Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Potato growing bags 15:45 - Sep 13 with 2060 viewswkj

I am wanting to do a bit of planting on the jetty in the garden as it is a bit bare, but don't want to go digging up an area I usually use for garden parties and the alfresco society get togethers. I come across these things on a trip to Woottens of Wenhaston, and wanted to know if any of you folk have used them, if so what are they like.

I am a little apprehensive as the image is quite photo shopped in the harvest compartment.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2019 15:45]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Potato growing bags on 15:52 - Sep 13 with 1729 viewsSpruceMoose

I used similar this year in our yard for all my vegetables as there's no way I'm eating anything grown in NYC soil. The ones I used were entirely fabric though, the benefit of which being the roots are pruned by the air, which encourages more growth and avoids them becoming root bound.

Worked a treat. Dry out incredibly quickly though, although I guess that wouldn't be an issue this time of year.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Potato growing bags on 15:55 - Sep 13 with 1717 viewsWestover

I've grown them in similar bags in my experience you will get small potatoes and nothing like the amount that's in that photo.
Potato growing bags on 15:55 - Sep 13 with 1712 viewswkj

Potato growing bags on 15:52 - Sep 13 by SpruceMoose

I used similar this year in our yard for all my vegetables as there's no way I'm eating anything grown in NYC soil. The ones I used were entirely fabric though, the benefit of which being the roots are pruned by the air, which encourages more growth and avoids them becoming root bound.

Worked a treat. Dry out incredibly quickly though, although I guess that wouldn't be an issue this time of year.

You've been to the estate recently, do you think they would go well on the jetty? I am planning on putting another apiary up there too, so need to get plenty of things going for the bees in the spring.

Crybaby

Potato growing bags on 15:57 - Sep 13 with 1701 viewsNotMarcusEvans

Potato growing bags on 15:55 - Sep 13 by wkj

You've been to the estate recently, do you think they would go well on the jetty? I am planning on putting another apiary up there too, so need to get plenty of things going for the bees in the spring.

Think youll find apes are kept in apeiaries not bees
Potato growing bags on 15:59 - Sep 13 with 1694 viewswkj

Potato growing bags on 15:57 - Sep 13 by NotMarcusEvans

Think youll find apes are kept in apeiaries not bees

Glad you replied Mr Nevans, I did just send a message to not your PA about the Harvest Festival fundraiser, please RSVP and let me know if you are able to donate some of the 5 point plan for the charity auction.

Crybaby

Potato growing bags on 15:59 - Sep 13 with 1695 viewsSpruceMoose

I mean to be honest, I think they'd look ridiculous. You'd need multiple bags to even remotely fill the space you have in mind (if I'm remembering it correctly). Your gardener would throw a fit as well having to maintain multiple unnecessary grow bags instead of the large bed you had last year.

Like the post above said, you would't get a bountiful harvest with those bags either. If you want to make the spot look more attractive I'd just move some of those large planters that you have in the orangery outside for a while, then when it gets too cold invest in some plants with striking bark, like potted Dogwoods.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2019 16:00]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Potato growing bags on 16:01 - Sep 13 with 1679 viewsSwansea_Blue

I prefer local farms for produce like this. Just wait until it's a moonless night, and then you can raid the fields as much as you want.

#uselocal

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Potato growing bags on 16:01 - Sep 13 with 1674 viewswkj

Potato growing bags on 16:01 - Sep 13 by Swansea_Blue

I prefer local farms for produce like this. Just wait until it's a moonless night, and then you can raid the fields as much as you want.

#uselocal

I see you work in cahoots with those bastards at Heveringham Hall that keep scrumping my fkn peas

Crybaby

Login to get fewer ads

Potato growing bags on 16:03 - Sep 13 with 1662 viewsSwansea_Blue

Potato growing bags on 16:01 - Sep 13 by wkj

I see you work in cahoots with those bastards at Heveringham Hall that keep scrumping my fkn peas

Oi nhf whphy myhg oohf mwph. *Cough*, sorry mouth full of peas.

I've no Idea what you mean.

Potato growing bags on 16:05 - Sep 13 with 1657 viewswkj

Potato growing bags on 16:03 - Sep 13 by Swansea_Blue

Oi nhf whphy myhg oohf mwph. *Cough*, sorry mouth full of peas.

I've no Idea what you mean.

Do you want some of my eggs and cheese to go with that you leek-loving reprobate

Crybaby

Potato growing bags on 16:06 - Sep 13 with 1652 viewsSwansea_Blue

Potato growing bags on 16:05 - Sep 13 by wkj

Do you want some of my eggs and cheese to go with that you leek-loving reprobate

If it's any help to your original question, I've never grown spuds in a bag or box.

