Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... 15:54 - Sep 17 with 1244 viewsmonytowbray

...for CO2 output

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/news/researchers-calculated-what-would-ha

That's a quarter of all vehicles in the country. Never likely to happen I know, but that's an insane number.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 15:56 - Sep 17 with 1229 viewsSpruceMoose

If 60 million people gave up driving and pointless travel we could all enjoy a steak in peace every now and then.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 15:57 - Sep 17 with 1226 viewsJ2BLUE

Is that leaving the land which is currently used for animals/growing food for animals free? Imagine if they also planted a fook load of trees.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:00 - Sep 17 with 1211 viewswkj

I wonder how much co2 emmisions would be saved from the shut down of the twitter data center if people stopped posting on thst platform

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

(No subject) (n/t) on 16:01 - Sep 17 with 1208 viewswkj

Crybaby

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:01 - Sep 17 with 1207 viewsSwansea_Blue

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 15:56 - Sep 17 by SpruceMoose

If 60 million people gave up driving and pointless travel we could all enjoy a steak in peace every now and then.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:16 - Sep 17 with 1182 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

If the UK gave up cars, it would be equivalent of taking 30m cars off the road.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:20 - Sep 17 with 1168 viewsmonytowbray

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:16 - Sep 17 by Marshalls_Mullet

I’d imagine if everyone kept cars and gave up meat it would have a bigger positive impact than the other way round.

TWTD never forgets…

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:20 - Sep 17 with 1167 viewsNotMarcusEvans

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:16 - Sep 17 by Marshalls_Mullet

Yep. Agree 100%. It's an uncomfortable truth that some are just not willing to accept.
Login to get fewer ads

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:22 - Sep 17 with 1156 viewsmonytowbray

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:20 - Sep 17 by NotMarcusEvans

Yep. Agree 100%. It's an uncomfortable truth that some are just not willing to accept.

If you think that’s a challenge you should try suggesting to someone they give up meat :S

TWTD never forgets…

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:23 - Sep 17 with 1148 viewsSpruceMoose

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:20 - Sep 17 by monytowbray

I’d imagine if everyone kept cars and gave up meat it would have a bigger positive impact than the other way round.

I don't drive here. So I'm allowing myself some steak every now and then. Those who travel unnecessarily on frivolous holidays, or drive to the shops rather than walk their lardy behinds there should cut their own cloth accordingly.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:27 - Sep 17 with 1134 viewsJ2BLUE

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:23 - Sep 17 by SpruceMoose

I don't drive here. So I'm allowing myself some steak every now and then. Those who travel unnecessarily on frivolous holidays, or drive to the shops rather than walk their lardy behinds there should cut their own cloth accordingly.

Genuine question, not looking to jump on your answer but how do you categorise your trips home? Necessary?

Truly impaired.

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:29 - Sep 17 with 1126 viewsNotMarcusEvans

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:20 - Sep 17 by monytowbray

Are you able to show your working here? Seems a bit of a fag packet calculation.
If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:43 - Sep 17 with 1094 viewsSpruceMoose

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:27 - Sep 17 by J2BLUE

Genuine question, not looking to jump on your answer but how do you categorise your trips home? Necessary?

I'm mainly just jesting with Callis, and agree with him that limiting meat consumption is a necessary step that we do need to take. I also think we need to limit our frivilous travel, but frivolous travel is different things to different to people.

Therefore , your question is a fair and decent question that I have pondered a lot myself.

This is where I have arrived at with my own conscience, and I am sure it is not a perfect position. I would catagorise a certain number of trips home as personally necessary, otherwise what I would be saying is that I would never return home and never see family and friends again. This year I have been in the UK twice. So that's four flights. We were also in France, but took the train from London. Next year it'll probably be two trips to the UK again. So, knowing that I try my best to offset that in other areas of life. Whether I come close or not I don't know.

So what do I do? I don't drive here (nor does Mrs Moose) as 100% of my movement within the city is either by foot or by mass transit. We limit our intake of meat. I'd say three or four nights out of the week we eat meat free. We reuse, recycle and re-purpose the majority of what we can. Our home is set up to minimise emissions. We limit our domestic air travel to absolute necessity, but again, Mrs Moose's family doesn't live in NY, so to reach them a flight is required. Is that a frivolous flight? Not to her. In the overall scheme of things? Who knows?

I'm also forced into flying for work reasonably frequently, and I don't really know how account for that other than to tell myself that what I am doing on these trips assists in improving the lives of others in a different area.

Unless people revert to living locally, growing up, living and dying within a few miles of where they were born, unless people only work locally, then international travel will remain something that people will want/need to do. The world has evolved to a position where people live globally and I can't see that changing. I think it isn't going anywhere, and as a result we will need to change other behaviours to offset it elsewhere.

Good question J2.

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:47 - Sep 17 with 1082 viewsmonytowbray

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:29 - Sep 17 by NotMarcusEvans

Are you able to show your working here? Seems a bit of a fag packet calculation.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/22/solar-cars-vegan-diets-cli

There’s loads on it out there, but the data gets very blurry depending on what angle you look at.

