Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So a 178-year-old business goes bust 08:43 - Sep 23 with 4312 viewsGuthrum

Originating back in the early Victorian era, the legacy of a man who pretty much founded modern tourism and the package holiday.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 09:16 - Sep 23 with 2247 viewsBluefish

Travel agents aren't needed in the modern world. Times have changed, I am more sad to see local family butchers shops etc go out of business. At least TC had the resources to be able to try and evolve to meet the needs of modern society.

As some bell will say it, yes it obviously is sad that lots of people will be out of work.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:07 - Sep 23 with 2179 viewsEdmundo

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 09:16 - Sep 23 by Bluefish

Travel agents aren't needed in the modern world. Times have changed, I am more sad to see local family butchers shops etc go out of business. At least TC had the resources to be able to try and evolve to meet the needs of modern society.

As some bell will say it, yes it obviously is sad that lots of people will be out of work.

Sad to see this, but other UK travel companies will benefit, and offer a much more 21st Century experience, such as Jet2.
Expect to see some more "household names" go the wall with Brexit kicking in: Debenhams, House of Fraser (aka Mike Ashley's newest folly), even Next could go.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:14 - Sep 23 with 2147 viewschicoazul

Many things that aren't needed are still important. The TWTD message board isn't needed. Lots and lots of people still like to walk into a shop and buy a holiday a watch a CD or anything else because they value a business that works face to face.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:16 - Sep 23 with 2139 viewsSwansea_Blue

I guess they're needed for people who like to book their trips through a travel agent

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:17 - Sep 23 with 2127 viewsBluefish

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:14 - Sep 23 by chicoazul

Many things that aren't needed are still important. The TWTD message board isn't needed. Lots and lots of people still like to walk into a shop and buy a holiday a watch a CD or anything else because they value a business that works face to face.

Not sure that is right. The message board is here because it fits in with modern day life, debate, news and connectivity. The fanzine isn't here because it didn't. People can still book a holiday face to face if they want but there isn't room for a TA that wasn't evolving, it is a shrinking market of people still using an agent and there will be smaller sustainable brokers for those people while they remain or other travel agents.

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:21 - Sep 23 with 2116 viewschicoazul

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:17 - Sep 23 by Bluefish

Not sure that is right. The message board is here because it fits in with modern day life, debate, news and connectivity. The fanzine isn't here because it didn't. People can still book a holiday face to face if they want but there isn't room for a TA that wasn't evolving, it is a shrinking market of people still using an agent and there will be smaller sustainable brokers for those people while they remain or other travel agents.

So travel agents are, in fact, needed? At least by many people?

I have no idea specifically about TCook but my guess is, their problems ultimately are about the same thing that is putting many many people out of work on the high street.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:22 - Sep 23 with 2106 viewsBluefish

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:21 - Sep 23 by chicoazul

So travel agents are, in fact, needed? At least by many people?

I have no idea specifically about TCook but my guess is, their problems ultimately are about the same thing that is putting many many people out of work on the high street.

I have no idea what it is that you are trying to argue.

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:22 - Sep 23 with 2110 viewswkj

I am a firm believer that a business of 100 years should have no special advantage over a business 5 years, provided it is functioning responsibly and has use to the world. Thomas Cook offered very little, and a bailout would have taken the piste in my honest opinion.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Login to get fewer ads

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:23 - Sep 23 with 2097 viewschicoazul

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:22 - Sep 23 by Bluefish

I have no idea what it is that you are trying to argue.

I dont agree that "travel agents aren't needed in the modern world".

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:24 - Sep 23 with 2099 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Was going to happen sooner or later. Jet2 have eaten into that market hugely, coupled with the ongoing rise of low-cost airlines like Ryanair and EasyJet and Expedia-type holidays it was inevitable that one of the big boys would lose out. TC simply didn’t adapt well enough, unfortunately

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:25 - Sep 23 with 2090 viewshomer_123

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:23 - Sep 23 by chicoazul

I'd go along wit that Chico - there is clearly still a place for them (for lots of valid reasons).

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:26 - Sep 23 with 2080 viewsBluefish

But why does that change my point that TC aren't needed amongst the others in a shrinking market and an out of date model?

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:26 - Sep 23 with 2078 viewsWD19

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:07 - Sep 23 by Edmundo

Sad to see this, but other UK travel companies will benefit, and offer a much more 21st Century experience, such as Jet2.
Expect to see some more "household names" go the wall with Brexit kicking in: Debenhams, House of Fraser (aka Mike Ashley's newest folly), even Next could go.

