Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working 09:48 - Sep 15 with 2535 viewsGerkensBeard

I sat South Stand upper where as I normally sit in the cobbold it was much easier to see the shape of the team. Doncaster had done their homework quite simply. They never let their defence get too high so they weren’t susceptible to our counter attacks. When they attacked their wingers were tucked in outnumbering us 5 to 2 in midfield at times with Judge and Edwards told to stay wide it seemed. Downes and Skuse didn’t work well as a pair yesterday. They were either both marking Coppinger or marking Sheaf (who I thought was their best player) or Whiteman which then allowed Coppinger space. If they had kept Marquis they would’ve won yesterday pretty simply.
Jackson and Norwood aren’t going to work as a pair long term. Against the lesser teams they will get goals but getting goals doesn’t mean they’re working well as a partnership. Both want to run in behind. Norwood is capable of dropping in and receiving the ball to feet but he wants to play on the last defender. I actually feel sorry for Judge at the moment. He keeps coming in field to look for the ball but rarely gets it. The times he does he creates something. The ball to Norwood in the last minute showed that.

Other thoughts. We’re strong enough in this league to sacrifice Kenlock for Garbutt to have a left back whose better going forward than one whose better defensively. Also it hurt us so many times yesterday how one footed myles is. So many times who could’ve played a right foot pass square over to Woolfenden to start an attack on the right but just doesn’t have a right foot of any sort.

Georgiou can beat a man. Something our other wingers can’t. I’d start him Tuesday on the left as it allowed Kenlock so much space to deliver a cross once AG committed his fullback.

In 3/4 games time when Garbutts fit id like to see this

––––––-Holy–––-

KVY–-Woolf––Chambo–-Garbutt

–––-Skuse––-Downes–––-

Rowe-––Judge–––Georgiou

––––-Norwood–––-
Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 09:51 - Sep 15 with 2491 viewsStokieBlue

I am mellowing on my keep 442 stance - it clearly wasn't working yesterday.

I actually quite like your team but if he's fit then Huws should play instead of Judge. He's a better player and Judge has done nothing (although he has played out wide).

Longer-term, if he returns and is as good as before Lankester should play ahead of Rowe. Dozzell could also play 30 minutes each match in replacement for Downes and we can see if he really can pick the passes from a deep lying position - he will have movement ahead of him with 4 players.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 09:55 - Sep 15 with 2450 viewsHerbivore

I'm not against 4-2-3-1 but I worry where the goals will come from with that line up. I think Norwood would get isolated so I'd be tempted to play Jackson as a wide forward and maybe move Rowe to the number 10 as he offers more goal threat than Judge. Jackson has the pace to get up and down and he works that right channel well and he'd help Norwood to not get isolated and not have to do everything on his own up top.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 09:58 - Sep 15 with 2437 viewsPinewoodblue

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 09:55 - Sep 15 by Herbivore

I'm not against 4-2-3-1 but I worry where the goals will come from with that line up. I think Norwood would get isolated so I'd be tempted to play Jackson as a wide forward and maybe move Rowe to the number 10 as he offers more goal threat than Judge. Jackson has the pace to get up and down and he works that right channel well and he'd help Norwood to not get isolated and not have to do everything on his own up top.

Be interesting to see wha5 changes are made for MK

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 10:00 - Sep 15 with 2435 viewsDyland

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 09:51 - Sep 15 by StokieBlue

I am mellowing on my keep 442 stance - it clearly wasn't working yesterday.

I actually quite like your team but if he's fit then Huws should play instead of Judge. He's a better player and Judge has done nothing (although he has played out wide).

Longer-term, if he returns and is as good as before Lankester should play ahead of Rowe. Dozzell could also play 30 minutes each match in replacement for Downes and we can see if he really can pick the passes from a deep lying position - he will have movement ahead of him with 4 players.

SB

Huws... if he's fit he surely needs to play.

