Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who could have guessed... 10:27 - Oct 1 with 1966 viewschicoazul

...that building schools open-plan is very stupid?

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/two-academies-get-7m-to-go-back-to-the-wall/

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Who could have guessed... on 10:30 - Oct 1 with 1516 viewsSteve_M

Who would have thought that letting people with no experience of education run schools would produce idiotic decisions like the original one here?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Who could have guessed... on 10:31 - Oct 1 with 1504 viewsfooters

Still, all these Academies are doing well, aren't they?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Who could have guessed... on 10:31 - Oct 1 with 1504 viewsBrianTablet

Who could have guessed... on 10:30 - Oct 1 by Steve_M

Who would have thought that letting people with no experience of education run schools would produce idiotic decisions like the original one here?

Michael Gove's mum?

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Who could have guessed... on 10:31 - Oct 1 with 1499 viewsfooters

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Who could have guessed... on 10:33 - Oct 1 with 1494 viewschicoazul

I dont thiiink letting people with no experience of education "run" schools is necessarily bad, as long as they basically stay out of the teachers' way.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Who could have guessed... on 10:38 - Oct 1 with 1460 viewsSteve_M

Who could have guessed... on 10:33 - Oct 1 by chicoazul

I dont thiiink letting people with no experience of education "run" schools is necessarily bad, as long as they basically stay out of the teachers' way.

Almost be definition, those who want to run schools will think they know best.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Who could have guessed... on 10:44 - Oct 1 with 1437 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Everyone has experience of education...

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Who could have guessed... on 11:04 - Oct 1 with 1401 viewsITFC_Forever

Good job my old school aren't planning anything so daft. Oh.

Gone will be the old-fashioned dark corridors of years past, replaced by an open-plan single building across three floors with 30 new classrooms including science laboratories, an ICT room, four rooms for music, art and drama and five design and technology rooms, as well as a large assembly hall.

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ormiston-endeavour-academy-ipswich-suffolk-ne

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

Who could have guessed... on 11:11 - Oct 1 with 1383 viewschicoazul

Who could have guessed... on 11:04 - Oct 1 by ITFC_Forever

Good job my old school aren't planning anything so daft. Oh.

Gone will be the old-fashioned dark corridors of years past, replaced by an open-plan single building across three floors with 30 new classrooms including science laboratories, an ICT room, four rooms for music, art and drama and five design and technology rooms, as well as a large assembly hall.

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ormiston-endeavour-academy-ipswich-suffolk-ne

What an ugly awful stupid sh!tshow.

Who could have guessed... on 11:13 - Oct 1 with 1379 viewsgiant_stow

Have you seen the open plan bogs that seem to be popular in newly built schools? They're basically like little open cupboards off corridors, supposedly to reduce opportunities for bullies to do their thing out of sight. Could be a good thing, but if I was a kid in a school like that, I'd never ever do a sh1t in one - if it was noisy, the whole school might hear my doings.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Who could have guessed... on 11:15 - Oct 1 with 1372 viewshomer_123

I wonder how it was actually implemented though?

There is definitely space (pardon the pun) for breakout areas, open plan spaces where there is room for groups of pupils/ students to collaborate, share ideas, work differently, as well as the more traditional classroom based learning.

Open plan isn't bad as such, you need to use it wisely.

I certainly wouldn't advocate an entire school being open plan though.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Who could have guessed... on 11:19 - Oct 1 with 1355 viewschicoazul

Who could have guessed... on 11:15 - Oct 1 by homer_123

I wonder how it was actually implemented though?

There is definitely space (pardon the pun) for breakout areas, open plan spaces where there is room for groups of pupils/ students to collaborate, share ideas, work differently, as well as the more traditional classroom based learning.

Open plan isn't bad as such, you need to use it wisely.

I certainly wouldn't advocate an entire school being open plan though.

It was entirely an open-plan learning space with 15 "classrooms" that had up to 90, yes 90, kids in each.

Who could have guessed... on 11:25 - Oct 1 with 1337 viewshampstead_blue

Who could have guessed... on 10:33 - Oct 1 by chicoazul

you need disruption in every sector to encourage growth and innovation.

The fact that it didn't work and they've identified the problem and are changing it is great news.

