Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Amber Rudd has quit... 21:14 - Sep 7 with 17615 viewsEastTownBlue

...the cabinet and the Tory whip

Amber Rudd has quit... on 09:55 - Sep 8 with 2249 viewsblueislander

Amber Rudd has quit... on 09:31 - Sep 8 by artsbossbeard

Boris himself told us not to worry about a No Deal (Clean Break) Brexit as we'd be walking away with a great deal.

Boris says a lot of things.

It was a million to one a few weeks ago. I wish I had taken those odds, although I don’t think any bookies were offering them. I wonder if anyone will attempt to compile a full list of Boris’ lies for the election campaign?
Amber Rudd has quit... on 09:58 - Sep 8 with 2238 viewsfooters

Amber Rudd has quit... on 09:50 - Sep 8 by factual_blue

I've done a stint. It's greatly over-rated.

Welcome back any time, Mr Grayling.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:01 - Sep 8 with 2228 viewsblueislander

Amber Rudd has quit... on 09:58 - Sep 8 by footers

Factors ’ stint was in the Pitt the Younger cabinet.
Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:03 - Sep 8 with 2215 viewsGuthrum

Amber Rudd has quit... on 09:55 - Sep 8 by blueislander

It was a million to one a few weeks ago. I wish I had taken those odds, although I don’t think any bookies were offering them. I wonder if anyone will attempt to compile a full list of Boris’ lies for the election campaign?

That would make for rather a big leaflet.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:05 - Sep 8 with 2195 viewsblueislander

Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:03 - Sep 8 by Guthrum

That would make for rather a big leaflet.

Sitters could do it using acronyms.
Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:07 - Sep 8 with 2196 viewsGuthrum

Amber Rudd has quit... on 22:52 - Sep 7 by tabletopjoe

What she was doing in the cabinet was a mystery, she’s never been interested in Brexit.

And Johnson has replaced her with ... another Remainer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35616946
[Post edited 8 Sep 2019 10:16]

Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:17 - Sep 8 with 2166 viewstabletopjoe

Amber Rudd has quit... on 06:01 - Sep 8 by Tonytown

And for that you must blame the people who have been negotiating a deal that they know won’t get through Parliament and also Cameron for asking a binary question to a complex issue.

May should have involved all parties in the negotiations to ensure that any deal would have had cross party support.

How barmy is it to present a deal that the DUP can’t accept, when she needs their votes to win?

It has been clear for a while now that Johnson is not interested in getting a deal, just looking to run down the clock, crash out with no deal and then blame the EU and Corbyn for everything.

Of course now it’s the fault of speaker Bercow for allowing last weeks vote and Corbyn for not agreeing to a General Election.

Hopefully a few more sort of moderate Tories will jump ship soon, although I’m not sure that I had Amber Rudd down as a moderate before now.

Strange times indeed.

The more parties you involve in the negotiation, the more likely you will get disagreement. The whole process has lacked robust leadership, the most important ingredient.

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:19 - Sep 8 with 2166 viewstabletopjoe

Amber Rudd has quit... on 08:20 - Sep 8 by Guthrum

A fairly slim majority voted in favour of leaving the EU under the (false) promise that it would be a quick and easy process, saving the country large amounts of money - not that it would remain a party political matter with no attempt at national consensus, that three years would be wasted on half-hearted negotiation and the government destroying their own Commons majority, that Brexit's noisiest advocates would also be the people most vocally rejecting and voting against the deal when it was presented, that we would be left, only half-prepared, with the worst and most damaging option on the table.

Yet you put the blame at the feet of those who warned it would not go smoothly from the start, those who were prepared to back a deal against their Remainer inclinations, those who are now working to prevent an outcome we were promised would not need to happen.

Enjoying your little straw man, I’m not taking sides there. I’m pointing out that the more parliament chooses to ignore the majority, the more trouble there is to come.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2019 10:21]

Login to get fewer ads

Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:21 - Sep 8 with 2160 viewsblueislander

Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:17 - Sep 8 by tabletopjoe

The more parties you involve in the negotiation, the more likely you will get disagreement. The whole process has lacked robust leadership, the most important ingredient.

