Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use 12:50 - Sep 12 with 3605 viewswkj

What are people's thoughts on this? I know we have a few MoD people knocking about here, as well as civilians with firm opinions.

(Totally not fishing for opinions and insight as part of a report I am working on)

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 12:56 - Sep 12 with 1474 viewsStokieBlue

You need to define what you mean, there is a lot to unpack in that sentence.

Do you mean armed robots sent into dangerous areas in order to police humanitarian issues?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 12:59 - Sep 12 with 1463 viewswkj

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 12:56 - Sep 12 by StokieBlue

You need to define what you mean, there is a lot to unpack in that sentence.

Do you mean armed robots sent into dangerous areas in order to police humanitarian issues?

SB

It is worded intentionally ambiguous as it happens. Essentially, autonomous systems (autonomous robotics) deployed by the military for humanitarian purposes. One assume that would cover things such as mine sweeping, moving goods and aid into conflict zones, that sort of thing.

Crybaby

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:09 - Sep 12 with 1437 viewsSpruceMoose

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 12:59 - Sep 12 by wkj

It is worded intentionally ambiguous as it happens. Essentially, autonomous systems (autonomous robotics) deployed by the military for humanitarian purposes. One assume that would cover things such as mine sweeping, moving goods and aid into conflict zones, that sort of thing.

Sounds like the start of Terminator to me.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:11 - Sep 12 with 1433 viewsStokieBlue

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 12:59 - Sep 12 by wkj

If they are unarmed then what possible objection could there be?

For scenarios you've presented there would be no need to arm them and thus it would seem a better solution than putting people in harms way.

If they are armed then it's a whole different debate.

SB

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:13 - Sep 12 with 1429 viewsStokieBlue

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:09 - Sep 12 by SpruceMoose

Sounds like the start of Terminator to me.

SB

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:16 - Sep 12 with 1417 viewsSpruceMoose

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:13 - Sep 12 by StokieBlue

SB

Like Grandaddel once said, looks like a bloke in a costume to me.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:17 - Sep 12 with 1417 viewsSwansea_Blue

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:13 - Sep 12 by StokieBlue

SB

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:19 - Sep 12 with 1415 viewswkj

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:17 - Sep 12 by Swansea_Blue

Not sure if robots, or if videos take from Texter's latest camping trip.

Crybaby

Login to get fewer ads

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:22 - Sep 12 with 1406 viewsWD19

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:17 - Sep 12 by Swansea_Blue

@ 20 seconds perfectly sums up how I feel most days.
Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:26 - Sep 12 with 1391 viewswkj

What is interesting is seeing the idea of what people immediate consider when they think of robotics. Anthropomorphism is a curious motivator in these discussions.

Crybaby

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:28 - Sep 12 with 1383 viewsStokieBlue

Their latest one is pretty good at getting back up. Still - easy to see how 10-20 years development could turn it into something quite nasty that you wouldn't want to be autonomous.

I can assure you I can't do a back flip like that.

SB

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:28 - Sep 12 with 1381 viewsSpruceMoose

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:26 - Sep 12 by wkj

What is interesting is seeing the idea of what people immediate consider when they think of robotics. Anthropomorphism is a curious motivator in these discussions.

J2 will be along talking about his RealDoll again in a minute!

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:30 - Sep 12 with 1378 viewsStokieBlue

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:26 - Sep 12 by wkj

For your scenarios of minesweeping, moving supplies it wouldn't be human form - there would be no point.

If you are talking about policing or searching buildings then it makes sense to design something which is the same size and shape and has the rough same abilities as the creature the buildings were designed for.

SB

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:36 - Sep 12 with 1368 viewswkj

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:30 - Sep 12 by StokieBlue

For your scenarios of minesweeping, moving supplies it wouldn't be human form - there would be no point.

If you are talking about policing or searching buildings then it makes sense to design something which is the same size and shape and has the rough same abilities as the creature the buildings were designed for.

