Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? 11:35 - Oct 2 with 35333 viewsBrixtonBlue

Yes, I'm bored at work.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 06:45 - Oct 4 with 875 viewsStokieBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 05:43 - Oct 4 by caught-in-limbo

"But you're also unable to really say why you think the brain isn't responsible for memory, "

I haven't said that at all. I said I had doubt as to whether memories were stored in the brain. I said from the very start that I believe that they are received in the brain.

You have created a whole argument for me in order to attack it, and a popular one at that, but it's all based on false assumption and / or disregarding what I've actually said.

I don't think he's made a false assumption at all.

If you believe they are received in the brain then how can the brain be responsible for them?

Given that you must have a hypothesis of where they are received from and thus the source ultimately responsible for them.

Is it internal or external of the body?

You make bold claims then refuse to put forward any reasoning or evidence to support them.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 08:31 - Oct 4 with 853 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 06:45 - Oct 4 by StokieBlue

I don't think he's made a false assumption at all.

If you believe they are received in the brain then how can the brain be responsible for them?

Given that you must have a hypothesis of where they are received from and thus the source ultimately responsible for them.

Is it internal or external of the body?

You make bold claims then refuse to put forward any reasoning or evidence to support them.

SB

"I don't assume memories are stored in the brain" is not a bold claim, neither does it require a hypothesis.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 08:47 - Oct 4 with 847 viewsHerbivore

CiL's keep net is bulging again I see. They really are TWTD's foremost angler.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 08:48 - Oct 4 with 844 viewswkj

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 08:47 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

Really? I thought he was Fergal's comedy alt

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:00 - Oct 4 with 837 viewsBackToRussia

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 05:43 - Oct 4 by caught-in-limbo

"But you're also unable to really say why you think the brain isn't responsible for memory, "

I haven't said that at all. I said I had doubt as to whether memories were stored in the brain. I said from the very start that I believe that they are received in the brain.

You have created a whole argument for me in order to attack it, and a popular one at that, but it's all based on false assumption and / or disregarding what I've actually said.

Why would the brain be responsible for receiving it and presumably recalling it and not for storing it? If you believe in a soul, why not just say?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:06 - Oct 4 with 830 viewsBrixtonBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 08:31 - Oct 4 by caught-in-limbo

"I don't assume memories are stored in the brain" is not a bold claim, neither does it require a hypothesis.

Believing memories are received in the brain surely requires a hypothesis? You must have a reason for thinking this or have some evidence that lead you to it?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:08 - Oct 4 with 827 viewsStokieBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 08:31 - Oct 4 by caught-in-limbo

It's just clear and obvious trolling now.

I'm not entirely sure what you get out of it but it must stimulate some dopamine in the nucleus accumbens for you. Would you agree that sensation is from within the brain rather than beamed in?

SB

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:09 - Oct 4 with 827 viewsStokieBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 08:47 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

You are of course right, however nonsense needs to be challenged otherwise it festers and grows even if it's designed to troll.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:15 - Oct 4 with 819 viewssparks

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:09 - Oct 4 by StokieBlue

You are of course right, however nonsense needs to be challenged otherwise it festers and grows even if it's designed to troll.

SB

Indeed.

Though i remain uncertain as to whether it is conscious trolling or just batsh1t craziness.

Poe's law applies.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:16 - Oct 4 with 816 viewsBrixtonBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 20:57 - Oct 3 by Ryorry

"Which memories do we arrive with?

The ones of dying? Pain, fear, horror?"

Aren't those instincts rather than memories? A hugely fascinating area - when discussion of so called "inherited memory" was a hot topic some years back, I always felt people really just meant "instinct" when referring to it - e.g. how/why do Border Collie pups start rounding up animals at just a few weeks old when they've never seen it being done?

It's also fascinating to ponder how/why we were given feelings and emotions - I mean love, sadness, etc etc aren't really necessary to life - animals could just robotically eat, move on etc etc. Nor has science yet satisfactorily explained animals' need to sleep - yes repair happens then, but again, wouldn't we and other animals be better off with replaceable parts?

Fascinating stuff. I didn't know that about border collie pups! I'm sure I've read something about the idea of a shared memory pool. Something about frogs on one side of the world learning a trait from frogs on another side, without any contact. Ironically I can't fully remember it!

Love, sadness etc. have been explained in evolutionary terms (unfortunately). You're more likely (and tyour offspring are more likely) to survive with a partner, and love has developed in order to keep partners together. Not romantic at all - purely to increase survival chances.

Not sure replaceable parts would be a better idea than repairing the ones you already have! Where would you get the replacements for starters?!

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:21 - Oct 4 with 813 viewsBrixtonBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 21:03 - Oct 3 by sparks

All sorts of interesting stuff- much of it explained in part or more by science. "Why we are *given" emotions etc" is begging the question- its fallacious. There are entirely valid and logical explanations for it all offered by biologists who understand evolution and social species.

We all have memories of fear, pain, loss.

