Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom 13:37 - Sep 23 with 10283 viewshampstead_blue

Labour want to step in and bail out Thomas Cook to the tune of £250m.
Using that as a case study, any private company will just use them as 'lender of last resort'. The state will underwrite everything.....who is going to pay? Anyone who earns a decent wage.....

Labour want to appropriate private school assets and distribute to the other schools.
Join in for the great Labour race to the bottom.........

and the number of scary things under the bed gets bigger and bigger.

Oh, no point in posting 'and the tories are worse'......try and offer a reasoned and sensible argument for the above.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:39 - Sep 23 with 2367 viewsfooters

Why are banks excepted from this rule, then?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:41 - Sep 23 with 2359 viewsnoggin

What is the cost to the tax payer to get tourists home now? Serious question that I don't know the answer to.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:42 - Sep 23 with 2344 viewsfooters

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:41 - Sep 23 by noggin

What is the cost to the tax payer to get tourists home now? Serious question that I don't know the answer to.

Think it was ~£600m.

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:44 - Sep 23 with 2335 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

£250m for the tax payer?

How many tax payers? 40 million?

£6.25 each basically. If they were to apply that over a year it's 52p a month each.

I appreciate £250m is a lot of money but when you consider the billion billion billions that are raised from tax, there is an argument that situations like this, that will effect millions of tax payers could be considered.

I'd imagine if you'd just spent £2,000 on a holiday and were about to lose it you'd be massively in favour.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:47 - Sep 23 with 2316 viewsblueislander

When you are in opposition, it is easy to support rescuing failed companies, because that is likely to win votes. Being in government and having to make a solid case for spending public money is much more difficult. The banks and shareholders wouldn’t stump up the cash because it wasn’t a solution that would last for long, I would say that it was the right decision. Of course Labour might think that nationalizing Thomas Cook is the answer.
Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:48 - Sep 23 with 2309 viewsElderGrizzly

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:44 - Sep 23 by WarkTheWarkITFC

£250m for the tax payer?

£6.25 each basically. If they were to apply that over a year it's 52p a month each.

I appreciate £250m is a lot of money but when you consider the billion billion billions that are raised from tax, there is an argument that situations like this, that will effect millions of tax payers could be considered.

I'd imagine if you'd just spent £2,000 on a holiday and were about to lose it you'd be massively in favour.

They needed £250m to get through the next 3 weeks.

They needed £1.15bn extra cash to get through the next 12 months and had £1.7bn of debt already on top

Their business was broken and i support the call for criminal proceedings against those in charge of companies that find themselves in this position
Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:48 - Sep 23 with 2304 viewsfooters

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:47 - Sep 23 by blueislander

When you are in opposition, it is easy to support rescuing failed companies, because that is likely to win votes. Being in government and having to make a solid case for spending public money is much more difficult. The banks and shareholders wouldn’t stump up the cash because it wasn’t a solution that would last for long, I would say that it was the right decision. Of course Labour might think that nationalizing Thomas Cook is the answer.

Just like the Tories part-did with the banks. Funny old world, innit. One rule for some and another for everyone else.

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:50 - Sep 23 with 2294 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:44 - Sep 23 by WarkTheWarkITFC

£250m for the tax payer?

£250m for what though - to get Thomas Cook through another 6 months before more is required?

Hence why any suggestion that it would have been cheaper to prop TC up rather than repatriate customers completely falls over

There will of course be extreme examples but the vast majority of customers have avenues to get their money back, and at the risk of being blunt those that can’t haven’t really lost money as much as lost a holiday

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:51 - Sep 23 with 2293 viewsGuthrum

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:39 - Sep 23 by footers

Why are banks excepted from this rule, then?

Because, unlike travel agents but similar to utilities, they are essentials for the functioning of everyday life. If High Street banks go under, then nobody can pay or be paid (can't even get the cash out to run things that way). Thus there was little choice but to prop them up.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:51 - Sep 23 with 2286 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:48 - Sep 23 by footers

Just like the Tories part-did with the banks. Funny old world, innit. One rule for some and another for everyone else.

Completely different situation, as I expect you well know

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:56 - Sep 23 with 2252 viewsBrixtonBlue

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:51 - Sep 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Yeah the Tories are best mates with a lot of the bankers.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:58 - Sep 23 with 2238 viewsDarth_Koont

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:51 - Sep 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It's not completely different though is it? They're just different degrees of what is important for society to function. And that's also reflected by the massive difference in scale from hundreds of billions to prop up the banks and hundreds of millions here.

Pronouns: He/Him

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:58 - Sep 23 with 2232 viewsblueislander

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:56 - Sep 23 by BrixtonBlue

A lot of thought went into that post Dolly.
Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:58 - Sep 23 with 2230 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:56 - Sep 23 by BrixtonBlue

Gordon Brown was Prime Minister when the banks were bailed out

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 14:00 - Sep 23 with 2223 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:58 - Sep 23 by Darth_Koont

It's not completely different though is it? They're just different degrees of what is important for society to function. And that's also reflected by the massive difference in scale from hundreds of billions to prop up the banks and hundreds of millions here.

