Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Americas with Simon Reeve 10:30 - Oct 7 with 1488 viewsartsbossbeard

Well worth a catch up if you get a moment.

It's the second programme I've watched recently which has covered the North American Opioid issue and what happens when the big pharma's are allowed to "incentivise" Doctors to prescribe high dependency drugs for pain relief.

It's a national (US & Canada) disgrace.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2019 10:30]

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 10:34 - Oct 7 with 1455 viewsStokieBlue

It was good.

Luckily the companies are under huge legal challenge at the moment. In one state alone (Alabama maybe?) they were handed a 500m fine by the state and that's not including individual actions against them.

If that's repeated across all the other states for the other companies as well they are pretty much done for and will follow the awful Sacklers Purdue into Chapter 11.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 10:37 - Oct 7 with 1435 viewsartsbossbeard

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 10:34 - Oct 7 by StokieBlue

It was good.

Luckily the companies are under huge legal challenge at the moment. In one state alone (Alabama maybe?) they were handed a 500m fine by the state and that's not including individual actions against them.

If that's repeated across all the other states for the other companies as well they are pretty much done for and will follow the awful Sacklers Purdue into Chapter 11.

SB

Yep, it's being addressed, which is great - once you're hooked though..

The Sky programme I watched last weekend featured a young chap who was provided Fentenole (SIC) following the removal of a cyst. Doctor said no more drugs, became a heroin addict within a month of the op and no longer with us two months after that.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 10:41 - Oct 7 with 1419 viewschicoazul

I watched the first one last night. I enjoyed the occasional environmental lecturing he gave us, while also taking 3 flights in the episode.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 10:44 - Oct 7 with 1406 viewsStokieBlue

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 10:41 - Oct 7 by chicoazul

I watched the first one last night. I enjoyed the occasional environmental lecturing he gave us, while also taking 3 flights in the episode.

Whilst it did cross my mind it's all about scale.

The flights in light airplanes aren't really making a difference whereas highlighting the issues might make a difference. You could make the same argument for all Attenborough documentaries.

The first plane was excellent as well - you don't see many De Havilland planes still flying.

SB

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 10:50 - Oct 7 with 1385 viewschicoazul

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 10:44 - Oct 7 by StokieBlue

Whilst it did cross my mind it's all about scale.

The flights in light airplanes aren't really making a difference whereas highlighting the issues might make a difference. You could make the same argument for all Attenborough documentaries.

The first plane was excellent as well - you don't see many De Havilland planes still flying.

SB

All flights make a difference, as you say it's simply a question of scale. Flying of any kind is becoming more and more unjustifiable, and what you allude to about light planes etc is perhaps in other words, One rule for rich people another rule for everyone else.
Plus of course he will have flown (presumably) commercial to get to Alaska in the first place.
It's not something I was overly concerned about and I enjoyed the programme but I feel programmes of this type are getting less and less easy to watch.

EDIT; I found what the lady pilot at the beginning said the funniest bit of the show, "Yes I have been flying over here for 20 years and seen the glacier shrink all the time it's terrible" hmmmm yes, I wonder why?
[Post edited 7 Oct 2019 10:51]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 11:02 - Oct 7 with 1357 viewsStokieBlue

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 10:50 - Oct 7 by chicoazul

All flights make a difference, as you say it's simply a question of scale. Flying of any kind is becoming more and more unjustifiable, and what you allude to about light planes etc is perhaps in other words, One rule for rich people another rule for everyone else.
Plus of course he will have flown (presumably) commercial to get to Alaska in the first place.
It's not something I was overly concerned about and I enjoyed the programme but I feel programmes of this type are getting less and less easy to watch.

EDIT; I found what the lady pilot at the beginning said the funniest bit of the show, "Yes I have been flying over here for 20 years and seen the glacier shrink all the time it's terrible" hmmmm yes, I wonder why?
[Post edited 7 Oct 2019 10:51]

It's not really one rule for the rich and one for everyone else - I was more saying that highlighting the issues visually might have more effect on peoples behaviour than reading an article online (of course it might not - I don't have evidence for this but it's the argument made by the BBC for their nature documentaries). You are of course right that he is contributing with that flight but for perspective, that plane uses about 21 gallons an hour - given the speed it's a bit more than driving an Audi A6 to Edinburgh.

As for flying in Alaska, it's the only way to get to some places - you are essentially saying some people can't live in some places (which might be a valid argument and worthy of separate debate).

SB

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 11:13 - Oct 7 with 1329 viewsChurchman

It is and you are right, its a disgrace. I’ve been to both Canada and the US quite a lot and had no idea of the issues Simon Reeve highlighted. The only thing I’d Noticed at all was a lot of homelessness in parts of Vancouver.

