Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? 16:01 - Sep 19 with 8600 viewsBrixtonBlue

Today, I sent a mass email where I CC-d everyone instead of BCC-ing them. Around 130 people who, instead of receiving a personal email, could now see everyone else. We're talking very important people in my industry, in terms of getting employment. I wanted to die.

It didn't actually turn out too bad, and the replies I got from people with their own stories of email mess-ups were brilliant, and helped me feel a little better about myself. One in particular told of a colleague who accidentally ‘replied all’ on a client email. It read “Argh. I wish she would just f*ck off!” The client, a massive global brand you’ve all heard of, then did exactly that.

My f*ck up was nothing in comparison.

Anyone else got any email embarrassment stories?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:07 - Sep 20 with 1441 viewshatch

My worse one coincided with Norwich beating us in the Play Offs and Berra getting sent off...

I had set up a filter system for certain emails in my inbox to go out to my management team on the Friday afternoon. I also sent a 'talent matrix' to my boss that evening - ranking my 9 managers from A1 to C3 based on chance of progression/performance. I had then proceeded to justify each ranking with a paragraph, one of which said next to a C2 'We should try to performance manage her out of the business'.

My boss replied 'Thanks for sending this through' and that email was automatically forwarded to all 9 managers who I just reviewed (as I had messed up the filtering set up).

I was at Rugby Sevens watching the Norwich v Ipswich game on Sky Go on my phone, Berra had just been sent off and I was fuming - these phone calls kept coming through and I kept ignoring them to see the replays. I finally called back this unknown number and it was one of the managers from work (a B1 thankfully) who had picked up the email and was thanking me for the praise but saying two or three other managers would be in for a shock.

Cue. panic. I ended up facebook messaging my HR staff to seek authorisation for IT to hack the staff accounts and delete the emails. It was all just a complete balls up and still to this day is my worst day in the 21st century.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2019 11:07]
What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:08 - Sep 20 with 1434 viewsLKW15

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 10:50 - Sep 20 by Oxford_Blue

Isn’t that a data breach under the GDPR?

yep, around the time GDPR came in I had an email from a company explaining how they were going to be compliant with GDPR but had done the CC/BCC thing too. it was followed 5 minutes later by another email, apologising for the error and how they would have to report it as a breach of GDPR
What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:10 - Sep 20 with 1422 viewswkj

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:05 - Sep 20 by Steve_M

Not quite that stark but when one of my colleagues started working for me , he spent the best part of a week sending e-mails ending with "Burgers" rather than "Best regards".

He was mortified but auto-correct kept doing it.

One thing this post highlights is the way we tend to end emails. Kind regards, best wishes, many thanks etc. I actually worked for a fella that told us not to sign off emails with meaningless pleasantries and simply end them with our name, or a simple "thanks". It was the best and most efficient communication method in the work place, and something Stokie would be a pro at given how he signs off on posts.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:12 - Sep 20 with 1403 viewsDecoy_Octopus

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:05 - Sep 20 by Steve_M

Not quite that stark but when one of my colleagues started working for me , he spent the best part of a week sending e-mails ending with "Burgers" rather than "Best regards".

He was mortified but auto-correct kept doing it.

Easily done

Typing quick I normally ended up with Knid Regdrs

The one time I type it slowly I get it wrong. Luckily my boss thought it was funny and the client guessed it was a mistake too. I did follow up apologising once I'd realised as I was Mortified.
What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:13 - Sep 20 with 1400 viewsfooters

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:10 - Sep 20 by wkj

One thing this post highlights is the way we tend to end emails. Kind regards, best wishes, many thanks etc. I actually worked for a fella that told us not to sign off emails with meaningless pleasantries and simply end them with our name, or a simple "thanks". It was the best and most efficient communication method in the work place, and something Stokie would be a pro at given how he signs off on posts.

Dear wkj,

That sounds a little too cold for my tastes. Let's pencil in a stand-up and imagineer actionable next steps.

Best regards,

footers

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:18 - Sep 20 with 1381 viewswkj

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:13 - Sep 20 by footers

Dear wkj,

That sounds a little too cold for my tastes. Let's pencil in a stand-up and imagineer actionable next steps.

Best regards,

footers

Dearest Footers MBE

Let's shoot for next Thursday. I would meet sooner but I have some onbaording to do with Spruce regarding the paradigm shift caused by Pam in accounts. Look forward to seeing how you plan on quarterbacking the Bentley project, touch base soon.

