Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BA pilots 13:35 - Sep 9 with 3387 viewsSitfcB

Greedy

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

BA pilots on 13:35 - Sep 9 with 1762 viewsSpruceMoose

Coincidentally doing some good for the environment today though...

Anyway:

"Balpa has rejected a pay rise of 11.9% over three years, arguing for a profit share for its members, who have accepted cuts to pay and pensions in previous years but now argue they should get more because the company is posting record profits."

Sounds fair enough to me.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2019 13:37]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

BA pilots on 13:37 - Sep 9 with 1759 viewsfooters

Pilots are actually seriously over-worked and underpaid for what they do. If you saw a standard BA pilot's schedule and remuneration, you may well be surprised.

Dunno about anyone else, but I'd quite like the next flight I get on to be piloted by someone well rested and happy in their job.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

BA pilots on 13:39 - Sep 9 with 1731 viewsSpruceMoose

BA pilots on 13:37 - Sep 9 by footers

Pilots are actually seriously over-worked and underpaid for what they do. If you saw a standard BA pilot's schedule and remuneration, you may well be surprised.

Dunno about anyone else, but I'd quite like the next flight I get on to be piloted by someone well rested and happy in their job.

Nah. I'm over experts. Let Joe the transit driver have a crack at nailing that landing at Gibraltar International. Besides, these planes fly themselves these days.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

BA pilots on 13:42 - Sep 9 with 1709 viewsStokieBlue

I guess it's all relative. They said the average was ~100k and it's debatable how much they actually do during a flight nowadays - autopilots do virtually everything (up to 90% of the journey) but of course we still need them to be there.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-truths/confessions-of-an-airline-pilot

Either way I think their reasoning is pretty sound - they didn't get anything during the bad times so no issue with asking for something during the good. I don't like that they are affecting peoples holidays though. Shame it couldn't be resolved another way.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

BA pilots on 13:43 - Sep 9 with 1694 viewsfactual_blue

BA pilots on 13:39 - Sep 9 by SpruceMoose

Nah. I'm over experts. Let Joe the transit driver have a crack at nailing that landing at Gibraltar International. Besides, these planes fly themselves these days.

Mrs Factual actually flew an F-15. Well, the simulator.

She actually took off (quite an achievement apparently).

But then crashed.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

BA pilots on 13:43 - Sep 9 with 1686 viewsStokieBlue

Whilst I agree with your point they do literally fly themselves these days. Pilots often do the landings but they don't always do those either.

SB

BA pilots on 13:44 - Sep 9 with 1682 viewsSpruceMoose

BA pilots on 13:42 - Sep 9 by StokieBlue

I guess it's all relative. They said the average was ~100k and it's debatable how much they actually do during a flight nowadays - autopilots do virtually everything (up to 90% of the journey) but of course we still need them to be there.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-truths/confessions-of-an-airline-pilot

Either way I think their reasoning is pretty sound - they didn't get anything during the bad times so no issue with asking for something during the good. I don't like that they are affecting peoples holidays though. Shame it couldn't be resolved another way.

SB

For anyone interested in the piloting life the Askthepilot blog from Patrick Smith is a pretty fun and enlightening read sometimes.

BA pilots on 13:44 - Sep 9 with 1678 viewsSpruceMoose

BA pilots on 13:43 - Sep 9 by factual_blue

Mrs Factual actually flew an F-15. Well, the simulator.

She actually took off (quite an achievement apparently).

But then crashed.

Not how I'd like to start my holiday really.

Login to get fewer ads

BA pilots on 13:45 - Sep 9 with 1668 viewschicoazul

They literally just sit there press a few buttons and shag the inflight attendants.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

BA pilots on 13:45 - Sep 9 with 1668 viewsfactual_blue

BA pilots on 13:44 - Sep 9 by SpruceMoose

Not how I'd like to start my holiday really.

Factual Airlines. £12.99 to any destination.

Bring your own seat and body bag.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

BA pilots on 13:46 - Sep 9 with 1662 viewsfooters

SB

I didn't realise the amount of work they had to do pre, during and after too. Even that alone, with the logs and checks and things, it's still an incredible amount.

With that and all the being away from home/family, it's not a job I'd ever consider!

BA pilots on 13:47 - Sep 9 with 1663 viewsPrideOfTheEast

SB

I suppose they’re striking outside the main school holiday aren’t they, which if they’re going to strike is about as good as it gets.

I always fly BA but now need to go to Singapore 4x a year starting next month. Got to be honest I’m tempted to switch because the product just isn’t as good as the alternatives.
BA pilots on 13:47 - Sep 9 with 1655 viewsfooters

BA pilots on 13:45 - Sep 9 by chicoazul

They literally just sit there press a few buttons and shag the inflight attendants.

That's a bit like your job, then. Only without the inflight attendants ;)

BA pilots on 13:47 - Sep 9 with 1656 viewsSpruceMoose

BA pilots on 13:43 - Sep 9 by StokieBlue

Whilst I agree with your point they do literally fly themselves these days. Pilots often do the landings but they don't always do those either.

