Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... 00:03 - Sep 12 with 7428 viewsmonytowbray

Sounds it and people appear to have gone ape-sh1t on Twitter, no tweets from anyone playing it down. If this isn’t sensationalist or a dodgy source and what it’s getting across is true my brain might explode from the madness.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:10 - Sep 12 with 762 viewsBackToRussia

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:04 - Sep 12 by StokieBlue

I don't entirely agree.

It's fine to take a short position if your view is that brexit will cause a decrease in said asset prices. However having taken that view is it then right to try and make it happen by funding the side which can facilitate it?

They are trying to make something happen which they believe to be bad but don't care as they will profit.

SB

It's basically betting on a game and then bribing the players to throw the game.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:12 - Sep 12 with 761 viewslowhouseblue

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:04 - Sep 12 by StokieBlue

I don't entirely agree.

It's fine to take a short position if your view is that brexit will cause a decrease in said asset prices. However having taken that view is it then right to try and make it happen by funding the side which can facilitate it?

They are trying to make something happen which they believe to be bad but don't care as they will profit.

SB

you would need to prove that they are doing that - and on a scale whereby there is any realistic expectation that their action will alter the outcome. what we have in the tweet in the op is an allegation of some sort of possible correlation rather than anything getting near to proving causation. most macro hedge funds will have a position on brexit, if ones with senior managers who politically support leave have tended to forecast one outcome rather than another there might be lots of reasons for that other than an attempt to actively manipulate things.

the tweet in the op seems to me another example of the hysteria which characterises anything about brexit at present.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:15 - Sep 12 with 750 viewsBackToRussia

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:12 - Sep 12 by lowhouseblue

you would need to prove that they are doing that - and on a scale whereby there is any realistic expectation that their action will alter the outcome. what we have in the tweet in the op is an allegation of some sort of possible correlation rather than anything getting near to proving causation. most macro hedge funds will have a position on brexit, if ones with senior managers who politically support leave have tended to forecast one outcome rather than another there might be lots of reasons for that other than an attempt to actively manipulate things.

the tweet in the op seems to me another example of the hysteria which characterises anything about brexit at present.

Yeah people routinely give away millions to politicians for no reason at all, with no expectation of anything back. And then go and make a bet on something that those selfsame politicians have a huge influence on. It's just a coincidence. Nothing to see here.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:15 - Sep 12 with 748 viewsitfcjoe

I don't entirely agree.

SB

It's like betting on Ipswich to lose a game with a load of money and also giving some to Tomas Holy.

They might think Ipswich are going to lose anyway, but by bribing the keeper they help make it happen too.

Nothing to see here though....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:19 - Sep 12 with 721 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 07:55 - Sep 12 by Bluefish

It seems a big grey area to insider trading

....as if they would do that....!
String the f@ckers up....

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:21 - Sep 12 with 713 viewslowhouseblue

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:15 - Sep 12 by BackToRussia

Yeah people routinely give away millions to politicians for no reason at all, with no expectation of anything back. And then go and make a bet on something that those selfsame politicians have a huge influence on. It's just a coincidence. Nothing to see here.

do you know they've given millions? and when did they donate? if it was before or during the referendum then it's a bit of a stretch to claim that it is shaping their risk positions now. seems to me that the tweet is throwing together some vague associations and trying to build a conspiracy out of them.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:21 - Sep 12 with 707 viewsgiant_stow

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:12 - Sep 12 by lowhouseblue

It might not be illegal or provably illegal, but it's not madly one-eyed to object to it's scuminess. To me, at the very least its further proof that brexit is not a cause that joe bloggs should be supporting.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:23 - Sep 12 with 699 viewsGuthrum

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 08:59 - Sep 12 by flimflam

Can someone explain though how they can make money on a no deal brexit per se?

They cant. They make money by going short or long on a particular currency, probably in this case the pound. They are guessing a no deal will see a bear spike and they will cash in. If they win however someone else loses so who are they? Can the article elaborate on those too?

As you know this is how they work and they make money on market volatility which brexit is providing them in abundance. Its like shooting fish in a barrel for them. They are private companies investing private money looking to make a quick buck on spikes in the markets.

As i said nothing to see here.

Doesn't get around the fact that they are both gambling on the outcome and attempting to influence the result. In horseracing, that would be highly illegal. Why is the financial sector so poorly regulated in comparison?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:23 - Sep 12 with 696 viewsfooters

Not surprising in the least. Markets have had a no-deal effectively priced in for months. Doubt there's little short-term price action left in the pound until we actually depart, hence why a 'clean break' is being pushed for.

The last three and a half years have been a free lunch for currency traders.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:26 - Sep 12 with 685 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Compliant slaves are the favourites!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:27 - Sep 12 with 677 viewslowhouseblue

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:21 - Sep 12 by giant_stow

It might not be illegal or provably illegal, but it's not madly one-eyed to object to it's scuminess. To me, at the very least its further proof that brexit is not a cause that joe bloggs should be supporting.

some hedge funds make money out of major macro events. other hedge funds lose money out of those same events. some hedge fund managers are interested in politics - across parties and causes - and are rich enough to donate to those causes. you can question the morality of hedge funds, but to say that it is more immoral for a hedge fund manager who supported leave in 2016 to make money than a hedge fund manager who didn't, seems odd to me. and perhaps their bets won't come off and they'll actually lose money. hurrah.

