Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use 12:50 - Sep 12 with 3610 viewswkj

What are people's thoughts on this? I know we have a few MoD people knocking about here, as well as civilians with firm opinions.

(Totally not fishing for opinions and insight as part of a report I am working on)

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:52 - Sep 12 with 1650 viewsfooters

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:48 - Sep 12 by SpruceMoose

"You went out for smokes and never came back, Dad"

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:32 - Sep 12 with 1625 viewsGrandadDel

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:16 - Sep 12 by SpruceMoose

Like Grandaddel once said, looks like a bloke in a costume to me.

Thanks for the name check

It dose
Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:36 - Sep 12 with 1617 viewsStokieBlue

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:32 - Sep 12 by GrandadDel

Thanks for the name check

It dose

It's magic that makes the lights work as well.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:36 - Sep 12 with 1614 viewsGeoffSentence

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:11 - Sep 12 by StokieBlue

If they are unarmed then what possible objection could there be?

For scenarios you've presented there would be no need to arm them and thus it would seem a better solution than putting people in harms way.

If they are armed then it's a whole different debate.

SB

Function creep.

The first ones would go in all flirty and friendly, but after getting roughed up a bit there would be a need to protect this valuable equipment, and in time they would all be automated, napalm spitting haridens.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:37 - Sep 12 with 1610 viewsGrandadDel

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:36 - Sep 12 by StokieBlue

It's magic that makes the lights work as well.

SB

Electric actually . Thought yoh were supposed to be the brains round here?
Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:38 - Sep 12 with 1604 viewsSpruceMoose

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:37 - Sep 12 by GrandadDel

Electric actually . Thought yoh were supposed to be the brains round here?

Amazed you didn't spell that as 'branes' to be honest.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:39 - Sep 12 with 1600 viewsGeoffSentence

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:17 - Sep 12 by Swansea_Blue

It's like the designers used drunks for inspiration.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:39 - Sep 12 with 1598 viewsfooters

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:38 - Sep 12 by SpruceMoose

Amazed you didn't spell that as 'branes' to be honest.

Well blow me down, he may be smarter than he seems if he did!

brane
/breɪn/
noun PHYSICS
an extended object analogous to the strings of string theory but having any number of dimensions rather than one dimension.

Boggles my bonce.

Login to get fewer ads

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:40 - Sep 12 with 1591 viewsGrandadDel

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:39 - Sep 12 by footers

Well blow me down, he may be smarter than he seems if he did!

brane
/breɪn/
noun PHYSICS
an extended object analogous to the strings of string theory but having any number of dimensions rather than one dimension.

Boggles my bonce.

Nice copy paste
Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:42 - Sep 12 with 1584 viewsfooters

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:40 - Sep 12 by GrandadDel

Nice copy paste

Forgive me, Benters, but I'm not a physicist. Just curious as to whether 'brane' was a word, and apparently it is.

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:43 - Sep 12 with 1581 viewswkj

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:42 - Sep 12 by footers

Forgive me, Benters, but I'm not a physicist. Just curious as to whether 'brane' was a word, and apparently it is.

University tosser

Crybaby

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:44 - Sep 12 with 1577 viewsStokieBlue

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:42 - Sep 12 by footers

Light afternoon reading for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory

SB

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:44 - Sep 12 with 1576 viewsfooters

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:43 - Sep 12 by wkj

University tosser

Goldsmiths is less a university and more a Montessori school for glamorous art girls.

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:45 - Sep 12 with 1572 viewsfooters

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:44 - Sep 12 by StokieBlue

Light afternoon reading for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory

SB

String theory sounds a bit woolly to me...

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:51 - Sep 12 with 1559 viewschicoazul

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:52 - Sep 12 with 1555 viewschicoazul

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 13:11 - Sep 12 by StokieBlue

If they are unarmed then what possible objection could there be?

For scenarios you've presented there would be no need to arm them and thus it would seem a better solution than putting people in harms way.

If they are armed then it's a whole different debate.

SB

Yeah, let's take the human out of humanitarian. We turn our faces ever further from the Ancient of Days.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 15:00 - Sep 12 with 1545 viewsStokieBlue

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 14:52 - Sep 12 by chicoazul

Yeah, let's take the human out of humanitarian. We turn our faces ever further from the Ancient of Days.

Given quite a few situations which require humanitarian aid are due to argues about "the ancient of days" I think that's probably a good thing.

SB

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 16:08 - Sep 12 with 1517 viewsslump

Unless populations can differentiate between care givers and aggressors effective and sustainable aid in general fails.

UTT

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 20:50 - Sep 13 with 1453 viewswkj

An example of a prototype for an autonomous system designed to operate 'off road', potentially avoiding roadside mines or roadside ambush points.

Looks like it has the trots and would probably alert an enemy from a long distance, but is a far cry from those pissed robots linked earlier.

The slowmo of the gait at the end is quite astonishing really.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2019 20:52]

Crybaby

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 15:53 - Sep 15 with 1392 viewsStokieBlue

Ex-Google AI engineer basically saying what I/we said:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/sep/15/ex-google-worker-fears-killer

Should be autonomous with manual authentication for anything important.

SB

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 15:59 - Sep 15 with 1388 viewswkj

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 15:53 - Sep 15 by StokieBlue

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/sep/15/ex-google-worker-fears-killer

SB

Indeed, as it should be, however you know there is a time when other militaries will defy that convention, Im not going to point at Russia and China, but well, yes I am.

Crybaby

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 16:00 - Sep 15 with 1386 viewsStokieBlue

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 15:59 - Sep 15 by wkj

Indeed, as it should be, however you know there is a time when other militaries will defy that convention, Im not going to point at Russia and China, but well, yes I am.

Russia have actually refused to even discuss banning such systems at the UN let alone sign any treaties.

SB

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 16:01 - Sep 15 with 1383 viewswkj

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 15:53 - Sep 15 by StokieBlue

SB

Part of my reasearch is pointing towards a trend away from what we immediately think about as big robots with anthropomorphic features, but more small scale things for reconnaissance, such as Riptide UUV and smaller hive stile robot clusters.

Crybaby

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 16:09 - Sep 15 with 1373 viewskinnockers

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 16:01 - Sep 15 by wkj

Part of my reasearch is pointing towards a trend away from what we immediately think about as big robots with anthropomorphic features, but more small scale things for reconnaissance, such as Riptide UUV and smaller hive stile robot clusters.

Robots will get the vote next. After a few years all humans will do is service fkn robots, aside from the few lucky boffins who dream 'em up. Sounds like a good thing to get into while the rest of us get shafted by Bumblebee from Transformers.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2019 16:10]

Former leader of the Labour Party / Newsround Editor

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 16:11 - Sep 15 with 1368 viewsStokieBlue

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 16:01 - Sep 15 by wkj

Which is all very sensible.

However my previous point stands - if you want something to navigate a human-centric environment such as a town or building then there will have to be some anthropomorphism as the environment is design for that shape of creature.

For reconnaissance, flying, submersibles etc there is obviously no pre-determined environmental factors so they can be any shape that works.

The design of these things is ultimately a function of the task to be performed and the environment it's going to be performed in.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024