Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cole Skuse 13:22 - Sep 18 with 7735 viewstownman1986

He has been one of the scapegoats the last couple of seasons but this year he’s got my vote for player of the year so far
Cole Skuse on 19:24 - Sep 18 with 2946 viewsthatdamgood89

You are confusing declining ability at the league above with being a scapegoat.

Skuse was a declining championship midfielder he is, however, a really good league 1 midfielder. As he should be

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

Cole Skuse on 19:48 - Sep 18 with 2915 viewsEpiphone

Cole Skuse on 18:58 - Sep 18 by Wickets

Err or perhaps the other way round .

Err,but this thread’s about Skuse’s apparent rise in form not Downes’;)
Cole Skuse on 19:50 - Sep 18 with 2908 viewsPJH

Cole Skuse on 19:48 - Sep 18 by Epiphone

Err,but this thread’s about Skuse’s apparent rise in form not Downes’;)

Skuse is not having a rise in form particularly, he is playing very well at the moment but he has always been a good player.
Cole Skuse on 20:19 - Sep 18 with 2877 viewspowinswitch

I think Skuse is having a very good season, and his performances have been consistently good. What he does for the team he does very well. What I have a problem with, is who he shares the midfield with.

Looking at this season, I think our midfield did really well in the first half against Sunderland, and again last night. I wasn’t so impressed against Peterborough, Wimbledon until the last 15 mins, or Doncaster.

When we played Wimbledon, I thought that was representative of what will happen a few times when we play weaker sides. They came and parked the bus. I feel that a combination of Skuse and Downes are limited in their ability to unlock such sides. I acknowledge that the likes of Huws, Nolan and Bishop haven’t been or still aren’t available to pair with one or other. Now that we are getting them back, I hope to see either Skuse or Downes, paired with one of the ball players

I do see Skuse as poor with the ball. He rarely plays the ball first time, unless playing a wall pass back to a defender. He rarely plays on the half turn, and whilst that may not be his strength, as a central midfielder, I expect him to take more responsibility when receiving the ball from a defender.

He is though a good defensive midfielder, and I would never suggest he has given anything less than his best. He has been a very good defensive midfielder throughout his time with us, but I do feel he has suffered with being in ‘too defensive’ central midfield combinations.
Cole Skuse on 20:33 - Sep 18 with 2864 viewsreusersfreekicks

Cole Skuse on 20:19 - Sep 18 by powinswitch

I think Skuse is having a very good season, and his performances have been consistently good. What he does for the team he does very well. What I have a problem with, is who he shares the midfield with.

Looking at this season, I think our midfield did really well in the first half against Sunderland, and again last night. I wasn’t so impressed against Peterborough, Wimbledon until the last 15 mins, or Doncaster.

When we played Wimbledon, I thought that was representative of what will happen a few times when we play weaker sides. They came and parked the bus. I feel that a combination of Skuse and Downes are limited in their ability to unlock such sides. I acknowledge that the likes of Huws, Nolan and Bishop haven’t been or still aren’t available to pair with one or other. Now that we are getting them back, I hope to see either Skuse or Downes, paired with one of the ball players

I do see Skuse as poor with the ball. He rarely plays the ball first time, unless playing a wall pass back to a defender. He rarely plays on the half turn, and whilst that may not be his strength, as a central midfielder, I expect him to take more responsibility when receiving the ball from a defender.

He is though a good defensive midfielder, and I would never suggest he has given anything less than his best. He has been a very good defensive midfielder throughout his time with us, but I do feel he has suffered with being in ‘too defensive’ central midfield combinations.

In the Lambert years he has taken to majestic cross field passes which, i believe, had not been seen before from him.
Cole Skuse on 21:25 - Sep 18 with 2829 viewsBiGDonnie

Cole Skuse on 19:50 - Sep 18 by PJH

Skuse is not having a rise in form particularly, he is playing very well at the moment but he has always been a good player.

He was an average championship midfielder for his entire career. Unfortunately for him a lot of his career was at the circus that was ITFC for many years which wouldn’t help anyone.

Playing well now and would have done better with better managers in previous years but the amount of games that have drifted past him far outweighs the games he’s taken by the scruff of the neck.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Cole Skuse on 21:25 - Sep 18 with 2830 viewsghostofescobar

Just realised that Cole Skuse is quite a cool name. I’d like to have been named Cole Skuse. Cole Skuse. yes, I like it. Sounds like a cool kat jazz musician.

GhostOfEscobar

Cole Skuse on 13:11 - Sep 20 with 2701 viewsOsborneOneNil

Cole Skuse on 21:25 - Sep 18 by BiGDonnie

He was an average championship midfielder for his entire career. Unfortunately for him a lot of his career was at the circus that was ITFC for many years which wouldn’t help anyone.

Playing well now and would have done better with better managers in previous years but the amount of games that have drifted past him far outweighs the games he’s taken by the scruff of the neck.

100%, bang on.

