Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? 15:13 - Oct 7 with 16360 viewsBrixtonBlue

Presumably if you were able to measure the brainwaves of babies in the womb, you'd see that they are conscious of their surroundings, and this develops over time and through parental, peer and societal influences.

But at what point am I thinking/conscious?

And why am *I* having this consciousness? Why did *I* (whatever *I* is) come to be inside this particular human that you all know and love?

I'm a bit busy today so I'll be back later to see how you're doing.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 15:17 - Oct 7 with 4987 viewsfooters

"But at what point am I thinking"?

Rarely, if ever.

Glad to be of help.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 15:18 - Oct 7 with 4974 viewsStokieBlue

It's beamed in from an unknown location using an unknown method.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 15:19 - Oct 7 with 4973 viewsSpruceMoose

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 15:18 - Oct 7 by StokieBlue

It's beamed in from an unknown location using an unknown method.

SB

Only to Anglo Saxons though.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 16:06 - Oct 7 with 4922 viewsWeWereZombies

I think you are asking the wrong questions, and in the wrong direction.

I see this as a question for the meta discipline of philosophy rather than for scientists...in the first instance.

And the question is better framed as 'How does consciousness emerge?'

But you have to define consciousness first.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 16:08 - Oct 7 with 4911 viewswkj

Google, it comes from Google.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 16:18 - Oct 7 with 4899 viewshomer_123

Use your imagination.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 16:24 - Oct 7 with 4891 viewsusm

Coes

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 17:40 - Oct 7 with 4846 viewssparks

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 16:24 - Oct 7 by usm

Coes

Its an emergent property of a complex brain.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Login to get fewer ads

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 17:41 - Oct 7 with 4845 viewschicoazul

A good argument against abortion here Jerseys. Nice one. We'll have you converting to Anglicanism before long.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 17:47 - Oct 7 with 4836 viewssparks

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 17:41 - Oct 7 by chicoazul

A good argument against abortion here Jerseys. Nice one. We'll have you converting to Anglicanism before long.

?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 18:14 - Oct 7 with 4816 viewschicoazul

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 17:47 - Oct 7 by sparks

?

Presumably if you were able to measure the brainwaves of babies in the womb, you'd see that they are conscious of their surrounding

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 18:17 - Oct 7 with 4813 viewsIllinoisblue

did you recently eat a laced batch of Haribo?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 18:21 - Oct 7 with 4808 viewssparks

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 18:14 - Oct 7 by chicoazul

Presumably if you were able to measure the brainwaves of babies in the womb, you'd see that they are conscious of their surrounding

Not sure there is any evidence for that... I very much doubt a collection of cells is conscious...

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 18:24 - Oct 7 with 4799 viewschicoazul

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 18:21 - Oct 7 by sparks

Not sure there is any evidence for that... I very much doubt a collection of cells is conscious...

Hey, he said it.

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 18:25 - Oct 7 with 4794 viewsHerbivore

As someone who studied philosophy at a high level I can honestly say it's a waste of your consciousness to be pondering the origin and nature of your consciousness.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 18:31 - Oct 7 with 4794 viewsBrixtonBlue

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 18:25 - Oct 7 by Herbivore

As someone who studied philosophy at a high level I can honestly say it's a waste of your consciousness to be pondering the origin and nature of your consciousness.

I studied philosophy at uni (is that a high enough level?) I just wanted to see what the science bods would come up with.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 18:38 - Oct 7 with 4782 viewsWeWereZombies

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 18:21 - Oct 7 by sparks

You should have asked what a baby is doing in a womb, there won't be any room for the foetus.

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 18:47 - Oct 7 with 4769 viewslowhouseblue

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 18:31 - Oct 7 by BrixtonBlue

I studied philosophy at uni (is that a high enough level?) I just wanted to see what the science bods would come up with.

which floor were the lectures on?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 19:06 - Oct 7 with 4755 viewsfactual_blue

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 18:31 - Oct 7 by BrixtonBlue

This is 2019.

Science is all fake.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 19:34 - Oct 7 with 4731 viewsHerbivore

That's a moderate level rather than a high one I'd say. You're asking science to answer a metaphysical question. Metaphysical questions are intellectual masturbation at best.

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 19:46 - Oct 7 with 4728 viewsfactual_blue

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 18:17 - Oct 7 by Illinoisblue

did you recently eat a laced batch of Haribo?

He just to and from Fleetwood, leaving London at 5.00pm on a Friday. That's enough to make anybody doubt their existence, and indeed reality.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 06:14 - Oct 8 with 4653 viewsWeWereZombies

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 19:34 - Oct 7 by Herbivore

That's a moderate level rather than a high one I'd say. You're asking science to answer a metaphysical question. Metaphysical questions are intellectual masturbation at best.

Another one of those 'you were doing well until the last sentence' posts. And in a post of three sentences that could be an achievement, except Blue Oyster often manages it in one...

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 06:59 - Oct 8 with 4637 viewsBogblue

oh God
Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 07:46 - Oct 8 with 4624 viewsHerbivore

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 06:14 - Oct 8 by WeWereZombies

Another one of those 'you were doing well until the last sentence' posts. And in a post of three sentences that could be an achievement, except Blue Oyster often manages it in one...

I stand by the last sentence fully. Look, masturbation is fun, there's no shame in admitting you enjoy it.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 7:47]

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 07:49 - Oct 8 with 4618 viewsfooters

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 07:46 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

I stand by the last sentence fully. Look, masturbation is fun, there's no shame in admitting you enjoy it.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 7:47]

Just make sure mum doesn't find those copies of Descartes under your mattress.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024