Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vitamins & Supplements 09:54 - Sep 27 with 5636 viewsclive_baker

Does anyone here take any regularly? If so, what and why?

If not, why not?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Vitamins & Supplements on 09:59 - Sep 27 with 4305 viewsStokieBlue

Surely if you eat a balanced diet you don't need to unless a doctor has told you specifically to take something?

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/food-and-diet/do-i-need-vitamin-suppl

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Vitamins & Supplements on 10:06 - Sep 27 with 4291 viewsBarneycurley

Vitamins & Supplements on 09:59 - Sep 27 by StokieBlue

Surely if you eat a balanced diet you don't need to unless a doctor has told you specifically to take something?

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/food-and-diet/do-i-need-vitamin-suppl

SB

Agree wholely. If you take say mens performance vits for a few weeks and stop taking I'd be pretty sure you'd hardly notice. It's so only an example but I think they have very little impact.

Suggest any symptoms that vitamins suggest they can address will be found in most whole foods.

But I am happy to be proved wrong.

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Vitamins & Supplements on 10:07 - Sep 27 with 4287 viewsEssen_blue

I take a daily multi vitamin to cover any shortage in my diet on that day, but eating well is more important than any vitamin.
Vitamins & Supplements on 10:11 - Sep 27 with 4278 viewsReuser_is_God

Nah, I'm a fat fcuk.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Vitamins & Supplements on 10:16 - Sep 27 with 4269 viewsclive_baker

Vitamins & Supplements on 09:59 - Sep 27 by StokieBlue

SB

I don’t disagree (perhaps with the exception of vitamin D in winter months or pregnant women). That’s a big IF though. Many don’t.

Vitamins & Supplements on 10:18 - Sep 27 with 4262 viewswkj

Usually an orange at half time keeps me fit as a fiddle.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Vitamins & Supplements on 10:31 - Sep 27 with 4237 viewsflimflam

The biggest con going, complete waste of time and money

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Vitamins & Supplements on 10:45 - Sep 27 with 4223 viewsGavTWTD

Vitamins & Supplements on 10:16 - Sep 27 by clive_baker

I don’t disagree (perhaps with the exception of vitamin D in winter months or pregnant women). That’s a big IF though. Many don’t.

My doc said that unless you work outside for a living, that everyone should take a vitamin D supplement as we don't get enough as a country. Some of the Vit D supplements are crazy high in their doses so best look at the labels. You shouldn't take more than 100 microgrammes a day otherwise it causes a build up of calcium in your body and damage your bones, kidney and heart. I take 25microgrammes a day. Do I feel better for it? No. But a year's supply was around a tenner and feel I'm doing the right thing.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Login to get fewer ads

Vitamins & Supplements on 10:49 - Sep 27 with 4213 viewsDubtractor

I take wellman.

I have a fairly healthy diet for the most part, though lapse occasionally and quite often struggle for energy in winter, and for the sake of a fiver a month it cant hurt.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Vitamins & Supplements on 10:49 - Sep 27 with 4210 viewsBasuco

A multivitamin with iron once a week or so, purely to top up on any vitamins that I may be short of and any not used are passed through the body. They are also very cheap to buy, so I take them just peace of mind that I have everything my body needs to keep going. In the old days it was recommended to take a supplement in Winter as fresh salad was not readily available.
Vitamins & Supplements on 11:01 - Sep 27 with 4184 viewsclive_baker

Vitamins & Supplements on 10:45 - Sep 27 by GavTWTD

My doc said that unless you work outside for a living, that everyone should take a vitamin D supplement as we don't get enough as a country. Some of the Vit D supplements are crazy high in their doses so best look at the labels. You shouldn't take more than 100 microgrammes a day otherwise it causes a build up of calcium in your body and damage your bones, kidney and heart. I take 25microgrammes a day. Do I feel better for it? No. But a year's supply was around a tenner and feel I'm doing the right thing.

75% of Brits don’t get enough vitamin D, particularly during winter months when we don’t see the sun.

I’ve upped my B12 and never had as much energy.

Vitamins & Supplements on 11:17 - Sep 27 with 4160 viewsDeano69

Vitamins & Supplements on 11:01 - Sep 27 by clive_baker

75% of Brits don’t get enough vitamin D, particularly during winter months when we don’t see the sun.

I’ve upped my B12 and never had as much energy.

Seems the whole of the UK has been told by quacks to get more Vitamin D, certainly I was. My suggestion of Caribbean Holidays on the NHS was not taken up...

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Vitamins & Supplements on 11:31 - Sep 27 with 4143 viewswkj

Vitamins & Supplements on 11:17 - Sep 27 by Deano69

Seems the whole of the UK has been told by quacks to get more Vitamin D, certainly I was. My suggestion of Caribbean Holidays on the NHS was not taken up...

