Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That first half performance last night 08:19 - Sep 18 with 4735 viewsartsbossbeard

A thing of beauty at times.

I can see a championship team or even a lower premier team come knocking for The Mighty Flynn come January. Kinda lost it a little towards the end of the half after Norwood went off and we went a bit longer and higher to Keane. For some reason.

Harlem Globetrotters first half, Washington Generals second.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

That first half performance last night on 08:36 - Sep 18 with 4607 viewsblueislander

First time I had actually seen us this season. First half hour particularly good. Do we usually hoof it that much? I can’t recall any of the hoofs being won in the air. Ridiculous when we have that much ability in midfield. The full backs never showed for the ball from Holy.
That first half performance last night on 08:53 - Sep 18 with 4520 viewsDubtractor

That first half performance last night on 08:36 - Sep 18 by blueislander

First time I had actually seen us this season. First half hour particularly good. Do we usually hoof it that much? I can’t recall any of the hoofs being won in the air. Ridiculous when we have that much ability in midfield. The full backs never showed for the ball from Holy.

Re the long ball, I think we mix it up a bit, play decent passing football in spells but happy to go long a bit too.

Sometimes, such as first half Saturday, we go long far too often.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

That first half performance last night on 08:53 - Sep 18 with 4511 viewscrunchie1978

First half was awesome.
And simply because they kept the ball on the deck.
That first half performance last night on 08:56 - Sep 18 with 4486 viewsblueislander

That first half performance last night on 08:53 - Sep 18 by Dubtractor

Re the long ball, I think we mix it up a bit, play decent passing football in spells but happy to go long a bit too.

Sometimes, such as first half Saturday, we go long far too often.

How can we be happy to go long if we never win a header? We are just giving the ball away. We have players quite capable of retaining the ball.
That first half performance last night on 09:01 - Sep 18 with 4462 viewsDubtractor

That first half performance last night on 08:56 - Sep 18 by blueislander

How can we be happy to go long if we never win a header? We are just giving the ball away. We have players quite capable of retaining the ball.

Norwood wins loads of headers.

No point just being predictable with one style of play as it is too easy to defend against. First half against Wimbledon, were we kept it on the deck, a prime example of this.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

That first half performance last night on 09:05 - Sep 18 with 4432 viewsbluefunk

That first half performance last night on 08:56 - Sep 18 by blueislander

Going long also prevents the opposition full backs from advancing too far up the pitch, something they also did to us in the second half to pin our full backs
That first half performance last night on 09:11 - Sep 18 with 4408 viewsitfc48

Keane's touch is a thing a beauty though. He plucked a few out the sky last night. I can see him working well with Norwood. For me, Jackson just doesn't have the footballing brain to make it at a higher level.

It might be an unpopular view but I quite like the tactic of Holy hammering the ball deep into the opposition half then trying to win the second ball. Not sure why some many teams try to play out from the back, I would say it has more pitfalls than benefits especially at our level.
That first half performance last night on 09:15 - Sep 18 with 4378 viewsitfcjoe

First half hour we gave them an absolute footballing lesson, was great to watch - so much quality in the midfield.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

That first half performance last night on 10:16 - Sep 18 with 4240 viewsblueislander

That first half performance last night on 09:15 - Sep 18 by itfcjoe

First half hour we gave them an absolute footballing lesson, was great to watch - so much quality in the midfield.

Exactly. Then we largely bypassed the midfield. In the game I was watching Norwood hardly won any headers from the long punts. Keane certainly didn’t in the second half.
That first half performance last night on 10:22 - Sep 18 with 4201 viewsPJH

That first half performance last night on 10:16 - Sep 18 by blueislander

Exactly. Then we largely bypassed the midfield. In the game I was watching Norwood hardly won any headers from the long punts. Keane certainly didn’t in the second half.

I think Keane is normally far better than Norwood if we are trying to use any sort of target man.
Despite what someone else has said I do not notice Norwood winning many headers but Keane usually does and Keane's ball control is also a lot better.
If you are looking at playing balls over the top then pace is necessary but if you are actually aiming the ball to a man to hold up or flick on then Keane is by far our best option.
That first half performance last night on 10:28 - Sep 18 with 4168 viewsblueislander

That first half performance last night on 10:22 - Sep 18 by PJH

I think Keane is normally far better than Norwood if we are trying to use any sort of target man.
Despite what someone else has said I do not notice Norwood winning many headers but Keane usually does and Keane's ball control is also a lot better.
If you are looking at playing balls over the top then pace is necessary but if you are actually aiming the ball to a man to hold up or flick on then Keane is by far our best option.