Isn't Jet2 just a sh*tter Thomas Cook? Whats the big attraction there?
So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:27 - Sep 23 with 2077 viewswkj

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:25 - Sep 23 by homer_123

I'd go along wit that Chico - there is clearly still a place for them (for lots of valid reasons).

I am friends with a small independent travel agent that does so much more than Thomas Cook did for people, Travel agents may well be needed, but fat cat champagne drinkers hiding behind the illusion of a travel agency are not.

Crybaby

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:27 - Sep 23 with 2073 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Pretty obvious this - lots of people still use them, just less than 20 years ago

That said I can understand why travel agents need so many high street shops - TUI for example have 2 in Ipswich literally 1 minute from one another. How is that viable?

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:28 - Sep 23 with 2069 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:26 - Sep 23 by WD19

Isn't Jet2 just a sh*tter Thomas Cook? Whats the big attraction there?

It’s cheap

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:28 - Sep 23 with 2067 viewsSwansea_Blue

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:17 - Sep 23 by Bluefish

Industry reports recently seem to suggest the market for package/agent holidays has increased since pre-financial crisis and is fairly stable currently. It's not an exhaustive trawl, but there seems to be a very significant industry there with no sign of a shrinking market, e.g:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/a-history-of-package-holida
https://www.abta.com/sites/default/files/2018-10/Holiday%20Habits%20Report%20201

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:29 - Sep 23 with 2058 viewswkj

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:28 - Sep 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It’s cheap

People trying to do foreign countries on the cheap should just not bother and do a luxury Hemsby get away instead.

Crybaby

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:29 - Sep 23 with 2062 viewsGuthrum

The fact that 150,000 people are currently on Thomas Cook holidays abroad (outside of school holiday peak time), suggests there is still a major demand for their services.

Suspect it is another one of those cases where poor business practice and ill-considered diversification are more of an issue than the basic business model being wrong.

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:31 - Sep 23 with 2044 viewswkj

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:29 - Sep 23 by Guthrum

The fact that 150,000 people are currently on Thomas Cook holidays abroad (outside of school holiday peak time), suggests there is still a major demand for their services.

Suspect it is another one of those cases where poor business practice and ill-considered diversification are more of an issue than the basic business model being wrong.

Pretty much how i see it. Another case where board members will slot in the jigsaw puzzle of another business, while those who made their (The executive's) lives luxurious face DWP hell while jobseeking.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 10:32]

Crybaby

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:31 - Sep 23 with 2044 viewsGuthrum

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:27 - Sep 23 by wkj

I am friends with a small independent travel agent that does so much more than Thomas Cook did for people, Travel agents may well be needed, but fat cat champagne drinkers hiding behind the illusion of a travel agency are not.

I have friends who run one like that, too. They are thriving, if concerned about what Brexit will do to their admin load and costs.

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:33 - Sep 23 with 2033 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:29 - Sep 23 by wkj

People trying to do foreign countries on the cheap should just not bother and do a luxury Hemsby get away instead.

A lot of people are into a no-frills, week break in the sun. Not my bag personally but undoubtedly a market

That said that isn’t solely what Jet2 do by any stretch

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:33 - Sep 23 with 2032 viewswkj

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:31 - Sep 23 by Guthrum

I have friends who run one like that, too. They are thriving, if concerned about what Brexit will do to their admin load and costs.

Aiye, that is true, but they have been spending a lot of time on "Beautiful Britain" packages in anticipation of buffering the situation. We shall see what happens, but likewsie the little fish i speak of is thriving too.

Crybaby

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:35 - Sep 23 with 2010 viewswkj

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:33 - Sep 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

A lot of people are into a no-frills, week break in the sun. Not my bag personally but undoubtedly a market

That said that isn’t solely what Jet2 do by any stretch

Given how the change in our weather has been recently (climate change is a myth) a cheap week in the sun for me occurred in my garden with a number of bottles of wine.

Crybaby

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:55 - Sep 23 with 1964 viewsBluefish

So a 178-year-old business goes bust on 10:29 - Sep 23 by Guthrum

Are those 150k on holidays booked as a package through TC or could many be flight only that they did on the internet?

Is 150k enough to justify the costs of their model?
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 10:55]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024