If heaven is perfect, do we lose all those unpleasant memories? Do we lose the emotions that make us, us? If so- what sort of deity actually fundamentally messes with our very essence and personalioty without our consent?
[Post edited 3 Oct 2019 21:09]

Who's to say it's without our consent? Perhaps we chose the lives we're living and just don't remember (or even chose not to remember, in order to get the full experience 'blind').

There are a number of religions that believe the meaning of life is to experience - we experience this stuff, good and bad, and thus learn and grow from it, becoming enlightened beings.

It may be fanciful and supernatural, but it's logical. If that were the reason for life (if indeed life has a reason) then 'experience' would make more sense than anything else I can think of.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:25 - Oct 4 with 810 viewseireblue

Not wrong to start off with an assumption, it is often a good starting point for proof by Reductio ad absurdum.

However, I must say, gaps in knowledge, and assumptions based on knowledge gaps, are not sufficient to dismiss people that have studied such topics has having “limited” knowledge.
How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:27 - Oct 4 with 807 viewsHerbivore

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:21 - Oct 4 by BrixtonBlue

Who's to say it's without our consent? Perhaps we chose the lives we're living and just don't remember (or even chose not to remember, in order to get the full experience 'blind').

There are a number of religions that believe the meaning of life is to experience - we experience this stuff, good and bad, and thus learn and grow from it, becoming enlightened beings.

It may be fanciful and supernatural, but it's logical. If that were the reason for life (if indeed life has a reason) then 'experience' would make more sense than anything else I can think of.

Life doesn't have a reason.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:29 - Oct 4 with 801 viewsBrixtonBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:27 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

Life doesn't have a reason.

In your opinion.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:37 - Oct 4 with 788 viewsHerbivore

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:29 - Oct 4 by BrixtonBlue

In your opinion.

Yes, although it's a reasoned opinion based on the lack of any real evidence of there being some wider reason for our existence.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:37 - Oct 4 with 786 viewsfooters

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:29 - Oct 4 by BrixtonBlue

In your opinion.

Uh oh.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:39 - Oct 4 with 782 viewsPJH

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:37 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

Yes, although it's a reasoned opinion based on the lack of any real evidence of there being some wider reason for our existence.

I know why I am here.

It is to tell all of you that are too young what it was like seeing ITFC becoming Champions Of England.
How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:41 - Oct 4 with 775 viewsfooters

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:39 - Oct 4 by PJH

I know why I am here.

It is to tell all of you that are too young what it was like seeing ITFC becoming Champions Of England.

In your opinion.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:41 - Oct 4 with 774 viewsStokieBlue

In your opinion.

You're looking at it from a human-centric view where we are able to think and thus it's nice for us to believe our lives have a purpose and reason.

In reality the purpose is the relentless march of evolution to fill the voids created by changing environments. There is a good argument to say we have taken ourselves out of the race now but that still doesn't mean there is a reason to life.

We are a vector for our genes. Doesn't mean we can't enjoy the time we have in the relentless march though :).

SB

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:42 - Oct 4 with 772 viewsPJH

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:41 - Oct 4 by footers

In your opinion.

I can't think of any other reason for me being here.
How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:43 - Oct 4 with 771 viewsBrixtonBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:37 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

I'm not saying you're wrong, you just stated it as a fact. It's not proven there's no reason - and given pretty much everything else seems to have a reason it's not folly to think that life might have one too.

Again, the correct answer is we don't know.

I prefer to keep an open mind.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:43 - Oct 4 with 768 viewsfooters

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:42 - Oct 4 by PJH

I can't think of any other reason for me being here.

You probably forgot...

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:44 - Oct 4 with 765 viewsfooters

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:43 - Oct 4 by BrixtonBlue

I'm not saying you're wrong, you just stated it as a fact. It's not proven there's no reason - and given pretty much everything else seems to have a reason it's not folly to think that life might have one too.

It may do, but it's highly unlikely. You should also keep an open mind as to where such dark, Jungian thinking led humanity during parts of the twentieth century.

Just sayin'.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:47 - Oct 4 with 759 viewsHerbivore

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:43 - Oct 4 by BrixtonBlue

I didn't state it as anything. I just stated it. It is folly to think there is a bigger reason for life in my view, it's a pointless attempt at validation that isn't based on rational thought.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:52 - Oct 4 with 754 viewsBrixtonBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:41 - Oct 4 by StokieBlue

You're looking at it from a human-centric view where we are able to think and thus it's nice for us to believe our lives have a purpose and reason.

In reality the purpose is the relentless march of evolution to fill the voids created by changing environments. There is a good argument to say we have taken ourselves out of the race now but that still doesn't mean there is a reason to life.

We are a vector for our genes. Doesn't mean we can't enjoy the time we have in the relentless march though :).

SB

Again, like Herbi, you're talking as if it's fact. We don't actually know. It always baffles me why religious folk and atheists are so utterly convinced they're correct when there's not enough evidence either way.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024