Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Which other club are we most similar to? 12:37 - Oct 8 with 4997 viewshatch

Was thinking this whilst trying to go to sleep last night.

In terms of history, structure, fanbase, stadium, league fortunes and prospect - how would we be perceived by other clubs? What club would we be most compared to?

For example, I see Coventry to be quite similar to Portsmouth.

I was thinking we're quite similar to Nottingham Forest in terms of the above factors, although their trophy cabinet is superior to ours.
Which other club are we most similar to? on 12:39 - Oct 8 with 4254 viewshomer_123

Not many to be brutally honest.

Even Nottingham (City) v Ipswich (Town) isn't a fair comparison.

We were, for a period of many years, a club that punched well and truly above our weight.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Which other club are we most similar to? on 12:41 - Oct 8 with 4245 viewsSuperblue95

I generally think we are most similar to Forest and Derby. Trouble is they’re both much richer than us these days and they both sack managers for fun so completely different to us in recent years

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Which other club are we most similar to? on 12:41 - Oct 8 with 4241 viewsJakeITFC

Leicester?

They’re just having their good bit now.
Which other club are we most similar to? on 13:36 - Oct 8 with 4128 viewssolemio

The true answer is Norwich City, but of course we can't admit to that.
Which other club are we most similar to? on 13:36 - Oct 8 with 4132 viewshatch

Which other club are we most similar to? on 12:39 - Oct 8 by homer_123

Not many to be brutally honest.

Even Nottingham (City) v Ipswich (Town) isn't a fair comparison.

We were, for a period of many years, a club that punched well and truly above our weight.

Apart from their 'rich history' and their population they have the following similarities:

- Nice, traditional 4 side stadium in town centre(ish).
- English and European past glory
- Experienced relegation to League One
- Struggle to escape the Championship despite a few play-off periods
- Club legends
- Similar week-by-week crowds home & away
- Main club in the county
- Local rival commonly in the same league
- Traditional feel to the club
Which other club are we most similar to? on 14:41 - Oct 8 with 4061 viewsTractorCam

Which other club are we most similar to? on 13:36 - Oct 8 by hatch

Apart from their 'rich history' and their population they have the following similarities:

- Nice, traditional 4 side stadium in town centre(ish).
- English and European past glory
- Experienced relegation to League One
- Struggle to escape the Championship despite a few play-off periods
- Club legends
- Similar week-by-week crowds home & away
- Main club in the county
- Local rival commonly in the same league
- Traditional feel to the club

- Long serving popular English manager

I'd agree, Forest is our main comparison.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Which other club are we most similar to? on 14:47 - Oct 8 with 4045 viewsBlueinBrum

I think we're probably flattering ourselves with Forest. They've won more and have a bigger national & global support base i reckon.

Derby maybe?
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 14:47]
Which other club are we most similar to? on 14:49 - Oct 8 with 4030 viewsPJH

Which other club are we most similar to? on 13:36 - Oct 8 by solemio

The true answer is Norwich City, but of course we can't admit to that.

Although the other three mentioned-Derby, Forest and Leicester-have along with us all won the top division in English football and two of them, along with us, have also won the F.A. Cup.
Login to get fewer ads

Which other club are we most similar to? on 15:08 - Oct 8 with 3991 viewsChurchman

Which other club are we most similar to? on 14:49 - Oct 8 by PJH

Although the other three mentioned-Derby, Forest and Leicester-have along with us all won the top division in English football and two of them, along with us, have also won the F.A. Cup.

Forest of course won the European Cup twice and a few League Cups so are more successful, historically. We of course have a richer European history than the other two. Each club has done something the other hasn’t, but when I first saw the question, they were the three I immediately thought of.
Which other club are we most similar to? on 15:17 - Oct 8 with 3964 viewsSibelius8

Which other club are we most similar to? on 15:08 - Oct 8 by Churchman

Forest of course won the European Cup twice and a few League Cups so are more successful, historically. We of course have a richer European history than the other two. Each club has done something the other hasn’t, but when I first saw the question, they were the three I immediately thought of.

Also Burnley. Certainly in league and cup terms - and a similar sized town (not a city also!). However we do have a European tradition too....
the best conclusion is that we are superbly and wonderfully unique. Who needs comparisons??
Which other club are we most similar to? on 15:32 - Oct 8 with 3934 viewsPendejo

No-one we are unique!

If Burnley could win an FA Cup and Europa League it would be them, but until they do we are unique.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Great post on 15:36 - Oct 8 with 3916 viewsDyland

Which other club are we most similar to? on 15:17 - Oct 8 by Sibelius8

Also Burnley. Certainly in league and cup terms - and a similar sized town (not a city also!). However we do have a European tradition too....
the best conclusion is that we are superbly and wonderfully unique. Who needs comparisons??

Norwich are unique as well in that they are the only football club where the only neutral's topic of even vague interest is not abut the actual game of football, but rather they are owned by a celebrity cook and Ed Balls and Steven Fry are fans.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Which other club are we most similar to? on 16:11 - Oct 8 with 3844 viewsitfcjoe

I'd have always said previously that realsitically it is sort of Forest, Derby and Norwich - a few other decent shouts in there

At the moment with budgets etc it is probably Barnsley and Millwall!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Which other club are we most similar to? on 16:25 - Oct 8 with 3808 viewsPJH

Which other club are we most similar to? on 15:32 - Oct 8 by Pendejo

No-one we are unique!

If Burnley could win an FA Cup and Europa League it would be them, but until they do we are unique.

They have won the F.A. Cup(105 years ago).

I saw them lose one Final in 1962 and as they of course finished second to us in The League they were actually very close to doing The Double.
Which other club are we most similar to? on 16:54 - Oct 8 with 3759 viewsWallingford_Boy

Sheffield Wednesday

RIP Sir Bobby

Which other club are we most similar to? on 16:55 - Oct 8 with 3757 viewsOxford_Blue

Derby probably by size of club and town.
Which other club are we most similar to? on 17:33 - Oct 8 with 3669 viewswkj

In the late 90's / 00's we were often mentioned in the same sentence as Leicester City. Hopefully they're foreshadowing our future. Blackburn in some ways with a twist of Forest.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Which other club are we most similar to? on 17:56 - Oct 8 with 3619 viewsITFCMonk

West Ham?

Southampton?

Aston Villa?
Which other club are we most similar to? on 18:30 - Oct 8 with 3560 viewsTractorCam

Which other club are we most similar to? on 17:56 - Oct 8 by ITFCMonk

West Ham?

Southampton?

Aston Villa?

Villa are much, much, much bigger than us.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Just between...... on 18:36 - Oct 8 with 3540 viewsBloots

....Stoke and Wycombe.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Just between...... on 18:40 - Oct 8 with 3526 viewsPJH

Just between...... on 18:36 - Oct 8 by Bloots

....Stoke and Wycombe.

Although Stoke do not have to play in the EFL Trophy.
Which other club are we most similar to? on 18:42 - Oct 8 with 3519 viewsWeWereZombies

St. Etienne...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Which other club are we most similar to? on 18:51 - Oct 8 with 3486 viewsTrequartista

History and trophies, Nottingham Forest.

Size of club, geographical spread of fanbase, Norwich City.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Which other club are we most similar to? on 19:02 - Oct 8 with 3452 viewsBlackboots

West Brom

Poll: Do you want George Burley as our next manager ?

Which other club are we most similar to? on 19:10 - Oct 8 with 3415 viewsArthur_Hayes

I’d say West Brom - although they have a better domestic honors list, we have European glory on ours. Similar size urban areas with similar size attendances.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024