Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Which cover crop would be the best bet 12:01 - Sep 20 with 1248 viewswkj

The new allotment has been fallow for 3 years and seems to have last been used for spuds, heavy clay soil. Torn between clover, mustard and possibly rye with a covering of pig s***. What would you do?

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Which cover crop would be the best bet on 12:31 - Sep 20 with 1227 viewsBluefish

GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Which cover crop would be the best bet on 12:33 - Sep 20 with 1222 viewshomer_123

Which cover crop would be the best bet on 12:31 - Sep 20 by Bluefish

GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

It's gone from the M25....

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Which cover crop would be the best bet on 12:45 - Sep 20 with 1205 viewsBluefish

Which cover crop would be the best bet on 12:33 - Sep 20 by homer_123

It's gone from the M25....

Helch is taking over everyone all the way along the bottom part of the m1 and m25 and m3. I quite like some of them but getting rid of gives peas a chance should mean a public flogging

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Which cover crop would be the best bet on 13:20 - Sep 20 with 1180 viewsBackToRussia

Can't go wrong with cereal rye and vetch. But given it's been fallow anyway, the easiest thing would to just be to leave it overwinter and mow and then plough on spring.

Still manure tho
[Post edited 20 Sep 2019 13:22]

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Which cover crop would be the best bet on 17:38 - Sep 20 with 1130 viewsRyorry

Ptp

Pigs then potatoes

Pigs will root it all up & fertilise it, potatoes will get right down & break it up further.

You'll need a bloody good fence though!
[Post edited 20 Sep 2019 17:39]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Which cover crop would be the best bet on 23:38 - Sep 20 with 1050 viewsjeera

Which cover crop would be the best bet on 13:20 - Sep 20 by BackToRussia

Can't go wrong with cereal rye and vetch. But given it's been fallow anyway, the easiest thing would to just be to leave it overwinter and mow and then plough on spring.

Still manure tho
[Post edited 20 Sep 2019 13:22]

If it's that heavy would you consider several bags of sharp sand to loosen it too?

I realise it can depend on the size of the ground, but I know I've seen the benefit on smaller patches when the soil has been heavy.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Which cover crop would be the best bet on 00:01 - Sep 21 with 1039 viewsSuffolktractor

Loads of muck and radishes will sort the job.
Which cover crop would be the best bet on 01:11 - Sep 21 with 1028 viewsSpruceMoose

Japanese Knotweed?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

Which cover crop would be the best bet on 06:49 - Sep 21 with 995 viewsBarcaBlue

I would cover with cardboard and then a thick layer of manure on top. That will rot down over winter, the worms will start dragging down the organic stuff and loosen the soil up a bit. You'll then have a decent level of good soil to plant into vome the Spring
Which cover crop would be the best bet on 07:13 - Sep 21 with 982 viewshampstead_blue

Which cover crop would be the best bet on 06:49 - Sep 21 by BarcaBlue

I would cover with cardboard and then a thick layer of manure on top. That will rot down over winter, the worms will start dragging down the organic stuff and loosen the soil up a bit. You'll then have a decent level of good soil to plant into vome the Spring

Agree.
We used to add piles of fallen tree leaves under the cardboard as well.
No need to dig.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Which cover crop would be the best bet on 07:31 - Sep 21 with 971 viewsfabian_illness

Pop down the supermarket, fill your trolley full of tinned stuff.
Return to allotment and bury the tins in neat rows.
Forget over the winter, be cold over there and most of the people are annoying anyway.
Return in the spring, every time you dig a bit you’ll return home with a meal.
Which cover crop would be the best bet on 07:54 - Sep 21 with 959 viewsBackToRussia

Which cover crop would be the best bet on 23:38 - Sep 20 by jeera

If it's that heavy would you consider several bags of sharp sand to loosen it too?

I realise it can depend on the size of the ground, but I know I've seen the benefit on smaller patches when the soil has been heavy.

Yeah definitely.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024