Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking forward to the game tonight 10:58 - Oct 8 with 1177 viewsDarth_Koont

I like the fact that these FLT games "sort of matter" but they're still more about bringing the whole squad up to speed and giving a run out to players who are squeezed out of the league squads. They make a nice break from the long haul of the league campaign even when we're doing so well points-wise.

So they have the feeling of a free hit with the good chance to see another performance like Dobra's last month. And, against Gillingham and Steve Evans, the bonus of some pantomime villainry on the sidelines.

Pronouns: He/Him

Looking forward to the game tonight on 14:09 - Oct 8 with 1109 viewsActionMan

I'd like us to compete and win. The whole "this competition is beneath" us nonsense holds no water with me, it's a competition for 3rd and 4th division teams, which we are, between our reasonably stacked squad for this level and the international breaks we should more than be able to cope with it. We've not been to Wembley in nearly 20 years, we've not won a cup in 1978 of any kind and not won any league since 1992, so if we can win a league and a cup in one season I will be happy. Plus a day out at Wembley against someone like Sunderland will be huge, we can beat them too. Perfect chance for Keane to get going as well.
Looking forward to the game tonight on 14:14 - Oct 8 with 1094 viewsDarth_Koont

Looking forward to the game tonight on 14:09 - Oct 8 by ActionMan

I'd like us to compete and win. The whole "this competition is beneath" us nonsense holds no water with me, it's a competition for 3rd and 4th division teams, which we are, between our reasonably stacked squad for this level and the international breaks we should more than be able to cope with it. We've not been to Wembley in nearly 20 years, we've not won a cup in 1978 of any kind and not won any league since 1992, so if we can win a league and a cup in one season I will be happy. Plus a day out at Wembley against someone like Sunderland will be huge, we can beat them too. Perfect chance for Keane to get going as well.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I think we should compete. But I think it's better as competitive experience and game time than how we might look at an FA Cup third round.

Of course, as we go further I'd expect to see us strengthening the side but that's fine if we're actually seeing players use it to move the other way into the league squad.

Looking forward to the game tonight on 14:51 - Oct 8 with 1060 viewsnoggin

Looking forward to the game tonight on 14:09 - Oct 8 by ActionMan

Didn't we win a cup in 1981? Just saying.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Looking forward to the game tonight on 15:06 - Oct 8 with 1034 viewsJeff_winger

Looking forward to the game tonight on 14:51 - Oct 8 by noggin

I distinctly remember Reuser holding a trophy after the playoff final in 2000
Looking forward to the game tonight on 15:52 - Oct 8 with 1000 viewsRadlett_blue

Looking forward to the game tonight on 14:14 - Oct 8 by Darth_Koont

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I think we should compete. But I think it's better as competitive experience and game time than how we might look at an FA Cup third round.

Of course, as we go further I'd expect to see us strengthening the side but that's fine if we're actually seeing players use it to move the other way into the league squad.

The beauty is that the opposition are also playing weakened teams so this competition is serving it's purpose as a sort of glorified reserve league. This works for us, with our relatively huge squad.
It's also always more fun when we're wining.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Looking forward to the game tonight on 16:01 - Oct 8 with 988 viewsDarth_Koont

Looking forward to the game tonight on 15:52 - Oct 8 by Radlett_blue

The beauty is that the opposition are also playing weakened teams so this competition is serving it's purpose as a sort of glorified reserve league. This works for us, with our relatively huge squad.
It's also always more fun when we're wining.

Agreed. And looks a step up from the U23 games so it's filling a pretty important player development gap so far.

Looking forward to the game tonight on 16:57 - Oct 8 with 937 viewsActionMan

Looking forward to the game tonight on 14:51 - Oct 8 by noggin

Domestic. But even so, that was close to 40 years ago.
Looking forward to the game tonight on 17:00 - Oct 8 with 928 viewsMrTown

I really like the competition, its a chance us to rotate the current first team players, whilst bringing in returning players from injury and giving them competitive gametime to catch up for when League fixture returns, more options who are fully fit will serve us so well during the back end of the season.

It will benefit us, where as squads with no where near the options we do it will hinder (Wycombe/Coventry/Blackpool/Fleetwood), win win all round.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Login to get fewer ads

Looking forward to the game tonight on 17:04 - Oct 8 with 918 viewsActionMan

Looking forward to the game tonight on 15:06 - Oct 8 by Jeff_winger

I distinctly remember Reuser holding a trophy after the playoff final in 2000

The Play-offs are not a cup competition as such, even so, 19 years ago, it's been a long time.

So no I don't regard either the League Cup or the FA Trophy as "Mickey mouse" cups as our fans call them or beneath Ipswich Town. Things have changed we should look forward to a decent cup run and hope for a few upsets in the likes of the League Cup and FA Cup rather than play the reserves and bow out every year to protect our league status, which I don't think has ever worked for us. Winning the FL Trophy is not beyond us, we'd get a big day at Wembley and yet more energy going back into the Championship and more positivity from the fans. Imagine if we'd have won the League Cup in the 1980's, or under Burley in 2001 or even the fluke we had under Keane? We'd have a lot more respect for it then.

Play to win, always compete and you will find we suddenly start doing a lot better in these competitions. Treat cup games like a second rate training match and we will continue to win nothing.
Looking forward to the game tonight on 17:47 - Oct 8 with 876 viewsChateauWines

I cant wait. From 1999 to 2017 went home and away more games than i didnt. The last season with McCarthy i gave up going home and away and stayed away. This season im back re energised and loving it. Been to every game home and away and will do right through to May. During a game we are not in Third Division or in whatever this cup competition is now called, we are simply watching our Ipswich Town winning.

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024