Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Johnsons speech to conference 21:56 - Oct 2 with 3730 viewsOldsmoker

Part of his speech included this.

"But remember, it was only a few years ago when people were saying that solar power would never work in cloudy old Britain and that wind turbines wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding."

Who would say such a thing?
That would be in an article written by Johnson in July 2013.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Johnsons speech to conference on 22:01 - Oct 2 with 3065 viewsfooters

Dunno about policy and all that but I liked the bits that made me laugh :) So refreshing to have such a down-to-earth guy who speaks my language in charge, instead of these elitist, vain idiots who've never had a proper job in their lives.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Johnsons speech to conference on 22:18 - Oct 2 with 3001 viewssoupytwist

Johnsons speech to conference on 22:01 - Oct 2 by footers

Dunno about policy and all that but I liked the bits that made me laugh :) So refreshing to have such a down-to-earth guy who speaks my language in charge, instead of these elitist, vain idiots who've never had a proper job in their lives.

Could you please define 'proper job' so we know where we stand.

Also wondering which bit of Eton, Oxford, Bullingdon Club, son of a World Bank and European Commission employee, journalist for the Telegraph and Spectator marks him apart from the elitist idiots who haven't had one.
Johnsons speech to conference on 22:19 - Oct 2 with 2990 viewsDubtractor

Johnsons speech to conference on 22:18 - Oct 2 by soupytwist

Also wondering which bit of Eton, Oxford, Bullingdon Club, son of a World Bank and European Commission employee, journalist for the Telegraph and Spectator marks him apart from the elitist idiots who haven't had one.

Are you familiar with the twtd whoosh?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Johnsons speech to conference on 22:24 - Oct 2 with 2978 viewsfooters

Johnsons speech to conference on 22:18 - Oct 2 by soupytwist

I were raised in a proper workin' class profession, like Nigel Farage. Stock-broker's son, born and bred. It's a hard life trading commodities, especially if you're not very good at it.

Johnsons speech to conference on 22:32 - Oct 2 with 2950 viewsjaykay

Johnsons speech to conference on 22:24 - Oct 2 by footers

I were raised in a proper workin' class profession, like Nigel Farage. Stock-broker's son, born and bred. It's a hard life trading commodities, especially if you're not very good at it.

look at all these good people ,who are only interested in the well being of the working class. who cares if they make a quid or 2 on the side.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Johnsons speech to conference on 23:03 - Oct 2 with 2877 viewsfactual_blue

Yes, but when he said that in 2013 the press weren't there.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Johnsons speech to conference on 23:04 - Oct 2 with 2876 viewsfactual_blue

boris went to school in Slough I think.

Johnsons speech to conference on 23:09 - Oct 2 with 2870 viewsfooters

Johnsons speech to conference on 23:04 - Oct 2 by factual_blue

boris went to school in Slough I think.

His parents should be asking for a refund.

Login to get fewer ads

Johnsons speech to conference on 23:13 - Oct 2 with 2865 viewsfactual_blue

Johnsons speech to conference on 23:09 - Oct 2 by footers

His parents should be asking for a refund.

From the school or the maternity hospital?

Johnsons speech to conference on 04:01 - Oct 3 with 2752 viewsIllinoisblue

Truth is irrelevant now. People aren’t bothered by lies. They know what they like and they like what they know. In years to come kids studying history will be baffled by the Trump/Johnson years. And marvel at how we’re living in the Information Age and yet continue to be so fooking stupid.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Johnsons speech to conference on 06:40 - Oct 3 with 2627 viewsDarth_Koont

Johnsons speech to conference on 04:01 - Oct 3 by Illinoisblue

Truth is irrelevant now. People aren’t bothered by lies. They know what they like and they like what they know. In years to come kids studying history will be baffled by the Trump/Johnson years. And marvel at how we’re living in the Information Age and yet continue to be so fooking stupid.

POTD. I'm calling it early.

Pronouns: He/Him

Johnsons speech to conference on 08:19 - Oct 3 with 2511 viewsPinewoodblue

You don't even have to go looking for the truth anymore it is spoonfed you based on your previous browsing so you only see what someone else thinks you want to see.. Doesn't matter if what you read is distorted you just accept it. This applies to those who think they want to remain as well as those who want to leave.

Look how many read these threads and don't comment.

Yesterday evening someone was telling me how wonderful Boris was on the news, how spontaneous he had been with his delivery. Turned out she was talking about the Tory party political broadcast. Didn't want to believe me when told it was edited and probably took an hour to produce a 5 minute sound bite.

How do we turn the clock back to when we thought for ourselves and formed our own opinions.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Johnsons speech to conference on 08:24 - Oct 3 with 2506 viewsSWGF

Turns out people are as gullible now as they've ever been despite having the ability (literally at their fingertips) to check facts before they reproduce/reiterate them.

Easier to hit the "share" or "retweet" button than verify that what you've read (and which happens to reinforce what you already think) is the truth. And it doesn't matter if what you've read (and which happens to reinforce what you already think) is subsequently debunked. You don't care about that. The "debunking" will be lies. You'll still believe the original premise (£350m on the side of a bus, Turkey moving lock/stock to the UK, etc).

Propaganda doesn't seem to be affected by the method of communication; whether it's leaflets being dropped from the sky or Facebook ads.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Johnsons speech to conference on 08:28 - Oct 3 with 2497 viewsDanTheMan

https://streamable.com/16wrg

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Johnsons speech to conference on 08:32 - Oct 3 with 2492 viewsDanTheMan

Johnsons speech to conference on 08:24 - Oct 3 by SWGF

Turns out people are as gullible now as they've ever been despite having the ability (literally at their fingertips) to check facts before they reproduce/reiterate them.

