Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gone electric 07:19 - Sep 12 with 5053 viewshampstead_blue

Just ordered our new run around.....BMW i3.
Get it in two weeks.

Anyone here have a pure electric car? Be happy for some tips.....

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Gone electric on 08:00 - Sep 12 with 2391 viewsBluefish

The most fun you will have driving a car on roads. They are brilliant

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Gone electric on 08:42 - Sep 12 with 2320 viewsOldsmoker

I only know one person who has enjoyed a ride in one.
He said the acceleration was awesome.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Gone electric on 08:43 - Sep 12 with 2317 viewsElephantintheRoom

Top tip would be to use your proper car when need to go on a real car journey

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Gone electric on 08:45 - Sep 12 with 2312 viewswkj

Gone electric on 08:43 - Sep 12 by ElephantintheRoom

Top tip would be to use your proper car when need to go on a real car journey

(In other words recharge when you get low, like you'd refuel with petrol)

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Gone electric on 08:50 - Sep 12 with 2298 viewsElephantintheRoom

Gone electric on 08:45 - Sep 12 by wkj

erm no - just like any electric car you cant leave your indulgence zone when driving because its range is so limited. And you have to refuel it every day at the planet's expense. Google where your hampstead electricity comes from as well - my guess is wood chips from North Carolina virgin forests currently classified as green burnt at the power station just up the road - but I may be wrong on that. Enjoy.

Gone electric on 08:53 - Sep 12 with 2285 viewsJakeITFC

Gone electric on 08:50 - Sep 12 by ElephantintheRoom

erm no - just like any electric car you cant leave your indulgence zone when driving because its range is so limited. And you have to refuel it every day at the planet's expense. Google where your hampstead electricity comes from as well - my guess is wood chips from North Carolina virgin forests currently classified as green burnt at the power station just up the road - but I may be wrong on that. Enjoy.

Do you know where petrol comes from?
Gone electric on 08:54 - Sep 12 with 2285 viewswkj

Gone electric on 08:50 - Sep 12 by ElephantintheRoom

Thanks cyril

Crybaby

Gone electric on 09:00 - Sep 12 with 2261 viewsGeoffSentence

If was like refueling with petrol that would be great and overcome probably the biggest obstacle to electric car take up. Refueling with liquid fuels takes a couple of minutes, electric cars have to be tethered up for some time.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

Gone electric on 09:02 - Sep 12 with 2248 viewswkj

Gone electric on 09:00 - Sep 12 by GeoffSentence

If was like refueling with petrol that would be great and overcome probably the biggest obstacle to electric car take up. Refueling with liquid fuels takes a couple of minutes, electric cars have to be tethered up for some time.

All the more reason to visit the welcome break for a full English while you wait I'd say

Crybaby

Gone electric on 09:04 - Sep 12 with 2243 viewsitfcjoe

Wouldn't mind getting one sorted for Mrs itfcjoe's car, but need one that can handle 2 car seats which the i8 is a long way from doing so!

Sure our next car will be at least hybrid but probably a few years off that as things stand and things will have moved on so far by then

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Gone electric on 09:17 - Sep 12 with 2213 viewsElephantintheRoom

Gone electric on 09:04 - Sep 12 by itfcjoe

Wouldn't mind getting one sorted for Mrs itfcjoe's car, but need one that can handle 2 car seats which the i8 is a long way from doing so!

Sure our next car will be at least hybrid but probably a few years off that as things stand and things will have moved on so far by then

You make my point for me - electric cars are a totally impractical (and costly) middle class indulgence for pseudo eco warriors to feel good about themselves. Granted living in London makes them slightly less daft, but the need for a proper car do do any lengthy journies - or perish the thought, two small trips in one day makes them a total irrelevance at present.

You can't escape the reality that if the UK went totally green and thrilled that Swedish school girl it wouldn't make an iota of difference. Perhaps people in the real world, like the Chinese for example have a better handle on this than middle class, middle england. Any cars over 8 years old are scrapped there. No tax benefits and no 'free' electricity. Just a practical solution in an area where change actually makes a difference.

Not much of a classic car market in China I suppose.

Gone electric on 09:22 - Sep 12 with 2191 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

It's not quite as convinient.

Lack of range.

Lack of facilities.

Time taken to recharge.

I'm not against electric vehicles if most of your mileage is local. But I wouldn't get one at present due to the above factors.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Gone electric on 09:24 - Sep 12 with 2179 viewswkj

Gone electric on 09:22 - Sep 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Lack of range.

Lack of facilities.

Time taken to recharge.

I'm not against electric vehicles if most of your mileage is local. But I wouldn't get one at present due to the above factors.

Full English at a welcome break, this isn't high school mathematics, you can't just factor it out to make the equation fit. Jesus wept, how can you people be so flippant trying to negate the best thing about long distance travel in the UK

Crybaby

Gone electric on 09:26 - Sep 12 with 2173 viewsitfcjoe

Gone electric on 09:17 - Sep 12 by ElephantintheRoom

You make my point for me - electric cars are a totally impractical (and costly) middle class indulgence for pseudo eco warriors to feel good about themselves. Granted living in London makes them slightly less daft, but the need for a proper car do do any lengthy journies - or perish the thought, two small trips in one day makes them a total irrelevance at present.

You can't escape the reality that if the UK went totally green and thrilled that Swedish school girl it wouldn't make an iota of difference. Perhaps people in the real world, like the Chinese for example have a better handle on this than middle class, middle england. Any cars over 8 years old are scrapped there. No tax benefits and no 'free' electricity. Just a practical solution in an area where change actually makes a difference.