Lkewise Keane, who's a cut above at this level. As has been alluded to, if Donny had more quality up top they would have beaten us quite easily. A real eye opener to third division football, as Donny were very good (the best we've played so far certainly), just don't have, well, good Prem/Champ quality forwards. Whoda thunk it :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 10:05 - Sep 15 with 2406 viewsGuthrum

I think we should be a little cautious of completely throwing away what has largely proven to be a successful setup because of a single stalemate againt one of the stronger teams in the division. We aren't playing Doncaster (or Peterborough, or Sunderland) every week.

Yes, perhaps we should be adjusting our system against those stronger teams, but that also runs the risk of being less familiar and well-drilled. Altho we have shown we can swap systems successfully within a game.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 10:15 - Sep 15 with 2354 viewsGuthrum

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 09:58 - Sep 15 by Pinewoodblue

Be interesting to see wha5 changes are made for MK

Think it will just be Rowe in for Edwards (assuming the former is well enough by then) and maybe a bit of rotation at CB. MK are a middling team on a little bit of a good run (won their last two).

I'd like to see Georgiou instead of Judge if the lad is capable of 90 minutes at full steam, or if Garbutt is fit enough to come off the bench for 20 or 30 minutes (or Judge could be the one coming on as a sub). But I don't think that will happen.

We're more likely to experiment against Accrington and Southend (as happened with Wimbledon).

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 10:17 - Sep 15 with 2351 viewsGerkensBeard

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 10:00 - Sep 15 by Dyland

Huws... if he's fit he surely needs to play.

Lkewise Keane, who's a cut above at this level. As has been alluded to, if Donny had more quality up top they would have beaten us quite easily. A real eye opener to third division football, as Donny were very good (the best we've played so far certainly), just don't have, well, good Prem/Champ quality forwards. Whoda thunk it :)

My team was based on 3/4 games time what id like to see. I think we’ll see 3/4 changes midweek and a change of formation. MK play a 3-5-2 and are starting to find their feet. I’d of thought we’d see 4-2-3-1 Tuesday.

Unfortunately I assume Huws will never be fit this season. He might start 2 in a row at some point and break down again. Keane is a serious option for the No.10 role also. He loves to drop deep which would allow Norwood to run off him. Plus Keane offers much more of a goal threat than Judge. Then again do you see Keane staying fit for a sustained period?
Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 10:21 - Sep 15 with 2336 viewsSomethingBlue

Jackson and Norwood feel like a lower-rent Bent/Kuqi to me — both good strikers who will score goals but no real suggestion they can read each other as a pair, like you say.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 10:27 - Sep 15 with 2289 viewstextbackup

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 10:17 - Sep 15 by GerkensBeard

My team was based on 3/4 games time what id like to see. I think we’ll see 3/4 changes midweek and a change of formation. MK play a 3-5-2 and are starting to find their feet. I’d of thought we’d see 4-2-3-1 Tuesday.

Unfortunately I assume Huws will never be fit this season. He might start 2 in a row at some point and break down again. Keane is a serious option for the No.10 role also. He loves to drop deep which would allow Norwood to run off him. Plus Keane offers much more of a goal threat than Judge. Then again do you see Keane staying fit for a sustained period?

playing away, I think, will help us massively. on the counter we look good, if we are the home team trying to pick the locks we lack quality at the important times

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 10:34 - Sep 15 with 2245 viewsDyland

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 10:17 - Sep 15 by GerkensBeard

Sadly I think you're right about Huws. We shall see though. Fingers crossed.

Maybe our medical staff along with Lambert felt Keane was a risk worth taking. But this is ITFC we're talking about :)

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 10:38 - Sep 15 with 2212 viewsGuthrum

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 10:34 - Sep 15 by Dyland

Sadly I think you're right about Huws. We shall see though. Fingers crossed.

Maybe our medical staff along with Lambert felt Keane was a risk worth taking. But this is ITFC we're talking about :)

Tho Huws was ill rather than injured yesterday.