Easier to hit the "share" or "retweet" button than verify that what you've read (and which happens to reinforce what you already think) is the truth. And it doesn't matter if what you've read (and which happens to reinforce what you already think) is subsequently debunked. You don't care about that. The "debunking" will be lies. You'll still believe the original premise (£350m on the side of a bus, Turkey moving lock/stock to the UK, etc).

Propaganda doesn't seem to be affected by the method of communication; whether it's leaflets being dropped from the sky or Facebook ads.

Whilst all the information is there, so is all the information that informs your own biases. So you can go out of your way to choose to only read or hear everything that confirms your own view. People don't really realise they are doing it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/nothing-on-this-page-is-real-how-lies-be

It's a bit like this.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Johnsons speech to conference on 08:51 - Oct 3 with 2454 viewsBlueNomad

The Nazis managed it without the technology. Most people never think about lessons from history.
Johnsons speech to conference on 09:13 - Oct 3 with 2419 viewsDarth_Koont

Johnsons speech to conference on 08:51 - Oct 3 by BlueNomad

The Nazis managed it without the technology. Most people never think about lessons from history.

I think the point is that the information is out there. It was relatively limited in Nazi Germany and the propaganda could become truth.

Now a lot of people are actively choosing the propaganda.

Johnsons speech to conference on 09:33 - Oct 3 with 2391 viewshampstead_blue

He was entertaining.

Putting JC into space was funny. I don't know how many other party leaders would have said that!

I don't think his idea to bin the backstop is all that bad. He does state that whilst the perfect solution doesn't exist today, technology will deliver yet better solutions on a rolling basis.

That was my take away.

Both sides compromise and we allow technology to help solve the problem over time. Not sure the sectarian divide will swallow that though.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Johnsons speech to conference on 09:36 - Oct 3 with 2381 viewsSteve_M

Johnsons speech to conference on 09:33 - Oct 3 by hampstead_blue

He was entertaining.

Putting JC into space was funny. I don't know how many other party leaders would have said that!

I don't think his idea to bin the backstop is all that bad. He does state that whilst the perfect solution doesn't exist today, technology will deliver yet better solutions on a rolling basis.

That was my take away.

Both sides compromise and we allow technology to help solve the problem over time. Not sure the sectarian divide will swallow that though.

If technology will deliver better solutions then please explain the problem with the backstop in May's deal? That was designed to fall away should a better solution become available.

The 'both sides compromising' bit is fine as long as both sides basically means Ireland.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Johnsons speech to conference on 09:51 - Oct 3 with 2343 viewsfactual_blue

Johnsons speech to conference on 08:51 - Oct 3 by BlueNomad

Most people never think.

End of.

Johnsons speech to conference on 10:01 - Oct 3 with 2306 viewshampstead_blue

Johnsons speech to conference on 09:36 - Oct 3 by Steve_M

If technology will deliver better solutions then please explain the problem with the backstop in May's deal? That was designed to fall away should a better solution become available.

The 'both sides compromising' bit is fine as long as both sides basically means Ireland.

The backstop's problems are well documented.

It's about hard compromises now. BJ's idea isn't perfect but it's better than the backstop.

Look Ireland never bothered about a border during the troubles. They just sat back and did nothing. Why should it bother them now? I don't mean checkpoints but BJ's idea is better than the backstop.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Johnsons speech to conference on 10:01 - Oct 3 with 2307 viewsDecoy_Octopus

Johnsons speech to conference on 09:36 - Oct 3 by Steve_M

And not only that, the backstop would only kick in if there was no formal trade agreement or anything like that; which we have been told would be the easiest deal in History. So really I'm not sure why everyone is that fussed about it.
Johnsons speech to conference on 10:15 - Oct 3 with 2281 viewshampstead_blue

Johnsons speech to conference on 10:01 - Oct 3 by Decoy_Octopus

And not only that, the backstop would only kick in if there was no formal trade agreement or anything like that; which we have been told would be the easiest deal in History. So really I'm not sure why everyone is that fussed about it.

because Guy Verhofstat (excuse spelling) has gone on record as stating that the EU will try and nail us to the wall when it comes to a deal. His words and tone were vile.

There are plenty in the EU who want us to suffer and the backstop is purgatory for us. They will have us in ground hog day but make it like a living hell

Johnsons speech to conference on 10:30 - Oct 3 with 2268 viewsDarth_Koont

Johnsons speech to conference on 10:15 - Oct 3 by hampstead_blue

because Guy Verhofstat (excuse spelling) has gone on record as stating that the EU will try and nail us to the wall when it comes to a deal. His words and tone were vile.

There are plenty in the EU who want us to suffer and the backstop is purgatory for us. They will have us in ground hog day but make it like a living hell

What did he actually say?

And of course they already hold all the cards and the power of a trade bloc of 27 countries. Because our economy won't survive without the EU and our future relationship with them then it's on their terms. We knew this (or should have known it).

Johnsons speech to conference on 10:43 - Oct 3 with 2241 viewsGuthrum

Johnsons speech to conference on 10:15 - Oct 3 by hampstead_blue

Verhofstadt is only one functionary amongst many. Yes, people like he and Selmayr may be very much on the EU Federalist wing of the organisation and thus very hostile to Brexit, but they are not the ultimate decisionmakers on policy. That lies with the European Council, which comprises the heads of government plus Junker and Tusk.

The latter two, along with Merkel and Macron (the biggest players), are far less concerned with "revenge" at the damaging of their ideological project than with functionality and preserving the European economy at a very difficult time globally.

Selmayr is not even in the picture any more, having left his job as Secretary-General of the European Commission two months ago to become EU representative to Austria.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024