Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Off to Barcelona tomorrow... 19:36 - Sep 19 with 1872 viewsvilanovablue

I lived there 20 years ago but haven't been back for over 10. I'm taking my partner and her Mum so have the classic things already booked in. I'm wondering if anyone has been recently that might be able to recommend something I don't know about. Suggestions welcome, smartarses need not respond.
Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 19:59 - Sep 19 with 1844 viewsSporall

Was there last month, but only did the obvious touristy stuff I'm afraid.
Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 20:08 - Sep 19 with 1831 viewsvilanovablue

Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 19:59 - Sep 19 by Sporall

Was there last month, but only did the obvious touristy stuff I'm afraid.

No worries that list of stuff is enormous...
Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 20:08 - Sep 19 with 1825 viewsgiant_stow

Go up the steep railway thing to the Olympic stadium and park there? You've probably thought of that.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 20:09 - Sep 19 with 1822 viewsBarcaBlue

I don't have anything to add other than the obvious. You've probably checked but rain forecast all day Saturday, Friday and Sunday a bit better.
Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 20:23 - Sep 19 with 1799 viewsvilanovablue

Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 20:09 - Sep 19 by BarcaBlue

I don't have anything to add other than the obvious. You've probably checked but rain forecast all day Saturday, Friday and Sunday a bit better.

Seen the forecast for Saturday, it'll be fine bar an enormous thunderstorm at some point. It's September it happens. We may also not have any of that because storms are hard to predict.
Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 01:04 - Sep 20 with 1685 viewsconnorscontract

I loved this restaurant in Poblenou: http://www.calamarga.cat/
Really friendly waiters and incredibly reasonable wine. We were only there for four nights but went back there for a second meal.

If you haven't been in 10 years then the inside of the Sagrada Familia will blow you away: most of the glass has now been installed and the effect of the light on the interior is absolutely incredible.
Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 07:19 - Sep 20 with 1608 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Hope you are not flying Thomas Cook....possibly.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 07:41 - Sep 20 with 1594 viewsBloomBlue

Went a few months ago and did the land sea & air tour. It last approx 4 hours and involves seeing the various tourist type sites, but some via walking some from being on a boat and some from a helicopter flight, the cost was €100 but well worth it.
Login to get fewer ads

Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 08:01 - Sep 20 with 1581 viewsWeWereZombies

I think this is the same place that I went to fifteen years ago to see Michel Camilo:

https://www.palaumusica.cat/en

Big space, packed out, classical pianist from the Dominican Republic backed by the local symphony orchestra and excellent concert topped off with the Spanish guy next to me leaping to his feet at the end and giving it the full 'Bravo!' and spontaneous applause at the end.

Went up to Montserrat the same weekend where it was a dodgy drive up an icy road to sit in an unheated space with temperature about six below, should have been awful but the absence of crowds brought out the wonder of the place.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 09:20 - Sep 20 with 1518 viewsSwansea_Blue

I did the marathon when I went, but that may be a bit more than you're looking to do

(and it's not until the early Spring - well worth it though, one of the most hospitable races I've ever done).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 13:00 - Sep 20 with 1460 viewsvilanovablue

Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 08:01 - Sep 20 by WeWereZombies

I think this is the same place that I went to fifteen years ago to see Michel Camilo:

https://www.palaumusica.cat/en

Big space, packed out, classical pianist from the Dominican Republic backed by the local symphony orchestra and excellent concert topped off with the Spanish guy next to me leaping to his feet at the end and giving it the full 'Bravo!' and spontaneous applause at the end.

Went up to Montserrat the same weekend where it was a dodgy drive up an icy road to sit in an unheated space with temperature about six below, should have been awful but the absence of crowds brought out the wonder of the place.

Montserrat is incredible but not for us this weekend. The Palau Musica Catalans is on the list.
Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 13:02 - Sep 20 with 1458 viewsvilanovablue

Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 01:04 - Sep 20 by connorscontract

I loved this restaurant in Poblenou: http://www.calamarga.cat/
Really friendly waiters and incredibly reasonable wine. We were only there for four nights but went back there for a second meal.

