Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Far-fetched/Long-shot idea 15:48 - Sep 13 with 3620 viewsconnorscontract

Hot on the heels of my "out-of-the-box" Brexit solution for Brexiteers:

England and Wales to Leave, Northern Ireland and Scotland to Remain, and a free-trade agreement within the UK to be worked out. (There's more to it than that, but it saves The Good Friday Agreement and the numbers would be there as SNP would back it.)

Here is my Brexit solution for Remainers:

A vote of No Confidence on 1st November, which would initiate a 14-day period in which an alternative Prime Minister who commands a majority could emerge. There is opposition to Corbyn from many MPs of other parties, Corbyn wouldn't allow a different Labour MP, or one of the other party leaders to lead a coalition or Government of National Unity, as it would give them precedence and an advantage going into a future election. And why would such a coalition trust Corbyn to deliver Brexit negotiations and then call a new Election at the first opportunity, when he would obviously want it to be held at the time of maximum advantage for Labour.

So, my idea is:

John Bercow to lead the National Unity Government. To deliver a deal to be voted on in a second, binding, confirmatory Referendum.

And then to step down and allow everyone else to fight the ensuing Election.

Obviously all Hard Brexiteers would HATE this, but what about Remainers? Or those who want a managed Deal?

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 15:59 - Sep 13 with 3577 viewsJ2BLUE

Your Brexiteer solution doesn't work as you know.

England and Wales would effectively still be signed up to free movement of people.

Bercow's deal would be deliberately crap because he wants to remain and I assume hard Brexit wouldn't be on the ballot?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 16:08 - Sep 13 with 3560 viewsflimflam

A vote of no confidence would just be ignored by Boris and there is nothing anyone could do about it.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 16:12 - Sep 13 with 3550 viewsSpruceMoose

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 16:08 - Sep 13 by flimflam

A vote of no confidence would just be ignored by Boris and there is nothing anyone could do about it.

Guy Fawkes had the right idea.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 16:39 - Sep 13 with 3512 viewsKropotkin123

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 16:12 - Sep 13 by SpruceMoose

Guy Fawkes had the right idea.

Selling us out to the Spanish and installing a Catholic dictatorship?

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 16:45 - Sep 13 with 3503 viewsWeWereZombies

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 16:39 - Sep 13 by Kropotkin123

Selling us out to the Spanish and installing a Catholic dictatorship?

Or allowing himself to be a false flag and leviathan rolled on...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 17:01 - Sep 13 with 3490 viewsGuthrum

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 16:08 - Sep 13 by flimflam

How would it be ignored? Under FTPA2011, it can't be.

There are two weeks for the Commons to pass a vote of confidence in the Government, whoever that may be, or there has to be a General Election. That is the law.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 17:02 - Sep 13 with 3489 viewsOldsmoker

The Welsh and the English together???
I'm not overly fond of them myself but I wouldn't be so cruel as to saddle them with the English.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 17:03 - Sep 13 with 3483 viewsJ2BLUE

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 17:02 - Sep 13 by Oldsmoker

The Welsh and the English together???
I'm not overly fond of them myself but I wouldn't be so cruel as to saddle them with the English.

Oh bloody hell, you're not another Scot are you?

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 17:20 - Sep 13 with 3473 viewsOldsmoker

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 17:03 - Sep 13 by J2BLUE

Oh bloody hell, you're not another Scot are you?

No.
Born and dragged up in East Anglia.
Emigrated to Bristol in the '80's.

*edit : I think it should really read "born and drugged up"
[Post edited 13 Sep 2019 17:30]

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 17:21 - Sep 13 with 3470 viewsJ2BLUE

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 17:20 - Sep 13 by Oldsmoker

No.
Born and dragged up in East Anglia.
Emigrated to Bristol in the '80's.

*edit : I think it should really read "born and drugged up"
[Post edited 13 Sep 2019 17:30]

So you'll know the English are great.

Truly impaired.

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 17:23 - Sep 13 with 3466 viewsBlueBadger

Cheaper and easier solution: pay for lots of posters on buses that say 'Hurrah! We're out!' come November 1st, change passport colours to blue(which we can do legally, as a member of the EU), issue a 50p coin with a picture of a bacon sandwich on it and just stay in. The average easily fooled Brexiteer will buy that wholesale and go home happy, the ensuing stable economy will enable them to spout all sorts of guff about how 'Project Fear was wrong' . The occasional outlier who questions it can be easily dismissed by calling them a 'closet remoaner'.

Meanwhile the rest of us can get on with our lives.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 17:27 - Sep 13 with 3456 viewsOldsmoker

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 17:21 - Sep 13 by J2BLUE

So you'll know the English are great.

There are some that say the English are an arrogant, entitled, pompous, vaccuos, mean-spirited and unattractive race....

...but, as always, I never share my opnion.

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 18:12 - Sep 13 with 3430 viewsconnorscontract

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 15:59 - Sep 13 by J2BLUE

Your Brexiteer solution doesn't work as you know.

England and Wales would effectively still be signed up to free movement of people.

Bercow's deal would be deliberately crap because he wants to remain and I assume hard Brexit wouldn't be on the ballot?

There is no solution that removes Freedom of Movement without a Hard Border on the island of Ireland.

Irish and British people are allowed to move between Eire and NI through a treaty which pre-dates EU membership, but EU citizens in Eire could only be stopped from moving across with Border Control, which is one of the reasons that it is inevitable under No Deal. Continuity IRA has said that it will attack any border posts with lethal force.
The Good Friday Agreement will then have been broken in every regard. Loyalist Paramilitaries will reform and attack Catholic targets.

So that's what happens under a No Deal.