I find it a bit weird how people have to slate those of us who, whilst appreciating Skuse for his efforts for the club, are honest in their feelings that he is/was a bang average Championship central midfielder. Not rubbish, but definitely not as good as some make out.

It's a totally fair comment to suggest he is now at a level that suits. The fact that many are saying he's their POTY, so far, would suggest as much because he wasn't close in the previous 3 years.
Login to get fewer ads

Cole Skuse on 13:15 - Sep 20 with 2697 viewsOsborneOneNil

Cole Skuse on 18:51 - Sep 18 by Terry_Nutkins

God these sort of horse dung comments grate. Found his level. Yes, every manager who has ever managed him says he has prem quality. In your odious wisdom of course he's found his level. Strong chance you know best.

Get a grip, Nutkins. I made an comment suggesting he has 'maybe' found his level. Nothing nasty or highly critical. Rather than just think he is amazing because 2 managers have said he has prem quality, why not make get your own opinion. Mullet is the same.

He's ok, not great, just ok. If he has/had prem quality why has no club ever taken him to the prem? There's an easy answer to that one.
Cole Skuse on 15:45 - Sep 20 with 2674 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Cole Skuse on 13:11 - Sep 20 by OsborneOneNil

100%, bang on.

I find it a bit weird how people have to slate those of us who, whilst appreciating Skuse for his efforts for the club, are honest in their feelings that he is/was a bang average Championship central midfielder. Not rubbish, but definitely not as good as some make out.

It's a totally fair comment to suggest he is now at a level that suits. The fact that many are saying he's their POTY, so far, would suggest as much because he wasn't close in the previous 3 years.

Any time you'd slate him whilst in the Championship the pattern on this forum was always the same: 'if you criticise him you know nothing about the football blah blah blah, you don't understand his role in the team'. In the eyes of some (mostly those who have been adoring mccarthy) he was totally free of criticism that was really weird. A lot of poor performances in the Championship where his presence did no positives for us. No better club than us has ever been after him and that says something. I don't care what mccarthy says about him as he's been one of his proper, undroppable blokes.

Bristol City fans had been happy to let him go a few years ago.

Can't say a bad word about him nowadays so as you say it's a very fair comment that he has found his level.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2019 17:29]
Cole Skuse on 16:57 - Sep 20 with 2639 viewsPJH

Cole Skuse on 15:45 - Sep 20 by Mach_foreignBlue

Any time you'd slate him whilst in the Championship the pattern on this forum was always the same: 'if you criticise him you know nothing about the football blah blah blah, you don't understand his role in the team'. In the eyes of some (mostly those who have been adoring mccarthy) he was totally free of criticism that was really weird. A lot of poor performances in the Championship where his presence did no positives for us. No better club than us has ever been after him and that says something. I don't care what mccarthy says about him as he's been one of his proper, undroppable blokes.

Can't say a bad word about him nowadays so as you say it's a very fair comment that he has found his level.

I had always wondered why Bristol City supporters always gave Cole Skuse such warm applause every time he went back there with us but now that you have explained it I understand that it is because they were happy that he left.
Cole Skuse on 17:13 - Sep 20 with 2627 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Cole Skuse on 16:57 - Sep 20 by PJH

I had always wondered why Bristol City supporters always gave Cole Skuse such warm applause every time he went back there with us but now that you have explained it I understand that it is because they were happy that he left.

You don't need to wonder anymore then.
Cole Skuse on 17:14 - Sep 20 with 2627 viewsPJH

Cole Skuse on 17:13 - Sep 20 by Mach_foreignBlue

You don't need to wonder anymore then.

No, if there is anything that I am ever unsure about I will just ask you.
Cole Skuse on 17:56 - Sep 20 with 2599 viewsBiGDonnie

Cole Skuse on 13:11 - Sep 20 by OsborneOneNil

100%, bang on.

We've known for years lad!

COYBs

Cole Skuse on 17:59 - Sep 20 with 2594 viewsBiGDonnie

Cole Skuse on 13:15 - Sep 20 by OsborneOneNil

Get a grip, Nutkins. I made an comment suggesting he has 'maybe' found his level. Nothing nasty or highly critical. Rather than just think he is amazing because 2 managers have said he has prem quality, why not make get your own opinion. Mullet is the same.

He's ok, not great, just ok. If he has/had prem quality why has no club ever taken him to the prem? There's an easy answer to that one.

It's all gone a bit quiet on this one ain't it. It's too easy sometimes.

He's gonna score the winner tomorrow.

COYBs

Cole Skuse on 20:00 - Sep 20 with 2555 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Cole Skuse on 17:59 - Sep 20 by BiGDonnie

It's all gone a bit quiet on this one ain't it. It's too easy sometimes.

He's gonna score the winner tomorrow.

Didn't realise this thread was still going. The arguments haven't got any stronger. Still, you guys know better than all the professionals who have ever managed him.

This argument that he can't be prem quality as never played in prem? If we'd gone up through playoffs last time would he have been prem quality then? Are there no other numerous examples of players who never got the break?