The collapse of the banking system could have caused millions of people to lose their savings etc, along with the entire collapse of the economy

Thomas Cook collapsing means some people have lost holidays

They’re not remotely comparable situations, quite obviously

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 14:00 - Sep 23 with 2225 viewsStokieBlue

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:48 - Sep 23 by footers

Whilst it's a reasonable point the answer is that one carries huge systematic risk and one doesn't.

That doesn't make it palatable for many people of course.

SB
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 14:01]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 14:03 - Sep 23 with 2200 viewsbrazil1982

Labour can say / promise what they want currently.

Would they have the same thoughts on saving Jamie Oliver's chain of restaurants?
Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 14:04 - Sep 23 with 2197 viewsBrixtonBlue

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 14:00 - Sep 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The collapse of the banking system could have caused millions of people to lose their savings etc, along with the entire collapse of the economy

Thomas Cook collapsing means some people have lost holidays

They’re not remotely comparable situations, quite obviously

You seem to have forgotten about the thousands of TC employees now out of a job.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 14:05 - Sep 23 with 2189 viewsfooters

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 14:00 - Sep 23 by StokieBlue

Whilst it's a reasonable point the answer is that one carries huge systematic risk and one doesn't.

That doesn't make it palatable for many people of course.

SB
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 14:01]

As others have said, and I don't mean I completely support the idea, but the cost to the taxpayer of keeping TC going versus the banks is hugely different.

Of course there would have been massive problems had all the banks gone out of business, but it wasn't all banks and the funds given weren't just used to ensure people could withdraw cash, etc.

Just think there's a disparity with some reactions to possible government interventions in the private sector. Quite interesting.

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 14:09 - Sep 23 with 2175 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 14:04 - Sep 23 by BrixtonBlue

You seem to have forgotten about the thousands of TC employees now out of a job.

Fair point - I posted that quite flippantly and clearly there are some other impacts. Of course, that also applied to banks with considerably more employees involved

There is still quite obviously a far more significant impact to major high street banks collapsing than a holiday provider

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 14:09 - Sep 23 with 2174 viewsblueislander

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 14:05 - Sep 23 by footers

As others have said, and I don't mean I completely support the idea, but the cost to the taxpayer of keeping TC going versus the banks is hugely different.

Of course there would have been massive problems had all the banks gone out of business, but it wasn't all banks and the funds given weren't just used to ensure people could withdraw cash, etc.

Just think there's a disparity with some reactions to possible government interventions in the private sector. Quite interesting.

But the £250 million would not have saved Thomas Cook, merely would have delayed the inevitable.
Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 14:11 - Sep 23 with 2171 viewsitfcjoe

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 13:50 - Sep 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

£250m for what though - to get Thomas Cook through another 6 months before more is required?

Hence why any suggestion that it would have been cheaper to prop TC up rather than repatriate customers completely falls over

There will of course be extreme examples but the vast majority of customers have avenues to get their money back, and at the risk of being blunt those that can’t haven’t really lost money as much as lost a holiday

Caught something on the Wireless earlier saying Germany had a simlar problem with a travel company - Merkel chucked them €150m so that they could collapse in a more managed way and not leave people stranded around the globe, or turning up at the airport to see holiday cancelled.

If it is going to cost ~£600m to repatriate everyone from around the world then some form of payment to stop this cliff edge may not have been the worst idea or way of dealing with it.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 14:19 - Sep 23 with 2134 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 14:11 - Sep 23 by itfcjoe

Caught something on the Wireless earlier saying Germany had a simlar problem with a travel company - Merkel chucked them €150m so that they could collapse in a more managed way and not leave people stranded around the globe, or turning up at the airport to see holiday cancelled.

If it is going to cost ~£600m to repatriate everyone from around the world then some form of payment to stop this cliff edge may not have been the worst idea or way of dealing with it.

Haven’t seen that so no idea on the specifics - would be interested to know the scale and what the actual final bill was (eg. Was that the total cost or did that just keep them trading a bit longer but still some people to be repatriated)?

There probably is some debate over the most cost effective action - and to be honest I don’t think anyone who isn’t close to the situation could possibly claim to know specifics. However believe the suggestion here is that the Government should have saved them, which sounds completely unrealistic IMO

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 14:28 - Sep 23 with 2115 viewslowhouseblue

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 14:11 - Sep 23 by itfcjoe

where does £600m come from? the only figure I have seen is £100m.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 14:29 - Sep 23 with 2109 viewsfooters

Free tickets for the great Labour race to the bottom on 14:28 - Sep 23 by lowhouseblue

where does £600m come from? the only figure I have seen is £100m.

https://www.ft.com/content/a43857fc-dd2e-11e9-b112-9624ec9edc59

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024