Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Systems don't win games, players do" 19:34 - Sep 12 with 5162 viewstractorboy1978

People's thoughts on that statement from PL?
(No subject) on 08:42 - Sep 13 with 900 viewsGeoffSentence

(No subject) on 19:42 - Sep 12 by Blue_Order

Fvkcing earworm. Get it out of my head.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

"Systems don't win games, players do" on 08:50 - Sep 13 with 883 viewsitfcjoe

"Systems don't win games, players do" on 21:29 - Sep 12 by SomethingBlue

Absolutely true; I promise you Guardiola, Klopp and anyone else would say it.

Way back in the day, I remember Joe Royle saying exactly the same and being ripped apart by posters who knew much better ...

And even when you talk to academy managers they tell you the most important thing in football is recruitment, not coaching.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

(No subject) on 08:56 - Sep 13 with 860 viewsStokieBlue

(No subject) on 23:54 - Sep 12 by PhilTWTD

It's working in terms of the two of them getting goals, at the moment at least, but I'm not convinced it's the best system for us to control games. Obviously that matters less when your strikers are scoring goals - and defensively you're not letting in many goals or lookng like you'll let in many goals for the most part - and you're winning games.

Assuming 4-4-2 remains the system for the next little while, will be interesting who the first-choice pairing is once Keane, the best of the three strikers, is up to speed.

Is Keane the best of the 3 strikers? He's scoring record would say otherwise regardless of what level he's played at. Perhaps you are right but I don't think you can drop Norwood or Jackson (who is looking rather good) whilst they are playing well.

Is it more important to control a game or score? If we can't score but have 80% possession it's a bit pointless. The formation change against Wimbledon produced an awful performance.

Guess we will see once everyone is back - I can clearly see the need to get 3 CM's in there given our riches in the area but I think he would need to find a way to do that and persist with 2 up top.

Time will tell.

SB
[Post edited 13 Sep 2019 8:57]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

(No subject) on 09:13 - Sep 13 with 827 viewsBigManBlue

(No subject) on 08:56 - Sep 13 by StokieBlue

Is Keane the best of the 3 strikers? He's scoring record would say otherwise regardless of what level he's played at. Perhaps you are right but I don't think you can drop Norwood or Jackson (who is looking rather good) whilst they are playing well.

Is it more important to control a game or score? If we can't score but have 80% possession it's a bit pointless. The formation change against Wimbledon produced an awful performance.

Guess we will see once everyone is back - I can clearly see the need to get 3 CM's in there given our riches in the area but I think he would need to find a way to do that and persist with 2 up top.

Time will tell.

SB

At the risk of sounding like a broken record - diamond? Although I'd be worried about Kenlock in that role, it's still our best bet if we want to get more CMs into the starting XI.

Edit - for now I hope we stick with the 442 but not with Judge on the left, that seems to have worked well so far so why change it?
[Post edited 13 Sep 2019 9:13]

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

(No subject) on 09:14 - Sep 13 with 824 viewsStokieBlue

(No subject) on 09:13 - Sep 13 by BigManBlue

At the risk of sounding like a broken record - diamond? Although I'd be worried about Kenlock in that role, it's still our best bet if we want to get more CMs into the starting XI.

Edit - for now I hope we stick with the 442 but not with Judge on the left, that seems to have worked well so far so why change it?
[Post edited 13 Sep 2019 9:13]

If we play that though we suddenly have no place for our wingers, of which we have a few and have been quite effective.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

(No subject) on 09:16 - Sep 13 with 819 viewsBigManBlue

(No subject) on 09:14 - Sep 13 by StokieBlue

If we play that though we suddenly have no place for our wingers, of which we have a few and have been quite effective.

SB

Agreed, hence the edit. It's a nice dilemma to have the option of 2 formations that both suit the personnel we have.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

"Systems don't win games, players do" on 09:30 - Sep 13 with 791 viewsWD19

If Mick had said it he would have got a bottle thrown at him.

(c) Truce
(No subject) on 09:32 - Sep 13 with 784 viewsPhilTWTD

(No subject) on 08:56 - Sep 13 by StokieBlue

Time will tell.

SB

The second paragraph is what I'm saying, while we're winning and scoring goals whether we're controlling games to a greater extent is less of an issue. But I think ideally PL would want us dominating in the manner we did against Sunderland on a more regular basis, which I would guess we would with three central midfielders.

I think Keane is the best all-round player of the three, really oughtn't to be playing at League One level. His goals record in senior football isn't what it should be but he's hardly played unfortunately due to his injury problems. Hopefully he'll have a period where he stays fit.
Login to get fewer ads

"Systems don't win games, players do" on 09:33 - Sep 13 with 780 viewskinnockers

Never seen 4-4-2 win the ballon d'or or 3-5-2 lift the World Cup, have you?

Former leader of the Labour Party / Newsround Editor

(No subject) on 09:37 - Sep 13 with 767 viewsPhilTWTD

(No subject) on 03:15 - Sep 13 by Illinoisblue

it's easy to forget just how bad the first half of the Wimbledon game was.

Was that the system or poor for other reasons? I thought the team just looked short on self-belief that night. It was probably the first game they were really very much expected to win for a long time and they seemed to struggle with that, no one seemed to want to try anything, beat a man, try a clever pass (until Andre played in Norwood).

Thought Georgiou in particularly made a big difference after the break as he showed more virtually from the off and then Jackson as well. Wimbledon played into our hands as well I thought by dropping so deep in the second half.
"Systems don't win games, players do" on 09:39 - Sep 13 with 761 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

"Systems don't win games, players do" on 08:28 - Sep 13 by BiGDonnie

Course it's true.

How do you think a team of one legged players would do in the best system in the world?

There’s an element of truth to this of course - the best players in the world will perform better in a sh*t system than the worst ones in a good one

However you clearly need both to be successful - one only needs to look at the number of underperforming teams with good players down the years, and indeed the opposite, to see that

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

(No subject) on 09:40 - Sep 13 with 757 viewsPhilTWTD

(No subject) on 08:08 - Sep 13 by Dubtractor

I've not forgotten....

We have consistently been awful with one up front for the last season and a bit.

I thought we played well with one up front at times last season, although all too often without turning performances into wins, am thinking of games such as Stoke, West Brom away, Derby.
(No subject) on 10:12 - Sep 13 with 733 viewsChocorange

(No subject) on 08:39 - Sep 13 by Herbivore

Rowe has played most games this season.

Didn't say he hadn't. Edwards has been injured so too Judge, Georgiou had only just joined at time of the Wimbledon game, came in and changed it, Debra coming through now. Garbutt was injured.,

My post says how many would pick Rowe and the others named in their first choice team.
(No subject) on 10:59 - Sep 13 with 705 viewsHerbivore

(No subject) on 10:12 - Sep 13 by Chocorange

Didn't say he hadn't. Edwards has been injured so too Judge, Georgiou had only just joined at time of the Wimbledon game, came in and changed it, Debra coming through now. Garbutt was injured.,

My post says how many would pick Rowe and the others named in their first choice team.

I suspect Rowe will play plenty this season. He started against Shrewsbury with all of those other players available.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

"Systems don't win games, players do" on 17:12 - Sep 14 with 567 viewsHerbivore

Given that, player for player, we are much better than Donny I'm going to say that systems matter. Especially when you play a slow, past it number 10 ahead of our weak link and leave an entire side exposed all game.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024