If you retain the status quo the same three chords just go round, and around.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Who could have guessed... on 12:48 - Oct 1 with 1271 viewsIllinoisblue

It can work and does work. Both my kids went to/go to an elementary (primary) school over here which is open plan. It was built in the 1970s. No walls anywhere except for the art room. This school has the best test scores of all the elementary schools in the district and when kids move up to middle school , the middle school teachers can generally tell which kids went to the open plan school because they’re better behaved and better listeners than other kids.

* Obviously there are other Socioeconomic factors at play here; it’s not just an open plan building which makes things work.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Who could have guessed... on 13:19 - Oct 1 with 1225 viewsHerbivore

Who could have guessed... on 10:44 - Oct 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'm not sure this is true reading this forum.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Who could have guessed... on 14:08 - Oct 1 with 1184 viewsDarth_Koont

Who could have guessed... on 10:44 - Oct 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

Yes, as users.

We also have experience of cars and computers, for example. Doesn't make any of us car or IT designers/engineers.

Edit: Thinking about it, you probably meant this.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 14:10]

Pronouns: He/Him

Who could have guessed... on 14:25 - Oct 1 with 1163 viewsGaryCooper

Who could have guessed... on 13:19 - Oct 1 by Herbivore

I'm not sure this is true reading this forum.

Yes you are correct, this forum does a predominance of left wingers.
Who could have guessed... on 14:31 - Oct 1 with 1149 viewsHerbivore

Who could have guessed... on 14:25 - Oct 1 by GaryCooper

It's well known that those on the left are generally more well educated than those on the right. The inferiority complex that results is one of the drivers behind the right's sometimes quite nasty and selfish world view.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 14:32]

Who could have guessed... on 14:32 - Oct 1 with 1139 viewsDarth_Koont

Who could have guessed... on 14:25 - Oct 1 by GaryCooper

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0956797611421206

Pronouns: He/Him

Who could have guessed... on 14:47 - Oct 1 with 1118 viewsHerbivore

Who could have guessed... on 14:31 - Oct 1 by Herbivore

It's well known that those on the left are generally more well educated than those on the right. The inferiority complex that results is one of the drivers behind the right's sometimes quite nasty and selfish world view.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 14:32]

Paz is back, proving my point for me. How you been, Pazzer lad?

Who could have guessed... on 16:10 - Oct 1 with 1070 viewschicoazul

Who could have guessed... on 12:48 - Oct 1 by Illinoisblue

It can work and does work. Both my kids went to/go to an elementary (primary) school over here which is open plan. It was built in the 1970s. No walls anywhere except for the art room. This school has the best test scores of all the elementary schools in the district and when kids move up to middle school , the middle school teachers can generally tell which kids went to the open plan school because they’re better behaved and better listeners than other kids.

* Obviously there are other Socioeconomic factors at play here; it’s not just an open plan building which makes things work.

Interesting thanks. Wonder what the difference factor is over there..?

Who could have guessed... on 16:14 - Oct 1 with 1054 viewsBlueBadger

Who could have guessed... on 11:25 - Oct 1 by hampstead_blue

you need disruption in every sector to encourage growth and innovation.

The fact that it didn't work and they've identified the problem and are changing it is great news.

If you retain the status quo the same three chords just go round, and around.

Status Quo have sustained a successful 50-odd year career though....

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Who could have guessed... on 16:32 - Oct 1 with 1040 viewsBlueBadger

Ah, the Efficient Private Sector. Yet again delivering improved outcomes at lower cost to the taxpayer.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Who could have guessed... on 16:35 - Oct 1 with 1030 viewsClapham_Junction

Who could have guessed... on 16:10 - Oct 1 by chicoazul

It might be the difference between it being a primary school and a secondary school, or just how they've used the open plan space.

The primary school in Great Waldingfield was open plan when I was there (you could freely walk between the classes), but there was enough space between them that you rarely heard the one next door.
Who could have guessed... on 16:35 - Oct 1 with 1031 viewsIllinoisblue

Who could have guessed... on 16:10 - Oct 1 by chicoazul

there are so many variables at play, but in this case the headteacher is absolutely fantastic; he sets the tone for everything. He is involved in everything at the school; has lunch with the kids every day, takes part in gym, sends out weekly notes, etc. Kids and parents absolutely love him. So that, obviously, helps a lot.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024