Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR 17:28 - Sep 22 with 3744 viewskizaitfc

Did anyone really want it for these tight calls?

Personally I wanted it to eradicate the ridiculous decisions referees were getting wrong, the dives, the penalties that should or shouldn't be, the red cards that should or shouldn't be.

If were are gonna go back 8 passes before a goal and pull up a millimetre offside then for me football and the entertainment factor has been lost.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

VAR on 17:32 - Sep 22 with 3217 viewsFtnfwest

Oh well I suppose it’s not correct after all to suggest it’s stopping celebrations. We’ve had 4 in this game already and only two goals!
VAR on 17:33 - Sep 22 with 3209 viewsstrikalite

Just have it like cricket, three appeals per side per game...
VAR on 17:39 - Sep 22 with 3189 viewsGerkensBeard

If scum had a player offside in the build up to one of their goals against us would you want that to be ruled out? Yes.
VAR on 17:41 - Sep 22 with 3184 viewsJ2BLUE

That should not be offside. The rule needs to be changed. If both legs are ahead of the last defender it should be offside. After almost every goal now "VAR is looking at a possible offside/foul in the build up/handball". It's killing the game. Stick to the really key areas and give the managers one challenge each half. If they see it then fair enough but VAR finding people a couple of centimetres offside surely isn't what we want?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

VAR on 17:44 - Sep 22 with 3177 viewsFtnfwest

VAR on 17:41 - Sep 22 by J2BLUE

That should not be offside. The rule needs to be changed. If both legs are ahead of the last defender it should be offside. After almost every goal now "VAR is looking at a possible offside/foul in the build up/handball". It's killing the game. Stick to the really key areas and give the managers one challenge each half. If they see it then fair enough but VAR finding people a couple of centimetres offside surely isn't what we want?

Certainly not when totally wrong decisions on free kicks in critical areas just go unchallenged
VAR on 17:47 - Sep 22 with 3164 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The simplest thing is you go with the on-field decision unless it is a clear and obvious error. Only if they are beyond the last man when it is passed, clearly no contact or definite and sufficient contact etc do you overturn it - the sort of thing a VAR official can spot immediately without having to go to the third or fourth replay before thinking, "oh maybe that's wrong".

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

VAR on 17:49 - Sep 22 with 3167 viewsTrequartista

It can't eradicate subjective decisions because you can't define clear and obvious. Even the objective decison of offside is unclear because players are moving as the ball is kicked.

Umpire's call works in cricket, I think if someone is a foot offside that would clear the margin of error. These ridiculous fingernail decisions have dominated the weekend.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

VAR on 17:49 - Sep 22 with 3159 viewsstrikalite

VAR on 17:41 - Sep 22 by J2BLUE

Fans won't be celebrating soon at this rate knowing in the back of their minds that VAR can quickly disallow it, is that what we all want?
Login to get fewer ads

VAR on 17:53 - Sep 22 with 3139 viewsRonFearonsHair

VAR on 17:39 - Sep 22 by GerkensBeard

If scum had a player offside in the build up to one of their goals against us would you want that to be ruled out? Yes.

If one of our players scored a winning goal against them with his hand that all the officials had missed would you want that to be ruled out..?
VAR on 18:19 - Sep 22 with 3099 viewsPinewoodblue

VAR on 17:53 - Sep 22 by RonFearonsHair

If one of our players scored a winning goal against them with his hand that all the officials had missed would you want that to be ruled out..?

Thought the idea was to correct clear and obvious errors. Not to nitpick.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

VAR on 18:43 - Sep 22 with 3064 viewsWickets

VAR on 17:44 - Sep 22 by Ftnfwest

Certainly not when totally wrong decisions on free kicks in critical areas just go unchallenged

Not sure just what the Chelsea defender was meant to do for the second Lpool goal looked to me he was just still, Lpool player runs into him and gets a free kick and the experts on the telly just dont mention it.
VAR on 22:54 - Sep 22 with 2945 viewsbournemouthblue

VAR on 17:33 - Sep 22 by strikalite

Just have it like cricket, three appeals per side per game...

I'm all for the reviews personally as you get with Cricket and Tennis

Do the Prem refs go over to the TV at the halfway line or have they replaced that with a video ref who makes the decision there and then? It seems an obvious way to speed up the process
[Post edited 22 Sep 2019 22:55]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

VAR on 23:03 - Sep 22 with 2930 viewsRadlett_blue

VAR on 17:49 - Sep 22 by Trequartista

It can't eradicate subjective decisions because you can't define clear and obvious. Even the objective decison of offside is unclear because players are moving as the ball is kicked.

Umpire's call works in cricket, I think if someone is a foot offside that would clear the margin of error. These ridiculous fingernail decisions have dominated the weekend.

Yes, but either a player is off-side or on-side. There is no middle ground. So either VAR is no longer used to review offside or you will have these hairsbreadth calls.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

VAR on 23:40 - Sep 22 with 2909 viewsNthsuffolkblue

VAR on 23:03 - Sep 22 by Radlett_blue

Yes, but either a player is off-side or on-side. There is no middle ground. So either VAR is no longer used to review offside or you will have these hairsbreadth calls.

The technology for it is not infallible. They are talking about judging whether a foot was ahead of the last defender when the ball is played using a camera angle that is not in line and a freeze frame that does not have the ball on the end of the passer's foot.