Kindest regards, with love

Jacob

Crybaby

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:19 - Sep 20 with 1380 viewsLesta_Tractor

A friend referred me for a job, all I had to do was email my CV to her boss (Gavin)...

I started my email with "Hi Craig,"

Got the job so maybe he didn't notice.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:24 - Sep 20 with 1365 viewswkj

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:19 - Sep 20 by Lesta_Tractor

A friend referred me for a job, all I had to do was email my CV to her boss (Gavin)...

I started my email with "Hi Craig,"

Got the job so maybe he didn't notice.

Should have started it 'Oh, hi mark'

Crybaby

Login to get fewer ads

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:27 - Sep 20 with 1363 viewsSteve_M

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:10 - Sep 20 by wkj

Yes, I tend towards that view personally. It's less of a point of contention than people starting e-mails, or worse IM conversations, with "I hope you are well...".

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:28 - Sep 20 with 1361 viewsfooters

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:18 - Sep 20 by wkj

Dearest Footers MBE

Let's shoot for next Thursday. I would meet sooner but I have some onbaording to do with Spruce regarding the paradigm shift caused by Pam in accounts. Look forward to seeing how you plan on quarterbacking the Bentley project, touch base soon.

Kindest regards, with love

Jacob

Oh great. Get that yank idiot in accounts and everything will be $15.99 plus VAT har har har. Hilarious.

And Bentley project going well. I've got myself a Peugeot Partner and a dozen smooth-skinned Arab chaps, practically hairless from the chin down.

Thursday sounds good. I look forward to it.

Yours,

F

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:32 - Sep 20 with 1347 viewsSpruceMoose

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:28 - Sep 20 by footers

Oh great. Get that yank idiot in accounts and everything will be $15.99 plus VAT har har har. Hilarious.

And Bentley project going well. I've got myself a Peugeot Partner and a dozen smooth-skinned Arab chaps, practically hairless from the chin down.

Thursday sounds good. I look forward to it.

Yours,

F

Sounds like a right Bobby Dazzler.

Burgers,

Jago
[Post edited 20 Sep 2019 11:33]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:34 - Sep 20 with 1342 viewsfooters

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:32 - Sep 20 by SpruceMoose

Sounds like a right Bobby Dazzler.

Burgers,

Jago
[Post edited 20 Sep 2019 11:33]

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:36 - Sep 20 with 1340 viewsglasso

Once stuck a flippant out of office that said something like, 'Don't message me today, I'm off to see Pearl Jam' before I went off to the gig.

Only I clicked the wrong thing in the (admittedly pretty confusing) Apple Mail and instead of replying to people who emailed me that day, it emailed a reply to every single email that was in my inbox at the time.

About 5,000 emails. And some people I email a lot got the message about 200 times.
What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 12:05 - Sep 20 with 1311 viewsSteve_M

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 11:34 - Sep 20 by footers

You let J2 back in the kitchen?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 12:06 - Sep 20 with 1310 viewsfooters

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 12:05 - Sep 20 by Steve_M

You let J2 back in the kitchen?

He's only allowed to use the tin opener after what happened last time. How the hell do you cut yourself with a ladle anyway?

P.S. In a perverse way I've always wanted to buy a tin of those burgers in gravy, but good sense and embarrassment has prevented me thus far. Has anyone tried them?
[Post edited 20 Sep 2019 12:07]

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 12:07 - Sep 20 with 1313 viewsmonytowbray

Had a client with "County" in their business name. The amount of times I called them c*nty in an email LOL.

Also in an old job there was a Dan there before me so I went by Callis. Had a client I'd sign off emails as "C", which happens to be next to "X". There were a few emails where I sent them a kiss at the end.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 12:10 - Sep 20 with 1301 viewswkj

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 12:07 - Sep 20 by monytowbray

Had a client with "County" in their business name. The amount of times I called them c*nty in an email LOL.

Also in an old job there was a Dan there before me so I went by Callis. Had a client I'd sign off emails as "C", which happens to be next to "X". There were a few emails where I sent them a kiss at the end.

Hahaha what a story Mark.

Crybaby

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 12:11 - Sep 20 with 1299 viewsfooters

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 12:10 - Sep 20 by wkj

Hahaha what a story Mark.

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 12:14 - Sep 20 with 1290 viewswkj

What's the worst you've fecked up on an email? on 12:11 - Sep 20 by footers

You are my favourite customer

Crybaby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024