SB

Well maybe, but it's not all that common I believe and anyway the point is, if they needed to fly the plane manually, they could. I don't want to have to rely on cabin crew to rush to the flightdeck to try and fly the plane should the need arise.

Pilots are responsible for many lives (and incredibly expensive equipment). I reckon it's fair enough that if their employer is making record profits then they should be allowed to get their beaks wet.

BA pilots on 13:48 - Sep 9 with 1654 viewsGuthrum

Not to mention the length and cost of training, a chunk of which has to be bourne by the candidate.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

BA pilots on 13:49 - Sep 9 with 1640 viewsStokieBlue

BA pilots on 13:47 - Sep 9 by PrideOfTheEast

I suppose they’re striking outside the main school holiday aren’t they, which if they’re going to strike is about as good as it gets.

I always fly BA but now need to go to Singapore 4x a year starting next month. Got to be honest I’m tempted to switch because the product just isn’t as good as the alternatives.

BA aren't great. If you are going to Singapore you really should fly Singaporean who are excellent.

Enjoy the hawker centres!

SB

BA pilots on 13:49 - Sep 9 with 1635 viewsSpruceMoose

BA pilots on 13:47 - Sep 9 by footers

That's a bit like your job, then. Only without the inflight attendants ;)

Come now, they haven't fully automated the job of putting staples in the stapler just yet.

BA pilots on 13:50 - Sep 9 with 1632 viewsSpruceMoose

BA pilots on 13:49 - Sep 9 by StokieBlue

BA aren't great. If you are going to Singapore you really should fly Singaporean who are excellent.

SB

Indeed. BA have really fallen behind the crowd, especially long haul.

BA pilots on 13:50 - Sep 9 with 1628 viewsfooters

BA pilots on 13:49 - Sep 9 by StokieBlue

SB

Singapore Airline's satay burger remains the best thing I have ever eaten on a plane. Take that how you will.

BA pilots on 13:50 - Sep 9 with 1625 viewsStokieBlue

BA pilots on 13:47 - Sep 9 by SpruceMoose

Well maybe, but it's not all that common I believe and anyway the point is, if they needed to fly the plane manually, they could. I don't want to have to rely on cabin crew to rush to the flightdeck to try and fly the plane should the need arise.

Pilots are responsible for many lives (and incredibly expensive equipment). I reckon it's fair enough that if their employer is making record profits then they should be allowed to get their beaks wet.

I said their points were fair enough :).

Just pointing out that virtually everything is automated on a flight - as you say though, they still need to be there.

SB

BA pilots on 13:51 - Sep 9 with 1616 viewsSpruceMoose

BA pilots on 13:50 - Sep 9 by StokieBlue

I said their points were fair enough :).

Just pointing out that virtually everything is automated on a flight - as you say though, they still need to be there.

SB

Ha ha yes sorry, my point wasn't really aimed at you I guess, more a continuation of my first thought, sorry!

Anyway, one pilot's thoughts on automation here, other opinions may vary.

https://www.askthepilot.com/questionanswers/automation-myths/
[Post edited 9 Sep 2019 13:52]

BA pilots on 13:51 - Sep 9 with 1619 viewsElderGrizzly

No.

Next...
BA pilots on 13:56 - Sep 9 with 1565 viewsStokieBlue

BA pilots on 13:51 - Sep 9 by SpruceMoose

Ha ha yes sorry, my point wasn't really aimed at you I guess, more a continuation of my first thought, sorry!

Anyway, one pilot's thoughts on automation here, other opinions may vary.

https://www.askthepilot.com/questionanswers/automation-myths/
[Post edited 9 Sep 2019 13:52]

Good article. The other opinion was a pilot as well although this one is much better written probably because the Torygraph haven't interfered with it.

Lets also not forget that automation was the core cause of the issues with the 737, especially with regards to the system actually fighting what the pilot was trying to do so it's certainly not a silver bullet.

SB

BA pilots on 13:57 - Sep 9 with 1560 viewsElderGrizzly

SB

Captains might start to get near £100k+ and some of the senior Captains, with training and other leadership responsibilities get nearer £200k.

Newer BA pilots are on about £35k and have £100k of training debt to pay back.

The issue is they took paycuts and benefit cuts during the bad times, but now the parent group is making near £2bn profit they haven’t seen any return despite being promised that back then.

A few of my pilot friends work for BA and i fully support them.

11.9% is over 3 years, so about 4% a year and doesn’t take into account inflation etc. So maybe about 1.5% a year above inflation. It’s not that much.

The cost of the 3 days of strike action is way more than settling the dispute
BA pilots on 13:57 - Sep 9 with 1556 viewshatch

Landed into Gibraltar last week and boy is that a dicey landing. Not sure I've ever flown closer to the sea.

In a side note, pilots probably do have slightly more justification than train guards who seem to strike at any opportunity at the moment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024