Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use 12:50 - Sep 12 with 3580 viewswkj

What are people's thoughts on this? I know we have a few MoD people knocking about here, as well as civilians with firm opinions.

(Totally not fishing for opinions and insight as part of a report I am working on)

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 16:17 - Sep 15 with 466 viewswkj

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 16:11 - Sep 15 by StokieBlue

Which is all very sensible.

However my previous point stands - if you want something to navigate a human-centric environment such as a town or building then there will have to be some anthropomorphism as the environment is design for that shape of creature.

For reconnaissance, flying, submersibles etc there is obviously no pre-determined environmental factors so they can be any shape that works.

The design of these things is ultimately a function of the task to be performed and the environment it's going to be performed in.

SB

One of the biggest challenges, unsurprisingly, is litigation and legal. The US Military is often challenge on "Who is to blame in the event of an error, and how do you know" Manufacturer, Programmer, Operator?

Rather interestingly I talked to a chap a Paris Innovation who said there are mental impacts on a number of drone technicians caused by the disjunction between real life, and remotely making decisions with lethal outcomes. It seems we have a long way to go before autonomous systems truly limits the cost to human resource.

Crybaby

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 16:22 - Sep 15 with 458 viewsBluesquid

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 16:00 - Sep 15 by StokieBlue

Russia have actually refused to even discuss banning such systems at the UN let alone sign any treaties.

SB

You forgot to mention the US. The US are one of the countries preventing talks that could lead to a ban.

https://www.newsweek.com/us-and-russia-blocked-un-talks-ban-killer-robots-110132
Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 16:24 - Sep 15 with 454 viewswkj

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 16:09 - Sep 15 by kinnockers

Robots will get the vote next. After a few years all humans will do is service fkn robots, aside from the few lucky boffins who dream 'em up. Sounds like a good thing to get into while the rest of us get shafted by Bumblebee from Transformers.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2019 16:10]

Tbf watching your performance in commons is the most robotic thing I've ever seen in my life. I'd rather be shafted by bumblebee, or Glynis

Crybaby

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 16:26 - Sep 15 with 450 viewsStokieBlue

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 16:22 - Sep 15 by Bluesquid

You forgot to mention the US. The US are one of the countries preventing talks that could lead to a ban.

https://www.newsweek.com/us-and-russia-blocked-un-talks-ban-killer-robots-110132

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of the US blocking it but I was aware of Russia (as it was in the Guardian article which should be better then).

The US should also be criticised for not discussing what is going to be a big issue going forwards.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 19:37 - Sep 15 with 420 viewsBluesquid

Autonomous military systems for humanitarian use on 16:26 - Sep 15 by StokieBlue

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of the US blocking it but I was aware of Russia (as it was in the Guardian article which should be better then).

The US should also be criticised for not discussing what is going to be a big issue going forwards.

SB

Yes poor from The Guardian who choose only to mention Russia, neglecting to inform their readers of other countries such as the US, Australia and Israel that also oppose talks that could lead to a ban.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/killer-robots-un-
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024