Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gretta Thunberg speech.... 19:47 - Sep 23 with 4920 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/video/2019/sep/23/greta-thunberg-to-worl

....while I agree with pretty much every word I think she needs to take some time out before she burns out....personally when I saw this I was more concerned about her mental welfare than what she was saying. The Society of the Spectacle needs to give her a break.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2019 17:53]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Great Thunberg speech.... on 09:43 - Sep 24 with 1502 viewsGuthrum

Great Thunberg speech.... on 08:18 - Sep 24 by GlasgowBlue

She seems to have a lot of mental strength and she’s obviously dedicated to her cause, but I can’t help but think that she’s being robbed of her youth by those who have a duty of care to her and she is starting to look very fragile. I can’t help but think this will have a very sad ending.

For all the adults possibly willing to make use of her profile, she has a support network in the other children and youngsters flocking to her cause. People she can relate to directly and, in the modern world, communicate with easily.

She's probably just rather tired after several weeks of major public appearances and speeches. There is (presumably) a boat trip back to Europe to look forward to, then some R&R - assuming she can sit still that long.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Great Thunberg speech.... on 09:44 - Sep 24 with 1501 viewsSwansea_Blue

Great Thunberg speech.... on 09:39 - Sep 24 by BanksterDebtSlave

"Fairy tales of eternal economic growth....."

Glad someone has been paying attention.

You're George Monbiot and I claim my free hessian man bag

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Great Thunberg speech.... on 09:53 - Sep 24 with 1486 viewsGuthrum

Great Thunberg speech.... on 22:43 - Sep 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

I agree, she could easily burn out.

I don't really get the cult of Greta. It's good that she has a positive message, but the hysteria is a bit odd.

She is the articulate voice for an awful lot of people, who has managed to gain public prominence through her youth. Thus many young people across the globe - who feel they are ignored and all power clung on to by a cartel of the old - are flocking to her standard. Along with all the people who have been vainly pushing the same message for possibly decades and now have a way to get that onto the front pages.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Great Thunberg speech.... on 09:56 - Sep 24 with 1476 viewsGlasgowBlue

Great Thunberg speech.... on 09:22 - Sep 24 by footers

It's just another attempt at delegitimising her, by saying she's somehow been coerced. She's practically an adult, a very intelligent one at that, not a trained seal. "Poor little girl, she doesn't know what she's saying."

Sure Greta would find their concerns about her misplaced given the severity of her actual message.

How is showing concern for her mental well being in any way delegitimising her? She has a very powerful message, will be shown to be on the right side of history and is an extremely intelligent and articulate young lady.

I’m the parent of 16 year old twin girls, one of whom is studying to be a human rights lawyer. She’s very determined, intelligent and passionate about what she believes. She gives up two evenings a week to help people with learning difficulties gain confidence through sport and each Sunday sells plants in the local shopping centre with the local Downes group. I’m not comparing her in any way to Greta other than the fact that as a parent I know that she is still very young, her emotions are often at the surface as she goes through her teenage years and as a parent I have a duty of care to ensure her mental well being. I often have to tell her to live life a little more. We hear of16 and 18 year olds taking their own lives as the pressure of exams can be too great. Dismissing people’s concerns as an attempt to delegitimise her views is frankly utter bullsh1t and comes from somebody who is obviously not the oRent of teenage children.

My view is quite simply, well done Greta. You have done more for climate change awareness than any other person in this planet. But there are people in your organisation who should be giving you far more support and taking on more of the PR and media appearances that Greta partakes in.

She needs to be able to have some time to enjoy her late teenage years otherwise I can see her being pretty fcuked up as an adult.

Edit not for the first time Maajid speaks wise words.

[Post edited 24 Sep 2019 11:01]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Great Thunberg speech.... on 10:41 - Sep 24 with 1447 viewsStokieBlue

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have swayed the Trump one bit - he's just gone in with the trolling as usual.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/sep/24/she-seems-very-happy-trump-appea

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Great Thunberg speech.... on 13:32 - Sep 24 with 1406 viewsjeera

Great Thunberg speech.... on 09:18 - Sep 24 by Swansea_Blue

To those saying she's being manipulated by her parents, don't you think that a 15 year old (as she was when she started this) is capable of having their own views on what's important to them? She's 16 now.

Anyone who's had kids knows how determined they can be growing up. It disregards her intelligence, drive and passion to assume that she wasn't capable of getting to this point on her own.

I think that viewpoint also ignores the reported fact it was Gtreta who was the driver for change in their family, not the other way round.

Absolutely.

She's driven, and if she wasn't she wouldn't have come so far; a great deal of support or pushing or otherwise.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Great Thunberg speech.... on 13:45 - Sep 24 with 1399 viewsJeanManuelThetis

Great Thunberg speech.... on 23:25 - Sep 23 by Ely_Blue

I’d love to know how the little eco warrior is making her way around the globe? Bicycle and yacht/rowing boat? Hmmm damn hypocrite if you ask me, demanding that all of these goats take action yet what is she doing other than getting on her soapbox

Amazing... she literally is doing it in a yacht.
Great Thunberg speech.... on 13:56 - Sep 24 with 1392 viewsBiGDonnie

Great Thunberg speech.... on 22:43 - Sep 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

I agree, she could easily burn out.

