Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This new short goal kick rule 09:49 - Sep 17 with 1955 viewsartsbossbeard

Just get the bloody thing up the pitch.

If you want to try and play like Barca and then give the ball to either one of your 2 /3 worst footballers then you deserve to be scored against.

Stupid rule changes.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

This new short goal kick rule on 09:52 - Sep 17 with 1925 viewschicoazul

I'm surprised someone hasnt switched their centre backs and centre midfielders around when they try this, or even their full backs. Like you say unless you're Laporte or David Luiz or Tony Vaughan or whoever you're asking for trouble.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

This new short goal kick rule on 09:52 - Sep 17 with 1926 viewsTractorCam

I was at Tottenham v Inter and it was truly staggering. You have 2 players in the box with then 3 opposition players surrounding your area ready to press as soon as you pass it. In this case the ball would then just get messily cleared up the pitch for a throw in or change in possession.

Arsenal fancied the different route of just passing it to the Watford strikers, if they had any sense them and all teams would look at that and stop messing around with it.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

This new short goal kick rule on 09:55 - Sep 17 with 1895 viewsartsbossbeard

This new short goal kick rule on 09:52 - Sep 17 by chicoazul

I'm surprised someone hasnt switched their centre backs and centre midfielders around when they try this, or even their full backs. Like you say unless you're Laporte or David Luiz or Tony Vaughan or whoever you're asking for trouble.

"Forrest passes the ball out to Linighan just inside the Town penalty area. Oh."

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

This new short goal kick rule on 09:55 - Sep 17 with 1894 viewsJ2BLUE

This new short goal kick rule on 09:52 - Sep 17 by TractorCam

I was at Tottenham v Inter and it was truly staggering. You have 2 players in the box with then 3 opposition players surrounding your area ready to press as soon as you pass it. In this case the ball would then just get messily cleared up the pitch for a throw in or change in possession.

Arsenal fancied the different route of just passing it to the Watford strikers, if they had any sense them and all teams would look at that and stop messing around with it.

I can see why the likes of City do it. Stops their opponents from having 11 men behind the ball in their own half. No idea why lesser teams do it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

This new short goal kick rule on 09:56 - Sep 17 with 1885 viewschicoazul

This new short goal kick rule on 09:55 - Sep 17 by artsbossbeard

"Forrest passes the ball out to Linighan just inside the Town penalty area. Oh."

Hahaha!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

This new short goal kick rule on 10:10 - Sep 17 with 1845 viewsSitfcB

Just because the rule has changed doesn’t mean they have to do it, they’ve never been able to do it before so not sure why they do it just because they can

Tottenham nearly got caught out doing it v Arsenal....and then Arsenal themselves got caught out on it on Sunday ffs.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

This new short goal kick rule on 10:16 - Sep 17 with 1811 viewsSwansea_Blue

I don't know why that change was introduced. It wasn't needed. All you need to do is split your CBs and the DM drops deep to collect.The old rule never bothered any team who can actually play football.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This new short goal kick rule on 10:58 - Sep 17 with 1722 viewsHullblue

This new short goal kick rule on 10:16 - Sep 17 by Swansea_Blue

I don't know why that change was introduced. It wasn't needed. All you need to do is split your CBs and the DM drops deep to collect.The old rule never bothered any team who can actually play football.

I think the problem was that occasionally you’d see defenders deliberately touching the ball in the box if they were under pressure, so their goalkeeper could have another go.

So while on the face of it the rule helps the team trying to play out, it actually removes their get out of jail free card.

I suppose they could have just changed the rules so that the opposing team gets a free kick if you touch it before it leaves the area though.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Login to get fewer ads

This new short goal kick rule on 11:15 - Sep 17 with 1686 viewsWickets

For me its a good rule because in previous seasons if the ball was played short to a defender and he was being closed down there was nothing to stop that defender stopping the ball short of it going out of the area and forcing the goal kick to be re taken. I can remember this being used to waste time as well . You dont have to do it teams can still lump it if they wish .
This new short goal kick rule on 11:27 - Sep 17 with 1644 viewsRadlett_blue

This new short goal kick rule on 11:15 - Sep 17 by Wickets

For me its a good rule because in previous seasons if the ball was played short to a defender and he was being closed down there was nothing to stop that defender stopping the ball short of it going out of the area and forcing the goal kick to be re taken. I can remember this being used to waste time as well . You dont have to do it teams can still lump it if they wish .

