Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! 10:25 - Oct 4 with 3248 viewsgiant_stow

I'm a pc boy so know nothing, but mrs ullaa has to have a macbook to run login pro to make music on (for pro-standard composing, so has to be that).

What sort of spec do we need to look at getting to run Logic reasonably fast?

Is there a good second hand / refurbished shop online to buy from or must it be new?

Many thanks

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 10:38 - Oct 4 with 1697 viewswkj

Welcome to the WKJ clinic of MacBook discussions. If you feel you MUST get one, invest in a new one. Recon/Second hand laptops are a gamble, not just macs. The reason being is that so many second hand or recon laptops end up that way for overheating issues. If you can find somewhere that gives a recon warranty of over 1 year, maybe.

You want to aim above the specs on this page

https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/specs/ particularly ram, 8gb as a benchmark, 16 as a preference (though I am sure 8 will do just fine for most of the time, might just require less multitasking.)

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 10:43 - Oct 4 with 1682 viewsflimflam

My advice - Dont do it.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 10:44 - Oct 4 with 1681 viewsEJP

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 10:38 - Oct 4 by wkj

Welcome to the WKJ clinic of MacBook discussions. If you feel you MUST get one, invest in a new one. Recon/Second hand laptops are a gamble, not just macs. The reason being is that so many second hand or recon laptops end up that way for overheating issues. If you can find somewhere that gives a recon warranty of over 1 year, maybe.

https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/specs/ particularly ram, 8gb as a benchmark, 16 as a preference (though I am sure 8 will do just fine for most of the time, might just require less multitasking.)

Yeah - what he said.

8gb should be fine providing you don’t have loads of tracks running at the same time.
Keep in mind Logic with loop packs is close to 80gb in size...
buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 10:46 - Oct 4 with 1676 viewsgiant_stow

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 10:38 - Oct 4 by wkj

Thank you good man.

I've tried talking mrs ullaa into a PC option, but she's adamant. I'm sure pro mmusos must use PCs too these days, but she's not having it having landed a paid gig -she wants Mac.

Second hand ones being a gamble is bad news - looks like the cost an absolute fortune new.. So a one year warrenty no good you reckon? Would you never buy second hand?

I was thinking the same about wanting more than the min on the ram.

Cheers loads.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 10:46 - Oct 4 with 1672 viewsgiant_stow

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 10:43 - Oct 4 by flimflam

My advice - Dont do it.

Why not fella?

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 10:47 - Oct 4 with 1667 viewswkj

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 10:46 - Oct 4 by giant_stow

Why not fella?

Relax, he said Don't do it.

Crybaby

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 10:47 - Oct 4 with 1669 viewsgiant_stow

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 10:44 - Oct 4 by EJP

Yeah - what he said.

8gb should be fine providing you don’t have loads of tracks running at the same time.
Keep in mind Logic with loop packs is close to 80gb in size...

So whats a loop pack? Is that the bit that gives you all the samples and sounds and is that in addition to the core logic spec? 255gb ssd not enough?

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 10:48 - Oct 4 with 1664 viewsgiant_stow

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 10:47 - Oct 4 by wkj

Relax, he said Don't do it.

eeek.

Login to get fewer ads

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 10:51 - Oct 4 with 1656 viewswkj

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 10:46 - Oct 4 by giant_stow

Thank you good man.

I've tried talking mrs ullaa into a PC option, but she's adamant. I'm sure pro mmusos must use PCs too these days, but she's not having it having landed a paid gig -she wants Mac.

Second hand ones being a gamble is bad news - looks like the cost an absolute fortune new.. So a one year warrenty no good you reckon? Would you never buy second hand?

I was thinking the same about wanting more than the min on the ram.

Cheers loads.

I would sooner get one second hand from a reputable retailer (on credit card for added security) rather than one second hand off of FB Marketplace and the sort. You can technically use vitalisation on a PC and run MacOS, but you will be running at a lower performance than the specs of the pc by doing so.

I would weigh up the price of a certified reconditioned laptop on a 1 year warranty vs the cost of a new on on a 3-year warranty (i think 3 years is a standard option on Macs). Also consider if this against if it is going to provide a source of income, or if it is just for hobby/interest usage.

I used to buy second hand laptops for work and very rarely did I get them to go longer than about a year to 18 months before things started getting dicey.

Crybaby

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 10:53 - Oct 4 with 1652 viewswkj

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 10:47 - Oct 4 by giant_stow

So whats a loop pack? Is that the bit that gives you all the samples and sounds and is that in addition to the core logic spec? 255gb ssd not enough?

255 is relatively small, although on a good internet connection I think a lot of official products can be retrieved from online and stored as such too.

Crybaby

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:01 - Oct 4 with 1635 viewsgiant_stow

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 10:51 - Oct 4 by wkj

I would sooner get one second hand from a reputable retailer (on credit card for added security) rather than one second hand off of FB Marketplace and the sort. You can technically use vitalisation on a PC and run MacOS, but you will be running at a lower performance than the specs of the pc by doing so.

I would weigh up the price of a certified reconditioned laptop on a 1 year warranty vs the cost of a new on on a 3-year warranty (i think 3 years is a standard option on Macs). Also consider if this against if it is going to provide a source of income, or if it is just for hobby/interest usage.

I used to buy second hand laptops for work and very rarely did I get them to go longer than about a year to 18 months before things started getting dicey.

