Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in 13:08 - Sep 12 with 18268 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

In your opinion, what is the best area of Suffolk to live in?

Can be based upon transport links, crime rate, local services etc etc. Generally interested in where people think is their favourite place to live?

Point to add - I live outside of Suffolk so have never had the pleasure!

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

I'll probably never move back.. on 13:15 - Sep 12 with 5311 viewsBobbychase

..Been in Bristol for 13 years and love it more as time goes by.

BUT

If I had to move to Suffolk it would be Woodbridge every time. Beautiful town, love the waterfront and the Adnams shop is there, along with some superb pubs

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:15 - Sep 12 with 5293 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Not telling ....it's full.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:17 - Sep 12 with 5291 viewsblue62

I love the area I am in. Bit of a golden triangle of Aldeburgh/Framlingham and Woodbridge got a bit of everything.
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:27 - Sep 12 with 5221 viewswkj

You cant get much more beautiful than Wangford

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:27 - Sep 12 with 5215 viewsstopmoaning

Martlesham Heath.
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:28 - Sep 12 with 5212 viewsitfcjoe

Objectively, probably somewhere like Bury St Edmunds is probably the nicest but not sure about transport links there.

Then there are Woodbridge, Southwold and ALdeburgh which are very expensive, and not really very local any more as full of London overspill and people who just have weekend and summer homes, Woodbridge not so bad on this.

I think Ipswich and it's surrounding area is underrated though - I live in Rushmere - can be at the beach in Felixstowe in 15 monutes, in the centre of Woodbridge in the same time, into Town for football or a few beers just as quickly - plus places like Aldeburgh are just over half an hour away.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:29 - Sep 12 with 5206 viewsBlue_Order

Mildenhall.

Rubbish transport links, plenty of crime, and barely a pub left to drink in.

Come on down.
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:31 - Sep 12 with 5189 viewsjaykay

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:27 - Sep 12 by wkj

You cant get much more beautiful than Wangford

hank loves it .he even named himself after it

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Login to get fewer ads

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:31 - Sep 12 with 5192 viewsfooters

My wife and I settled into a place most suitable to our lifestyle recently. You are more than welcome to join us.

https://goo.gl/maps/7eGGtKEb96UcfnLR8

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:33 - Sep 12 with 5179 viewsJ2BLUE

I hate little villages. Wouldn't live in a village if you paid me.

1. Ipswich. Obviously

2. Felixstowe. Expecting some stick for this. Used to think of it as a chav town but as i've got older i've become more and more appreciative of the positive parts of the town. Obviously losing M&S and the Adnams shop are dark days in the town's history but Felixstowe has quite a bit going for it...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:36 - Sep 12 with 5159 viewsblue62

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:33 - Sep 12 by J2BLUE

1. Ipswich. Obviously

2. Felixstowe. Expecting some stick for this. Used to think of it as a chav town but as i've got older i've become more and more appreciative of the positive parts of the town. Obviously losing M&S and the Adnams shop are dark days in the town's history but Felixstowe has quite a bit going for it...

What's wrong with a village? There's always room for an idiot.

I used to think the same about Felixstowe, but some of it is really nice, esp the older part.
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:37 - Sep 12 with 5142 viewsJ2BLUE

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:36 - Sep 12 by blue62

What's wrong with a village? There's always room for an idiot.

I used to think the same about Felixstowe, but some of it is really nice, esp the older part.

There isn't though is there? Take Bentley. That role has been filled for decades.

Truly impaired.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:38 - Sep 12 with 5135 viewsBigManBlue

1. Ipswich. Obviously

Villages with a pub are alright. The ones without are the most depressing places in the world...

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:39 - Sep 12 with 5139 viewswkj

1. Ipswich. Obviously

Ipswich really isnt at all that nice now a days. Not saying that to be edgy, but urban decay has become really evident in some areas of the town, and the actual development projects all seem to be wheel spinning at best.

Crybaby

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:42 - Sep 12 with 5104 viewsJ2BLUE

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:39 - Sep 12 by wkj

Ipswich really isnt at all that nice now a days. Not saying that to be edgy, but urban decay has become really evident in some areas of the town, and the actual development projects all seem to be wheel spinning at best.

Ipswich isn't amazing but agree with Joe that it's underrated. Some nice parts, some awful parts.

Truly impaired.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:45 - Sep 12 with 5090 viewsitfcjoe

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:39 - Sep 12 by wkj

It's lacking decent investment and a vision for sure, but it really isn';t particularly bad - town centre is fine (nothing more), public transport is decent and the parks are nice and have enough going on in them.

Enough places to eat and drink in, and compared to similar size towns and cities the run down areas aren't nearly as bad.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:46 - Sep 12 with 5078 viewsSpruceMoose

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:42 - Sep 12 by J2BLUE

Ipswich isn't amazing but agree with Joe that it's underrated. Some nice parts, some awful parts.