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:29 - Sep 12 with 669 viewsmonytowbray

Alarming to me RN the press can get a whiff of a fart near Corbyn and it will be front page news but no one’s talking about this, not even to debunk it. I just want the truth from a trusted source or expert.

TWTD never forgets…

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:35 - Sep 12 with 635 viewsBackToRussia

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:21 - Sep 12 by lowhouseblue

do you know they've given millions? and when did they donate? if it was before or during the referendum then it's a bit of a stretch to claim that it is shaping their risk positions now. seems to me that the tweet is throwing together some vague associations and trying to build a conspiracy out of them.

I think you're probably OK or not with capitalists having such a degree of influence on the future of this country. It seems now it was all a scheme to personally enrich a few, rather than a belief that the country may be genuinely more prosperous as a result of leaving the EU. It's rich capitalists scheming to become richer, at the expense of the entire country.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:37 - Sep 12 with 628 viewsOldsmoker

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:29 - Sep 12 by monytowbray

Alarming to me RN the press can get a whiff of a fart near Corbyn and it will be front page news but no one’s talking about this, not even to debunk it. I just want the truth from a trusted source or expert.

It appears these people are gaming the system if true.
The fact that the MSM is owned by like-minded people means it's all happening beneath the radar because that's where they want to keep it.
Quodos to you Callis for reading the Byline Times. I have found many stories on there that have an in-depth analysis and are serious news but get ignored by the MSM.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:38 - Sep 12 with 618 viewsmonytowbray

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:37 - Sep 12 by Oldsmoker

It appears these people are gaming the system if true.
The fact that the MSM is owned by like-minded people means it's all happening beneath the radar because that's where they want to keep it.
Quodos to you Callis for reading the Byline Times. I have found many stories on there that have an in-depth analysis and are serious news but get ignored by the MSM.

In fairness I don’t, I had never heard of it until now and was wary of the source at first. Looking around though it seems legit.

TWTD never forgets…

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:39 - Sep 12 with 609 viewswkj

Nothing to see here

Aka

Shhhhh... Just let it happen

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:39 - Sep 12 with 607 viewsfooters

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:35 - Sep 12 by BackToRussia

I think you're probably OK or not with capitalists having such a degree of influence on the future of this country. It seems now it was all a scheme to personally enrich a few, rather than a belief that the country may be genuinely more prosperous as a result of leaving the EU. It's rich capitalists scheming to become richer, at the expense of the entire country.

Soros got a huge kicking for shorting on Black Wednesday, unpatriotic traitor and what not. Fast forward to today and people are perfectly happy with the whole thing :)

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:41 - Sep 12 with 597 viewswkj

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:39 - Sep 12 by footers

Soros got a huge kicking for shorting on Black Wednesday, unpatriotic traitor and what not. Fast forward to today and people are perfectly happy with the whole thing :)

Inb4choochoowhatabouttrain. Arf

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:42 - Sep 12 with 594 viewsBackToRussia

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:39 - Sep 12 by footers

It's also not just about money being used to influence politics, it's also that they are financing probably the least democratic and least constitutional regime the UK has had in the modern era.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:44 - Sep 12 with 581 viewslowhouseblue

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:35 - Sep 12 by BackToRussia

the £8 billion quoted in the tweet in the op will be a fraction of the funds now being used to position investors over the outcome of brexit. "It seems now it was all a scheme to personally enrich a few" … jeez, it really is anything to dismiss the 17.4 million who voted for it, isn't it.

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:45 - Sep 12 with 576 viewsStokieBlue

What Soros did was different though, he bet against the pound because the implementation of the ERM was deeply flawed. He didn't make it flawed or fund the idea behind it in order to ensure the drop.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:45 - Sep 12 with 577 viewsitfcjoe

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:42 - Sep 12 by BackToRussia

It's also not just about money being used to influence politics, it's also that they are financing probably the least democratic and least constitutional regime the UK has had in the modern era.

If we were reading what is happening here about Chad or Equitorial Guinea then people would see it much more clearly for what it is

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:46 - Sep 12 with 570 viewsitfcjoe

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:44 - Sep 12 by lowhouseblue

the £8 billion quoted in the tweet in the op will be a fraction of the funds now being used to position investors over the outcome of brexit. "It seems now it was all a scheme to personally enrich a few" … jeez, it really is anything to dismiss the 17.4 million who voted for it, isn't it.

For someone who was a Labour member and would back them about everything you've really gone full circle now - you sound like Farage at the end here.

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:50 - Sep 12 with 545 viewsBackToRussia

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:44 - Sep 12 by lowhouseblue

We already know there were lies told by the Leave campaign in order to fool those 17 million people, we know that Boris lied to the Queen to try to suspend democracy so that the elected representatives of those 17 million people no longer get a say. And now this. Do you really think they had our best intentions at heart?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:51 - Sep 12 with 541 viewsmonytowbray

The finance sector is a mystery to me so not sure if this is big or not... on 09:46 - Sep 12 by itfcjoe

For someone who was a Labour member and would back them about everything you've really gone full circle now - you sound like Farage at the end here.

That’s because he was a Tory hiding behind the New Labour mask. I’ve said it before multiple times and that post was the last bang of the hammer.

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024