Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do counter-terrorism police really have "no plan" for far right groups? 14:08 - Sep 23 with 1423 viewsSteve_M

One would hope this comment is slightly out of context but...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/terror-attack-far-right-generati

[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 14:08]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Do counter-terrorism police really have on 14:15 - Sep 23 with 1415 viewsBlueBadger

Be fair, it's pretty much impossible for them to combat far-right groups given that we're currently being governed by one.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 14:39]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Do counter-terrorism police really have "no plan" for far right groups? on 14:26 - Sep 23 with 1394 viewsGuthrum

Think he means because it's not a proscribed group, nor have they yet done anything illegal. Thus not falling within Counter-Terror Police's remit.

I'm pretty sure if that changed, there would be procedures ready (as with National Action).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Do counter-terrorism police really have "no plan" for far right groups? on 15:43 - Sep 23 with 1364 viewsOldsmoker

In the 60's onwards we had the Irish Terrorists - IRA,UDA,UDF etc.
We also had CND,Trade unionists, Greenpeace, Greenham common, Occupy (2008) and the Tree huggers (Swampy et al). Files were kept on all these groups and in some cases the police planted spies amongst them.
The tactics today will be similar. They might not be terrorists but the police know who they are and have information on them.

The Animal Rights protestors went from releasing caged animals into the wild to planting bombs in cars. That's when they crossed the line. Today, most of what they campaigned for is part of EU/UK Animal Welfare laws.
That is because academics, MP's etc got "woke" to animal cruelty and made their cause mainstream.
So that's how the far right could become "normal" as more celebrities, MP's etc. think that their views are OK.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Do counter-terrorism police really have "no plan" for far right groups? on 17:17 - Sep 23 with 1319 viewsfactual_blue

Until they break the law, the police won't have anything to do with them.

Probably 15-20% of generation identity's members, however, are likely to MI5 officers or agents.

*taps side of nose.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Do counter-terrorism police really have "no plan" for far right groups? on 17:22 - Sep 23 with 1311 viewsfactual_blue

Do counter-terrorism police really have "no plan" for far right groups? on 15:43 - Sep 23 by Oldsmoker

We also had CND,Trade unionists, Greenpeace, Greenham common, Occupy (2008) and the Tree huggers (Swampy et al). Files were kept on all these groups and in some cases the police planted spies amongst them.
The tactics today will be similar. They might not be terrorists but the police know who they are and have information on them.

The Animal Rights protestors went from releasing caged animals into the wild to planting bombs in cars. That's when they crossed the line. Today, most of what they campaigned for is part of EU/UK Animal Welfare laws.
That is because academics, MP's etc got "woke" to animal cruelty and made their cause mainstream.
So that's how the far right could become "normal" as more celebrities, MP's etc. think that their views are OK.

Until the mid-70s MI5 opened as a matter of course a file on every university/polytechnic student. Most of course ended up with nothing written in them, but it also enabled the Security Services to identify potential recruits: a friend of mine who read Russian at Leeds was approached by GCHQ because she had (a) the language skills and (b) no involvement in left-wing politics recorded against her.

Obviously, I can't tell you if she accepted the job offer.

Do counter-terrorism police really have "no plan" for far right groups? on 17:26 - Sep 23 with 1300 viewsfooters

Do counter-terrorism police really have "no plan" for far right groups? on 17:22 - Sep 23 by factual_blue

Until the mid-70s MI5 opened as a matter of course a file on every university/polytechnic student. Most of course ended up with nothing written in them, but it also enabled the Security Services to identify potential recruits: a friend of mine who read Russian at Leeds was approached by GCHQ because she had (a) the language skills and (b) no involvement in left-wing politics recorded against her.

Obviously, I can't tell you if she accepted the job offer.

Someone did approach me just after uni for exactly the same reasons, 'Russian textual analyst' was the job title iirc. After speaking for a while the lady did say it was for GCHQ or summat so I politely declined the offer of an interview.