As someone who is glad they came from and grew up in Ipswich, I have to agree with wkj. On my last few trips home the decline is noticeable.

That could just be the UK in general though.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:48 - Sep 12 with 5068 viewsitfcjoe

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:46 - Sep 12 by SpruceMoose

As someone who is glad they came from and grew up in Ipswich, I have to agree with wkj. On my last few trips home the decline is noticeable.

That could just be the UK in general though.

I think some areas just get left behind, Ipswich is one to an extent but (and I'm sure like most other towns) it is very easy to navigate it safely and enjoyably.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:50 - Sep 12 with 5052 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:45 - Sep 12 by itfcjoe

It's lacking decent investment and a vision for sure, but it really isn';t particularly bad - town centre is fine (nothing more), public transport is decent and the parks are nice and have enough going on in them.

Enough places to eat and drink in, and compared to similar size towns and cities the run down areas aren't nearly as bad.

Ipswich should be much more than it is for being a main line to London town. The are other cities and towns out there worse off than Ipswich, but the town has come nowhere near the potential is should have done by now.

The high street has little soul, small traders are few and far between. Football aside, Norwich is an example of a nice town to live (I use town deliberately in light of that article posted on here recently)

Crybaby

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:55 - Sep 12 with 5019 viewsSpruceMoose

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:48 - Sep 12 by itfcjoe

I think some areas just get left behind, Ipswich is one to an extent but (and I'm sure like most other towns) it is very easy to navigate it safely and enjoyably.

Things I Iove about Ipswich:

The number of really lovely parks
Easy access to countryside
A lot of the architecture
Some of the estates have really nice housing options.
Decent public transport network

Things I don't love so much:

Lack of decent eating, drinking, cultural and shopping options
Town centre is a ghost town most nights
Lack of good pubs on a lot of the estates
The population seems quite sheltered
Schools vary wildly across the town

If I had kids I'd be perfectly happy for them to grow up in Ipswich, depending on which area I lived in. A lot of those dislikes aren't Ipswich specific though. I imagine many similar sized towns are having these issues.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:55 - Sep 12 with 5012 viewsJ2BLUE

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:50 - Sep 12 by wkj

Ipswich should be much more than it is for being a main line to London town. The are other cities and towns out there worse off than Ipswich, but the town has come nowhere near the potential is should have done by now.

The high street has little soul, small traders are few and far between. Football aside, Norwich is an example of a nice town to live (I use town deliberately in light of that article posted on here recently)

The high street isn't something that really bothers me. I never go in town to go shopping. I know it's sad for some but if the high street eventually dies off that is just a consequence of modern life.

Truly impaired.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:56 - Sep 12 with 5012 viewsfooters

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:55 - Sep 12 by J2BLUE

The high street isn't something that really bothers me. I never go in town to go shopping. I know it's sad for some but if the high street eventually dies off that is just a consequence of modern life.

I've seen you coming out of Claire's Accessories, you little fibber.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:57 - Sep 12 with 5011 viewsitfcjoe

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:50 - Sep 12 by wkj

Yep, agree with that - and it's quite clear there has been a lack of vision and a plan. There is so much stuff on the outskirts of town that they have just sucked all the life out of the town centre - Ransomes Europark, plus all the bits on the other side now with John LEwis, Whitehouse, Copdock etc.....these should be complimenting the town centre but here they seem to deliberately destroy it.

Suffolk Coastal and Babergh are happy to build in areas where the services of Ipswich will be stretched but won't do anything to help due to the NIMBYism on display there.

I've been working in Norwich for the last few weeks, whilst there is so much more there, more importantly their feels like more joined up thinking. But there seems a lot more issues with homelessness etc up there from my anecdotal view

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:00 - Sep 12 with 4987 viewsitfcjoe

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:55 - Sep 12 by SpruceMoose

If I had kids I'd be perfectly happy for them to grow up in Ipswich, depending on which area I lived in. A lot of those dislikes aren't Ipswich specific though. I imagine many similar sized towns are having these issues.

Think that's all pretty fair, and guess like most places if you are well enough to live in a nicer area then most places are decent enough to live like that.

Eating, drinking and cultural options are improving but still a way to go on that - but I was out last Saturday for a few beers and first time I've been in Town on a Saturday night when ITFC not played and you'd have thought it was a Wednesday, was utterly dead.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:01 - Sep 12 with 4978 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:55 - Sep 12 by SpruceMoose

Your point about schooling is staggering, it is a bit of a post code lottery in terms of the quality of education. My brother went to Coppleston and I went to Kesgrave, the difference in standards in education according to my mother was night and day, at least when I went to school.

Crybaby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024