Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! 00:10 - Sep 6 with 3943 viewsElderGrizzly

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 00:37 - Sep 6 with 3329 viewsJ2BLUE

What then? The Tories all vote no confidence and the opposition all vote that they do have confidence to avoid triggering the election early?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 01:14 - Sep 6 with 3294 viewsSarge

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 00:37 - Sep 6 by J2BLUE

What then? The Tories all vote no confidence and the opposition all vote that they do have confidence to avoid triggering the election early?

If the Tories vote no confidence in themselves and the opposition agree then there would be a chance for an alternative government to try and win its own confidence vote which would bypass an election.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46393399
Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 06:39 - Sep 6 with 3161 viewsIpswichKnight

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 01:14 - Sep 6 by Sarge

If the Tories vote no confidence in themselves and the opposition agree then there would be a chance for an alternative government to try and win its own confidence vote which would bypass an election.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46393399

It’s up to the PM to go to the Queen and say I can’t form a government you need to call Jeremy. Nothing to stop the PM from telling the Queen no one can form a government and letting 2 weeks pass I think it is before going back and saying we can’t form a government you need to dissolve parliament and we will call an election. I suspect that is the plan.
Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 08:18 - Sep 6 with 3052 viewsGuthrum

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 06:39 - Sep 6 by IpswichKnight

It’s up to the PM to go to the Queen and say I can’t form a government you need to call Jeremy. Nothing to stop the PM from telling the Queen no one can form a government and letting 2 weeks pass I think it is before going back and saying we can’t form a government you need to dissolve parliament and we will call an election. I suspect that is the plan.

Not quite the case. Flat-out lying to the Queen would not be acceptable and she does have the right to disagree under circumstances like that.

The biggest difficulty would be trying to put some sort of majority alternative together in as little as a fortnight. Would Labour accept any other figurehead than Corbyn? Would the LibDems and SNP accept him at all? Would it be a coalition with ministers drawn from all parties, or a looser alliance with all being from one?

Reckon it would end up like transfer deadline day.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 08:27 - Sep 6 with 3022 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 00:37 - Sep 6 by J2BLUE

Politically puts labour in an impossible situation.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 08:51 - Sep 6 with 2992 viewsHerbivore

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 08:27 - Sep 6 by GlasgowBlue

Does it not put the Tories in an impossible position when they are voting that they have no confidence in themselves?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 09:02 - Sep 6 with 2967 viewsElephantintheRoom

Suicidal if they do because that would add leverage to the united government of national interest with we effectively now have.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 09:05 - Sep 6 with 2959 viewsStokieBlue

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 08:51 - Sep 6 by Herbivore

Does it not put the Tories in an impossible position when they are voting that they have no confidence in themselves?

It depends if their voters look at it as having no confidence or as a cunning ploy to force a GE campaign before the 31st.

It's actually quite a clever idea. Hugely dishonest and against the spirit of the rules but quite creative. It's a shame they couldn't have turned that creativity towards making a viable Brexit position which works for us and the EU.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 09:09 - Sep 6 with 2943 viewsHerbivore

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 09:05 - Sep 6 by StokieBlue

It depends if their voters look at it as having no confidence or as a cunning ploy to force a GE campaign before the 31st.

It's actually quite a clever idea. Hugely dishonest and against the spirit of the rules but quite creative. It's a shame they couldn't have turned that creativity towards making a viable Brexit position which works for us and the EU.

SB

If we had an honest and balanced press then a government voting that it has no confidence in itself ought to see that government rendering itself unelectable.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 09:09 - Sep 6 with 2943 viewsBeckets

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 09:05 - Sep 6 by StokieBlue

SB

Couldn’t agree more. What a shame that all their efforts are going into a way of bringing about the lazy way of No Deal and not putting those efforts into getting a deal. Classic Johnson.
Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 09:12 - Sep 6 with 2930 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sneaky little fockers.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 09:22 - Sep 6 with 2908 viewsIpswichKnight

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 08:18 - Sep 6 by Guthrum

Not quite the case. Flat-out lying to the Queen would not be acceptable and she does have the right to disagree under circumstances like that.

The biggest difficulty would be trying to put some sort of majority alternative together in as little as a fortnight. Would Labour accept any other figurehead than Corbyn? Would the LibDems and SNP accept him at all? Would it be a coalition with ministers drawn from all parties, or a looser alliance with all being from one?

Reckon it would end up like transfer deadline day.

I can't see how a JC led minority governement ( and it would be as the 43 Tories who voted against him would all bad 1 or 2 exceptions vote against him in a no confidence motion ) would survive for long. He would have to offer the SNP a referendum on Scottish independence to get there support that would be unacceptable to the Tories and the Liberals, he would have to offer another referendum with 3 options to appease the Liberals that would be unacceptable to some in his own party and the Tories. Caroline Lucas would have to swallow her principles to vote with him as the Labour energy policy is as far removed from Green energy polices as can be ( McDonall on record as saying the pits would re-open and so would coal fired power stations ).