It now seems obvious that May negotiated the best possible deal with the EU . The ERG faction and the Labour Party didn’t support it to further their own selfish agendas.
Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:27 - Sep 8 with 2148 viewscrunchie1978

Amber Rudd has quit... on 09:55 - Sep 8 by BanksterDebtSlave

Crunchie lad I voted the same way as you at the referendum because given the choice and based on many of their actions I could not bring myself to consent to membership. However you need to know that you are being played by a subset of Tories who give not a stuff about you or people like you.
I also get that having Remain hoards telling you for 3 years that you(like me) are a bit thick can encourage you to double down on your position regardless of who is claiming to represent it....it's just human psychology innit. So a lesson to remainers too.
Anyway maybe we all need to take a step back and try to be honest about how we got to where we are.....but being played by politicians is never a good look.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2019 10:01]

Well I must agree with you there bankster a great post.
It makes no difference what party people vote for.....the government will always get in!
Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:36 - Sep 8 with 2128 viewsSwansea_Blue

Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:21 - Sep 8 by blueislander

It now seems obvious that May negotiated the best possible deal with the EU . The ERG faction and the Labour Party didn’t support it to further their own selfish agendas.

The best possible given her red lines maybe, but there are 4 or 5 better types of relationship we could have, depending on our priorities. Of course the best ‘deal’ is the one we already have, but obviously that isn’t going to fly with Brexiteer MPs or their supporters.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:36 - Sep 8 with 2129 viewsGuthrum

Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:19 - Sep 8 by tabletopjoe

Enjoying your little straw man, I’m not taking sides there. I’m pointing out that the more parliament chooses to ignore the majority, the more trouble there is to come.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2019 10:21]

And you are thinking there would be no trouble from the other half of the country if we are forced into a No Deal scenario which costs jobs, reduces prosperity and affects our standards of living? This excercise is going to have lasting ill effects whatever the outcome.

In 2017, 98.2% of votes were cast for parties which explicitly backed leaving the EU with a deal, avoiding No Deal or remaining in the EU. 1.8% voted for a party which was prepared to contemplate No Deal, but would prefer a deal. There is no majority in favour of leaving without a deal. Nothing which has been done in the last week prevents Brexit from happening (indeed the Opposition - officially - and many of the Conservative rebels are still in favour of it).

Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:38 - Sep 8 with 2123 viewsFPL_Tractor

Amber Rudd has quit... on 21:56 - Sep 7 by syntaxerror

Yep its a war isn't it. Gotta root out the traitors.

Just remind me exactly who we are fighting?

We are fighting experts, logic and economic sense.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:41 - Sep 8 with 2118 viewsGuthrum

Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:17 - Sep 8 by tabletopjoe

It lacked any serious attempt to get a national consensus on what the criteria were for an acceptable Brexit before negotiations were started. Instead the PM was not even able to carry the whole of her own party, let alone attracting any of the opposition.

Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:44 - Sep 8 with 2108 viewsfactual_blue

Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:01 - Sep 8 by blueislander

Factors ’ stint was in the Pitt the Younger cabinet.

Ahem - it was the 1806 Ministry of All the Talents. I was Treasurer of the Navy. Actually.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:45 - Sep 8 with 2107 viewsfactual_blue

Amber Rudd has quit... on 09:58 - Sep 8 by footers

I'm not quite that stupid.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:46 - Sep 8 with 2104 viewsfooters

Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:45 - Sep 8 by factual_blue

I'm not quite that stupid.

Pride comes before a fall, dear boy.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:46 - Sep 8 with 2104 viewsRyorry

Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:41 - Sep 8 by Guthrum

It lacked any serious attempt to get a national consensus on what the criteria were for an acceptable Brexit before negotiations were started. Instead the PM was not even able to carry the whole of her own party, let alone attracting any of the opposition.

