Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Holy 19:19 - Sep 30 with 4728 viewsWickets

Does he get an assist for our last goal on Saturday ?
Holy on 19:22 - Sep 30 with 3703 viewsSitfcB

Yes

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Holy on 19:23 - Sep 30 with 3692 viewsPJH

Think so, last ITFC player to touch the ball before the goalscorer.
Holy on 19:25 - Sep 30 with 3688 viewsHerbivore

It would seem odd if he does. KVY was nowhere near goal when he picked up the ball and beat three players before scoring. Holy's role in the goal was negligible.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2019 19:29]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Holy on 19:26 - Sep 30 with 3685 viewswkj

Holy on 19:25 - Sep 30 by Herbivore

It would seem odd if he does. KVY was nowhere near goal when he picked up the ball and beat three players before scoring. Holy's role in the goal was negligible.

He'll score for us next game, you watch

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Holy on 19:29 - Sep 30 with 3671 viewsHerbivore

Holy on 19:26 - Sep 30 by wkj

He'll score for us next game, you watch

He can kick it far enough.

Holy on 19:45 - Sep 30 with 3627 viewsSomethingBlue

Holy on 19:25 - Sep 30 by Herbivore

The rules are that he does. Tbf he saw the player in space and fed him accurately rather than going for the long knock everyone else was ready for, so props for that.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Holy on 19:47 - Sep 30 with 3605 viewsHerbivore

Holy on 19:45 - Sep 30 by SomethingBlue

The rules are that he does. Tbf he saw the player in space and fed him accurately rather than going for the long knock everyone else was ready for, so props for that.

For sure, I just find the idea that he set up KVY's goal a bit odd. KVY set up the goal by running 40 yards and skinning three players.

Holy on 19:58 - Sep 30 with 3581 viewsBlueinBrum

Holy on 19:47 - Sep 30 by Herbivore

For sure, I just find the idea that he set up KVY's goal a bit odd. KVY set up the goal by running 40 yards and skinning three players.

If it were Fantasy Football he'd get the assist
Login to get fewer ads

Holy on 21:30 - Sep 30 with 3478 viewsSWGF

Same way Skuse got himself four or five the season Lawrence was here. Passed 2yds square and watched him lash it in from 30yds!

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Holy on 21:32 - Sep 30 with 3465 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Holy on 19:58 - Sep 30 by BlueinBrum

If it were Fantasy Football he'd get the assist

I think he should too.

Of course KVY did a lot more for it to end in a goal but Holy saw KVY call for the ball to be played into that space and made the right decision to do so before playing it with the correct pace for him to pick it up.

Assists are very variable from when the player has virtually scored the goal themselves only for someone else to get the final touch through to a completely mishit pass that ends up with someone on the end of it scoring.

I prefer the more subjective key contribution that allows someone who wasn't the last player to touch the ball before the goal scorer to be recognised.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Holy on 03:59 - Oct 1 with 3295 viewshorsehollerer

Holy on 21:32 - Sep 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think he should too.

Of course KVY did a lot more for it to end in a goal but Holy saw KVY call for the ball to be played into that space and made the right decision to do so before playing it with the correct pace for him to pick it up.

Assists are very variable from when the player has virtually scored the goal themselves only for someone else to get the final touch through to a completely mishit pass that ends up with someone on the end of it scoring.

I prefer the more subjective key contribution that allows someone who wasn't the last player to touch the ball before the goal scorer to be recognised.

KVY points to where he wants Holy to play it, and starts off just before the ball is kicked.

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

Holy on 06:43 - Oct 1 with 3236 viewsITFC_Forever

Of course he should. He passed it to KVY who went on and scored.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Holy on 07:52 - Oct 1 with 3197 viewsHerbivore

Holy on 06:43 - Oct 1 by ITFC_Forever

Of course he should. He passed it to KVY who went on and scored.

I seem to be in a minority of one on this issue, not that I care, but for me if we're calling that an assist then the term has lost all meaning. All of the descriptions of the goal are of it being a solo effort, a brilliant individual goal. They're not saying KVY was teed up for his goal by Tomas Holy and rightly so. The ball travels 40-50 yards after Holy's pass has been completed and is touched a further 5 times before a shot is taken. It's a real distortion to say he set up the goal in any meaningful sense. Good on him for picking out KVY in space near the halfway line, but that does not become a chance for KVY until 40 yards of running and 5 touches later. If people want to say it's technically an assist for a couple of fantasy football points then fair enough but I prefer common sense usage of terms.

Holy on 08:22 - Oct 1 with 3164 viewsBluebell

Holy on 03:59 - Oct 1 by horsehollerer

KVY points to where he wants Holy to play it, and starts off just before the ball is kicked.

I have often wondered why the keeper doesn’t use the wingers more often instead of hoofing up the pitch. Very often there are players standing alone when all the others are in the middle waiting for the ball.

