Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? 11:35 - Oct 2 with 35376 viewsBrixtonBlue

Yes, I'm bored at work.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 13:02 - Oct 3 with 1157 viewsPJH

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:43 - Oct 3 by footers

I think it's answered mine, too, but I can't remember.

The particularly strange thing is that my memories of season 1961/62 seem to be almost exclusively in black and white.
How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:35 - Oct 3 with 1095 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:08 - Oct 3 by StokieBlue

Their knowledge is limited in your opinion but still vastly larger than yours on the subject. Given this it's strange to me that you dismiss their knowledge and instead go with your own "experiences".

If you have a plumber round do you ignore they advice and just give it a go yourself based on your own experiences?

As for not having a theory - perhaps it's best not to go around dismissing the theories of experts in the fields if you don't have anything to contribute yourself.

SB

You do this so often. I simply say something simple like "I don't assume memories are stored in the brain" and after a couple of pages you're coming out with stuff like:

"perhaps it's best not to go around dismissing the theories of experts in the fields if you don't have anything to contribute yourself. " and

"Why don't you actually put forward your theory rather than always attempting to pick holes and sow the seeds of doubt with regards to hard earned scientific knowledge?" and

"You are contributing to the erosion of trust in science and experts."

I haven't dismissed anyone's theories. Why do you overreact so dramatically and so frequently?

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:36 - Oct 3 with 1092 viewsSpruceMoose

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:35 - Oct 3 by caught-in-limbo

You do this so often. I simply say something simple like "I don't assume memories are stored in the brain" and after a couple of pages you're coming out with stuff like:

"perhaps it's best not to go around dismissing the theories of experts in the fields if you don't have anything to contribute yourself. " and

"Why don't you actually put forward your theory rather than always attempting to pick holes and sow the seeds of doubt with regards to hard earned scientific knowledge?" and

I haven't dismissed anyone's theories. Why do you overreact so dramatically and so frequently?

Probably because everything you say on here is designed to get that response out of someone or other.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:45 - Oct 3 with 1085 viewsBackToRussia

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:35 - Oct 3 by caught-in-limbo

You said you find it unbelievable the brain is responsible for memory. How much closer to outright dismissal do you want?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:47 - Oct 3 with 1078 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:36 - Oct 3 by SpruceMoose

Probably because everything you say on here is designed to get that response out of someone or other.

Well, it's seems that there are about 5 or 6 people on this site who don't want anyone stepping out of line when it comes to conformity of thought. I don't deny anyone's right to disagree with me, but "You are contributing to the erosion of trust in science and experts." is all a bit over the top isn't it?

#toxic

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:49 - Oct 3 with 1078 viewseireblue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:36 - Oct 3 by SpruceMoose

Hmmm, I also see CIL is doing the selective copy and paste thing.

“I generally form my own opinions based on my own experiences, wide reading and culture than just automatically accepting the word of "experts" whose knowledge on this topic is very limited”

I guess wisdom is forgetful, probably can’t connect to reason external drive.
How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:49 - Oct 3 with 1077 viewsSpruceMoose

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:47 - Oct 3 by caught-in-limbo

Well, it's seems that there are about 5 or 6 people on this site who don't want anyone stepping out of line when it comes to conformity of thought. I don't deny anyone's right to disagree with me, but "You are contributing to the erosion of trust in science and experts." is all a bit over the top isn't it?

Nah, not really. Only you when you go running to Phil when you hear a few truths you don't much care for.

Anyway, you're only on here to get those kind of comments. I can only imagine that it makes you feel special. Pretty weird really. Good to know you don't deny me my right to think that though.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2019 18:04]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:53 - Oct 3 with 1071 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:45 - Oct 3 by BackToRussia

You said you find it unbelievable the brain is responsible for memory. How much closer to outright dismissal do you want?

I find it unbelievable that Norwich are two leagues higher than us. It's a figure of speech. There was a reason why I included the word "assume" in my comment... I repeated that word in two subsequent posts.

#toxic

Login to get fewer ads

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:54 - Oct 3 with 1069 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:49 - Oct 3 by eireblue

Hmmm, I also see CIL is doing the selective copy and paste thing.

“I generally form my own opinions based on my own experiences, wide reading and culture than just automatically accepting the word of "experts" whose knowledge on this topic is very limited”

I guess wisdom is forgetful, probably can’t connect to reason external drive.

you've lost me

#toxic

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:56 - Oct 3 with 1063 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:49 - Oct 3 by SpruceMoose

Nah, not really. Only you when you go running to Phil when you hear a few truths you don't much care for.

Anyway, you're only on here to get those kind of comments. I can only imagine that it makes you feel special. Pretty weird really. Good to know you don't deny me my right to think that though.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2019 18:04]

That's it: You "imagine" so much, but you're usually wrong about me.

I actually think you have a bit of an inferiority complex going on.

