Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... 22:14 - Sep 22 with 7253 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

......Private Schools.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 22:20 - Sep 22 with 4019 viewsStokieBlue

The thing is, as always, Labour have raised some very good points, especially around the charitable status of private schools which should be addressed.

They then go too far and say that the assets of the schools should be "appropriated". That is essentially seizing private property, something a lot of Labour leaning people said wouldn't happen. Why would they stop at schools or 10% of privately owned companies? It's literally taking a hammer to the concept of private property and assets - something which will put the government in the courts for probably their entire term if they win.

The run-up to their conference has raised some very good points and some policies which could definitely be beneficial - I just feel they always have to take it that one step to far based on ideology rather than realism and ultimately that is self-defeating as it means the reasonable stuff doesn't get a chance to be implemented.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49786645

SB
[Post edited 22 Sep 2019 22:21]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 22:32 - Sep 22 with 3993 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 22:20 - Sep 22 by StokieBlue

The thing is, as always, Labour have raised some very good points, especially around the charitable status of private schools which should be addressed.

They then go too far and say that the assets of the schools should be "appropriated". That is essentially seizing private property, something a lot of Labour leaning people said wouldn't happen. Why would they stop at schools or 10% of privately owned companies? It's literally taking a hammer to the concept of private property and assets - something which will put the government in the courts for probably their entire term if they win.

The run-up to their conference has raised some very good points and some policies which could definitely be beneficial - I just feel they always have to take it that one step to far based on ideology rather than realism and ultimately that is self-defeating as it means the reasonable stuff doesn't get a chance to be implemented.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49786645

SB
[Post edited 22 Sep 2019 22:21]

I guess it depends how far back you go with the 'siezing.'

https://www.fff.org/explore-freedom/article/enclosure-acts-industrial-revolution
[Post edited 22 Sep 2019 22:33]

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 22:38 - Sep 22 with 3976 viewsStokieBlue

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 22:32 - Sep 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

I guess it depends how far back you go with the 'siezing.'

https://www.fff.org/explore-freedom/article/enclosure-acts-industrial-revolution
[Post edited 22 Sep 2019 22:33]

Are we to base all modern decisions based on things that happened 300 years ago?

I believe it's been a while since we had a war over Calais in that case - better get prepared.

SB

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 22:49 - Sep 22 with 3963 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 22:38 - Sep 22 by StokieBlue

Are we to base all modern decisions based on things that happened 300 years ago?

I believe it's been a while since we had a war over Calais in that case - better get prepared.

SB

Well I guess we could pretend that all the wealth of those that send their kids to private schools comes from honest graft and acts of selfless sacrifice by a God blessed gifted class.

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 22:58 - Sep 22 with 3944 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I would have thought it is a bit like private healthcare. If the companies running it are paying tax and the individuals benefitting from it are willing to pay for it, surely it actually reduces government expenditure whilst bringing in income.

I agree the charitable status is questionable and allows donations that circumvent tax but I assume fees incur tax.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:00 - Sep 22 with 3940 viewsStokieBlue

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 22:49 - Sep 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

Well I guess we could pretend that all the wealth of those that send their kids to private schools comes from honest graft and acts of selfless sacrifice by a God blessed gifted class.

None of that has anything to do with my responses in this thread and doesn't really have anything to do with Labour's policy either - it's more about you slipping your ideology into the discussion.

That point does however relate quite nicely to my first post.

SB

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:14 - Sep 22 with 3922 viewssparks

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 22:49 - Sep 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

Or we could blindly assume that anyone succesul has got there through foul means...

People are not born with equal capabilities.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:27 - Sep 22 with 3903 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:14 - Sep 22 by sparks

Or we could blindly assume that anyone succesul has got there through foul means...

People are not born with equal capabilities.

Good Slave!

Stick one of Rees Mogg's sproggs in to a Glasgow tennament and let's see how capable they turn out.

Login to get fewer ads

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:28 - Sep 22 with 3900 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:00 - Sep 22 by StokieBlue

None of that has anything to do with my responses in this thread and doesn't really have anything to do with Labour's policy either - it's more about you slipping your ideology into the discussion.

That point does however relate quite nicely to my first post.

SB

There's no ideology like the ideology of maintaining the status quo heh Stokie.

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:38 - Sep 22 with 3896 viewsbaxterbasics

Well that’ll be an extra 600,000 kids that need an education paid for by the state. A bunch of staff fired. A lot of capital leaving the country no doubt. All for “equality”.

