Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dribblers 07:53 - Sep 30 with 5580 viewssolemio

What about the best ITFC dribblers?
No discussion about the best: Franz Thijssen.
What other good Close-control dribblers have we had?
Another Dutchman and a former fireman come to mind.
All references to bibs are strictly forbidden.
Dribblers on 12:02 - Oct 1 with 431 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Jimmy Robertson. In the deep recess of my mind, he stands out as the first player i remember being able to dribble with the ball.
Clive Woods was a another who could totally bamboozle opponents.
Teddy Bishop has that style, unfortunately, injuries have curtailed his appearances.

The correct answer though is Frans Thijssen. The ball seemed to be attached to his boot with chewing gum. The ultimate "Wizard of Dribble".

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Dribblers on 12:19 - Oct 1 with 414 viewssolemio

Dribblers on 12:01 - Oct 1 by PJH

I suppose in a way he and some of the other players that were around in the mid to late 1980's suffered in comparison with the quality that had immediately preceded them.

I do not remember having strong feelings either way about Nigel Gleghorn and I think for me he was an ok player in amongst some other ok players.

I think for me personally the stand out players at that time 1985-1988 were probably Mark Brennan and Romeo Zondervan.

Yes, without a doubt Brennan and Romeo were better all-round players. Gleggers(!)
just had rather eye-catching close control skills that they didn't. Once he'd cleverly beaten a defender what he did next tended to be rather less impressive!
Dribblers on 12:59 - Oct 1 with 400 viewsfloridablue

Dribblers on 12:02 - Oct 1 by StochesStotasBlewe

Jimmy Robertson. In the deep recess of my mind, he stands out as the first player i remember being able to dribble with the ball.
Clive Woods was a another who could totally bamboozle opponents.
Teddy Bishop has that style, unfortunately, injuries have curtailed his appearances.

The correct answer though is Frans Thijssen. The ball seemed to be attached to his boot with chewing gum. The ultimate "Wizard of Dribble".

Frans Thijssen for me and as you mention, Robertson and Woods in my top five. I've never seen Bishop play or any of the players since 02 so would include Muhren and Mick Lambert from the Robson days with Broadfoot, Rueser and Petta just missing out.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024