Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hong Kong protests 14:09 - Sep 13 with 433 viewsStokieBlue

Did anyone see the protesters being interviewed on Newsnight last night? They all had passed on letters in case they were killed in the protests - they are obviously expecting an escalation.

This is quite interesting as well:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/13/volunteers-protecting-hong-kong-pr

Older people in HK putting themselves between the youth and the police so the youths can escape and protest another day.

It seems to be edging towards only two possible outcomes. Either full autonomy with their own laws outside the Chinese system or a military intervention which would likely meet more violent resistance from the protesters than what was seen in 1989.

Given that China are staunchly against option 1 and the protesters are becoming more entrenched, better organised and supported it's looking worryingly like option 2 might happen at some point.

Hopefully I'm way off and they come to an agreement going forward.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Hong Kong protests on 14:11 - Sep 13 with 426 viewsSpruceMoose

I don't think you're way off.

I think number 2 is highly likely.

Deeply worrying.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Hong Kong protests on 14:18 - Sep 13 with 410 viewsfooters

In a way, wouldn't it serve China's new model of growing its middle-class benefit from having HK as a semi-autonomous region? A sort of halfway house between Oriental despotism and extreme flirtation with capitalist expansionism.

Even when I was there last year, you could see different parties/protestors on every street corner.

Worrying times.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Hong Kong protests on 14:22 - Sep 13 with 398 viewsStokieBlue

Hong Kong protests on 14:18 - Sep 13 by footers

In a way, wouldn't it serve China's new model of growing its middle-class benefit from having HK as a semi-autonomous region? A sort of halfway house between Oriental despotism and extreme flirtation with capitalist expansionism.

Even when I was there last year, you could see different parties/protestors on every street corner.

Worrying times.

Whilst you are likely right that it could work it's fundamentally against the one China policy which the government has relentlessly pushed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-China_policy

Basically there is only one China and it should all be under the same rules. This includes places like Tibet, Taiwan and eventually after 2047, Hong Kong.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024