Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff 00:04 - Sep 23 with 31455 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

No more ‘best male’ or ‘best female’ award. Soon to be banished.

https://t.co/aGanLyjTLi
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 0:05]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 00:22 - Sep 23 with 8458 viewsSpruceMoose

When you think about it, isn't it weird to separate music awards into gender categories though? I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts on why gender is an important consideration in the recognition of musical ability.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 0:25]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 00:27 - Sep 23 with 8437 viewsJ2BLUE

Meh.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 00:36 - Sep 23 with 8415 viewsLankHenners

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 00:22 - Sep 23 by SpruceMoose

When you think about it, isn't it weird to separate music awards into gender categories though? I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts on why gender is an important consideration in the recognition of musical ability.

And aren’t the other awards non gender specific anyway? So hardly ‘breaking’ the Brits, just giving them a kick up the @rse to judge the solo artists the same way as albums etc. If people still give a sh1t about the Brits.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 00:52 - Sep 23 with 8390 viewsSpruceMoose

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 00:36 - Sep 23 by LankHenners

And aren’t the other awards non gender specific anyway? So hardly ‘breaking’ the Brits, just giving them a kick up the @rse to judge the solo artists the same way as albums etc. If people still give a sh1t about the Brits.

I suspect that the people upset most about this will probably have some other, mysterious axe to grind...

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 00:56 - Sep 23 with 8389 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 00:52 - Sep 23 by SpruceMoose

I suspect that the people upset most about this will probably have some other, mysterious axe to grind...

My thoughts on his ‘non-gender’ are known on here.

I think it’s nonsense to expect people to refer to a singular person as ‘they’.

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 01:15 - Sep 23 with 8361 viewsSpruceMoose

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 00:56 - Sep 23 by The_Romford_Blue

And I think that makes you sound intolerant at worst, sheltered at best. Shrug.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 4:41]

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 02:35 - Sep 23 with 8290 viewsBarneycurley

Look forward to non gender sports too. Open Tennis tournaments where men and women compete EQUALLY. Should be interesting

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 02:38 - Sep 23 with 8286 viewsSpruceMoose

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 02:35 - Sep 23 by Barneycurley

Look forward to non gender sports too. Open Tennis tournaments where men and women compete EQUALLY. Should be interesting

How is that relevant here? What does the physicality of sport have have to do with the creation of music?

Anyway, clearly you've never seen a mixed doubles match...
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 2:41]

Login to get fewer ads

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 02:43 - Sep 23 with 8272 viewsBarneycurley

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 02:38 - Sep 23 by SpruceMoose

How is that relevant here? What does the physicality of sport have have to do with the creation of music?

Anyway, clearly you've never seen a mixed doubles match...
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 2:41]

Just wondering where the gender debate starts and finishes that's all?

Is there a gender police or is it self managed by people like Smith?

If Serena as example feels she can compete with men should she come out and say it and if that's the case does her voice mean everyone else is expected to fall in line?

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 03:11 - Sep 23 with 8254 viewsSpruceMoose

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 02:43 - Sep 23 by Barneycurley

Just wondering where the gender debate starts and finishes that's all?

Is there a gender police or is it self managed by people like Smith?

If Serena as example feels she can compete with men should she come out and say it and if that's the case does her voice mean everyone else is expected to fall in line?

Of course there isn't a gender police. I'd like to think people can self police their own respectfullness and politeness when informed that a person would like to be referred to in a certain way, especially when it comes at no cost to them. If someone asks you to refer to them as 'x' and you persist in calling them 'y' then there's no way you aren't the arsehole of that situation.

Sport is a different area to music because obviously physicality comes into the equation. There's no point denying that because of the realities of physical biology. Bodies are different to brains though. You can have a female body and identify as something other than female, and within sport that's an evolving situation, which is something we will need to tackle because it isn't going away. That's a separate issue though to affording someone the simple respect of allowing them to define their own identity and how they wish to be addressed in day to day life without simply dismissing it as 'nonsense'.