We'll agree to differ and move.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Cole Skuse on 20:06 - Sep 20 with 2549 viewsPJH

Cole Skuse on 20:00 - Sep 20 by Terry_Nutkins

Didn't realise this thread was still going. The arguments haven't got any stronger. Still, you guys know better than all the professionals who have ever managed him.

This argument that he can't be prem quality as never played in prem? If we'd gone up through playoffs last time would he have been prem quality then? Are there no other numerous examples of players who never got the break?

We'll agree to differ and move.

It is not just the people that manage him it is also the people that play with him that recognise his qualities but as you say, what would they know.
Cole Skuse on 20:34 - Sep 20 with 2542 viewsSwansea_Blue

Cole Skuse on 21:25 - Sep 18 by ghostofescobar

Just realised that Cole Skuse is quite a cool name. I’d like to have been named Cole Skuse. Cole Skuse. yes, I like it. Sounds like a cool kat jazz musician.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Cole Skuse on 20:39 - Sep 20 with 2537 viewsjas0999

... whether we like it or not, we are now a League One side. Plenty good enough is Cole at this level. No doubt. Been great. Wasn’t good enough at Championship level last season, so not really comparable.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2019 20:41]
Cole Skuse on 23:09 - Sep 20 with 2501 viewsTractorWood

He looks very statesman like at this level. More time on the ball and less shackled than in the past.

Sounds incredibly harsh but there's a reason he's never played at the highest level. He's functional and technically very well suited to his job but he's very one dimensional and usually, very negative. Watch a video of Makelele or Kante at Leicester or Sergio Busquests live to see how unbelievably important this role is and how it can be done. I thought Eric Dier might get into this bracket but he seems to be faltering a bit.

He'll be important for us this season and is a very safe pair of hands. He also seems painfully cool and unfootballer like, which I have to say is refreshing. He seems like the sort person who would be reading poetry or stroking his beard at modern art on a Saturday afternoon if he wasn't playing.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Cole Skuse on 08:47 - Sep 21 with 2440 viewsstrikalite

Cole Skuse on 20:39 - Sep 20 by jas0999

... whether we like it or not, we are now a League One side. Plenty good enough is Cole at this level. No doubt. Been great. Wasn’t good enough at Championship level last season, so not really comparable.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2019 20:41]

Agree, his experience for this level is pretty telling right now, I expect his confidence is up and he's playing as well as I've seen him, I do see his qualities, but I just didn't think he was good enough for the top end of the Championship..
Cole Skuse on 09:00 - Sep 21 with 2431 viewsMullet

Cole Skuse on 08:47 - Sep 21 by strikalite

Agree, his experience for this level is pretty telling right now, I expect his confidence is up and he's playing as well as I've seen him, I do see his qualities, but I just didn't think he was good enough for the top end of the Championship..

He definitely was when we finished there, and he was one of best players weekly when we started to slip from there for years. Last season he was plagued by injuries and the abusive nature of Hurst and Doig as was Chambers and they still battled when plenty hid etc.

I do find the Prem comments from Lambert very funny, given the rustling they caused. It's not unreasonable to think had someone taken him away from Brizzle earlier he could have played in any of the team who went up in that era, plenty of crapper midfielders have had a season or two there yet people are offended by the notion as he's not Keane or Kante.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Cole Skuse on 10:15 - Sep 21 with 2406 viewsstrikalite

Cole Skuse on 09:00 - Sep 21 by Mullet

He definitely was when we finished there, and he was one of best players weekly when we started to slip from there for years. Last season he was plagued by injuries and the abusive nature of Hurst and Doig as was Chambers and they still battled when plenty hid etc.

I do find the Prem comments from Lambert very funny, given the rustling they caused. It's not unreasonable to think had someone taken him away from Brizzle earlier he could have played in any of the team who went up in that era, plenty of crapper midfielders have had a season or two there yet people are offended by the notion as he's not Keane or Kante.

He does have a good footballing brain, he reads the game very well, I've always questioned his touch(see both Lincoln games here for example)and you'll never see him drive forward when a ten yard gap is presented to him which in today's game at the top level is pretty much a must...but I understand that isn't his game, no doubt MM did too, but when it comes to old school midfield defending at breaking up play I don't think anybody can question him..
Cole Skuse on 10:26 - Sep 21 with 2402 viewsbraveblue

Cole Skuse on 19:20 - Sep 18 by artsbossbeard

Spoken like a true Football Manager player.

Afraid not. Just an opinion. Shocking!!
Cole Skuse on 11:45 - Sep 21 with 2376 viewsNo9

Cole Skuse on 15:45 - Sep 20 by Mach_foreignBlue

When he left BC I did a sweep of their version of TWTD he was not considered to be a loss to the team quite the reverse with many believing he had played a mojor part in the demise of BC

He is having a better time now simply because the new team management set up is mainly playing square pegs in square holes + the new enthusiasm from good youngsters.

The midfield rebuild is still not complete
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024