If that is so, and I have no reason to doubt it, we should be aiming long balls to Keane at a height and weight where he can get the ball under control rather than three feet above his head as we did last night.
That first half performance last night on 10:33 - Sep 18 with 4138 viewsPJH

That first half performance last night on 10:28 - Sep 18 by blueislander

If that is so, and I have no reason to doubt it, we should be aiming long balls to Keane at a height and weight where he can get the ball under control rather than three feet above his head as we did last night.

Agree, last night most of the balls played forward in the second half were just to get the ball away from our goal rather than being aimed at anyone in particular.
I was just saying that if at some point we are actually trying to play with a target man(as we did very successfully for a while with Murphy)then that target man should be Keane.

Obviously looking to play a ball over the top for someone to run on to and playing a ball directly to a player to flick on or hold up are two different things but second half last night we were doing neither.
That first half performance last night on 10:36 - Sep 18 with 4128 viewsblueislander

That first half performance last night on 10:33 - Sep 18 by PJH

Agree, last night most of the balls played forward in the second half were just to get the ball away from our goal rather than being aimed at anyone in particular.
I was just saying that if at some point we are actually trying to play with a target man(as we did very successfully for a while with Murphy)then that target man should be Keane.

Obviously looking to play a ball over the top for someone to run on to and playing a ball directly to a player to flick on or hold up are two different things but second half last night we were doing neither.

I would say that despite the overuse last night, Holy seems to be able to kick more accurately than Bart.
That first half performance last night on 10:39 - Sep 18 with 4115 viewsPJH

That first half performance last night on 10:36 - Sep 18 by blueislander

I would say that despite the overuse last night, Holy seems to be able to kick more accurately than Bart.

Yes, that is a plus.

Despite Holy putting two kicks straight out of play late on against Doncaster last Saturday his kicking is far stronger and usually far more accurate than Bart's.
That first half performance last night on 10:56 - Sep 18 with 4057 viewsTractorCam

I'm amazed a Championship team didn't come in for him in the summer.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

That first half performance last night on 11:46 - Sep 18 with 3951 viewsWestcountryblue

Huws and Skuse on the pitch takes out ability to retain the ball up several levels, with Downes doing to combative stuff. It's a good mix of players we have in our midfield.
That first half performance last night on 13:06 - Sep 18 with 3732 viewsGarv

That first half performance last night on 10:22 - Sep 18 by PJH

Keane is great at bringing it under control when you might not expect it. Norwood won't win every ball but I like that he makes the defender really work to win it, and maybe in doing so helps us get up the pitch with throws etc.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

That first half performance last night on 13:16 - Sep 18 with 3692 viewsPJH

That first half performance last night on 13:06 - Sep 18 by Garv

Keane is great at bringing it under control when you might not expect it. Norwood won't win every ball but I like that he makes the defender really work to win it, and maybe in doing so helps us get up the pitch with throws etc.

Yes, I agree Norwood does make things very difficult for his opponent but I do not think that he would be nearly as good as Keane in the role if we ever used a conventional target man.
That first half performance last night on 13:18 - Sep 18 with 3676 viewshaynes_toe1

No Prem team will be coming in for Downes but I can see a mid-table championship team putting in some decent bids in January
That first half performance last night on 13:33 - Sep 18 with 3642 viewsDarth_Koont

It's bittersweet for me. I agree that we looked well in control in that first 30 minutes or so, keeping the ball very well and making MK Dons look pretty amateur.

But we didn't create a massive amount (if Jackson had converted the one-on-one as he probably should then we'd have been 2-0 up from our only real chances). And then after that, we were pretty average ourselves/MK Dons stopped playing poorly in comparison.

All against a backdrop that is just League One and not where we want to be anyway.

Overall there's been a lot of encouragement and small spells where we look like we know what we're doing. But if we're going to make sure of automatic promotion then I'd like us to be a bit more convincing as a team and how we want to play. Not least because even promotion is irrelevant if we just end up struggling in the Championship again. Because if there's any positive about our relegation it's the opportunity to come back stronger.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024