Sep 2019 19:09]

To be fair im on my 5th glass of win, so I probably wont be that helpful in helping you find it

Crybaby

Brexiteers on Facebook on 19:10 - Sep 4 with 1761 viewsWeWereZombies

Brexiteers on Facebook on 19:09 - Sep 4 by wkj

To be fair im on my 5th glass of win, so I probably wont be that helpful in helping you find it

It's OK, the Angela Lansbury avatar and the thought of her helplessly drunk has done the trick...

Brexiteers on Facebook on 19:55 - Sep 4 with 1705 viewsfactual_blue

And also in May 1940, he had (in tandem with de Gaulle) drawn up an agreement to merge the French and British governments.

(This was prevented by the rapid German conquest of France)

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Brexiteers on Facebook on 20:32 - Sep 4 with 1670 viewsWeWereZombies

Brexiteers on Facebook on 19:55 - Sep 4 by factual_blue

And also in May 1940, he had (in tandem with de Gaulle) drawn up an agreement to merge the French and British governments.

(This was prevented by the rapid German conquest of France)

Not sure about your dates there, from what I read In Churchill's 'History of the Second World War', De Gaulle had very little to do with the drafting of the document but went along with it when it was presented to him in the desperate circumstances on 15th June, 1940. The architect of the plan was Jean Monnet of the French Economic Mission in London:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-British_Union#World_War_II_(1940)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024