Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Education, it is never too late 22:42 - Sep 18 with 1642 viewswkj

First of all, if are a fresher, or have kids who are freshers, best of luck in the daunting Freshers week and first step towards an academic journey. Whilst the first year doesn't count towards the class of honours, knuckling down and learning self driven study habits and academic confidence counts for everything.

Also, if you are considering going back to Uni as a mature student, get off the fence and do it. You are entitled to an undergraduate student loan if you have never had one, and after 30 years the loan is forgiven for whatever you don't pay back on 9% of earnings over a salary of £27k (*6% on post graduate)

I have the pleasure studying along side people who are in their 70's and although they may not use the qualification for employment purposes, they all say the experience is enriching and greatly fills their life with enjoyment and a goal.

Whilst you don't need a degree to be successful, there is a lot more to draw from the experience than a bit of paper and £20k of debt.

I started study with the Open Uni in my 30s last year, and while that is considered young, it was daunting considering it, but I have learnt so much about myself, more than I did from ambling tutorial blogs and videos online.

But most of all, good luck to those who are taking that step, it can be a truly wonderful, yet stressful, journey.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2019 22:44]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Education, it is never too late on 03:15 - Sep 19 with 1555 viewsIP12

The first paragraph of wkj's words of wisdom are probably some of the most sensible thoughts that have appeared on the TWTD Forum for some time (and there's no mention of Brexit, Boris or Corbyn...)
Education, it is never too late on 05:47 - Sep 19 with 1527 viewsRyorry

Spot on. Some of the best times of my life were when I was doing my OU degree (spread it out from age 28 to 40), wasn't for career, just enjoyment/expansion, loved every minute. And the learning wasn't just in the subject matter but in life skills too - critical thinking, objective assessment, how to research, debate, construct a sound argument with evidence, referencing etc.

Everyone should go for it! Tho financing now is a helluva lot more difficult than when I was studying (mostly in the 1980s)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Education, it is never too late on 06:56 - Sep 19 with 1479 viewsBlueBadger

You won't need an education after November 1st, just a blue passport. anyone saying otherwise is a TRAITOR.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Education, it is never too late on 07:13 - Sep 19 with 1458 viewshampstead_blue

Well said.

Uni is tough but well worth it.
I went to Uni when I was 32 and did an MSc straight after. It was great.
You certainly do have a different perspective to work than the youngsters.

The student loan is also good to take. Stick in a SIPP, it stacks-up, and enjoy it at retirement.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Education, it is never too late on 09:30 - Sep 19 with 1372 viewsChurchman

I completed an OU degree in my late 20s early 30s and never regretted it. Aside from the subject matter which was interesting and the sense of achievement, I learned how to learn (different to school where it was battered into you), manage time and so much more.

Good luck to all those starting out - a real positive life changer.
Education, it is never too late on 09:33 - Sep 19 with 1367 viewsbrazil1982

Good post. However, some first year results do count towards the overall classification.

I studied with the OU and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Education, it is never too late on 09:37 - Sep 19 with 1357 viewswkj

Education, it is never too late on 09:33 - Sep 19 by brazil1982

Good post. However, some first year results do count towards the overall classification.

I studied with the OU and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Didn't know that. You often see people say the first year doesn't count on forums, sometimes even tutors, but that is good to know some credits in Y1 count.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2019 9:37]

Crybaby

Education, it is never too late on 09:50 - Sep 19 with 1323 viewsitfcjoe

I went to uni in the normal way when I left school, dropped out after flunking 2nd year - did the wrong course, didn't work hard enough, went out too much - I did enjoy the experience for what it was but it was effectively a 2 year gap year and then I had to start at the bottom of a company and work through it which went well.

I've often at times felt frustrated that I don't have a degree.

I looked at going back to uni 2 years ago, alongside my job with day release and found a course that interested me on a 5 year part time course, money was eye-watering but would be able to put it through work.

Fortunately I spoke to a friend around this time whose wife worked in recruitment at Uni of Suffolk for their new Apprenticeship Degrees, and after having a chat with her, the course leader and my employer I enrolled on to a Business Management degree a few weeks later.

THis is a 3 year, full time course though, but has to be done in 1 day a week as day release - it's bloody tough at times - I had a 10 month old when I started it, and had another baby during my second year.

Managing 2 kids, an attempt to get fitter, a full time job which involves lots of extra hours, all the other bits I do with ITFC (as a choice) like Academy Twitter feed, Football manager research, youth football, season ticket, holidays and not wanting to change my lifestyle has been a real challenge over the last 2 years but I've just had my grades through and have completed my second year and all is going well.

I'm aiming for a 2:1, and pretty confident, time commitments and not wanting to make more sacrifices make a 1st just out of reach for me.