Freedom of Movement is assumed and required by The Good Friday Agreement, it's as simple as that. To be honest, EU membership of both Eire and UK is simply assumed by The GFA, which is why the border isn't explicitly mentioned. The whole "Reclaiming control of our borders" mantra was bull-sht. It's not possible without a return to armed conflict in Northern Ireland (and probably the mainland).

So yes, my solution preserves the borderless border on the island of Ireland and requires Freedom of Movement in order to preserve The GFA. What it then does, which differs from May's Deal, is that it honours the respective votes in the 4 different nations and enables the possibility of the numbers being there in the HoC, as the SNP could embrace it. It would put Labour in a difficult position, re Scotland, as voting against would give Scotland to the SNP for a political age.

The ERG would vote against, but who cares.

Obviously under Boris, Gove and Rees-Mogg this can't happen, but it would have been a great blind-side move by May.
Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 18:23 - Sep 13 with 3419 viewsJ2BLUE

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 18:12 - Sep 13 by connorscontract

There is no solution that removes Freedom of Movement without a Hard Border on the island of Ireland.

Irish and British people are allowed to move between Eire and NI through a treaty which pre-dates EU membership, but EU citizens in Eire could only be stopped from moving across with Border Control, which is one of the reasons that it is inevitable under No Deal. Continuity IRA has said that it will attack any border posts with lethal force.
The Good Friday Agreement will then have been broken in every regard. Loyalist Paramilitaries will reform and attack Catholic targets.

So that's what happens under a No Deal.

Freedom of Movement is assumed and required by The Good Friday Agreement, it's as simple as that. To be honest, EU membership of both Eire and UK is simply assumed by The GFA, which is why the border isn't explicitly mentioned. The whole "Reclaiming control of our borders" mantra was bull-sht. It's not possible without a return to armed conflict in Northern Ireland (and probably the mainland).

So yes, my solution preserves the borderless border on the island of Ireland and requires Freedom of Movement in order to preserve The GFA. What it then does, which differs from May's Deal, is that it honours the respective votes in the 4 different nations and enables the possibility of the numbers being there in the HoC, as the SNP could embrace it. It would put Labour in a difficult position, re Scotland, as voting against would give Scotland to the SNP for a political age.

The ERG would vote against, but who cares.

Obviously under Boris, Gove and Rees-Mogg this can't happen, but it would have been a great blind-side move by May.

Well freedom of movement was one of the biggest reasons the lave vote won so you can't just ignore it because you don't like it.

FWIW i'd happily stay in single market and customs union with freedom of movement.

Truly impaired.

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 18:29 - Sep 13 with 3405 viewsconnorscontract

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 18:23 - Sep 13 by J2BLUE

Well freedom of movement was one of the biggest reasons the lave vote won so you can't just ignore it because you don't like it.

FWIW i'd happily stay in single market and customs union with freedom of movement.

No, it's not because "I don't like it". I make it absolutely clear that it's a choice between:

a) Ending Freedom of Movement and breaking The Good Friday Agreement

or

b) Keeping Freedom of Movement and keeping our commitments under The Good Friday Agreement.

I want to Remain. I'm English and live in England. This isn't what I want or like. It's about trying to keep the peace in our nation and not breaking an international Treaty which was brokered by the USA, EU and Canada just before we go into the world to try and broker trade agreements as "UK: the team you can trust".
Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 18:40 - Sep 13 with 3392 viewsJ2BLUE

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 18:29 - Sep 13 by connorscontract

No, it's not because "I don't like it". I make it absolutely clear that it's a choice between:

a) Ending Freedom of Movement and breaking The Good Friday Agreement

or

b) Keeping Freedom of Movement and keeping our commitments under The Good Friday Agreement.

I want to Remain. I'm English and live in England. This isn't what I want or like. It's about trying to keep the peace in our nation and not breaking an international Treaty which was brokered by the USA, EU and Canada just before we go into the world to try and broker trade agreements as "UK: the team you can trust".

They need to find an option c. Or find a way to remove Boris and have a second referendum so we can forget about it.

Truly impaired.

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 20:32 - Sep 13 with 3358 viewsgosblue

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 17:01 - Sep 13 by Guthrum

How would it be ignored? Under FTPA2011, it can't be.

There are two weeks for the Commons to pass a vote of confidence in the Government, whoever that may be, or there has to be a General Election. That is the law.

What would happen if Boris stands down at the 11th hour? Who would have the authority to ask the EU for an extension? Genuine questions btw
Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 21:38 - Sep 13 with 3316 viewsGuthrum

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 20:32 - Sep 13 by gosblue

What would happen if Boris stands down at the 11th hour? Who would have the authority to ask the EU for an extension? Genuine questions btw

If Johnson resigns, he either has to recommend a successor to the Queen, or, if he refuses, she will pick one herself (most likely the leader of the Opposition). Who will then become PM and be compelled by law to ask for an extension.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 21:48 - Sep 13 with 3303 viewsgordon

Far-fetched/Long-shot idea on 17:23 - Sep 13 by BlueBadger

Cheaper and easier solution: pay for lots of posters on buses that say 'Hurrah! We're out!' come November 1st, change passport colours to blue(which we can do legally, as a member of the EU), issue a 50p coin with a picture of a bacon sandwich on it and just stay in. The average easily fooled Brexiteer will buy that wholesale and go home happy, the ensuing stable economy will enable them to spout all sorts of guff about how 'Project Fear was wrong' . The occasional outlier who questions it can be easily dismissed by calling them a 'closet remoaner'.

Meanwhile the rest of us can get on with our lives.

This is actually an excellent idea, hadn't considered this before.

'Don't worry Barry, that lot might look like the Romanian fruit-pickers we used to get round here, but these are a new bunch that have actually come all the way from Peru. Now we've left the EU, we're able to attract the brightest and best fruit-pickers from around the world. Global Britain, innit.'
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024