Well worth a watch. I think he is an excellent presenter too.
The Americas with Simon Reeve on 11:22 - Oct 7 with 1305 viewsGaryCooper

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 10:41 - Oct 7 by chicoazul

Having watched the excellent two programme series on Greece by Simon Reeve, the number of flights taken is minimal in pollution to coal burnt by Greece, just proves a lot of points with regard to how we are essentially wasting our time, albeit correctly, if the worlds developing and poorer nations continue to burn coal.

Also highlights how the EU is a controlled market for German interests.
Login to get fewer ads

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 11:27 - Oct 7 with 1280 viewsStokieBlue

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 11:22 - Oct 7 by GaryCooper

Having watched the excellent two programme series on Greece by Simon Reeve, the number of flights taken is minimal in pollution to coal burnt by Greece, just proves a lot of points with regard to how we are essentially wasting our time, albeit correctly, if the worlds developing and poorer nations continue to burn coal.

Also highlights how the EU is a controlled market for German interests.

Idiotic last sentence.

Show your working.

SB

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 11:30 - Oct 7 with 1273 viewsGaryCooper

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 11:27 - Oct 7 by StokieBlue

Idiotic last sentence.

Show your working.

SB

Thanks! A little hyperbole granted, the fact that Germany sold Greece large quantities of German made tanks, double the number of tanks that France and the UK has combined, a short time after breaking the financial rules to allow Greece to join is a clue.
The Americas with Simon Reeve on 11:33 - Oct 7 with 1264 viewsStokieBlue

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 11:30 - Oct 7 by GaryCooper

Thanks! A little hyperbole granted, the fact that Germany sold Greece large quantities of German made tanks, double the number of tanks that France and the UK has combined, a short time after breaking the financial rules to allow Greece to join is a clue.

No it's not, it's just a random sentence you've seen on Facebook. Show your actual working - numbers, quantities, agreements, reasoning for your correlation of tank sales to joining the EU, percentage of German GDP from said deal and deals etc.

You know, actual evidence rather than rubbish soundbites.

With regards to Greece, they have a different geopolitical issue than the UK and France with their neighbour so you are also making a false equivalence.

SB
[Post edited 7 Oct 2019 11:33]

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 11:37 - Oct 7 with 1247 viewschicoazul

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 11:02 - Oct 7 by StokieBlue

It's not really one rule for the rich and one for everyone else - I was more saying that highlighting the issues visually might have more effect on peoples behaviour than reading an article online (of course it might not - I don't have evidence for this but it's the argument made by the BBC for their nature documentaries). You are of course right that he is contributing with that flight but for perspective, that plane uses about 21 gallons an hour - given the speed it's a bit more than driving an Audi A6 to Edinburgh.

As for flying in Alaska, it's the only way to get to some places - you are essentially saying some people can't live in some places (which might be a valid argument and worthy of separate debate).

SB

Yes, certainly a far comment. Blue Planet seems to have done more for collective consciousness about plastics in an hour than anything else in our lifetimes.
People certainly cannot live in some places, especially if the cost of them living there or even visiting is environmental wreckage.

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 11:38 - Oct 7 with 1240 viewsStokieBlue

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 11:37 - Oct 7 by chicoazul

Yes, certainly a far comment. Blue Planet seems to have done more for collective consciousness about plastics in an hour than anything else in our lifetimes.
People certainly cannot live in some places, especially if the cost of them living there or even visiting is environmental wreckage.

In which case you are basically going to have to forcefully move a large number of settlements, most of which are likely native populations.

SB

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 11:39 - Oct 7 with 1238 viewsGaryCooper

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 11:33 - Oct 7 by StokieBlue

No it's not, it's just a random sentence you've seen on Facebook. Show your actual working - numbers, quantities, agreements, reasoning for your correlation of tank sales to joining the EU, percentage of German GDP from said deal and deals etc.

You know, actual evidence rather than rubbish soundbites.

With regards to Greece, they have a different geopolitical issue than the UK and France with their neighbour so you are also making a false equivalence.

SB
[Post edited 7 Oct 2019 11:33]

Bollox if you can not be civil, it is not from facebook it was a quote from the programme.
The Americas with Simon Reeve on 11:42 - Oct 7 with 1224 viewsStokieBlue

The Americas with Simon Reeve on 11:39 - Oct 7 by GaryCooper

Bollox if you can not be civil, it is not from facebook it was a quote from the programme.

That was civil given you're perpetuating falsehoods.

What programme? There was a programme on TV that explicitly said that the EU was run for the purposes of the Germans and gave specific evidence?

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024