Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? 11:35 - Oct 2 with 35372 viewsBrixtonBlue

Yes, I'm bored at work.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:19 - Oct 2 with 1387 viewssparks

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 15:00 - Oct 2 by wkj

Because the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and god almighty blesses each and every one of us a soul which we possess forever. Our memories are not stored in our body, but in our spirit, and when we arrive in the kingdom of heaven, so too does our memories.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2019 15:01]

Which memories do we arrive with?

The ones of dying? Pain, fear, horror? How about when we suffer dementia or udnergo personality change following brain injury. Which version ends up in heaven?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:21 - Oct 2 with 1383 viewsSpruceMoose

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:19 - Oct 2 by sparks

The ones of dying? Pain, fear, horror? How about when we suffer dementia or udnergo personality change following brain injury. Which version ends up in heaven?

The ones they'd show on an episode of 'This Is Your Life' I reckon.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 18:11 - Oct 2 with 1364 viewsfactual_blue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 15:13 - Oct 2 by footers

More impressive than God? Wow.

I think you'll find the human mind made Him/Her/It/Them up too.

Even the bit about Him/Her/It/Them moving in mysterious ways.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 18:20 - Oct 2 with 1354 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Let's every one of us be sure to get out there and 'make some memories!'

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 18:36 - Oct 2 with 1346 viewsNthsuffolkblue

How do computers work and how does memory work within them and devices?

I think the answers are probably similar except within living beings there are more chemical changes and it is much more efficient in terms of space to information stored ratio.

This, to me, is one of the clear indications of design within living beings.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 18:39 - Oct 2 with 1344 viewssparks

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 18:36 - Oct 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think the answers are probably similar except within living beings there are more chemical changes and it is much more efficient in terms of space to information stored ratio.

Your final sentence is about as fallacious as it gets.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 18:44 - Oct 2 with 1338 viewsSpruceMoose

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 18:36 - Oct 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

You were doing so well until that final sentence.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 18:48 - Oct 2 with 1333 viewsNthsuffolkblue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 18:44 - Oct 2 by SpruceMoose

You were doing so well until that final sentence.

Except the only reason to discount it is because you have already concluded there is no God so therefore there cannot be a designer.

If you were to find a fully working computer or similarly complex machine you would never think it had come about completely by chance even if it had billions of years to do so.

My conclusion is that it is strong evidence there is a designer. Your and Sparks' conclusions are there is no designer so it cannot be evidence for one.

I know which way round is fallacious in my mind and I know it is futile arguing with either of you on it but neither of you can explain how it is not evidence of design.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 18:54 - Oct 2 with 1330 viewssparks

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 18:48 - Oct 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

Except the only reason to discount it is because you have already concluded there is no God so therefore there cannot be a designer.

If you were to find a fully working computer or similarly complex machine you would never think it had come about completely by chance even if it had billions of years to do so.

My conclusion is that it is strong evidence there is a designer. Your and Sparks' conclusions are there is no designer so it cannot be evidence for one.

I know which way round is fallacious in my mind and I know it is futile arguing with either of you on it but neither of you can explain how it is not evidence of design.

"Except the only reason to discount it is because you have already concluded there is no God so therefore there cannot be a designer."

Nope- I work on evidence. There is no evidence for design, and stacks of evidence for evolution.

What is your evidence for design? We have lots of evidence showing how we developed. Even today there was a fascinating article on the BBC site about scientists having discovered that humans grow lizard type muscles in the womb at very early stages, which disappear later.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 18:57 - Oct 2 with 1327 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 18:54 - Oct 2 by sparks

"Except the only reason to discount it is because you have already concluded there is no God so therefore there cannot be a designer."

Nope- I work on evidence. There is no evidence for design, and stacks of evidence for evolution.

What is your evidence for design? We have lots of evidence showing how we developed. Even today there was a fascinating article on the BBC site about scientists having discovered that humans grow lizard type muscles in the womb at very early stages, which disappear later.

David Ike is God.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 19:03 - Oct 2 with 1320 viewswkj

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:19 - Oct 2 by sparks

Worse, probably all brexit related ones.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 19:21 - Oct 2 with 1313 viewsSpruceMoose

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 18:48 - Oct 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

I don't even know how to combat this level of silliness. If you genuinely think that then you're beyond reason. Your conclusion makes no sense whatsoever considering everything else you have written.

[Post edited 2 Oct 2019 19:24]

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 19:39 - Oct 2 with 1290 viewsSwansea_Blue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 15:00 - Oct 2 by wkj

Because the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and god almighty blesses each and every one of us a soul which we possess forever. Our memories are not stored in our body, but in our spirit, and when we arrive in the kingdom of heaven, so too does our memories.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2019 15:01]

Wrong login Sparks

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 19:49 - Oct 2 with 1281 viewsOldsmoker

Well done everybody for not mentioning the Matrix.
Those agents are always listening.
You don't want to do anything to catch their attention.
Gotta go - there's a knock at the door.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 20:49 - Oct 2 with 1257 viewsStokieBlue

I don't even know where to start with that.

Maybe I'll try later. I will say your last sentence it total bobbins.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 20:50 - Oct 2 with 1254 viewsStokieBlue

Fundamental misunderstanding of evolution: check.

I might tackle it later but look up Boltzman brains, it shows your argument to be fallacious.

SB
[Post edited 2 Oct 2019 20:52]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 22:22 - Oct 2 with 1227 viewsvapour_trail

Isn’t the dementia self, just an unconstructed version of the more society ready self?