Blimey, your last para is a powerful warning. Interesting thoughts on warranty too.

We got her last one brand new and high spec 10 years ago and it's still running, but no longer capable of running anywhere near up to date software - but still, an argument to spalsh out. .

Really appreciate your help.

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:05 - Oct 4 with 1625 viewswkj

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:01 - Oct 4 by giant_stow

Blimey, your last para is a powerful warning. Interesting thoughts on warranty too.

We got her last one brand new and high spec 10 years ago and it's still running, but no longer capable of running anywhere near up to date software - but still, an argument to spalsh out. .

Really appreciate your help.

Generally speaking? I hate laptops. I prefer a customisable home unit. My computer im using now works as good as new, although the only things original from purchase in it now are the mother board, cooling, pci media card and CD drive, everythign elce, including processor I have upgraded over 7 years at a cost of 1/5th that of a new PC matching specs of my current box.

The great thing now is Moore's law of processor advancement is becoming obsolete, so central processing isn't going out of date anywhere near as fast. A lot of the upgrade power now comes in the form of Graphics Processor Units that can be used to supplement the CPU. The biggest battle for redundancy now is keeping a system healthy and functioning, and on laptops it is much much harder to do, even with careful use.

Crybaby

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:14 - Oct 4 with 1616 viewsMeenoITFC

I am a music producer and I am always biased on using Ableton as a DAW. I have used most on the market and ableton is by far the best DAW out there. Get her to take a look.

Poll: Is Jonny Williams worth signing

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:22 - Oct 4 with 1602 viewsgiant_stow

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:14 - Oct 4 by MeenoITFC

I am a music producer and I am always biased on using Ableton as a DAW. I have used most on the market and ableton is by far the best DAW out there. Get her to take a look.

Thank you mr - I'm off to have a google - so it's fair to say that Logic Pro isn't the only pro option and using something else wouldn't hold her back? The gig she's landed is to compose some background music for a film length documentary - this Ableton would be compatible with sound studios involved in getting the tracks ready for that sort of use?

Sorry if this is all very basic.

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:22 - Oct 4 with 1603 viewshomer_123

FYI:

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished/mac/imac-pro

Full warranty and you won't get many issues with these.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2019 11:24]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:23 - Oct 4 with 1603 viewshomer_123

Worth looking if it 'has' to be Apple.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:24 - Oct 4 with 1601 viewsMookamoo

You can get refurbs direct from Apple
https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished/mac

I've had a few refurbs from there over the years and never had an issue.

John Lewis can also be a good place for clearance stuff:
https://www.johnlewis.com/browse/electricals/laptops-macbooks/view-all-laptops-m
buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:25 - Oct 4 with 1597 viewsgiant_stow

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:23 - Oct 4 by homer_123

Worth looking if it 'has' to be Apple.

Cheers mr.

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:25 - Oct 4 with 1593 viewsgiant_stow

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:24 - Oct 4 by Mookamoo

You can get refurbs direct from Apple
https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished/mac

I've had a few refurbs from there over the years and never had an issue.

John Lewis can also be a good place for clearance stuff:
https://www.johnlewis.com/browse/electricals/laptops-macbooks/view-all-laptops-m

oh buy on tick at JL - nice option!

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:27 - Oct 4 with 1591 viewswkj

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:22 - Oct 4 by homer_123

FYI:

Full warranty and you won't get many issues with these.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2019 11:24]

Aiye, I had PM'd that link to him a bit ago as it happens

Crybaby

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:28 - Oct 4 with 1588 viewsMookamoo

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:25 - Oct 4 by giant_stow

oh buy on tick at JL - nice option!

I think if you buy it using a John Lewis credit card you get money back in John Lewis vouchers.
buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:30 - Oct 4 with 1583 viewswkj

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:28 - Oct 4 by Mookamoo

I think if you buy it using a John Lewis credit card you get money back in John Lewis vouchers.

I have bought a few things from JL recently myself, I didn't get there CC, is it any good? I am getting shot of my HSBC one at the end of this year once my introductory APR is done with.

Crybaby

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:41 - Oct 4 with 1572 viewsEJP

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:22 - Oct 4 by giant_stow

Thank you mr - I'm off to have a google - so it's fair to say that Logic Pro isn't the only pro option and using something else wouldn't hold her back? The gig she's landed is to compose some background music for a film length documentary - this Ableton would be compatible with sound studios involved in getting the tracks ready for that sort of use?

Sorry if this is all very basic.

Just to add my eldest is at a Music Uni in London and Abelton is the preferred DAW.
buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:44 - Oct 4 with 1565 viewsMookamoo

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:30 - Oct 4 by wkj

I have bought a few things from JL recently myself, I didn't get there CC, is it any good? I am getting shot of my HSBC one at the end of this year once my introductory APR is done with.

Lady Mookamoo has one and we use it a lot. No idea about rate etc, but they are a trusted brand etc etc, so I imagine they're comparable to most.

We current have about £60 of vouchers to be used as they soon add up.
buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:45 - Oct 4 with 1560 viewsgiant_stow

buying a Macbook pro with Logic pro - advice desperately needed pretty please! on 11:41 - Oct 4 by EJP

Just to add my eldest is at a Music Uni in London and Abelton is the preferred DAW.

Very interesting.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024