Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So Hurst tried to sign Norwood last year... 09:31 - Sep 25 with 7961 viewsSitfcB

...for £150,000 but Evans didn’t sanction it.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/paul-hurst-tried-to-sign-james-norwood-for-ipswich-

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

So Hurst tried to sign Norwood last year... on 09:36 - Sep 25 with 5136 viewsJ2BLUE

Thank god we didn't get him.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So Hurst tried to sign Norwood last year... on 09:47 - Sep 25 with 5083 viewsHerbivore

Pretty glad that didn't come off. The step up would have been massive and I think he'd have struggled badly in a team short on confidence.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Controversial opinion..... on 09:52 - Sep 25 with 5058 viewsBloots

....or maybe not.

But he's not up to Championship standard.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Controversial opinion..... on 09:58 - Sep 25 with 5006 viewsHerbivore

Controversial opinion..... on 09:52 - Sep 25 by Bloots

....or maybe not.

Not controversial at all imo.

Controversial opinion..... on 10:01 - Sep 25 with 4991 viewsSomethingBlue

....or maybe not.

Probably not but suspect he'll do just fine for us this season and that's what he was brought in for. If we go up then he'll at least be very nice to have around.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Controversial opinion..... on 10:01 - Sep 25 with 4989 viewsPJH

Controversial opinion..... on 09:58 - Sep 25 by Herbivore

Not controversial at all imo.

My opinion at the moment is that it would have to up his goals per chances ratio if he and we are in The Championship because he would not get as many chances there.
Controversial opinion..... on 10:03 - Sep 25 with 4971 viewsHerbivore

Controversial opinion..... on 10:01 - Sep 25 by PJH

My opinion at the moment is that it would have to up his goals per chances ratio if he and we are in The Championship because he would not get as many chances there.

Yeah, he's not anywhere near clinical enough for a higher level than this imo. Good player and good character though.

Controversial opinion..... on 10:06 - Sep 25 with 4962 viewsDubtractor

....or maybe not.

He's prob not that standard, but he is closer to that standard than Harrison was....

What a fooking shambles the hurst reign was.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Login to get fewer ads

Controversial opinion..... on 10:06 - Sep 25 with 4955 viewsBrixtonBlue

....or maybe not.

Hard to say until he's given a chance there. I think his physicality would serve him well in the Champ.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Controversial opinion..... on 10:10 - Sep 25 with 4924 viewsPJH

Controversial opinion..... on 10:06 - Sep 25 by BrixtonBlue

Hard to say until he's given a chance there. I think his physicality would serve him well in the Champ.

But his main job would be to score goals and so far for us he has missed far more chances than he has taken and as he would be likely to be getting less chances at a higher level he will have to somehow improve his goals for chances strike rate.
Controversial opinion..... on 10:14 - Sep 25 with 4891 viewsBrixtonBlue

Controversial opinion..... on 10:10 - Sep 25 by PJH

But his main job would be to score goals and so far for us he has missed far more chances than he has taken and as he would be likely to be getting less chances at a higher level he will have to somehow improve his goals for chances strike rate.

My point is his physicality would give him more chances to score goals.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Controversial opinion..... on 10:15 - Sep 25 with 4880 viewsHerbivore

Controversial opinion..... on 10:14 - Sep 25 by BrixtonBlue

My point is his physicality would give him more chances to score goals.

Not at that higher level imo.

Controversial opinion..... on 10:36 - Sep 25 with 4785 viewsclive_baker

....or maybe not.

Difficult to say given he's never played at that level. There's aspects of his game that he certainly needs to work on, but the way he plays lends itself to any level, to a certain extent. He's a bit of a pain in the backside, very intelligent player and street wise, and you certainly would rather have him in your team than against you. Don't get me wrong, I can't see him scoring 20+ goals in the Championship for the next few seasons necessarily but in a half decent side I wouldn't say there's much between him and a Joe Garner.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

So Hurst tried to sign Norwood last year... on 10:49 - Sep 25 with 4723 viewsTractorCam

So glad we didn't, he'd be playing for Portsmouth right now.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

So Hurst tried to sign Norwood last year... on 11:14 - Sep 25 with 4641 viewsAbracadobra

So Hurst tried to sign Norwood last year... on 10:49 - Sep 25 by TractorCam

So glad we didn't, he'd be playing for Portsmouth right now.

