Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? 15:13 - Oct 7 with 16401 viewsBrixtonBlue

Presumably if you were able to measure the brainwaves of babies in the womb, you'd see that they are conscious of their surroundings, and this develops over time and through parental, peer and societal influences.

But at what point am I thinking/conscious?

And why am *I* having this consciousness? Why did *I* (whatever *I* is) come to be inside this particular human that you all know and love?

I'm a bit busy today so I'll be back later to see how you're doing.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:23 - Oct 12 with 1773 viewsStokieBlue

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:21 - Oct 12 by WeWereZombies

Oh you are a fool at times....

To be fair I agree with him - perhaps give it another go?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:26 - Oct 12 with 1777 viewssparks

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:21 - Oct 12 by WeWereZombies

Oh you are a fool at times....

Nope. It was just a word salad.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:39 - Oct 12 with 1766 viewsWeWereZombies

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:26 - Oct 12 by sparks

Nope. It was just a word salad.

Salad is made with vegetables. Although vegetable is sometimes used to describe people who are comatose. But to so might seem insulting, much like using the term 'word salad' when you encounter something you do not understand.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2010/02/when-did-we-start-describing-comatos

However, the person who does not make a fool of themselves some of the time has yet to be born. It can be painful but also worthwhile to reflect upon that.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:41 - Oct 12 with 1764 viewsRyorry

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:00 - Oct 12 by WeWereZombies

So if there is no agency how can an entity decide? Ah, I have considered (!) it as a matter of decision and not as some form of binary (perhaps) optimisation in which the strongest force wins (!!) out. But why is the strongest force the strongest force?

Something must have decided (!!!) that in the first place. Otherwise nothing would ever happen. Or if it did there would be nothing to stop things just fizzling out anyway. Which could destroy entropy. And that would be against the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Not that there would be anything around to enforce that law...

"...there would be nothing to stop things just fizzling out anyway."

This gets back to my point of how come reproduction? It's a pretty weird thing when you think about it - I mean plants dropping seeds, or drooping branches into the ground which then form new plants etc, I can understand - but 2 animals mating? How & from where did the drive for that come from? (don't worry, I don't expect you personally to be able to answer! just leaving it hanging out there).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:44 - Oct 12 with 1762 viewssparks

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:39 - Oct 12 by WeWereZombies

Salad is made with vegetables. Although vegetable is sometimes used to describe people who are comatose. But to so might seem insulting, much like using the term 'word salad' when you encounter something you do not understand.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2010/02/when-did-we-start-describing-comatos

However, the person who does not make a fool of themselves some of the time has yet to be born. It can be painful but also worthwhile to reflect upon that.

Are you okay?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 11:49 - Oct 12 with 1753 viewsWeWereZombies

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:44 - Oct 12 by sparks

Are you okay?

I'm fine, you?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 11:52 - Oct 12 with 1751 viewssparks

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 11:49 - Oct 12 by WeWereZombies

I'm fine, you?

Just concerned for you - as you appear to be a little erratic and incoherent this morning. Glad to hear that all is well.

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 11:59 - Oct 12 with 1748 viewsWeWereZombies

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 10:41 - Oct 12 by Ryorry

"...there would be nothing to stop things just fizzling out anyway."

This gets back to my point of how come reproduction? It's a pretty weird thing when you think about it - I mean plants dropping seeds, or drooping branches into the ground which then form new plants etc, I can understand - but 2 animals mating? How & from where did the drive for that come from? (don't worry, I don't expect you personally to be able to answer! just leaving it hanging out there).

It's one of my flippant proofs for either God not existing or, if he does, being some kind of creepy sadist. Giving us sexual organs that are far from a conventional ideal of beauty, but making us get all hot and bothered about them anyway. Then surrounding the whole business with more angst, frustration, crossed wires and opportunities to go awry than you would have thought possible. Yet it is still the most enjoyable (when done right) thing we can do. Yet requires women to be subjected to menstruation.

And muddlesome as that it is it still compares well to the human digestion system. Now that really is a winning argument against the case for intelligent design.

Login to get fewer ads

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:04 - Oct 12 with 1743 viewsWeWereZombies

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 11:52 - Oct 12 by sparks

Just concerned for you - as you appear to be a little erratic and incoherent this morning. Glad to hear that all is well.

I think you are the one who should be looking in the mirror and wondering why discussions that have been had many thousands of times are not making sense to you.

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:04 - Oct 12 with 1743 viewsfooters

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 11:59 - Oct 12 by WeWereZombies

It's one of my flippant proofs for either God not existing or, if he does, being some kind of creepy sadist. Giving us sexual organs that are far from a conventional ideal of beauty, but making us get all hot and bothered about them anyway. Then surrounding the whole business with more angst, frustration, crossed wires and opportunities to go awry than you would have thought possible. Yet it is still the most enjoyable (when done right) thing we can do. Yet requires women to be subjected to menstruation.