It's a total mess we do need an election. If an election is held around the 14th it does give Remain parties a chance to come together and win as a block and go to the EU council meeting on the 21st October and get an extension.

If we are feeling really devious and conspiracy minded nothing to stop Boris from going to this meeting on the 21st proposing an extension then using the UK's veto ( it will require a full majority to get an extension ) and blocking it and forcing us out on the 31st anyway!
Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 09:25 - Sep 6 with 2899 viewsWeWereZombies

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 09:12 - Sep 6 by Swansea_Blue

Sneaky little fockers.

I don't know, I have mornings when I wake up and feel like that...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 09:32 - Sep 6 with 2878 viewsElderGrizzly

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 09:37 - Sep 6 with 2854 viewsGuthrum

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 09:22 - Sep 6 by IpswichKnight

I can't see how a JC led minority governement ( and it would be as the 43 Tories who voted against him would all bad 1 or 2 exceptions vote against him in a no confidence motion ) would survive for long. He would have to offer the SNP a referendum on Scottish independence to get there support that would be unacceptable to the Tories and the Liberals, he would have to offer another referendum with 3 options to appease the Liberals that would be unacceptable to some in his own party and the Tories. Caroline Lucas would have to swallow her principles to vote with him as the Labour energy policy is as far removed from Green energy polices as can be ( McDonall on record as saying the pits would re-open and so would coal fired power stations ).

It's a total mess we do need an election. If an election is held around the 14th it does give Remain parties a chance to come together and win as a block and go to the EU council meeting on the 21st October and get an extension.

If we are feeling really devious and conspiracy minded nothing to stop Boris from going to this meeting on the 21st proposing an extension then using the UK's veto ( it will require a full majority to get an extension ) and blocking it and forcing us out on the 31st anyway!

I don't think you are able to veto a motion you yourself are proposing. Moreover, I'm pretty sure it's only the EU27 who have to be unanimous.

The idea of a National Government under these circumstances is not to survive for a long time, but to avoid No Deal by securing an extension, then to have a General Election.

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 09:47 - Sep 6 with 2814 viewslinhdi

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 09:37 - Sep 6 by Guthrum

I don't think you are able to veto a motion you yourself are proposing. Moreover, I'm pretty sure it's only the EU27 who have to be unanimous.

The idea of a National Government under these circumstances is not to survive for a long time, but to avoid No Deal by securing an extension, then to have a General Election.

It has been suggested that UK govt has asked the Hungarians is they'd please veto the extension request!!! That'll play well with rest of EU27.
Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 09:55 - Sep 6 with 2772 viewsPinewoodblue

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 09:37 - Sep 6 by Guthrum

Should the 27 offer an extension longer than three months Johnson could veto that, if the EU then said no to three months we end up leaving without a deal.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 10:00 - Sep 6 with 2758 viewsGuthrum

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 09:47 - Sep 6 by linhdi

It has been suggested that UK govt has asked the Hungarians is they'd please veto the extension request!!! That'll play well with rest of EU27.

The Hungarians have their own fish to fry. They might object to the liberal aspects of the EU, but they like its economic support. Playing Loki at this point would not help their position. Tho they might try to use it as leverage.

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 10:02 - Sep 6 with 2752 viewsDarth_Koont

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 09:47 - Sep 6 by linhdi

Right-wing, populist, islamophobic and Netanyahu-approved antisemites stick together.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2019 10:03]

Pronouns: He/Him

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 10:04 - Sep 6 with 2734 viewsGuthrum

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 09:55 - Sep 6 by Pinewoodblue

Should the 27 offer an extension longer than three months Johnson could veto that, if the EU then said no to three months we end up leaving without a deal.

Given these are practical people, not inflexible fanatics, I doubt that would happen. They don't want to precipitate No Deal unnecessarily, nor do they want to be seen as the ones forcing it on the UK.

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 10:18 - Sep 6 with 2697 viewsBlueRaider

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 08:27 - Sep 6 by GlasgowBlue

The Tories will probably abstain

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 10:25 - Sep 6 with 2668 viewsjaykay

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 06:39 - Sep 6 by IpswichKnight

strange i thought you were bored with all this brexit thing

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 11:14 - Sep 6 with 2607 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 08:51 - Sep 6 by Herbivore

Not really. The public are aware that the Tories want a GE but they perceive that Labour are reluctant. The Tories will use this to say Corbyn is scared.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 11:55 - Sep 6 with 2556 viewsBrixtonBlue

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 11:14 - Sep 6 by GlasgowBlue

Not really. The public are aware that the Tories want a GE but they perceive that Labour are reluctant. The Tories will use this to say Corbyn is scared.

I thought you said the other day that Corbyn has asked for a General Election every day for the last 4 years?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Tories putting forward a vote of no confidence in themselves?! on 11:56 - Sep 6 with 2554 viewsBrixtonBlue

If anyone votes at a General Election for a government that has put forward a vote of no confidence in itself, they want their head read!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024