Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good pub near Euston 15:51 - Sep 17 with 2151 viewscatch74

Into London early, and recommended pubs near Euston?

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Good pub near Euston on 18:07 - Sep 17 with 427 viewsfooters

Good pub near Euston on 18:06 - Sep 17 by SpruceMoose

That was my only point. It just reeks of trying too hard. NYC is full of places like that. Just give me a corner bar where the poser and numpty count is low. I do not need three floors of pure 'awesomeness'.

It reads like an excitable puppy and I don't want to go drinking with one of those.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2019 18:06]

"very exclusively cool private room" - that's just a mess.

"chatty staff" - I don't want a chat, I want a fcking drink.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Good pub near Euston on 18:11 - Sep 17 with 420 viewsSpruceMoose

Good pub near Euston on 18:07 - Sep 17 by BrixtonBlue

I'm not taking anything personally. Just find it odd that you'd slate a place you haven't been to.

I dunno. What bits don't you like the sound of?

Again, not slating the pub. I'm just saying the blurb they use reeks of trying too hard. I guess that must appeal to some that have to feel like everything they do is some kind of opportunity to display on Instagram their 'awesomeness', but all it does for me is to make my eyes roll.

Genuinely cool and interesting places don't tend to need to tell you repeatedly that they are cool and awesome.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Good pub near Euston on 18:17 - Sep 17 with 401 viewsBrixtonBlue

Good pub near Euston on 18:07 - Sep 17 by footers

"very exclusively cool private room" - that's just a mess.

"chatty staff" - I don't want a chat, I want a fcking drink.

yeah, fair points. I think they're just trying to say their staff are friendly. I didn't notice them to be particularly chatty when I went there.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Good pub near Euston on 18:19 - Sep 17 with 398 viewsBrixtonBlue

Good pub near Euston on 18:11 - Sep 17 by SpruceMoose

Again, not slating the pub. I'm just saying the blurb they use reeks of trying too hard. I guess that must appeal to some that have to feel like everything they do is some kind of opportunity to display on Instagram their 'awesomeness', but all it does for me is to make my eyes roll.

Genuinely cool and interesting places don't tend to need to tell you repeatedly that they are cool and awesome.

Fine, shoot the copywriter!

The bar itself is very nice.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Good pub near Euston on 18:19 - Sep 17 with 397 viewswkj

Good pub near Euston on 18:11 - Sep 17 by SpruceMoose

Indeed, but then there are people who like thst sort of blurb, fair enough they might be middle aged sorts trying to recapture their teen years, but even so, you've gotta respect thst it's horses for courses.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Good pub near Euston on 18:20 - Sep 17 with 396 viewsBrixtonBlue

Good pub near Euston on 18:19 - Sep 17 by wkj

Indeed, but then there are people who like thst sort of blurb, fair enough they might be middle aged sorts trying to recapture their teen years, but even so, you've gotta respect thst it's horses for courses.

I feel like I'm being judged.

Good pub near Euston on 18:22 - Sep 17 with 391 viewswkj

Good pub near Euston on 18:20 - Sep 17 by BrixtonBlue

Not really, I was commenting on how some might enjoy that sort of blurb

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Good pub near Euston on 18:22 - Sep 17 with 389 viewsSpruceMoose

Good pub near Euston on 18:19 - Sep 17 by BrixtonBlue

Fine, shoot the copywriter!

The bar itself is very nice.

They should shoot the copywriter because they're hiding the fact that it is nice if that's the case.

Old man rant incoming...

I'm probably just jaded though as that kind of thing is so prevalent here. Stuff like 'Hidden Speakeasys,' which are basically a bar without a sign charging $25 for a cocktail. There's always some new hipster nonsense going on that'll have people lining up round the block, something they can Instagram and it's always, always something cringey and vacuous.

People want 'essential authentic' experiences, but the truth is, they can't have those because they're not part of the local ecosystem that helps them grow. The most they can do is gawp, which erodes the very thing they are trying to get a taste of.

Rant over. The end.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2019 18:27]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

Good pub near Euston on 18:23 - Sep 17 with 385 viewsfooters

Good pub near Euston on 18:20 - Sep 17 by BrixtonBlue

You're being played out of position on the left wing?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024