SB

(I am remaining objective on this thread, as I have to as I have presented no thesis)
What if the focus then shifts to combat autonomy, such as UAV and UUV (Unmaned underwater/aircraft vehicles)

Again, it is a system designed to limit risk to human resources, and one can argue if war happens, firearm deployment would happen by means of humans or drones. Again, not thinking of terminator style robots, but more the actual autonomy we see now, such as 'drones' to put it crudely.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 13:37]

Crybaby

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:40 - Sep 12 with 1359 viewsSpruceMoose

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:36 - Sep 12 by wkj

(I am remaining objective on this thread, as I have to as I have presented no thesis)
What if the focus then shifts to combat autonomy, such as UAV and UUV (Unmaned underwater/aircraft vehicles)

Again, it is a system designed to limit risk to human resources, and one can argue if war happens, firearm deployment would happen by means of humans or drones. Again, not thinking of terminator style robots, but more the actual autonomy we see now, such as 'drones' to put it crudely.

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:41 - Sep 12 with 1356 viewswkj

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:40 - Sep 12 by SpruceMoose

Piss off, this is a constructive debate.. coming in here with that bllocks when we all know Johnny 5 is superior.

Crybaby

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:41 - Sep 12 with 1352 viewsSpruceMoose

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:41 - Sep 12 by wkj

Piss off, this is a constructive debate.. coming in here with that bllocks when we all know Johnny 5 is superior.

That film is blacklisted for it's shameful use of Asianface.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 13:41]

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:42 - Sep 12 with 1345 viewswkj

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:41 - Sep 12 by SpruceMoose

That film is blacklisted for it's shameful use of Asianface.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 13:41]

PCGM if you ask me

Crybaby

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:42 - Sep 12 with 1345 viewsStokieBlue

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:36 - Sep 12 by wkj

This will happen, it's unlikely the US will build another manned fighter after the F35 - there is just no point. Having a human in there just makes them larger and less agile.

However whilst these will fly autonomously I think we are a while away from letting them fight on their own. I except any decision to fire will require a human back home pushing a button somewhere. I think this is probably the right approach, certainly for now.

SB

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:43 - Sep 12 with 1340 viewsSpruceMoose

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:42 - Sep 12 by wkj

PCGM if you ask me

I'm afraid I'll have to report you to outside authorities for that.

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:45 - Sep 12 with 1333 viewswkj

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:42 - Sep 12 by StokieBlue

This will happen, it's unlikely the US will build another manned fighter after the F35 - there is just no point. Having a human in there just makes them larger and less agile.

However whilst these will fly autonomously I think we are a while away from letting them fight on their own. I except any decision to fire will require a human back home pushing a button somewhere. I think this is probably the right approach, certainly for now.

SB

We might be closer than you think as many prototype UCAVs are making use of hi definition gimballed cameras for topology imaging and 'machine learning' optical recognition to allow autonomy mode as well as command centre controlled modes.

Crybaby

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:47 - Sep 12 with 1331 viewskinnockers

Interesting thread. When I was a member of the Privy Council, I was privy to some early developments in this field.

Unfortunately many projects didn't come off as expected and losses had to be recouped by the MOD. One of the best ways of squeezing money out of these failed experiments was to send them off to the small or silver screen, where people thought they were just blokes in costumes, not multi-million-pound failures of the military-industrial complex.

Here's but one example:

Former leader of the Labour Party / Newsround Editor

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:48 - Sep 12 with 1327 viewsStokieBlue

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:45 - Sep 12 by wkj

We might be closer than you think as many prototype UCAVs are making use of hi definition gimballed cameras for topology imaging and 'machine learning' optical recognition to allow autonomy mode as well as command centre controlled modes.

That's pretty much what I said isn't it?

They still can't fire without approval from command and I don't think that'll change. Pilots are already basically obsolete.

SB

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:48 - Sep 12 with 1327 viewsSpruceMoose

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:47 - Sep 12 by kinnockers

Interesting thread. When I was a member of the Privy Council, I was privy to some early developments in this field.

Unfortunately many projects didn't come off as expected and losses had to be recouped by the MOD. One of the best ways of squeezing money out of these failed experiments was to send them off to the small or silver screen, where people thought they were just blokes in costumes, not multi-million-pound failures of the military-industrial complex.

Here's but one example:

"You went out for smokes and never came back, Dad"

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:51 - Sep 12 with 1320 viewswkj

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:48 - Sep 12 by StokieBlue

That's pretty much what I said isn't it?

They still can't fire without approval from command and I don't think that'll change. Pilots are already basically obsolete.

SB

I think that there established one of the biggest topics of ethics. The 'executive' command.

Crybaby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024