I imagine most people would struggle to look a person in their eyes and deliberately call them a different pronoun than the one they've been asked to use, and rightly so.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 3:27]

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 07:13 - Sep 23 with 8041 viewsFtnfwest

Has advantages I suppose. They can choose whatever toilet they want to use.
Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 07:42 - Sep 23 with 7950 viewsSimonds92

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 01:15 - Sep 23 by SpruceMoose

See i dont think so, the term 'they' confuses me as well. I'm not saying im anti it but could there not be different terminology used to mean the same thing but makes more sense when you put it in to sentences?
Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 07:44 - Sep 23 with 7940 viewsSwailsey

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 00:56 - Sep 23 by The_Romford_Blue

EDIT: Not worth it.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 7:46]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 07:48 - Sep 23 with 7914 viewshaynes_toe1

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 01:15 - Sep 23 by SpruceMoose

Sam Smith's "I have no gender" rubbish is just that, rubbish. It's attention seeking or perhaps even a cry for help. Instead of pandering and everyone pretending to be nice about it I can't help but feel it'd be more beneficial for someone to identify if he has a serious psychological problem.
Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 07:50 - Sep 23 with 7903 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 07:42 - Sep 23 by Simonds92

See i dont think so, the term 'they' confuses me as well. I'm not saying im anti it but could there not be different terminology used to mean the same thing but makes more sense when you put it in to sentences?

I find the whole thing baffling. I’ve seen he’s said he’s neither a man nor a woman in his mind. Ok. But then he sometimes feels like both but never one or the other. So would now like to be they/them. Which is plural. But for one person.

The Brits will be the first of many who pander to this type of thing. Female TV characters will be played by male actors, women and men’s sport will be culled, award shows for men and women will now be for everyone. Where does it stop eventually?

The Brits making this decision on the back of one person refusing to be known as a male (or even as a female) is a dangerous game to start.

Genuienly not looking for a row with anyone here but more a discussion on how it can be seen as a healthy progressive move for society.

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 07:52 - Sep 23 with 7893 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 07:44 - Sep 23 by Swailsey

EDIT: Not worth it.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 7:46]

I don’t know what you said before the edit.

I know we disagree on this.

I’m not looking for an argument. I think it’s a big enough topic that should be debated on a public forum like TWTD though. Without the need for any insults.

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 07:58 - Sep 23 with 7859 viewsSwailsey

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 07:52 - Sep 23 by The_Romford_Blue

I don’t know what you said before the edit.

I know we disagree on this.

I’m not looking for an argument. I think it’s a big enough topic that should be debated on a public forum like TWTD though. Without the need for any insults.

Not getting into this.

It has no impact on your life how people choose to identify.

You’d do best to stay away from things you clearly have no understanding of.

That’s all.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 8:00]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 08:01 - Sep 23 with 7844 viewssparks

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 00:22 - Sep 23 by SpruceMoose

Not really. Broadly speaking male and female voices are quite different.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 08:09 - Sep 23 with 7800 viewsBarneycurley

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 08:01 - Sep 23 by sparks

Not really. Broadly speaking male and female voices are quite different.

Agree and equally is having a male and female category so demeaning to both genders? Of course it's fooking not. It's a non issue that tools like SS want to raise

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 08:10 - Sep 23 with 7789 viewsMJallday

Dunno how you’d do it

Best them, they or It?

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 08:14 - Sep 23 with 7772 viewsSitfcB

FFS.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 08:14 - Sep 23 with 7772 viewsitfcjoe

Funny really that these categories would no doubt be like this to help push on and recognise women in the industry, because most awards would go to men unless they split it like they have done.

And now someone who has grown up as a white male with all the privilege that that entails sees that brought to an end in the Brits.

Whose rights are more important - women or trans? Because in situations like this it can't be both.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 09:19 - Sep 23 with 7670 viewsflimflam

Look forward to seeing Ed Sheeran win a MOBO

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 09:37 - Sep 23 with 7621 viewscaught-in-limbo

It's not just about musical ability though, is it? There's a difference in lyrics too especially with respect to how men and women express their emotions (usually love) in words.

EDIT:

Additionally, I'm not sure that the awards are given to different genders, but actually different sexes. Sam Smith can say he's non-gender all day long, but that won't change the fact that he is male.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 10:02]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Sam Smith has broken the Brits with his non-gender stuff on 09:43 - Sep 23 with 7595 viewsBlue_Order

The Brits has been shïte for years anyway.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024