My doctor also had the nerve to tell me I was deficient in Vitamin D. I smell a conspiracy here.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Vitamins & Supplements on 11:37 - Sep 27 with 4125 viewsJ2BLUE

Seems to be a decent product. High doses so only take half a dose. I consider it cheap insurance.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Vitamins & Supplements on 11:41 - Sep 27 with 4114 viewschicoazul

I take a wholefood multivitamin every day. Part of it is Pavlovian and part of it is some days I dont have the greatest diet.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Vitamins & Supplements on 11:57 - Sep 27 with 4090 viewsDeano69

Vitamins & Supplements on 11:31 - Sep 27 by wkj

My doctor also had the nerve to tell me I was deficient in Vitamin D. I smell a conspiracy here.

Pretty much everyone I know that has had any form of blood test has been told the same.

I was also informed my iron count was a bit low the last time I had a blood test, I was advised to eat more red meat! If I am honest, I dont know anyone who eats more red meat than me, I could go full carnivore if asked... Maybe theres more money in shares of iron supplements now....???

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Vitamins & Supplements on 11:59 - Sep 27 with 4082 viewsRyorry

Vitamins & Supplements on 10:45 - Sep 27 by GavTWTD

Not sure about "everyone", but a blood test showed I was quite badly deficient in vitD, despite spending a lot of time outside - this result came as quite a shock as it was halfway through last summer's heatwave. Therefore take with my GP's encouragement & approval, D3 1000 iu daily. And yes I do feel better for it, get less cramp for starters. Best taken after a meal, helps absorption.

Also down in bone density after scan (allergic to dairy) and have also been borderline anaemic for years, so again with GP's encouragement & approval, take calcium 2 x 500mg daily, & tummy-friendly iron 14mg daily. Consultant gastroenterologist also recommended amino acid L-Glutamine daily, which I do take sometimes but not regularly, as it costs £1 daily & isn't in UK prescribing list so not available on NHS. Many people with inflammatory bowel disease (UC or Chrohns) like myself simply don't absorb food properly, and/or have a very limited range of foods they're OK with, so supplements are actually essential for health.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2019 12:03]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Vitamins & Supplements on 12:00 - Sep 27 with 4074 viewschicoazul

Vitamins & Supplements on 11:59 - Sep 27 by Ryorry

Not sure about "everyone", but a blood test showed I was quite badly deficient in vitD, despite spending a lot of time outside - this result came as quite a shock as it was halfway through last summer's heatwave. Therefore take with my GP's encouragement & approval, D3 1000 iu daily. And yes I do feel better for it, get less cramp for starters. Best taken after a meal, helps absorption.

Also down in bone density after scan (allergic to dairy) and have also been borderline anaemic for years, so again with GP's encouragement & approval, take calcium 2 x 500mg daily, & tummy-friendly iron 14mg daily. Consultant gastroenterologist also recommended amino acid L-Glutamine daily, which I do take sometimes but not regularly, as it costs £1 daily & isn't in UK prescribing list so not available on NHS. Many people with inflammatory bowel disease (UC or Chrohns) like myself simply don't absorb food properly, and/or have a very limited range of foods they're OK with, so supplements are actually essential for health.

I skim-read this and thought you said "borderline antisemitic".

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Vitamins & Supplements on 12:02 - Sep 27 with 4068 viewsJ2BLUE

Vitamins & Supplements on 11:59 - Sep 27 by Ryorry

What dose of L-Glutamine do you take?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Vitamins & Supplements on 12:02 - Sep 27 with 4070 viewsNotSure

The trouble with vitamins is I don't think the body absorbs the pills.
For instance if you are Vitamin B12 deficient you are given a jab as the pills are no good.
Vitamins & Supplements on 12:15 - Sep 27 with 4042 viewsRyorry

Vitamins & Supplements on 12:02 - Sep 27 by J2BLUE

What dose of L-Glutamine do you take?

1 x 500mg capsule daily when taking, but instructions say up to 6 daily! on an empty stomach.

I use Natures Best for most things as I've found they use the fewest & purest ingredients, are ethical in their approach, reasonably priced & excellent customer service - they have a help & advice line, & have in the past sent me small samples to test if I'm unsure about allergens.

Edit: Holland & Barrett good for calcium & marine magnesium (the latter supposedly also good against cramp), & I buy those there.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2019 12:43]

Vitamins & Supplements on 12:17 - Sep 27 with 4039 viewsRyorry

Vitamins & Supplements on 12:00 - Sep 27 by chicoazul

I skim-read this and thought you said "borderline antisemitic".

Something on your mind then?! ;)

Vitamins & Supplements on 12:22 - Sep 27 with 4028 viewsNthQldITFC

Vitamins & Supplements on 10:16 - Sep 27 by clive_baker

I think your advice of taking pregnant women in the winter months could be controversial.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Vitamins & Supplements on 12:23 - Sep 27 with 4024 viewsSikamikanico

I take one tied into a specific medical issue
Vitamins & Supplements on 12:27 - Sep 27 with 4017 viewsgainsboroughblue

I take Turmeric capsules as it is a natural inflammatory. I've had a history of back and shoulder pain.

I like to think it helps but then again it may be a placebo effect.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024