Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambo 08:53 - Sep 16 with 4822 viewsblueysbackside

that's 41 games in charge now. Let's forget last season. He has stumbled upon a system (4-4-2) which he won't be changing while it works. Once again on Saturday I couldn't really work out what we were trying to do ... it's almost like we should be winning because we have better players. Maybe I should just be glad we are second. I don't know. Judgey...27 games in a Town shirt and the boss is still trying to crowbar him into the team no matter what. Drop him. Start with Georgiou on the left and let's see what happens.
Lambo on 09:01 - Sep 16 with 4270 viewsHerbivore

He's had more or less a season in charge then. Overall I'd give him a C+. He's helped restore a bit of feel good factor off the pitch but on the pitch we've not really clicked and we still don't really have a defined system or style of play.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2019 9:20]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lambo on 09:02 - Sep 16 with 4267 viewsBluefish

Yet if we had sold Judge the Evans chants would have been ridiculous.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Lambo on 09:06 - Sep 16 with 4248 viewshomer_123

Lambo on 09:02 - Sep 16 by Bluefish

Yet if we had sold Judge the Evans chants would have been ridiculous.

He 'should' be awesome in this league.

At the moment, be it not being played in the right position, his end having been turned over the summer, coming back from injury or whatever, he's not really doing anything of note.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Lambo on 09:07 - Sep 16 with 4244 viewschicoazul

Lambo on 09:06 - Sep 16 by homer_123

At the moment, be it not being played in the right position, his end having been turned over the summer, coming back from injury or whatever, he's not really doing anything of note.

It amazes me how many excuses I see on here for Judge being, basically, 6/10 every week.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Lambo on 09:08 - Sep 16 with 4231 viewshomer_123

Lambo on 09:07 - Sep 16 by chicoazul

It amazes me how many excuses I see on here for Judge being, basically, 6/10 every week.

I'm certainly not making excuses for him.

If we are sticking with 4-4-2 - then I wouldn't play him.

Georgiou coming on showed in the space of 10 mins how to properly play wide left and deliver balls in the box.

Lambo on 09:11 - Sep 16 with 4224 viewsSWGF

I disagree, FWIW.

I agree that he has stumbled across 442 but it's a pretty standard/basic 442 which falls apart when Judge goes walkabout. I think PL will change it as it's not working particularly well. Wouldn't be surprised to see it change tomorrow.
To my eyes, the front two aren't combining/playing as a pair, but are coming off while playing their own games. Current goals/game ratios need perspective; I'd have fancied myself for a goal against Bolton.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Lambo on 09:14 - Sep 16 with 4196 viewsBluefish

Lambo on 09:06 - Sep 16 by homer_123

But Norwood and especially Jackson can't really play in a 1 and Rowe has been one of our stronger players this season. We have needed to use 4-4-2 and we have looked much better for it. I made a post last season somewhere about Judge potentially being our best player but not our most important. I know a few Brentford ST holders and they love him but wanted him gone because it was painful to see him struggle to fit in the system, he is so good that they wanted to play him but didn't fit and wasn't effective enough to build the rest of the system around.

It is a dilemma, the move to qpr would have made so much sense but again the fans have made things tricky.

Lots of plebs will say this is ridiculous and I am just having a go at the fans and that the fans didn't influence anything. The handful of football fans will think differently.

Lambo on 09:16 - Sep 16 with 4184 viewsitfcjoe

Lambo on 09:14 - Sep 16 by Bluefish

But Norwood and especially Jackson can't really play in a 1 and Rowe has been one of our stronger players this season. We have needed to use 4-4-2 and we have looked much better for it. I made a post last season somewhere about Judge potentially being our best player but not our most important. I know a few Brentford ST holders and they love him but wanted him gone because it was painful to see him struggle to fit in the system, he is so good that they wanted to play him but didn't fit and wasn't effective enough to build the rest of the system around.

It is a dilemma, the move to qpr would have made so much sense but again the fans have made things tricky.

Lots of plebs will say this is ridiculous and I am just having a go at the fans and that the fans didn't influence anything. The handful of football fans will think differently.

Norwood scored 30+ goals playing up front on his own last year so surely can play as a 1?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Lambo on 09:19 - Sep 16 with 4170 viewsSuperfrans

The issue for me is we're still trying to integrate so many players.

On Saturday, there were:
> 3 starting, 3 on the bench who weren't here last season.
> 5 starting who didn't play in our first match of the season.
> so far 17 players have started for us, another 5 have been on the bench - in just 7 league matches.

Donny looked like a team which was well drilled, familiar with each other, all playing to a familiar formation etc etc. In the three games I've seen this season, we've consistently looked to have the better personnel (barring a couple of their players on Saturday), but haven't looked as cohesive as a unit. Occasionally it is clicked - for instance Flynn's goal vs the Shrews. But hopefully, we will begin to look more like a team as the weeks pass by. The only worry is that we are relying on having better players to get us through against better drilled teams. That may work for a while, but it won't see us through to promotion this season imho.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Lambo on 09:23 - Sep 16 with 4129 viewsBluefish

Lambo on 09:16 - Sep 16 by itfcjoe

Norwood scored 30+ goals playing up front on his own last year so surely can play as a 1?

I didn't say he can't as a one but he definitely more suited to a 2. He wanders and plays in a free way, someone needs to be up there for when he goes off or to get on his flicks.

Lambo on 09:24 - Sep 16 with 4122 viewsHerbivore

Lambo on 09:19 - Sep 16 by Superfrans

The issue for me is we're still trying to integrate so many players.

On Saturday, there were:
> 3 starting, 3 on the bench who weren't here last season.
> 5 starting who didn't play in our first match of the season.
> so far 17 players have started for us, another 5 have been on the bench - in just 7 league matches.