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 10:39 - Sep 15 with 2200 viewsDyland

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 10:38 - Sep 15 by Guthrum

Tho Huws was ill rather than injured yesterday.

Aye, I meant generally, if/when he does come back into the team...

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 10:48 - Sep 15 with 2142 viewsstewartm

I hope this is not the start of yet another manager, costing Ipswich through poor selections and basically wrong tactics or not able to change them. MM started off so well then his player selections and team tactics bordered on mental health issues as time progressed! I think of Douglas and I am blinking funny...

Poll: How long will Lamburke survive this season?

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 10:49 - Sep 15 with 2137 viewsjaykay

always sit in sir alf upper (south stand) as you say you see the shape of the team better , when you high up. it must be the same in the sir bobs upper too.
we lost the battle in midfield ,just like most games last year and we went down.
several times downes and skuse tried to be clever and let the ball roll across them and turn, when receiving the ball from defence , but the donny forwards didnt fall for the dummy and took the ball of them.
if the midfield is not working , the defence is under pressure and the forwards will get litte service.
don't think judge and kenlock work as a pair, although edwards swapped with judge at times this still didnt work.
still if you play bad and not lose ,thats not a bad thing.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 13:20 - Sep 15 with 1864 viewsRyorry

Really interesting general point you make about seeing different things when sitting in different areas - do you think you could persuade PL to join you?!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 14:18 - Sep 15 with 1756 viewsBent_double

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 13:20 - Sep 15 by Ryorry

Really interesting general point you make about seeing different things when sitting in different areas - do you think you could persuade PL to join you?!

I've always wondered why more coaches/managers don't spend part of the game watching from higher up - you get a better overall picture of what is/isn't working.

I know they will always prefer to be at pitch level to issue instructions and such, but why not have another member of the coaching team sitting in the stands and feeding back information, or maybe they already do?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 14:18 - Sep 15 with 1757 viewsGerkensBeard

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 13:20 - Sep 15 by Ryorry

I dm’d him and he said he’d send Gilly up there next game. Reason I sat there yesterday is because my wife’s grandad used to play for town reserves in the 60’s so I was treated to a free ticket, in the presence of Roger Osborne and Alan Hunter also. Interesting hearing the ex players who sit around there thoughts throughout the game. They were all very impressed with Donny.
Anyhow sitting in the Cobbold you’re very much focused on the play. I sat in the lower north for a few years as I was wrapped up in the atmosphere. But yesterday you see such a clear picture of team shape and movement.
Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 14:22 - Sep 15 with 1734 viewsGerkensBeard

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 14:18 - Sep 15 by Bent_double

I've always wondered why more coaches/managers don't spend part of the game watching from higher up - you get a better overall picture of what is/isn't working.

I know they will always prefer to be at pitch level to issue instructions and such, but why not have another member of the coaching team sitting in the stands and feeding back information, or maybe they already do?

Magilton always sat first half upstairs didn’t he.
Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 14:33 - Sep 15 with 1707 viewsRyorry

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 14:18 - Sep 15 by GerkensBeard

I dm’d him and he said he’d send Gilly up there next game. Reason I sat there yesterday is because my wife’s grandad used to play for town reserves in the 60’s so I was treated to a free ticket, in the presence of Roger Osborne and Alan Hunter also. Interesting hearing the ex players who sit around there thoughts throughout the game. They were all very impressed with Donny.
Anyhow sitting in the Cobbold you’re very much focused on the play. I sat in the lower north for a few years as I was wrapped up in the atmosphere. But yesterday you see such a clear picture of team shape and movement.

That's absolutely brilliant on all counts, well done, and a salute to your Grandad! Big respect to Paul Lambert as well for actually taking up your suggestion as well as reading it - 👏🏻 👏🏻all round!

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 12:03 - Sep 16 with 1076 viewsRyorry

Sat in a different seat yesterday. Easy to see what wasn’t working on 14:18 - Sep 15 by GerkensBeard

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024