Then it will be private hospitals.

Then private homes.

This is where this ideology leads.

Sinister, repressive and authoritarian.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:44 - Sep 22 with 3890 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:38 - Sep 22 by baxterbasics

Well that’ll be an extra 600,000 kids that need an education paid for by the state. A bunch of staff fired. A lot of capital leaving the country no doubt. All for “equality”.

Then private homes.

Your a fire starter, twisted fire starter.....Imagine actually living in a meritocracy, heavens forbid.

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:47 - Sep 22 with 3882 viewsRyorry

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:44 - Sep 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

Your a fire starter, twisted fire starter.....Imagine actually living in a meritocracy, heavens forbid.

You're.

Tsk, comprehensive schools eh

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:53 - Sep 22 with 3874 viewsbaxterbasics

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:44 - Sep 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

You think Corbyn and co are looking to establish a meritocracy? Lol.

zip

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:55 - Sep 22 with 3869 viewsjeera

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:47 - Sep 22 by Ryorry

You're.

Tsk, comprehensive schools eh

Ms Rayner, the shadow education secretary:

""Myself and John McDonnell will set out further steps..."

Myself and...

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:57 - Sep 22 with 3865 viewsfactual_blue

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:38 - Sep 22 by baxterbasics

Then private homes.

Do you approve of Eton's VAT exemption?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:58 - Sep 22 with 3864 viewsbaxterbasics

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:55 - Sep 22 by jeera

Myself and...

Like most of the Labour front bench, thick as a plank. Certainly aren’t many there on merit.

zip

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:59 - Sep 22 with 3865 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:53 - Sep 22 by baxterbasics

You think Corbyn and co are looking to establish a meritocracy? Lol.

"I'm a leave voter & Tory party member....."

You stick with Boris slave boy cos he clearly is.....Lol!

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 00:00 - Sep 23 with 3861 viewsbaxterbasics

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:57 - Sep 22 by factual_blue

Now that’s a different question.

zip

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 00:01 - Sep 23 with 3859 viewsjeera

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:58 - Sep 22 by baxterbasics

Like most of the Labour front bench, thick as a plank. Certainly aren’t many there on merit.

I'm more concerned with her particular appointment rather than attacking the lot to be honest.

But yes, an education secretary should be able to apply basic language skills.

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 00:01 - Sep 23 with 3857 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:55 - Sep 22 by jeera

Myself and...

She doesn't come second to any man you evil patriarch.

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 00:05 - Sep 23 with 3852 viewsjeera

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 00:01 - Sep 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

She doesn't come second to any man you evil patriarch.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 00:06 - Sep 23 with 3853 viewsfactual_blue

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 00:00 - Sep 23 by baxterbasics

Now that’s a different question.

So you don't.

Excellent.

And, while we're at it, let's put an addition (say 100%) on the fees payable directly to the public purse to support state education.

Can't see anything wrong with that.

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 00:07 - Sep 23 with 3850 viewsfactual_blue

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:59 - Sep 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

"I'm a leave voter & Tory party member....."

You stick with Boris slave boy cos he clearly is.....Lol!

I tend to think of people in the tory party as 'members'.

All stupid people are tories.

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 03:12 - Sep 23 with 3809 viewsTractorWood

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 23:57 - Sep 22 by factual_blue

I agree with SB, questioning their preferential tax treatment and lack of integration in communities is totally fair. However, Labour as always, get distracted by ideological escapism without thinking about the obvious ramifications.

At a time where the government is a shambles with a single issue dominating every interaction in life, they've still not actually got a solid position on Brexit. They have no creditability and to most voters a McDonnell/Corbyn government would be a worse outcome than a no deal Brexit.

I seriously think the Lib Dems might gain some real ground at the next election as they will revoke without further referenda etc.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 06:30 - Sep 23 with 3759 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour an existential threat to...... on 03:12 - Sep 23 by TractorWood

I agree with SB, questioning their preferential tax treatment and lack of integration in communities is totally fair. However, Labour as always, get distracted by ideological escapism without thinking about the obvious ramifications.

At a time where the government is a shambles with a single issue dominating every interaction in life, they've still not actually got a solid position on Brexit. They have no creditability and to most voters a McDonnell/Corbyn government would be a worse outcome than a no deal Brexit.

I seriously think the Lib Dems might gain some real ground at the next election as they will revoke without further referenda etc.

What are the obvious ramifications of wanting to create a well funded, well taught, education system for all along say a Swedish model?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Sweden

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024