Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brooklyn bar tips 19:06 - Sep 30 with 2184 viewsWickwar_Blue

Rather than travel to Fleetwood I’m heading to NYC this weekend to see my other sporting love, the Minnesota Vikings @ New York Giants.

I am staying in Brooklyn (Bedford Stuyvesant). Has anyone been and can they recommend any local watering holes?
Brooklyn bar tips on 19:43 - Sep 30 with 1743 viewsFenoit

I can recommend a bar called “Banter” in Brooklyn. Terrible name I know but will always show UK football, mainly EPL, and does decent us craft beer if that’s your thing.
Brooklyn bar tips on 19:44 - Sep 30 with 1736 viewsFenoit

Brooklyn bar tips on 19:43 - Sep 30 by Fenoit

I can recommend a bar called “Banter” in Brooklyn. Terrible name I know but will always show UK football, mainly EPL, and does decent us craft beer if that’s your thing.

I should say, that is in Williamsburg, Brooklyn is massive so I just wanted to clarify.
Brooklyn bar tips on 19:49 - Sep 30 with 1729 viewsHitchin_ITFC

Try to do the Brooklyn Brewery tour if you get a chance.

https://brooklynbrewery.com/visit/
Brooklyn bar tips on 19:53 - Sep 30 with 1721 viewsbluefunk

For a fantastic view of lower Manhattan, go to Harriet’s rooftop bar, just by the Brooklyn Bridge, in the One Hotel on Furman street. Book a table if you want to eat (functional not exceptional) but the bar is for walk ups although they do charge a minimum now at weekends I think.

Go as the sun sets and watch the lights come on
Brooklyn bar tips on 20:01 - Sep 30 with 1710 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nice trip!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brooklyn bar tips on 20:06 - Sep 30 with 1701 viewsBassett_Blue

This is true, I watched last years League Cup final in there. A lad I knows live over there and that is where he took me to watch it.
Brooklyn bar tips on 20:06 - Sep 30 with 1698 viewsSpruceMoose

Used to live on the boarder of Bed-Stuy and Crown Heights. Bed-Stuy covers a fairly large area, where will you be staying?

Feel free to PM me if you want any more in depth ramblings but here are a few places that I used to knock around in:

Black Swan
Mekelburg's
Fulton Ale House
Chilo's
Bed-Vyne Brew
Dynaco

If you head south into Crown Heights the just walk down Franklin Avenue between Dean and Eastern Parkway for the area's best food and drinks. We actually moved from that area as it was getting a bit too lively and young and well, I'm an old git now! One avenue over on Classon Ave you'll find Covenhoven, which is considered one of the best craft beer bars in Brooklyn if that's your bag.

If you're over on the Bushwick side of BS then I have suggestions for that area too.

Like I said, feel free to PM me
[Post edited 30 Sep 2019 20:11]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Brooklyn bar tips on 20:19 - Sep 30 with 1662 viewsclive_baker

It’s nowt fancy but if you want a proper Brooklyn local bar experience check of Sharlene’s. Used to drink in there regularly when I lived there and a good selection of different beers. Quality place.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Brooklyn bar tips on 20:20 - Sep 30 with 1659 viewsSpruceMoose

Brooklyn bar tips on 20:19 - Sep 30 by clive_baker

It’s nowt fancy but if you want a proper Brooklyn local bar experience check of Sharlene’s. Used to drink in there regularly when I lived there and a good selection of different beers. Quality place.

Not a bad shout. There's always a line at the BBQ place that opened up the road a while back too.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Brooklyn bar tips on 20:49 - Sep 30 with 1638 viewsfactual_blue

I would think the tip expected in most Brooklyn bars would be about 18% these days.

It's what makes America grate.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Brooklyn bar tips on 20:53 - Sep 30 with 1633 viewsSpruceMoose

Brooklyn bar tips on 20:49 - Sep 30 by factual_blue

I would think the tip expected in most Brooklyn bars would be about 18% these days.

It's what makes America grate.

Maybe in the kind of gold plate pension cocktail lounges your sort drinks in, but us commoners are still tipping a buck for a beer

The world is your oyster for boozing in Brooklyn on 20:58 - Sep 30 with 1624 viewsDyland

You can bar crawl north across Lafayette and up Bedord Avenue, swing left to Kent Avenue which snakes through Williamsburg by the river, and end up at the Kent Ale House... which is hilarious cos it's full of septics into European footy, swearing like pirates at the telly in a wannabe yob manner. Good boozer though, spent a bit of time there when that way a year ago.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Brooklyn bar tips on 21:00 - Sep 30 with 1614 viewsfactual_blue

Brooklyn bar tips on 20:53 - Sep 30 by SpruceMoose

Maybe in the kind of gold plate pension cocktail lounges your sort drinks in, but us commoners are still tipping a buck for a beer

I do not have a gold-plated pension.