And muddlesome as that it is it still compares well to the human digestion system. Now that really is a winning argument against the case for intelligent design.

Zombies... organs... it's all falling into place now. You are Rod Argent and I claim my five pounds.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:09 - Oct 12 with 1736 viewsWeWereZombies

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:04 - Oct 12 by footers

Zombies... organs... it's all falling into place now. You are Rod Argent and I claim my five pounds.

For the umpteenth time I am not Rod Argent. If I was then I would understand ericclacton when he talks about musical terminology. And I am not actually a zombie either...

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:15 - Oct 12 with 1732 viewsfooters

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:09 - Oct 12 by WeWereZombies

For the umpteenth time I am not Rod Argent. If I was then I would understand ericclacton when he talks about musical terminology. And I am not actually a zombie either...

That's a more practical challenge for the TWTD science boffs... I'll put up a fiver as a prize for whoever can work out what's going on (or not) in ericclacton's dome.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:18 - Oct 12 with 1730 viewsWeWereZombies

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:15 - Oct 12 by footers

That's a more practical challenge for the TWTD science boffs... I'll put up a fiver as a prize for whoever can work out what's going on (or not) in ericclacton's dome.

Ah, now we are back to Descartes and the problem of other minds...

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:25 - Oct 12 with 1723 viewstabletopjoe

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 11:59 - Oct 12 by WeWereZombies

If it all made perfect sense to us, then why would we ever take the trouble to seek out and find Him?

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:46 - Oct 12 with 1709 viewssparks

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:04 - Oct 12 by WeWereZombies

I think you are the one who should be looking in the mirror and wondering why discussions that have been had many thousands of times are not making sense to you.

Not really. I am well aware of the level of my ability to understand things and to tell gobbledigook from sophistication.

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:47 - Oct 12 with 1707 viewssparks

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:25 - Oct 12 by tabletopjoe

If it all made perfect sense to us, then why would we ever take the trouble to seek out and find Him?

Perhaps flip that on its head. If he wanted us to "find him" why would he hide?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:48 - Oct 12 with 1704 viewsRyorry

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:25 - Oct 12 by tabletopjoe

By "Him" you mean "Her" really, don't you ...

Given "Mother Nature" ...

Just sayin'

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:52 - Oct 12 with 1700 viewssparks

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:48 - Oct 12 by Ryorry

By "Him" you mean "Her" really, don't you ...

Given "Mother Nature" ...

Just sayin'

Nope. I mean him.

Because that is the entity which is being claimed.

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:55 - Oct 12 with 1695 viewsWeWereZombies

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:46 - Oct 12 by sparks

Not really. I am well aware of the level of my ability to understand things and to tell gobbledigook from sophistication.

Are you aware what sophistry is?

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:55 - Oct 12 with 1693 viewssparks

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:55 - Oct 12 by WeWereZombies

Are you aware what sophistry is?

Yes, thank you.

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:57 - Oct 12 with 1692 viewsRyorry

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:52 - Oct 12 by sparks

Nope. I mean him.

Because that is the entity which is being claimed.

My question wasn't actually directed at you, but since you've answered - why shouldn't any such supposed "entity", whether real or not, be female? Or anywhere in-between female-male, or androgynous, come to that?!
[Post edited 12 Oct 2019 12:58]

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:59 - Oct 12 with 1685 viewssparks

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:57 - Oct 12 by Ryorry

My question wasn't actually directed at you, but since you've answered - why shouldn't any such supposed "entity", whether real or not, be female? Or anywhere in-between female-male, or androgynous, come to that?!
[Post edited 12 Oct 2019 12:58]

I've yet to see any evidence for such an entity of any type. Seems unlikely it would be gendered, especially if it were the one and only. However, the claims made for existence of such an entity (particularly in Abrahamic religions) are based on a male.

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:59 - Oct 12 with 1685 viewsWeWereZombies

If somehow something ever kicked this all off it would be an 'it'.

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 13:01 - Oct 12 with 1680 viewsRyorry

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 12:59 - Oct 12 by sparks

I've yet to see any evidence for such an entity of any type. Seems unlikely it would be gendered, especially if it were the one and only. However, the claims made for existence of such an entity (particularly in Abrahamic religions) are based on a male.

Yeah, I know ...

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 13:09 - Oct 12 with 1669 viewsWeWereZombies

Another one for the science bods - where does my consciousness come from? on 13:01 - Oct 12 by Ryorry

Yeah, I know ...

Although if the comparison of the time humans have been in existence compared with the age of the Earth being like a fingernail clipping off a body, and Earth being a relative newcomer to the Universe, makes the Johnny come lately (no offence meant to anyone called Johnny) nature of Abrahamic religions a bit lame in this context.

And, for that matter, the Bible is just a rewrite of Greek philosophy leaving out the bits that some Middle Eastern tribes were uncomfortable with.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024