I makes me regret not working harder first time round, but it all happens for a reason and am very content with my life as it is, and think the circumstances I am doing this degree in will have taught me much more about myself

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Education, it is never too late on 09:53 - Sep 19 with 1313 viewsfooters

Well done and good luck to wkj and all the fellow book botherers :)

But remember that every day is a day for learnin' and it needn't be confined to a lecture hall or library. As others have mentioned, although a degree or other qualification can help you get ahead in the world of work, the pleasure of learning a new skill or improving an old one is enough in itself.

Besides, we've had enough of experts.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Education, it is never too late on 10:00 - Sep 19 with 1293 viewslowhouseblue

Education, it is never too late on 09:50 - Sep 19 by itfcjoe

I went to uni in the normal way when I left school, dropped out after flunking 2nd year - did the wrong course, didn't work hard enough, went out too much - I did enjoy the experience for what it was but it was effectively a 2 year gap year and then I had to start at the bottom of a company and work through it which went well.

I looked at going back to uni 2 years ago, alongside my job with day release and found a course that interested me on a 5 year part time course, money was eye-watering but would be able to put it through work.

Fortunately I spoke to a friend around this time whose wife worked in recruitment at Uni of Suffolk for their new Apprenticeship Degrees, and after having a chat with her, the course leader and my employer I enrolled on to a Business Management degree a few weeks later.

THis is a 3 year, full time course though, but has to be done in 1 day a week as day release - it's bloody tough at times - I had a 10 month old when I started it, and had another baby during my second year.

Managing 2 kids, an attempt to get fitter, a full time job which involves lots of extra hours, all the other bits I do with ITFC (as a choice) like Academy Twitter feed, Football manager research, youth football, season ticket, holidays and not wanting to change my lifestyle has been a real challenge over the last 2 years but I've just had my grades through and have completed my second year and all is going well.

I'm aiming for a 2:1, and pretty confident, time commitments and not wanting to make more sacrifices make a 1st just out of reach for me.

I makes me regret not working harder first time round, but it all happens for a reason and am very content with my life as it is, and think the circumstances I am doing this degree in will have taught me much more about myself

combining serious study with a full-time job, plus all the rest, is a huge achievement.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Education, it is never too late on 10:01 - Sep 19 with 1286 viewsbrazil1982

Education, it is never too late on 09:37 - Sep 19 by wkj

Didn't know that. You often see people say the first year doesn't count on forums, sometimes even tutors, but that is good to know some credits in Y1 count.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2019 9:37]

It's not wide spread, but the course I manage has 10% for the first year. This doesn't affect the overall too much but is enough to get the students to attend and do the assessment. Well, almost...
Education, it is never too late on 10:03 - Sep 19 with 1276 viewswkj

Education, it is never too late on 09:50 - Sep 19 by itfcjoe

2:1 is a good benchmark and quite realistic to achieve just by puttingt he time in, even if the subject mate is a bit difficult, I have no doubt that you'll get a 2:1

Crybaby

Education, it is never too late on 10:06 - Sep 19 with 1265 viewsitfcjoe

Education, it is never too late on 10:00 - Sep 19 by lowhouseblue

combining serious study with a full-time job, plus all the rest, is a huge achievement.

I sometimes forget that when I get marks through and am a bit disappointed with them, sure it will all b worth it!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Education, it is never too late on 10:28 - Sep 19 with 1226 viewshoppy

Education, it is never too late on 03:15 - Sep 19 by IP12

The first paragraph of wkj's words of wisdom are probably some of the most sensible thoughts that have appeared on the TWTD Forum for some time (and there's no mention of Brexit, Boris or Corbyn...)

Although, if you look a little bit closer, the first few words show why some education may still be necessary...

"First of all, if are a fresher, or have kids who are freshers..."

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Education, it is never too late on 10:30 - Sep 19 with 1215 viewswkj

Education, it is never too late on 10:28 - Sep 19 by hoppy

Although, if you look a little bit closer, the first few words show why some education may still be necessary...

I am a number jockey, not a wordsmith.

Crybaby

Education, it is never too late on 10:30 - Sep 19 with 1212 viewsNotMarcusEvans

Education, it is never too late on 10:28 - Sep 19 by hoppy

When it comes to freshers I always use a Glade plug in. You can get through 20 Benson a day and the old static still smells fresh as a daisy.
Education, it is never too late on 12:45 - Sep 19 with 1130 viewsBrixtonBlue

Education, it is never too late on 07:13 - Sep 19 by hampstead_blue

Well said.

Uni is tough but well worth it.
I went to Uni when I was 32 and did an MSc straight after. It was great.
You certainly do have a different perspective to work than the youngsters.

The student loan is also good to take. Stick in a SIPP, it stacks-up, and enjoy it at retirement.

I went to uni at 32 as well... followed by a creative advertising course afterwards.

Definitely well worth it, you grow so much just from the experience let alone the qualification(s). And yeah I agree you have a different perspective to the youngsters - you're more there out of choice than just falling into it after school, so you make more of the opportunity.

I wouldn't say it was particularly tough though!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024