Potato growing bags on 16:08 - Sep 13 with 1648 viewswkj

Potato growing bags on 16:06 - Sep 13 by Swansea_Blue

If it's any help to your original question, I've never grown spuds in a bag or box.

You dont say...

Crybaby

Potato growing bags on 16:09 - Sep 13 with 1642 viewsfooters

Potato growing bags on 16:05 - Sep 13 by wkj

Could make some lush Glamorgan sausages with that little lot.

Know what I'm doing tomorrow now.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Potato growing bags on 16:09 - Sep 13 with 1638 viewsMachoMan_RandySavage

Potato growing bags on 16:09 - Sep 13 by footers

Could make some lush Glamorgan sausages with that little lot.

Know what I'm doing tomorrow now.

OHHH YEAHHHH!

I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!

Potato growing bags on 17:34 - Sep 13 with 1550 viewsGuthrum

My mother has grown potatoes in (large) flowerpots for years. Have tried it a couple of times myself. Really has to be earlies ("new potatoes") and they do tend to be a bit smaller than in the ground, but you get a fair number in each pot.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Potato growing bags on 17:39 - Sep 13 with 1546 viewswkj

Potato growing bags on 17:34 - Sep 13 by Guthrum

My mother has grown potatoes in (large) flowerpots for years. Have tried it a couple of times myself. Really has to be earlies ("new potatoes") and they do tend to be a bit smaller than in the ground, but you get a fair number in each pot.

I don't mind a smaller harvest in all truth, I don't eat taters myself but the sidekick tends to use them a lot making huevos rancheros, but with saute spuds instead of corn tortillas.

Crybaby

Potato growing bags on 17:43 - Sep 13 with 1531 viewsGuthrum

Potato growing bags on 17:39 - Sep 13 by wkj

I don't mind a smaller harvest in all truth, I don't eat taters myself but the sidekick tends to use them a lot making huevos rancheros, but with saute spuds instead of corn tortillas.

Also, you have to watch slugs and snails don't eat the plant tops before the potatoes have time to develop. In my "garden", at least.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Potato growing bags on 17:45 - Sep 13 with 1528 viewswkj

Potato growing bags on 17:43 - Sep 13 by Guthrum

Also, you have to watch slugs and snails don't eat the plant tops before the potatoes have time to develop. In my "garden", at least.

I actually came into a big stockpile of chicken wire and 10mm mesh wiring lately, so I am sure my garden and allotment will resemble something of a steam punk novella soon enough.

Crybaby

Potato growing bags on 20:40 - Sep 13 with 1469 viewsRyorry

You two live "near" each other in the States then?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Potato growing bags on 20:54 - Sep 13 with 1454 viewswkj

Potato growing bags on 20:40 - Sep 13 by Ryorry

You two live "near" each other in the States then?

No, he used an airplane to visit recently, twice as it happens. No flying cars yet, or magic to fly, but it is possible.

Crybaby

Potato growing bags on 21:11 - Sep 13 with 1439 viewsRyorry

Potato growing bags on 20:54 - Sep 13 by wkj

No, he used an airplane to visit recently, twice as it happens. No flying cars yet, or magic to fly, but it is possible.

Mooses can get pilots' licences in the US?

Mind you, given that insane bigots can get hold of automatic weapons without a licence there, and a megolomaniac got voted in as President, probably shouldn't be surprised at all ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Potato growing bags on 23:24 - Sep 13 with 1393 viewsjeera

Potato growing bags on 17:34 - Sep 13 by Guthrum

I've had some reasonable success in the past.

I had 3 of those tall pop-up type garden bags on the go, each at a different stage.

I kept myself going for a few months like that and, like everything, you cannot beat them straight from plant to pot.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Potato growing bags on 08:01 - Sep 14 with 1326 viewsElephantintheRoom

IF you water and feed regulary you can get a poor crop of small potatoes from these things. Same could be said for tomatoes and courgettes and even melons. Depends on vareity and weather. Do you really have a jetty in your garden? Most have them in a river.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Potato growing bags on 09:28 - Sep 14 with 1275 viewsMullet

Potato growing bags on 23:24 - Sep 13 by jeera

I've had some reasonable success in the past.

I had 3 of those tall pop-up type garden bags on the go, each at a different stage.

I kept myself going for a few months like that and, like everything, you cannot beat them straight from plant to pot.

Same, although our varieties were ordered late so i think we would have done better had we planted them on time.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Potato growing bags on 10:25 - Sep 14 with 1243 viewsjeera

Potato growing bags on 08:01 - Sep 14 by ElephantintheRoom

IF you water and feed regulary you can get a poor crop of small potatoes from these things. Same could be said for tomatoes and courgettes and even melons. Depends on vareity and weather. Do you really have a jetty in your garden? Most have them in a river.

"Same could be said for tomatoes and courgettes and even melons"

What?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024