I don't really get the cult of Greta. It's good that she has a positive message, but the hysteria is a bit odd.

And the faces she pulls....

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Great Thunberg speech.... on 16:07 - Sep 24 with 1364 viewsitfcjoe

I don't get how she has become the leader and face of this - and worry about the pressure she must be under. Great message and she is doing brilliantly, but can't help but feel too much weight is being put on her shoulders - hope it all ends well

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Great Thunberg speech.... on 16:17 - Sep 24 with 1359 viewsSwansea_Blue

Great Thunberg speech.... on 16:07 - Sep 24 by itfcjoe

I don't get how she has become the leader and face of this - and worry about the pressure she must be under. Great message and she is doing brilliantly, but can't help but feel too much weight is being put on her shoulders - hope it all ends well

I suspect her 'rise' is due to a number of coinciding factors:
- the groundwork had been laid by the school strike for climate movement back in 2015
- she's stuck at it
- she's has the sub-story of her autism, which makes her interesting/different and newsworthy
- she's very direct and the message is very simple. Both are powerful tools in a period of information overload.
- her action coincides with the Extinction Rebellion movement and a general increasing awareness of climate issues

At a guess.

Great Thunberg speech.... on 17:34 - Sep 24 with 1332 viewsEireannach_gorm

Great Thunberg speech.... on 09:31 - Sep 24 by Swansea_Blue

"Mentally ill little girl" as one right wing commentator in the States referred to her yesterday. Trumpie's been openly mocking her too.

It's pretty sick the length people will go to to protect their world view, especially when it's as fecked up as theirs.

The 'mentally ill' comment is a moronic dig at her Asperger’s syndrome. Play the woman, not the ball.
Great Thunberg speech.... on 17:57 - Sep 24 with 1320 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Great Thunberg speech.... on 09:44 - Sep 24 by Swansea_Blue

You're George Monbiot and I claim my free hessian man bag

Send a forwarding address and It's yours.

Great Thunberg speech.... on 18:02 - Sep 24 with 1318 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Great Thunberg speech.... on 09:56 - Sep 24 by GlasgowBlue

How is showing concern for her mental well being in any way delegitimising her? She has a very powerful message, will be shown to be on the right side of history and is an extremely intelligent and articulate young lady.

I’m the parent of 16 year old twin girls, one of whom is studying to be a human rights lawyer. She’s very determined, intelligent and passionate about what she believes. She gives up two evenings a week to help people with learning difficulties gain confidence through sport and each Sunday sells plants in the local shopping centre with the local Downes group. I’m not comparing her in any way to Greta other than the fact that as a parent I know that she is still very young, her emotions are often at the surface as she goes through her teenage years and as a parent I have a duty of care to ensure her mental well being. I often have to tell her to live life a little more. We hear of16 and 18 year olds taking their own lives as the pressure of exams can be too great. Dismissing people’s concerns as an attempt to delegitimise her views is frankly utter bullsh1t and comes from somebody who is obviously not the oRent of teenage children.

My view is quite simply, well done Greta. You have done more for climate change awareness than any other person in this planet. But there are people in your organisation who should be giving you far more support and taking on more of the PR and media appearances that Greta partakes in.

She needs to be able to have some time to enjoy her late teenage years otherwise I can see her being pretty fcuked up as an adult.

Edit not for the first time Maajid speaks wise words.

[Post edited 24 Sep 2019 11:01]

Torn between...
"Pretty much agree and good on Junior GlasgowBlue. "
and ...
"Nothing that a ten bag and Kit Kat can't put right...!"
....so have both.

Gretta Thunberg speech.... on 18:21 - Sep 24 with 1298 viewskpblues

Great speech and love the passion.
Easy to blame everything on the old people but they may not be entirely to blame
1. They walked to school. Youngsters are driven in mummy and daddys car.
2. No foreign holidays when oldies were young. Youngsters now go long haul for stag dos!
3. Very little plastic in olden times. Things came in glass bottles which were reused
4. Loose food was in paper bags. Now it's plastic
5. No Mcds then so no polysterene boxes all over the place
6. Milk delivered by linkman in an electric vehicle.

So maybe they were not so wasteful after all. Never the less good to see the passion.

Poll: Do you want Ipswich to be a city?

Gretta Thunberg speech.... on 18:24 - Sep 24 with 1293 viewstabletopjoe

Great speech. I wonder who wrote it?

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

Gretta Thunberg speech.... on 18:29 - Sep 24 with 1287 viewswkj

Gretta Thunberg speech.... on 18:24 - Sep 24 by tabletopjoe

Great speech. I wonder who wrote it?

Someone great, for sure.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Gretta Thunberg speech.... on 10:21 - Sep 26 with 1175 viewsSwansea_Blue

She's looking pretty good to me. I'm just jealous that she gets to travel round the world experiencing new places and events, whilst I'm stuck here with you lot...

Gretta Thunberg speech.... on 10:23 - Sep 26 with 1171 viewswkj

Gretta Thunberg speech.... on 10:21 - Sep 26 by Swansea_Blue

She's looking pretty good to me. I'm just jealous that she gets to travel round the world experiencing new places and events, whilst I'm stuck here with you lot...

Drop Fergal a pm mate, best of both worlds

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024