I have a solid gold pension with iridium filigree.

Thank you

Brooklyn bar tips on 21:00 - Sep 30 with 1616 viewsDyland

As if Facters has been to NYC. As if Facters has been out of Ixworth come to think of it.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Brooklyn bar tips on 21:07 - Sep 30 with 1606 viewsblueislander

Serious question for those of you fortunate enough to live in Trumpland. Bar and table waiting staff always said to me that their basic wage is so low that they are dependent on tips to make a living wage. Is that true?
Brooklyn bar tips on 21:21 - Sep 30 with 1583 viewsMalcolmBlue

I 100% agree. I was in Williamsburg this time last year, Banter bar was great they even played a Town game when I asked if they had it.

Also if you want a pizza definitely check out Roberta's - they also played NFL on the big screens outside there.

Edit
Just across the bridge there was a great pub with a ton of craft beer called Top Hops. I'd also highly recommend this place.

And Barcade was another cool joint
[Post edited 30 Sep 2019 21:26]

Poll: Is Theresa May the "Paul Hurst" of politics?

Brooklyn bar tips on 21:44 - Sep 30 with 1558 viewsSpruceMoose

Brooklyn bar tips on 21:07 - Sep 30 by blueislander

Serious question for those of you fortunate enough to live in Trumpland. Bar and table waiting staff always said to me that their basic wage is so low that they are dependent on tips to make a living wage. Is that true?

In the main this is true. Occasionally you'll come across a restaurant that specifies that tips are not required as they pay a living wage, but walk into any bar and the hourly rate for the bar person will most likely be shockingly low.

Tips aren't always split fairly among staff either...

Brooklyn bar tips on 22:18 - Sep 30 with 1533 viewsfactual_blue

Brooklyn bar tips on 21:00 - Sep 30 by Dyland

As if Facters has been to NYC. As if Facters has been out of Ixworth come to think of it.

I haven't been outside of Château Factual for five years, let alone Ixworth.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2019 22:18]

Brooklyn bar tips on 22:19 - Sep 30 with 1533 viewsBluespeed225

Williamsburg was old school Jewish when I lived in NY for a while. Changed about 01/2’. Population still have beards though.
Brooklyn bar tips on 22:24 - Sep 30 with 1530 viewsSpruceMoose

Brooklyn bar tips on 22:19 - Sep 30 by Bluespeed225

Williamsburg was old school Jewish when I lived in NY for a while. Changed about 01/2’. Population still have beards though.

Some areas still are. There are separate orthodox 'police' forces, public transport options, and occasionally you'll get reports of non orthodox folk getting the side eye when they're on those areas.

Further north into Williamsburg is trust fund territory though. I think where those two areas meet you get a few issues

Brooklyn bar tips on 23:03 - Sep 30 with 1485 viewsjeera

Brooklyn bar tips on 21:00 - Sep 30 by Dyland

Lies!

I know full well he's at least been to Lavenham.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Brooklyn bar tips on 23:50 - Sep 30 with 1457 viewsfactual_blue

So somewhere around 15% then?

Brooklyn bar tips on 23:51 - Sep 30 with 1457 viewsfactual_blue

Brooklyn bar tips on 23:03 - Sep 30 by jeera

Lies!

I know full well he's at least been to Lavenham.

Regularly.

Brooklyn bar tips on 02:57 - Oct 1 with 1409 viewsIllinoisblue

Brooklyn bar tips on 21:44 - Sep 30 by SpruceMoose

In the main this is true. Occasionally you'll come across a restaurant that specifies that tips are not required as they pay a living wage, but walk into any bar and the hourly rate for the bar person will most likely be shockingly low.

Tips aren't always split fairly among staff either...

I used to work with a girl who was a bartender on just Friday and Saturday nights. Said she could easily make $400 in tips per night. I’m sure Uncle Sam got his slice...

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Brooklyn bar tips on 07:22 - Oct 1 with 1336 viewsWickwar_Blue

Brooklyn bar tips on 20:06 - Sep 30 by SpruceMoose

Used to live on the boarder of Bed-Stuy and Crown Heights. Bed-Stuy covers a fairly large area, where will you be staying?

Feel free to PM me if you want any more in depth ramblings but here are a few places that I used to knock around in:

Black Swan
Mekelburg's
Fulton Ale House
Chilo's
Bed-Vyne Brew
Dynaco

If you head south into Crown Heights the just walk down Franklin Avenue between Dean and Eastern Parkway for the area's best food and drinks. We actually moved from that area as it was getting a bit too lively and young and well, I'm an old git now! One avenue over on Classon Ave you'll find Covenhoven, which is considered one of the best craft beer bars in Brooklyn if that's your bag.

If you're over on the Bushwick side of BS then I have suggestions for that area too.

Like I said, feel free to PM me
[Post edited 30 Sep 2019 20:11]

That’s great feedback - thanks!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024