But if MI5 were really up on their homework, they wouldn't have approached a weirdo like me.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Do counter-terrorism police really have "no plan" for far right groups? on 17:34 - Sep 23 with 1279 viewsBLUEBEAT

Do counter-terrorism police really have "no plan" for far right groups? on 17:17 - Sep 23 by factual_blue

Until they break the law, the police won't have anything to do with them.

Probably 15-20% of generation identity's members, however, are likely to MI5 officers or agents.

*taps side of nose.

C18 all over again

Poll: W or W

Do counter-terrorism police really have "no plan" for far right groups? on 17:37 - Sep 23 with 1276 viewsfactual_blue

Do counter-terrorism police really have "no plan" for far right groups? on 17:26 - Sep 23 by footers

Someone did approach me just after uni for exactly the same reasons, 'Russian textual analyst' was the job title iirc. After speaking for a while the lady did say it was for GCHQ or summat so I politely declined the offer of an interview.

But if MI5 were really up on their homework, they wouldn't have approached a weirdo like me.

'Weirdo' is their target demographic.

Login to get fewer ads

Do counter-terrorism police really have "no plan" for far right groups? on 17:38 - Sep 23 with 1274 viewsfooters

Do counter-terrorism police really have "no plan" for far right groups? on 17:37 - Sep 23 by factual_blue

'Weirdo' is their target demographic.

How long did you work for them?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Do counter-terrorism police really have on 17:43 - Sep 23 with 1272 viewsfactual_blue

Do counter-terrorism police really have "no plan" for far right groups? on 17:38 - Sep 23 by footers

How long did you work for them?

Do counter-terrorism police really have on 19:12 - Sep 23 with 1226 viewsbournemouthblue

Do counter-terrorism police really have "no plan" for far right groups? on 15:43 - Sep 23 by Oldsmoker

Insiders from MI5 who looked into CND concluded that they were far from the left wing extremists and actually held a broad range of views

They were taken off the watchlist in the 80's although this didn't stop the Tories twisting the facts obtained on the organisation
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 19:12]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Do counter-terrorism police really have "no plan" for far right groups? on 20:40 - Sep 23 with 1188 viewscrunchie1978

Normally not planning for something that has a very good chance of not happening is a perfectly rational thing to do.
Do counter-terrorism police really have "no plan" for far right groups? on 21:55 - Sep 23 with 1144 viewsBloomBlue

They've done nothing wrong yet, if they had to make plans based on what people say/write they would need plans for 50% of Twitter and football forum users
Do counter-terrorism police really have on 22:48 - Sep 23 with 1120 viewsOldsmoker

Do counter-terrorism police really have on 19:12 - Sep 23 by bournemouthblue

Insiders from MI5 who looked into CND concluded that they were far from the left wing extremists and actually held a broad range of views

They were taken off the watchlist in the 80's although this didn't stop the Tories twisting the facts obtained on the organisation
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 19:12]

Thanks for that. I hadn't seen that documentary before.One thing that worried me was the bit about the opinion of a senior MI5 boss who thought that CND was controlled by communists. This is one persons opinion that became accepted policy. He was wrong, but money and resources were wasted for many years because of this opinion.
A similar wrong opinion was the Yorkshire Ripper chief police detective who was convinced that the tape and letters from Jack were genuine. This also wasted time and resources and I've watched at least 2 programs that suggest that Sutcliffe may have been caught earlier if they hadn't been distracted by it.
It boils down to who polices the police because they're not always right.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Do counter-terrorism police really have on 00:27 - Sep 24 with 1097 viewsGuthrum

Do counter-terrorism police really have "no plan" for far right groups? on 20:40 - Sep 23 by crunchie1978

Normally not planning for something that has a very good chance of not happening is a perfectly rational thing to do.

Except that this 'something' has happened. In Christchurch. In Norway. Several times in the USA. All of those people espoused the same bollox theory about "racial replacement" that groups like Generation Identity also subscribe to. It resulted in a large number of murders.

No UK GI member has done anything like that - yet. But to write off the chances of one at some time following the same path (albeit with less easy access to guns) would be foolish.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024