#toxic

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:59 - Oct 3 with 1063 viewsBackToRussia

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:53 - Oct 3 by caught-in-limbo

I find it unbelievable that Norwich are two leagues higher than us. It's a figure of speech. There was a reason why I included the word "assume" in my comment... I repeated that word in two subsequent posts.

But you're also unable to really say why you think the brain isn't responsible for memory, except that scientists can't explain every single aspect of how memory functions. You're also unable to put forward any other hypothesis at all, almost as if you're a contrarian who gets off on going against accepted opinion because you think you're smarter than everyone else.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:59 - Oct 3 with 1062 viewssparks

No one assumes they are stored in the brain. Or at least very few people who have ever thought about it. We know that it is overwhelmingly likely, because it has been extensively studied, and because no viable alternative has even begun to be demonstrated. Its how evidence works.

It really is troubling to see how many people are instantly drawn to the position of doubting and opposing things which are clearly evidenced, in favour of alternative hypotheses for which there is not a shred of justificaiton.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 18:01 - Oct 3 with 1055 viewseireblue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:54 - Oct 3 by caught-in-limbo

you've lost me

The other operative that uses the CIL login shared some preferred pronouns.

Hmmm, or maybe also forgotten.

With such forgetfulness must be difficult to know if your opinions are based on something or nothing.
How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 18:01 - Oct 3 with 1054 viewssparks

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:47 - Oct 3 by caught-in-limbo

This is such a cheap line of argument. I'd like to think you know it- but fear that you actually have so little ability left to apply rationality, that you genuinely believe it.

There is a massive difference between "conformity of thought" or not being open to ideas, and to readily and routinely propogating completely unfounded nonsense in preference for things which are clearly evidenced.

Its why kids are dying from measles.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 18:01 - Oct 3 with 1053 viewsSpruceMoose

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:56 - Oct 3 by caught-in-limbo

That's it: You "imagine" so much, but you're usually wrong about me.

I actually think you have a bit of an inferiority complex going on.

More projection from the face of the Dunning Kruger effect. I wouldn't care so much, but you're just so dull along with it.

Anyway, look at all the shrugs I give. Toodles!

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 18:04 - Oct 3 with 1047 viewsfooters

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 13:02 - Oct 3 by PJH

The particularly strange thing is that my memories of season 1961/62 seem to be almost exclusively in black and white.

My recollection of the Minstrel Show is more or less the same.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 20:57 - Oct 3 with 1010 viewsRyorry

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:19 - Oct 2 by sparks

Which memories do we arrive with?

The ones of dying? Pain, fear, horror? How about when we suffer dementia or udnergo personality change following brain injury. Which version ends up in heaven?

"Which memories do we arrive with?

The ones of dying? Pain, fear, horror?"

Aren't those instincts rather than memories? A hugely fascinating area - when discussion of so called "inherited memory" was a hot topic some years back, I always felt people really just meant "instinct" when referring to it - e.g. how/why do Border Collie pups start rounding up animals at just a few weeks old when they've never seen it being done?

It's also fascinating to ponder how/why we were given feelings and emotions - I mean love, sadness, etc etc aren't really necessary to life - animals could just robotically eat, move on etc etc. Nor has science yet satisfactorily explained animals' need to sleep - yes repair happens then, but again, wouldn't we and other animals be better off with replaceable parts?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 21:03 - Oct 3 with 1005 viewssparks

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 20:57 - Oct 3 by Ryorry

"Which memories do we arrive with?

The ones of dying? Pain, fear, horror?"

Aren't those instincts rather than memories? A hugely fascinating area - when discussion of so called "inherited memory" was a hot topic some years back, I always felt people really just meant "instinct" when referring to it - e.g. how/why do Border Collie pups start rounding up animals at just a few weeks old when they've never seen it being done?

It's also fascinating to ponder how/why we were given feelings and emotions - I mean love, sadness, etc etc aren't really necessary to life - animals could just robotically eat, move on etc etc. Nor has science yet satisfactorily explained animals' need to sleep - yes repair happens then, but again, wouldn't we and other animals be better off with replaceable parts?

All sorts of interesting stuff- much of it explained in part or more by science. "Why we are *given" emotions etc" is begging the question- its fallacious. There are entirely valid and logical explanations for it all offered by biologists who understand evolution and social species.

We all have memories of fear, pain, loss.

If heaven is perfect, do we lose all those unpleasant memories? Do we lose the emotions that make us, us? If so- what sort of deity actually fundamentally messes with our very essence and personalioty without our consent?
[Post edited 3 Oct 2019 21:09]

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 21:11 - Oct 3 with 995 viewsPJH

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 21:03 - Oct 3 by sparks

All sorts of interesting stuff- much of it explained in part or more by science. "Why we are *given" emotions etc" is begging the question- its fallacious. There are entirely valid and logical explanations for it all offered by biologists who understand evolution and social species.

If heaven is perfect, do we lose all those unpleasant memories? Do we lose the emotions that make us, us? If so- what sort of deity actually fundamentally messes with our very essence and personalioty without our consent?