If you haven't been in 10 years then the inside of the Sagrada Familia will blow you away: most of the glass has now been installed and the effect of the light on the interior is absolutely incredible.

That looks great, cheers. We're booked in for the Sagrada Familia I first went in 1997 when it didn't have a roof! I'm really looking forward to it.
Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 13:07 - Sep 20 with 1449 viewsBluefish

The audio tour of la padrera (?) was excellent and a highlight. No one that I know has been and done it, everyone just rushes to sagrada familia. Do la padrera first because you will learn lots more about gaudi
[Post edited 20 Sep 2019 13:08]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 17:08 - Sep 20 with 1399 viewsconnorscontract

Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 13:02 - Sep 20 by vilanovablue

That looks great, cheers. We're booked in for the Sagrada Familia I first went in 1997 when it didn't have a roof! I'm really looking forward to it.

There was an elderly Japanese man stood near us at one point in the Sagrada Familia who was in tears. He explained to us that he last came ten years ago and the transformation was just overwhelming.

Downstairs in the museum there is Gaudi's original model through which he worked out the exact positioning and height of the arches. It's basically an upside-down cat's cradle of the Cathedral, with each centre-point of knotted string representing an arch, and weights hung off each one to represent the load so that he could design the perfect structure to distribute the weight of the roof and towers.

If you want to read up on it and wouldn't consider it a spoiler, photos and explanation here:

http://dataphys.org/list/gaudis-hanging-chain-models/

I think it's the most precise and cleverest thing I have ever seen, but nearly everyone just breezed past with scarcely a glance!

The wines in the restaurant I listed are typically £10 to 15 in wine merchants here, so to have them in a restaurant for Eu12-18 is cracking value. Some are available by the glass as well.
Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 22:57 - Sep 20 with 1339 viewsvilanovablue

Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 17:08 - Sep 20 by connorscontract

There was an elderly Japanese man stood near us at one point in the Sagrada Familia who was in tears. He explained to us that he last came ten years ago and the transformation was just overwhelming.

Downstairs in the museum there is Gaudi's original model through which he worked out the exact positioning and height of the arches. It's basically an upside-down cat's cradle of the Cathedral, with each centre-point of knotted string representing an arch, and weights hung off each one to represent the load so that he could design the perfect structure to distribute the weight of the roof and towers.

If you want to read up on it and wouldn't consider it a spoiler, photos and explanation here:

http://dataphys.org/list/gaudis-hanging-chain-models/

I think it's the most precise and cleverest thing I have ever seen, but nearly everyone just breezed past with scarcely a glance!

The wines in the restaurant I listed are typically £10 to 15 in wine merchants here, so to have them in a restaurant for Eu12-18 is cracking value. Some are available by the glass as well.

I've seen the models and yes it's an incredible thing they were there when I first went. The saddest thing is Gaudi's plans and models for the place were destroyed in the civil war so we'll never know what it was meant to be. I know the now main entrance by Subirachs was very contentious when first built. I'm off to have a look at the link now, cheers.
Off to Barcelona tomorrow... on 23:27 - Sep 20 with 1323 viewsMVBlue

Ah Barcelona. I first went there 2006 with a lady and have since been back twice with other girlfriends, just love it. Park Guell is always a trip I make to look over the entire city for no cost and see Gaudi pieces too.
Another tip would be the beach trip just out of the city, available on the city train is better than the City beaches and an escape from the city for a half day. Platja de Castelldefels is the train stop.

One more thing. I knew an Aussie from Melbourne, where I also was, which consistently finishes in top index of best cities. He visited Barcelona and was blown away how good it was and thought it was more of a hidden treasure than the over hyped Paris, Rome and London etc and superior to Melbourne by far.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2019 23:30]

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024