Donny looked like a team which was well drilled, familiar with each other, all playing to a familiar formation etc etc. In the three games I've seen this season, we've consistently looked to have the better personnel (barring a couple of their players on Saturday), but haven't looked as cohesive as a unit. Occasionally it is clicked - for instance Flynn's goal vs the Shrews. But hopefully, we will begin to look more like a team as the weeks pass by. The only worry is that we are relying on having better players to get us through against better drilled teams. That may work for a while, but it won't see us through to promotion this season imho.

Doncaster had a lot of player turnover in the summer and Moore hasn't been there that long. There's no real excuse for them looking so much more cohesive than us.

Lambo on 09:27 - Sep 16 with 4101 viewsblueysbackside

Lambo on 09:24 - Sep 16 by Herbivore

Doncaster had a lot of player turnover in the summer and Moore hasn't been there that long. There's no real excuse for them looking so much more cohesive than us.

agree with this, which worries me (even more) about Lambert. Their full backs - in fact the whole team - were well drilled. I've said it before on here - and hindsight is a booooootful thing - but I'd have sold Judge (who cost us nowt) for a decent fee and used the money - if Evans was happy to do so - on a decent left-back.
Lambo on 09:28 - Sep 16 with 4093 viewsitfcjoe

Lambo on 09:23 - Sep 16 by Bluefish

I didn't say he can't as a one but he definitely more suited to a 2. He wanders and plays in a free way, someone needs to be up there for when he goes off or to get on his flicks.

You said he "can't really play in a one" when he scored 30 goals doing so last year.....

Every striker is better in a 2 in reality

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lambo on 09:32 - Sep 16 with 4058 viewsMrTown

We have had a terrible terrible 18 months, getting relegated, confidence shot and being really poor in the Championship.

Lambert has not just stemmed the flow, but he has also got us going back in the right direction.

We are 7 games in, Lamberts first proper transfer window and pre season, we are not going to be playing like Barcelona just yet.

This is League 1 football, not Champions League football.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Lambo on 09:43 - Sep 16 with 3994 viewsBluefish

Lambo on 09:28 - Sep 16 by itfcjoe

You said he "can't really play in a one" when he scored 30 goals doing so last year.....

Fair enough, I considered changing the wording but didn't bother. Norwood can play as a 1 but is less effective, jackson really can't play as a one

Lambo on 09:59 - Sep 16 with 3916 viewsSuperfrans

So, 9 of their players have played in every league game this season - so all of these were there/available from day one. Meanwhile, 7 of our players have featured in all our 7 games.

Is that enough to make a big difference? Don't know...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Lambo on 10:26 - Sep 16 with 3806 viewshomer_123

True enough - I would proffer that eve with the staff turnover and Moore coming in the 'philosophy' of the way Donnie play remains the same.

Something which we still don't have under Lambert.

Lambo on 10:44 - Sep 16 with 3731 viewshaynes_toe1

The only thing that bothers me is a lack of playing identity. I wonder if that's more down to the division we find ourselves in.
Lambo on 10:54 - Sep 16 with 3704 viewsITFC_Forever

Lambo on 09:28 - Sep 16 by itfcjoe

May be Norwood can play in a one when it's played correctly, not the way we do it....

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Lambo on 11:29 - Sep 16 with 3569 viewsSomethingBlue

Lambo on 10:54 - Sep 16 by ITFC_Forever

May be Norwood can play in a one when it's played correctly, not the way we do it....

Think it's more that we haven't had the right striker for it. I think by far the best way for us to operate in tight, serious games like Saturday's is to go with one through the middle and think Norwood has most of the attributes to do it.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2019 11:29]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Lambo on 11:32 - Sep 16 with 3544 viewsDurovigutum

Lambo on 09:43 - Sep 16 by Bluefish

Fair enough, I considered changing the wording but didn't bother. Norwood can play as a 1 but is less effective, jackson really can't play as a one

Put Judge in behind Norwood, change him for Jackson (and Norwood for Keane?) on 70 to give the opposition something different to think about? Rotate the starters depending on the games/type of defence.
Lambo on 11:40 - Sep 16 with 3513 viewsHerbivore

Lambo on 11:32 - Sep 16 by Durovigutum

Put Judge in behind Norwood, change him for Jackson (and Norwood for Keane?) on 70 to give the opposition something different to think about? Rotate the starters depending on the games/type of defence.

Judge doesn't deserve to be starting ahead of Jackson.

Lambo on 11:54 - Sep 16 with 3464 viewsSomethingBlue

Lambo on 11:40 - Sep 16 by Herbivore

Judge doesn't deserve to be starting ahead of Jackson.

No, but 4-2-3-1 might be a better setup than 4-4-2 and in that case we have to assess the players' merits slightly differently. Which doesn't make Judge an automatic starter either but clarifies the case for him a little. He can change games for us and should have had the decisive assist on Saturday.

Lambo on 12:02 - Sep 16 with 3430 viewschicoazul

Lambo on 11:29 - Sep 16 by SomethingBlue

Think it's more that we haven't had the right striker for it. I think by far the best way for us to operate in tight, serious games like Saturday's is to go with one through the middle and think Norwood has most of the attributes to do it.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2019 11:29]

Would have thought our best forward if we are going 1 up front is definitely Keane.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Lambo on 12:04 - Sep 16 with 3420 viewsSomethingBlue

Lambo on 12:02 - Sep 16 by chicoazul

Would have thought our best forward if we are going 1 up front is definitely Keane.

If he is mobile enough (dunno) there's an argument for that, yes. Hopefully in a couple of weeks he might be up to a start.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024