Exactly. I used to have a routine with our goalie - who was useless at kicking a dead ball - whereby he nipped to the side of the penalty area, I played it short to him, he controlled it, took it back into the box, picked it up & then hoofed it. He always said to me "don't worry if I get closed down because I'll come into the box, play the ball & then it's a re-take". Occasionally the ref would get fed up with this, once telling us to "stop playing games" & I would agree he had a point.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

This new short goal kick rule on 11:32 - Sep 17 with 1625 viewshaynes_toe1

This new short goal kick rule on 09:55 - Sep 17 by J2BLUE

I can see why the likes of City do it. Stops their opponents from having 11 men behind the ball in their own half. No idea why lesser teams do it.

Nodge done it against Man City and their only real breaks happened from it.

If you've got ball-players at the back it's a opportunity, albeit with a risk, to break the intial press and open space.

There's an annoying video of Norwich doing it repeatedly against Man City on twitter and it's got a couple million of views.
This new short goal kick rule on 11:36 - Sep 17 with 1622 viewsitfcjoe

I like it, won't be long until football follows hockey and players can take free kicks to themselves and just dribble them off to keep the game moving quickly, and try and negat cynical fouls

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This new short goal kick rule on 11:37 - Sep 17 with 1613 viewsitfcjoe

This new short goal kick rule on 09:52 - Sep 17 by TractorCam

it's better for the defenders than previously, where they try and stand in the corner of the box and are much easier to press

This new short goal kick rule on 11:38 - Sep 17 with 1606 viewshaynes_toe1

This new short goal kick rule on 11:37 - Sep 17 by itfcjoe

it's better for the defenders than previously, where they try and stand in the corner of the box and are much easier to press

Exactly, defenders who are comfortable with the ball at their feet are now better off.
This new short goal kick rule on 11:40 - Sep 17 with 1604 viewsTractorCam

This new short goal kick rule on 11:37 - Sep 17 by itfcjoe

But if you look up and see 3 attackers waiting on the edge of the box, 1 of which is definitely going to instantly charge at you, what's the point of taking that risk? Like J2 says if teams can play football then it shouldn't be a worry but Arsenal can and yet they still messed it up.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

This new short goal kick rule on 11:41 - Sep 17 with 1596 viewshaynes_toe1

This new short goal kick rule on 11:40 - Sep 17 by TractorCam

But if you look up and see 3 attackers waiting on the edge of the box, 1 of which is definitely going to instantly charge at you, what's the point of taking that risk? Like J2 says if teams can play football then it shouldn't be a worry but Arsenal can and yet they still messed it up.

The point in taking the risk is if you do play through them you've then got 3 of their 10 outfield players taken out from your move up the pitch.
This new short goal kick rule on 11:42 - Sep 17 with 1592 viewsMrTown

Mick Out.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

This new short goal kick rule on 11:49 - Sep 17 with 1578 viewsitfcjoe

This new short goal kick rule on 11:40 - Sep 17 by TractorCam

I'd rather stand in the box with a 5 yard buffer than outside the box with none if trying to play out from the back

This new short goal kick rule on 13:32 - Sep 17 with 1415 viewsOldsmoker

This new short goal kick rule on 11:49 - Sep 17 by itfcjoe

I'd rather stand in the box with a 5 yard buffer than outside the box with none if trying to play out from the back

A 5 yard buffer sounds like a euphemism - but for what I don't know.
But I'm sure I wouldn't want to stand in a box with one.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

This new short goal kick rule on 18:03 - Sep 17 with 1225 viewsScuzzer

Completely pointless rule change. Introduced first into the women's game where possibly it had a slight benefit. But in the men's game it is proving to be a complete cock up trap. I think it was introduced on the basis it would help the sides of the like of Man City...well that failed at the weekend didn't it. Then Arsenal... laughed my back side off!!
Hopefully it will be assigned to Room 101 by next season.

Established 1968

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024