All this because Dolly was bored at work at 1135 yesterday morning and even that was apparently sparked(not a reference to your user name) by me pointing out that the second "goal" on the video from April 28th 1962 that I linked on another thread is in fact NOT the second goal.
How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 21:23 - Oct 3 with 987 viewsRyorry

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 21:03 - Oct 3 by sparks

"We all have memories of fear, pain, loss."

But you'd asked what memories we arrive with, so I was referring to new-borns in my previous post.

Pretty sure there's no such thing as "heaven"! and that it's just a human construct which varies from individudal to individual according to whatever loves, likes, happinesses etc are their favourite thing, and which we like to dream about as as a way of managing the pain of everyday life. Some might say that a deity's kindly constructed us thus with that escape route to help us! but I've never been able to get my head round a "kindly" god creating horrible diseases, warfaring humankind, and kids dying horribly.

Some of the convo in this thread hinges on how you define "god"; to me the miracle of our natural world is "it", but there is still so much that's unexplained - how or why animals acquired a sex drive, or any need for reproduction even exists, e.g.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 21:32 - Oct 3 with 982 viewssparks

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 21:23 - Oct 3 by Ryorry

But you'd asked what memories we arrive with, so I was referring to new-borns in my previous post.

Pretty sure there's no such thing as "heaven"! and that it's just a human construct which varies from individudal to individual according to whatever loves, likes, happinesses etc are their favourite thing, and which we like to dream about as as a way of managing the pain of everyday life. Some might say that a deity's kindly constructed us thus with that escape route to help us! but I've never been able to get my head round a "kindly" god creating horrible diseases, warfaring humankind, and kids dying horribly.

Some of the convo in this thread hinges on how you define "god"; to me the miracle of our natural world is "it", but there is still so much that's unexplained - how or why animals acquired a sex drive, or any need for reproduction even exists, e.g.

"arrive with" was a reference to arriving in heaven- given the post to which I was replying. I can see where we have wires crossed there.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 21:38 - Oct 3 with 975 viewsStokieBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 21:23 - Oct 3 by Ryorry

I think you are referring to genetic memory:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_memory_(psychology)

It's certainly not been proven that they are present in humans and it's likely they wouldn't be encoded in the same way as stimuli based memories.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 21:40 - Oct 3 with 974 viewsRyorry

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 21:32 - Oct 3 by sparks

"arrive with" was a reference to arriving in heaven- given the post to which I was replying. I can see where we have wires crossed there.

Ah, right, got it - ta for the clarification.

It really is fascinating stuff, but I somehow doubt even TWTD at its best is going to come up with the answer/s! ;) when philosophers world-wide have been wrangling it all for thousands of years without definitive result!

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 05:36 - Oct 4 with 931 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:59 - Oct 3 by sparks

No one assumes they are stored in the brain. Or at least very few people who have ever thought about it. We know that it is overwhelmingly likely, because it has been extensively studied, and because no viable alternative has even begun to be demonstrated. Its how evidence works.

It really is troubling to see how many people are instantly drawn to the position of doubting and opposing things which are clearly evidenced, in favour of alternative hypotheses for which there is not a shred of justificaiton.

"No one assumes they are stored in the brain. "

Hilarious! So either there's a more obvious place (like the heart, or maybe the armpits) or people just haven't ever asked the question before to create the assumption.

"Or at least very few people who have ever thought about it."

Hilarious. That's right, no one ever thought about these things until modern times. Doctors, philosophers, normal people... no one ever assumed that memories were stored anywhere... certainly not the brain! Right!

"We know that it is overwhelmingly likely"

Why use the word "likely"? If it's been extensively studied over the time suggested in this thread (100 years), surely "likely" must be redundant. If it's not, then surely it's reasonable to entertain the possibility that memories are not stored in the brain. That's how science works.

"It really is troubling to see how many people are instantly drawn to the position of doubting and opposing things which are clearly evidenced"

It's not troubling to anyone other than those who want to control the way people think.

"in favour of alternative hypotheses for which there is not a shred of justificaiton"

Please, tell me what my alternative hypothesis is, other than... memories might not be stored in the brain.

#toxic

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 05:43 - Oct 4 with 928 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 17:59 - Oct 3 by BackToRussia

But you're also unable to really say why you think the brain isn't responsible for memory, except that scientists can't explain every single aspect of how memory functions. You're also unable to put forward any other hypothesis at all, almost as if you're a contrarian who gets off on going against accepted opinion because you think you're smarter than everyone else.

"But you're also unable to really say why you think the brain isn't responsible for memory, "

I haven't said that at all. I said I had doubt as to whether memories were stored in the brain. I said from the very start that I believe that they are received in the brain.

You have created a whole argument for me in order to attack it, and a popular one at that, but it's all based on false assumption and / or disregarding what I've actually said.

#toxic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024