That was clearly the case with my old man anyway .

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 00:10 - Oct 3 with 1182 viewsBrixtonBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 18:54 - Oct 2 by sparks

Why does evolution preclude design? Why can evolution not be designed?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 00:13 - Oct 3 with 1181 viewsSpruceMoose

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 00:10 - Oct 3 by BrixtonBlue

Why does evolution preclude design? Why can evolution not be designed?

If you stick those two questions into Google you'll get some great, concise arguments. This isn't really cutting edge stuff, these questions have been answered time and time again. It's actually pretty interesting if you do a little digging - easy to go down an internetting wormhole!
[Post edited 3 Oct 2019 0:16]

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 00:44 - Oct 3 with 1172 viewsBrixtonBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 00:13 - Oct 3 by SpruceMoose

If you stick those two questions into Google you'll get some great, concise arguments. This isn't really cutting edge stuff, these questions have been answered time and time again. It's actually pretty interesting if you do a little digging - easy to go down an internetting wormhole!
[Post edited 3 Oct 2019 0:16]

I bought a book called "A Universe From Nothing" after recommendation on here. Yeah, it showed (sort of) that something can technically come from nothing. It still didn't explain why.

I expect a google of evolution wouldn't answer the why bit either.

I studied philosophy at university. The truth is we simply don't know. I don't know why people get so angry about it.

What we have now is too incredible to just be random and for no reason.I know this will anger some who say "it just happened and the reason this stuff is here is because it didn't die out, and nothing more"

It doesn't explain the source, or why survival happens, or why it does in so many forms, or why YOU have your consciousness etc, etc.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 01:20 - Oct 3 with 1164 viewsRyorry

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 00:44 - Oct 3 by BrixtonBlue

I bought a book called "A Universe From Nothing" after recommendation on here. Yeah, it showed (sort of) that something can technically come from nothing. It still didn't explain why.

I studied philosophy at university. The truth is we simply don't know. I don't know why people get so angry about it.

What we have now is too incredible to just be random and for no reason.I know this will anger some who say "it just happened and the reason this stuff is here is because it didn't die out, and nothing more"

It doesn't explain the source, or why survival happens, or why it does in so many forms, or why YOU have your consciousness etc, etc.

I'm not particularly well read in this, but think quite a few scientists (including Oppenheimer) gave/give more than a passing credence to religion.

I think it's a mistake to say that everything is clear cut, or cut and dried, as 1) it shuts us off from being receptive/open to new stuff and 2) new stuff is emerging all the time, as science & technology are being developed & advanced.

I keep coming back to how, eg, 100 years ago, anyone suggesting we could send moving images of live events around the whole world within a couple of seconds would have been locked up.

I'm not conventionally religious, but am awestuck almost daily by the sheer complexity & genius of plants & animals - e.g., my new Virginia Creeper tendrils "knowing" how to wind themselves round the bit of trellis provided, or stick themselves to my house walls without any assistance where there's no trellis. I know the theory of evolution of course, but as you say, the whys and wherefores of how very simple organisms evolved, the delicate balance of forces, materials, relationships, conditions, how & from where the sex drive to enable reproduction came about, etc etc etc really doesn't seem particularly well explained.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 05:57 - Oct 3 with 1134 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 01:20 - Oct 3 by Ryorry

I'm not particularly well read in this, but think quite a few scientists (including Oppenheimer) gave/give more than a passing credence to religion.

I think it's a mistake to say that everything is clear cut, or cut and dried, as 1) it shuts us off from being receptive/open to new stuff and 2) new stuff is emerging all the time, as science & technology are being developed & advanced.

I keep coming back to how, eg, 100 years ago, anyone suggesting we could send moving images of live events around the whole world within a couple of seconds would have been locked up.

I'm not conventionally religious, but am awestuck almost daily by the sheer complexity & genius of plants & animals - e.g., my new Virginia Creeper tendrils "knowing" how to wind themselves round the bit of trellis provided, or stick themselves to my house walls without any assistance where there's no trellis. I know the theory of evolution of course, but as you say, the whys and wherefores of how very simple organisms evolved, the delicate balance of forces, materials, relationships, conditions, how & from where the sex drive to enable reproduction came about, etc etc etc really doesn't seem particularly well explained.

Agree.

I find those who "know" there is a God almost as baffling as those who are certain there isn't.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2019 6:11]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 07:17 - Oct 3 with 1105 viewssparks

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 00:44 - Oct 3 by BrixtonBlue

The correct answer is that we don't know. When that becomes 'we don't know therefore supernatural' without any evidence, that is an argument from ignorance fallacy.

We do know how survival happens, and it seems very likely that consciousness is an emergent property if the increasingly complex brain.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 07:20 - Oct 3 with 1104 viewssparks

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 01:20 - Oct 3 by Ryorry

Most of that save for actual origin or abiogenesis is pretty well explained.

Importantly though, there are relatively few people who claim to KNOW that there is no god our similar entity, that's rarely the position people take.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 07:56 - Oct 3 with 1082 viewsdickie

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 07:17 - Oct 3 by sparks

The correct answer is that we don't know. When that becomes 'we don't know therefore supernatural' without any evidence, that is an argument from ignorance fallacy.

We do know how survival happens, and it seems very likely that consciousness is an emergent property if the increasingly complex brain.

Have you never read His Dark Materials? We know consciousness comes from Dust
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024