Of course that doesn’t mean they could be as talented as KVY when it comes to getting past 3 men but it would at least be in Town’s control rather than being hoofed up to be collected by the opposing keeper or players.
Holy on 08:24 - Oct 1 with 3165 viewsitfcjoe

Holy on 07:52 - Oct 1 by Herbivore

I seem to be in a minority of one on this issue, not that I care, but for me if we're calling that an assist then the term has lost all meaning. All of the descriptions of the goal are of it being a solo effort, a brilliant individual goal. They're not saying KVY was teed up for his goal by Tomas Holy and rightly so. The ball travels 40-50 yards after Holy's pass has been completed and is touched a further 5 times before a shot is taken. It's a real distortion to say he set up the goal in any meaningful sense. Good on him for picking out KVY in space near the halfway line, but that does not become a chance for KVY until 40 yards of running and 5 touches later. If people want to say it's technically an assist for a couple of fantasy football points then fair enough but I prefer common sense usage of terms.

Assists are terrible measures of output.

Holy will get one for this, but in that game last year where Judge took down a long goal kick, beat a man and fired a perfect cross for Nolan on the break but JN couldn't get it on target there is nothing for.

Same as Dozzell's through ball for Norwood v AFC Wimbledon.

There are other better measures, but assists is the one that is more easily quoted and used to put down players like Judge and don't really tell the full story

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Holy on 08:26 - Oct 1 with 3160 viewsNthQldITFC

Yes, but then 'assists' are a load of meaningless tosh, insomuch as there must be one and only one 'assistor' per goal in this anally-retentive world of Sky Sports modern football, stats for this, stats for that, rant, rant, rant.... fades away.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Holy on 08:31 - Oct 1 with 3150 viewsHerbivore

Holy on 08:24 - Oct 1 by itfcjoe

Holy will get one for this, but in that game last year where Judge took down a long goal kick, beat a man and fired a perfect cross for Nolan on the break but JN couldn't get it on target there is nothing for.

There are other better measures, but assists is the one that is more easily quoted and used to put down players like Judge and don't really tell the full story

Assists are only one measure by which Judge has been disappointing in fairness. Goals, assists and overall impact I'd say are probably the big three.

Agree with the overall point that assists aren't that useful, especially if we're saying it's an assist when it's a pass to someone on halfway who then goes on a blinding solo run to score.

Holy on 08:54 - Oct 1 with 3119 viewsDanTheMan

Holy on 08:26 - Oct 1 by NthQldITFC

Yes, but then 'assists' are a load of meaningless tosh, insomuch as there must be one and only one 'assistor' per goal in this anally-retentive world of Sky Sports modern football, stats for this, stats for that, rant, rant, rant.... fades away.

In Opta, those are counted as "second assist".

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Holy on 08:59 - Oct 1 with 3102 viewsHerbivore

Holy on 08:54 - Oct 1 by DanTheMan

In Opta, those are counted as "second assist".

Ffs.

Holy on 09:01 - Oct 1 with 3103 viewsTractorJack

Holy on 08:24 - Oct 1 by itfcjoe

Judge and Dozzell will have good numbers on xA for those two chances.
Holy on 09:06 - Oct 1 with 3091 viewsTractorJack

The fact is though that assists are still a good way of identifying good players. It doesn't matter that 1 out of every 100 or so gets credited to a GK.
Holy on 09:35 - Oct 1 with 3035 viewsWickets

Holy on 21:30 - Sep 30 by SWGF

Same way Skuse got himself four or five the season Lawrence was here. Passed 2yds square and watched him lash it in from 30yds!

Tom should have stuck to doing just that .
Holy on 13:44 - Oct 1 with 2905 viewsBrixtonBlue

Holy on 07:52 - Oct 1 by Herbivore

I came into this thread thinking it was Holy's assist, but you've won me round with your argument. Holy didn't really assist with the goal being scored, he assisted with the ball moving up the pitch.

His pass wasn't even that accurate, as KVY jokes himself in his post-match interview. It was over-hit.

If that's an assist then you could say the same about a player who falls over taking a throw-on by our corner flag, the ball flukily trickles to someone else, who goes on a mazy run up the pitch and buries it.

"Assist" should mean "having some bearing on the goal" not "last person to touch the ball."

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Holy on 14:30 - Oct 1 with 2868 viewsTractorJack

Holy on 13:44 - Oct 1 by BrixtonBlue

I came into this thread thinking it was Holy's assist, but you've won me round with your argument. Holy didn't really assist with the goal being scored, he assisted with the ball moving up the pitch.

His pass wasn't even that accurate, as KVY jokes himself in his post-match interview. It was over-hit.

If that's an assist then you could say the same about a player who falls over taking a throw-on by our corner flag, the ball flukily trickles to someone else, who goes on a mazy run up the pitch and buries it.

"Assist" should mean "having some bearing on the goal" not "last person to touch the ball."

Then you're adding subjectivity to the measure which is not good for data collection.
Holy on 14:32 - Oct 1 with 2861 viewsHerbivore

Holy on 14:30 - Oct 1 by TractorJack

Then you're adding subjectivity to the measure which is not good for data collection.

Or, you know, he's being a fan applying some common sense.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024