No he wouldn’t, Harrison was binned off for being rubbish. No doubt in my mind that Norwood would have done better...
Controversial opinion..... on 11:18 - Sep 25 with 4615 viewsChurchman

Controversial opinion..... on 10:01 - Sep 25 by PJH

I think by playing at a better level, he may improve even at a relatively late age. Murphy did. This theory has failed dismally with many a player, I know, but it’ll be interesting to see how effective he is by the seasons end.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2019 11:38]
Controversial opinion..... on 11:25 - Sep 25 with 4585 viewsActionMan

Controversial opinion..... on 10:03 - Sep 25 by Herbivore

Yeah, he's not anywhere near clinical enough for a higher level than this imo. Good player and good character though.

Agree 100%. We've seen far more gifted strikers struggle at the Championship level than he is, but his workrate is good so no reason why he wouldn't be useful in the Championship as a squad player.
So Hurst tried to sign Norwood last year... on 11:37 - Sep 25 with 4541 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sounds like gossip.

Given how Jackson and Harrison performed under Hurst, I'm not sure Norwood would have made a difference at that point.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Controversial opinion..... on 11:39 - Sep 25 with 4528 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

....or maybe not.

We weren't creating any chances for him to convert either.

It would have been a big leap from Conference to Championship.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

So Hurst tried to sign Norwood last year... on 11:40 - Sep 25 with 4520 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So Hurst tried to sign Norwood last year... on 11:14 - Sep 25 by Abracadobra

No he wouldn’t, Harrison was binned off for being rubbish. No doubt in my mind that Norwood would have done better...

We'll never know.

Conference to Championship would have been a huge leap.

We saw how it worked (or didnt) for all Hursts other signings.

So Hurst tried to sign Norwood last year... on 12:21 - Sep 25 with 4423 viewsTractorCam

So Hurst tried to sign Norwood last year... on 11:14 - Sep 25 by Abracadobra

Ellis Harrison scored 12 in league 1
Kayden Jackson scored 16 in league 2
James Norwood scored 20 in national league

Why would he have done better than the others given the 3 division swing, as like the others he would have been in an awful team losing every week. Much better that he got to stick with his familiar surroundings, bang in 32 in league 2 then join us in just a 1 division swing on a free transfer.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Controversial opinion..... on 12:55 - Sep 25 with 4276 viewsIllinoisblue

Controversial opinion..... on 10:10 - Sep 25 by PJH

Spoiler alert: all strikers miss more than they score

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Controversial opinion..... on 13:06 - Sep 25 with 4227 viewsBrixtonBlue

Controversial opinion..... on 10:15 - Sep 25 by Herbivore

Not at that higher level imo.

It remains to be seen doesn't it? Some players step up, some players don't. Bit unfair to write him off without giving him a chance.

So Hurst tried to sign Norwood last year... on 13:22 - Sep 25 with 4169 viewsKeaneish

£150k and Jackson was £1.6m? Really? Doesn't sound right especially given the money PH was given, that he recouped and spent.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Controversial opinion..... on 13:23 - Sep 25 with 4163 viewsPJH

Controversial opinion..... on 12:55 - Sep 25 by Illinoisblue

Spoiler alert: all strikers miss more than they score

Possibly over a career but when they are really on form probably they do not.

If you take Alan Brazil in his purple patch which lasted the best part of two seasons with us and he had a one on one with the keeper you could be pretty certain that it was a goal, almost as good as having a John Wark penalty at that time.

I know that Norwood has never been and never will be as good as Brazil was at that time but you would think that any striker of reasonable ability would have scored at least two of the eight one on ones that I think Norwood has failed to score from so far.

Going back to my original point I would say that a good striker playing well would take more than 50% of the chances that he gets.

On that basis Norwood is either not a good striker or he is not playing well, or both.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024