In other words, lacked enough politicians with the intelligence and integrity to put the national interest before their own ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Amber Rudd has quit... on 11:01 - Sep 8 with 2080 viewsGuthrum

Amber Rudd has quit... on 09:55 - Sep 8 by BanksterDebtSlave

Crunchie lad I voted the same way as you at the referendum because given the choice and based on many of their actions I could not bring myself to consent to membership. However you need to know that you are being played by a subset of Tories who give not a stuff about you or people like you.
I also get that having Remain hoards telling you for 3 years that you(like me) are a bit thick can encourage you to double down on your position regardless of who is claiming to represent it....it's just human psychology innit. So a lesson to remainers too.
Anyway maybe we all need to take a step back and try to be honest about how we got to where we are.....but being played by politicians is never a good look.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2019 10:01]

I don't blame the people who voted for Brexit in the hopes of improving their economic, social and sovreignty conditions. They only wanted to improve their and their families lives, naturally jumping at the hope offered.

I blame the people who presented that as an easily achievable outcome, then did very few of the right things to bring that to pass, before now pushing an option that will benefit very few on the basis of a narrow vote in favour of something which was actually quite different.

Amber Rudd has quit... on 12:07 - Sep 8 with 2024 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Amber Rudd has quit... on 11:01 - Sep 8 by Guthrum

I don't blame the people who voted for Brexit in the hopes of improving their economic, social and sovreignty conditions. They only wanted to improve their and their families lives, naturally jumping at the hope offered.

I blame the people who presented that as an easily achievable outcome, then did very few of the right things to bring that to pass, before now pushing an option that will benefit very few on the basis of a narrow vote in favour of something which was actually quite different.

Absolutely and to your credit you have not stoked the fires by telling people that they are thick, ignorant etc.... Those that have need to accept there part in digging the trenches.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Amber Rudd has quit... on 12:18 - Sep 8 with 1998 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Amber Rudd has quit... on 12:07 - Sep 8 by BanksterDebtSlave

Absolutely and to your credit you have not stoked the fires by telling people that they are thick, ignorant etc.... Those that have need to accept there part in digging the trenches.

You, Sir, are on fine form this fine Sunday morning.
I doff my cap to you.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Amber Rudd has quit... on 12:25 - Sep 8 with 1980 viewsPinewoodblue

Amber Rudd has quit... on 12:07 - Sep 8 by BanksterDebtSlave

The trenches were already being dug before the referendum vote.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Amber Rudd has quit... on 12:28 - Sep 8 with 1967 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Amber Rudd has quit... on 12:25 - Sep 8 by Pinewoodblue

The trenches were already being dug before the referendum vote.

True but they are now so deep that the ladders no longer allow an exit.

Amber Rudd has quit... on 12:34 - Sep 8 with 1954 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Amber Rudd has quit... on 12:18 - Sep 8 by StochesStotasBlewe

You, Sir, are on fine form this fine Sunday morning.
I doff my cap to you.

Thanks, must be something about gardening that makes for fine, balanced and rounded Human beings heh Sir Pinewood!

Amber Rudd has quit... on 12:36 - Sep 8 with 1953 viewstabletopjoe

Amber Rudd has quit... on 10:36 - Sep 8 by Guthrum

And you are thinking there would be no trouble from the other half of the country if we are forced into a No Deal scenario which costs jobs, reduces prosperity and affects our standards of living? This excercise is going to have lasting ill effects whatever the outcome.

In 2017, 98.2% of votes were cast for parties which explicitly backed leaving the EU with a deal, avoiding No Deal or remaining in the EU. 1.8% voted for a party which was prepared to contemplate No Deal, but would prefer a deal. There is no majority in favour of leaving without a deal. Nothing which has been done in the last week prevents Brexit from happening (indeed the Opposition - officially - and many of the Conservative rebels are still in favour of it).

Still got a sack of that straw left over from last time? I don’t think that and I didn’t say that. One more time for the hard of hearing: if the majority vote of the referendum is ignored, then the demons that rise from this will be the legacy. We’re already starting to see it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024