They are a second car as things stand, and whilst this is a necessary stage of their development and will make things greener in the long run - currently they are just an extra car on the road not a replacement in most cases

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Gone electric on 09:26 - Sep 12 with 2168 viewsGeoffSentence

Gone electric on 09:24 - Sep 12 by wkj

Full English at a welcome break, this isn't high school mathematics, you can't just factor it out to make the equation fit. Jesus wept, how can you people be so flippant trying to negate the best thing about long distance travel in the UK

All those extra pigs have to die just to satisfy the country's need for electric cars.

Pigs For Petrol.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Gone electric on 09:27 - Sep 12 with 2169 viewsElephantintheRoom

Gone electric on 09:22 - Sep 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Lack of range.

Lack of facilities.

Time taken to recharge.

You should at least consider being against them. Crossing the road in London or Cambridge is already fraught with danger due to arrogant cyclists. Electric cars can be a bit of a surprise to pedestrians and those cyclists. The silent menace of electric cars is actually something that will have to be addressed if they ever become anything other than a waitrose shopper's self-indulgence.

Gone electric on 09:27 - Sep 12 with 2163 viewswkj

Gone electric on 09:26 - Sep 12 by GeoffSentence

All those extra pigs have to die just to satisfy the country's need for electric cars.

Pigs For Petrol.

Bacon fat fueled cars, now we're talking

Crybaby

Gone electric on 09:28 - Sep 12 with 2157 viewsfooters

Gone electric on 09:24 - Sep 12 by wkj

Prefer a Little Chef Grand Slam myself.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Gone electric on 09:29 - Sep 12 with 2152 viewswkj

Gone electric on 09:28 - Sep 12 by footers

Prefer a Little Chef Grand Slam myself.

Be that as it may, I can t remember the last time I saw a little chef open and trading.

Heston and his snails in porridge sorted them out

Crybaby

Gone electric on 10:42 - Sep 12 with 2064 viewsJohnWarksTash

Gone electric on 09:17 - Sep 12 by ElephantintheRoom

What is the obsession with range? New electric cars have a range of 250+ miles between charges...most motorway services have fast chargers so you can top up while you have a pee and a coffee. My mate charges his twice a week and uses it multiple times a day for short runs and if he does a longer run just plans his charging in the same way I plan wee breaks and coffee.

I would go so far as to suggest you maybe need to update your knowledge a bit..... I live in the middle of rural Suffolk and have three public charging stations within 10 miles, and one is so close I could push the car there!
Gone electric on 10:56 - Sep 12 with 2036 viewsSwansea_Blue

Gone electric on 08:53 - Sep 12 by JakeITFC

Do you know where petrol comes from?

The petrol station silly!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Gone electric on 10:58 - Sep 12 with 2024 viewsSwansea_Blue

Gone electric on 10:42 - Sep 12 by JohnWarksTash

What is the obsession with range? New electric cars have a range of 250+ miles between charges...most motorway services have fast chargers so you can top up while you have a pee and a coffee. My mate charges his twice a week and uses it multiple times a day for short runs and if he does a longer run just plans his charging in the same way I plan wee breaks and coffee.

I would go so far as to suggest you maybe need to update your knowledge a bit..... I live in the middle of rural Suffolk and have three public charging stations within 10 miles, and one is so close I could push the car there!

Proxy penis innit. Mines longer than yours, etc.

Given that the OP describes it as a "runaround" I'm guessing range isn't an issue in this case.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Gone electric on 11:02 - Sep 12 with 2011 viewsKievthegreat

I remember when I worked at a major automotive manufacturer we had a presentation about the companies roadmap for electric cars and one of the big stats (IIRC) was that 150 miles covers 95% of all car journeys undertaken in the UK.

As for my personal use, I drive my Zoe (40kWh battery) 75 miles every day to work and back, and can even forget to charge it overnight. Or if I have ice hockey in the evening, drive from Leicester to Derby to Nottingham to Leicester, zero charging and no anxiety as I'll still have plenty of charge. I might drive down to the Oxford game which could be done in a single charge, but I'll probably like to break up the journey anyway so a 10 minute charge for peace of mind.

The next model of Zoe is going to be rolling out later this year. 30% more range (240 miles), Rapid DC charging, more powerful motor. That's 3 years after the introduced my model. The pace of development is rapid.
Gone electric on 11:07 - Sep 12 with 1996 viewshoppy

"...and one is so close I could push the car there!"

Have you ever had to because you haven't had enough range?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Gone electric on 11:12 - Sep 12 with 1970 viewsChurchman

Gone electric on 11:02 - Sep 12 by Kievthegreat

I remember when I worked at a major automotive manufacturer we had a presentation about the companies roadmap for electric cars and one of the big stats (IIRC) was that 150 miles covers 95% of all car journeys undertaken in the UK.

As for my personal use, I drive my Zoe (40kWh battery) 75 miles every day to work and back, and can even forget to charge it overnight. Or if I have ice hockey in the evening, drive from Leicester to Derby to Nottingham to Leicester, zero charging and no anxiety as I'll still have plenty of charge. I might drive down to the Oxford game which could be done in a single charge, but I'll probably like to break up the journey anyway so a 10 minute charge for peace of mind.

The next model of Zoe is going to be rolling out later this year. 30% more range (240 miles), Rapid DC charging, more powerful motor. That's 3 years after the introduced my model. The pace of development is rapid.

When the range and number of charging points increase and the price decreases I will consider it. I actually don’t care if the car is powered by petrol, leccy, hydrogen, bacon fat or methane from cows, providing the cow will fit under the bonnet. I just want it to get me from A to B without worry.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024