TWTD never forgets…

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:49 - Sep 17 with 1078 viewsgiant_stow

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:43 - Sep 17 by SpruceMoose

I'm mainly just jesting with Callis, and agree with him that limiting meat consumption is a necessary step that we do need to take. I also think we need to limit our frivilous travel, but frivolous travel is different things to different to people.

Therefore , your question is a fair and decent question that I have pondered a lot myself.

This is where I have arrived at with my own conscience, and I am sure it is not a perfect position. I would catagorise a certain number of trips home as personally necessary, otherwise what I would be saying is that I would never return home and never see family and friends again. This year I have been in the UK twice. So that's four flights. We were also in France, but took the train from London. Next year it'll probably be two trips to the UK again. So, knowing that I try my best to offset that in other areas of life. Whether I come close or not I don't know.

So what do I do? I don't drive here (nor does Mrs Moose) as 100% of my movement within the city is either by foot or by mass transit. We limit our intake of meat. I'd say three or four nights out of the week we eat meat free. We reuse, recycle and re-purpose the majority of what we can. Our home is set up to minimise emissions. We limit our domestic air travel to absolute necessity, but again, Mrs Moose's family doesn't live in NY, so to reach them a flight is required. Is that a frivolous flight? Not to her. In the overall scheme of things? Who knows?

I'm also forced into flying for work reasonably frequently, and I don't really know how account for that other than to tell myself that what I am doing on these trips assists in improving the lives of others in a different area.

Unless people revert to living locally, growing up, living and dying within a few miles of where they were born, unless people only work locally, then international travel will remain something that people will want/need to do. The world has evolved to a position where people live globally and I can't see that changing. I think it isn't going anywhere, and as a result we will need to change other behaviours to offset it elsewhere.

Good question J2.

planet murderer.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:53 - Sep 17 with 1061 viewsJ2BLUE

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:43 - Sep 17 by SpruceMoose

Good question J2.

Good answer and I would certainly agree that visiting family is not frivolous. I do think it impacts on what you can consider frivolous though. If someone takes 8 flights a year to European destinations and flies for less than half of your (leisure) air miles is is fair to call those holidays frivolous?

To be honest I haven't been on a plane for years and years so it's not something i've had to think about too much.

Truly impaired.

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:59 - Sep 17 with 1046 viewsWD19

If the Chinese gave up cars the Yanks could eat x5 as much meat without impacting anything.

But the Chinese are not going to give up cars......and the Yanks are not going to give up guns or meat.......so we need a Plan B.
If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 17:15 - Sep 17 with 1028 viewsSpruceMoose

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:53 - Sep 17 by J2BLUE

Good answer and I would certainly agree that visiting family is not frivolous. I do think it impacts on what you can consider frivolous though. If someone takes 8 flights a year to European destinations and flies for less than half of your (leisure) air miles is is fair to call those holidays frivolous?

To be honest I haven't been on a plane for years and years so it's not something i've had to think about too much.

I suppose you would need to do the sums. Would eight flights on a smaller aircraft with fewer people for a shorter distance less or more efficient than four flights on a larger aircraft with more people for a longer distance?

All these things are judgement calls I guess. It's easy to excuse, justify or explain away our own behaviours, either by comparing them to the actions of others, or by pointing at the things we are doing right.

Should we look more kindly on flights where rail travel isn't an option? Does anyone need to be flying to Paris, or Amsterdam these days when there are fast and efficient rail services?

Does the business community need to travel as much? Do so many people need to travel for work when remote working is so easy? Do we really need to have fifty people driving to a location in a town centre twice a day five days a week or could they just work from home?

I think the annoyance for many people is that they are being asked to commit to many small and seemingly trivial actions while they know damn well that all around the world industry and commerce are governemnts themselves are doing feck all.

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 17:19 - Sep 17 with 1018 viewsStokieBlue

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 16:59 - Sep 17 by WD19

If the Chinese gave up cars the Yanks could eat x5 as much meat without impacting anything.

But the Chinese are not going to give up cars......and the Yanks are not going to give up guns or meat.......so we need a Plan B.

The Chinese actually eat a lot of meat as well, for instance they consume >50% of the global amount of pork with only 18% of the population.

In fact on current trends Chinese consumption per capita won't be far below UK consumption (perhaps 10% below) by 2026. That doesn't take into account that consumption is decreasing in the UK and increasing in China.

I think in general most people in the UK are eating a bit less meat. Not as much as some would like but it's a start. An huge improvement in the variety of alternatives is certainly helping this change.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 17:24 - Sep 17 with 1002 viewswkj

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 17:19 - Sep 17 by StokieBlue

The Chinese actually eat a lot of meat as well, for instance they consume >50% of the global amount of pork with only 18% of the population.

In fact on current trends Chinese consumption per capita won't be far below UK consumption (perhaps 10% below) by 2026. That doesn't take into account that consumption is decreasing in the UK and increasing in China.

I think in general most people in the UK are eating a bit less meat. Not as much as some would like but it's a start. An huge improvement in the variety of alternatives is certainly helping this change.

SB

I am 'growing my own' in a bid to help save the environment. Rearing chickens is bloody hard work though.

Crybaby

If the US gave up meat it would be equivalent of taking 60m cars off the road... on 18:44 - Sep 17 with 935 viewsSpruceMoose

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2019/sep/17/fighting-climate-cris

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024