It should only over-rule when it is absolutely clear that the original decision was wrong. If the TV ref can't see that on the first replay, it should be allowed to continue. This would make VAR the exception to clear up howlers, instead of the ultimate authority on every tight call.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

VAR on 02:37 - Sep 23 with 2863 viewsBarneycurley

VAR on 17:47 - Sep 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

The simplest thing is you go with the on-field decision unless it is a clear and obvious error. Only if they are beyond the last man when it is passed, clearly no contact or definite and sufficient contact etc do you overturn it - the sort of thing a VAR official can spot immediately without having to go to the third or fourth replay before thinking, "oh maybe that's wrong".

Agree 100% why are we trying to make it even harder to score goals now? Did these people think that this was going to improve the game? No I'd suggest not.

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

VAR on 03:00 - Sep 23 with 2856 viewsTractorWood

VAR on 02:37 - Sep 23 by Barneycurley

Agree 100% why are we trying to make it even harder to score goals now? Did these people think that this was going to improve the game? No I'd suggest not.

How can you agree 100%? His proposed solution to a binary interpretation is a more judgmental approach. Language like clear and obvious and sufficient contact can't be implemented because they have no consistent frame of reference.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

VAR on 03:12 - Sep 23 with 2850 viewsBarneycurley

VAR on 03:00 - Sep 23 by TractorWood

How can you agree 100%? His proposed solution to a binary interpretation is a more judgmental approach. Language like clear and obvious and sufficient contact can't be implemented because they have no consistent frame of reference.

Surely being a referee means you are in that position to pass judgement And ensure the rules are adhered too. No?

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

VAR on 03:39 - Sep 23 with 2844 viewsTractorWood

VAR on 03:12 - Sep 23 by Barneycurley

Surely being a referee means you are in that position to pass judgement And ensure the rules are adhered too. No?

But at what point do you undermine the referee with VAR. Clear and obvious is meaningless. Surely someone who is offside in any situation is clear and obvious? There are only two states, offside or not offside.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

VAR on 08:32 - Sep 23 with 2746 viewsitfcjoe

VAR on 03:39 - Sep 23 by TractorWood

But at what point do you undermine the referee with VAR. Clear and obvious is meaningless. Surely someone who is offside in any situation is clear and obvious? There are only two states, offside or not offside.

The offside rule has served it's purpose and needs to be abolished - and will be within 10 years.

It's been diluted so far, it would actually make it easier to defend if it didn't exist - because you don't have to worry about what phase of play they are in, whether they are interfering, have they made a motion to the ball etc.

Offside was brought in to stop goalhanging and the game has moved on so far since then, the advantages gained on goals which are being ruled out by VAR are so miniscule that no possible advantage has actually been gained.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

VAR on 09:37 - Sep 23 with 2685 viewsSamWhiteUK

VAR on 08:32 - Sep 23 by itfcjoe

The offside rule has served it's purpose and needs to be abolished - and will be within 10 years.

It's been diluted so far, it would actually make it easier to defend if it didn't exist - because you don't have to worry about what phase of play they are in, whether they are interfering, have they made a motion to the ball etc.

Offside was brought in to stop goalhanging and the game has moved on so far since then, the advantages gained on goals which are being ruled out by VAR are so miniscule that no possible advantage has actually been gained.

As soon as the offside rule is abolished, players will goalhang
VAR on 09:44 - Sep 23 with 2675 viewsrickw

VAR on 23:03 - Sep 22 by Radlett_blue

It doesn't work because you can freeze the image several times over the half second the ball leaves the foot and when it's this close some images will show the attacker on-side by a cm and others will have him offside by a cm.

The issue is there is no such thing as level now. I believe the VAR officials should have 30 seconds to determine if it's offside or not, if they can't decide either way in this time it's called level and the game continues.

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

VAR on 09:46 - Sep 23 with 2671 viewsWickets

VAR on 23:40 - Sep 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

The technology for it is not infallible. They are talking about judging whether a foot was ahead of the last defender when the ball is played using a camera angle that is not in line and a freeze frame that does not have the ball on the end of the passer's foot.

It should only over-rule when it is absolutely clear that the original decision was wrong. If the TV ref can't see that on the first replay, it should be allowed to continue. This would make VAR the exception to clear up howlers, instead of the ultimate authority on every tight call.

And what happened to the clear daylight recommendation of a few years ago .
VAR on 13:43 - Sep 23 with 2616 viewsitfcjoe

VAR on 09:37 - Sep 23 by SamWhiteUK

As soon as the offside rule is abolished, players will goalhang

And what is the issue if it does? Means that team will be a man down in the main part of the game and teams are so athletic it would cover it relatively easily.

Even now if I play 7 a side, no one can get away with just goal hanging and whilst some teams will try it the tactis would just evolve

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

VAR on 14:38 - Sep 23 with 2586 viewsN2_Blue

VAR on 13:43 - Sep 23 by itfcjoe

And what is the issue if it does? Means that team will be a man down in the main part of the game and teams are so athletic it would cover it relatively easily.

Even now if I play 7 a side, no one can get away with just goal hanging and whilst some teams will try it the tactis would just evolve

Agree with this.
I'm not a hockey player but i know offside was removed from the rules a few years ago and friends i know who play it say it has improved the game.
I think football may well benefit too. There will still be an art to defending and if anything if might introduce new tactics to the game.
I think it may make things even more exciting tactically when a team has to chase a game in the dying minutes as sides will commit offensive players and counter attacks will be more common

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

VAR on 16:12 - Sep 23 with 2538 viewsBryanPlug

VAR on 14:38 - Sep 23 by N2_Blue

Agree with this.
I'm not a hockey player but i know offside was removed from the rules a few years ago and friends i know who play it say it has improved the game.
I think football may well benefit too. There will still be an art to defending and if anything if might introduce new tactics to the game.
I think it may make things even more exciting tactically when a team has to chase a game in the dying minutes as sides will commit offensive players and counter attacks will be more common

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024