Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland 15:06 - Oct 8 with 11558 viewsRadlett_blue

Only 4pts off automatic promotion with a game in hand.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 19:32 - Oct 8 with 4189 viewsbritbiker

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 15:51 - Oct 8 by homer_123

Yes, the bounce we saw under our last manager. ;)

That was the Leeds game which was unfortunately the last home game.
Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 19:42 - Oct 8 with 4173 viewsm14_blue

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 19:24 - Oct 8 by TheBoyBlue

It really would've served both us and him if he had come here instead of Hurst. I don't expect we'd have gone up or anything, but I imagine we would've stayed up, playing good football and he probably wouldn't have got so many people offside.

Shame, because I think he'll be a superb manager.

I don't know that much about him pre Sunderland but I'm interested why you think that?

He has by far and away the biggest budget in the league and failed to go up last year, playing some utterly turgid football into the bargain. They spent £4m on one player in January, £4m!!!

Now, I accept there are some mitigating circumstances but it's impossible to argue that he hasn't failed at Sunderland.

Was his St Mirren side really that good to justify such faith in him after that?
Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 19:49 - Oct 8 with 4164 viewswkj

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 19:42 - Oct 8 by m14_blue

I don't know that much about him pre Sunderland but I'm interested why you think that?

He has by far and away the biggest budget in the league and failed to go up last year, playing some utterly turgid football into the bargain. They spent £4m on one player in January, £4m!!!

Now, I accept there are some mitigating circumstances but it's impossible to argue that he hasn't failed at Sunderland.

Was his St Mirren side really that good to justify such faith in him after that?

I think he chose the wrong team to manage, not saying we would have been the right one, but he jumped into English management in the deep end both feet first. Compared to Hurst who is all but one place from the bottom of the football league, I think Ross has enough personality and knowledge to be miles upon miles better than Hurst. Would Ross have kept us up? I think he might well have done, but I don't think he'd have turned us around and lived up to the expectation that we'd go beyond being a middling team in the league.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2019 2:14]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 19:51 - Oct 8 with 4158 viewsbrogansnose

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 19:49 - Oct 8 by wkj

I think he chose the wrong team to manage, not saying we would have been the right one, but he jumped into English management in the deep end both feet first. Compared to Hurst who is all but one place from the bottom of the football league, I think Ross has enough personality and knowledge to be miles upon miles better than Hurst. Would Ross have kept us up? I think he might well have done, but I don't think he'd have turned us around and lived up to the expectation that we'd go beyond being a middling team in the league.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2019 2:14]

He may not have stripped the guts out of the team and alienated the players which would have been a start. Certainly couldn't have been as bad as Hurricane Hurst, and yeah, I think he took the wrong team to manage.
Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 19:57 - Oct 8 with 4146 viewsPJH

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 19:51 - Oct 8 by brogansnose

He may not have stripped the guts out of the team and alienated the players which would have been a start. Certainly couldn't have been as bad as Hurricane Hurst, and yeah, I think he took the wrong team to manage.

Correct on all points I think although I imagine the fact(?) that ME was leaning towards appointing Hurst pushed Jack Ross towards the Sunderland job.

I have not checked back but I believe he took the Sunderland job before Hurst was confirmed here.
Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 20:00 - Oct 8 with 4140 viewsTheBoyBlue

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 19:51 - Oct 8 by brogansnose

This is broadly what I meant. The style of football at St Mirren was widely lauded and he doesn't appear to be as unlikeable as Hurst which I think would've played out well here. But as said above, the expectations and size of club were just too big for Jack Ross at this stage. We would've been a better fit.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 20:01 - Oct 8 with 4134 viewsfooters

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 19:57 - Oct 8 by PJH

Correct on all points I think although I imagine the fact(?) that ME was leaning towards appointing Hurst pushed Jack Ross towards the Sunderland job.

I have not checked back but I believe he took the Sunderland job before Hurst was confirmed here.

I always put Ross' choice more down to location than much else. That and I suppose the relative size of the Sunderland crowd, new owners, etc. But who knows.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 20:09 - Oct 8 with 4121 viewsTheBoyBlue

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 20:01 - Oct 8 by footers

I always put Ross' choice more down to location than much else. That and I suppose the relative size of the Sunderland crowd, new owners, etc. But who knows.

I got the impression (nothing more solid than that) that it was fairly 50-50 for him between us and Sunderland. He would've been in the Championship with us, sizeable crowds, given time (unless he completely and utterly cocked it up like Hurst and I don't think he would). Whilst in a lower division with Sunderland, the potential if he'd got it right would've been understandably alluring too. That ME didn't bust a gut to get him probably pushed him towards Sunderland. That's not to say he wouldn't have chosen them anyway though.

Login to get fewer ads

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 20:17 - Oct 8 with 4105 viewsbrogansnose

Yes, he took the job before Hurst was appointed after he'd had two interviews and made to hang on as ME wanted to speak to Hurst. Sunderland came in and Ross possibly thought that Evans wanted Hurst, more money to spend, closer to home and family, higher wages and a team that theoretically should have been pretty easy to get promoted.

I always think those sort of jobs are difficult, the fading 'giants' so to speak. I'm sure Nathan Jones is wishing he stayed at Luton where he was doing a great job. It'll be interseting to see how the Cowleys get on at Huddersfield. I'm not sure that type of club are the ideal step up for up and coming managers. Something a little more less pressured like Ipswich would have suited better.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 20:18]
Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 20:46 - Oct 8 with 4074 viewsTheBoyBlue

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 19:31 - Oct 8 by Kieran_Knows

‘Played good football’ ... one of the reasons why Sunderland fans wanted him gone was because how sh*te the football was!

Yeah, that puzzled me a bit, because the style he had at St Mirren was widely applauded as very easy on the eye. I wonder if he would've managed to implement that easier here in the Championship, perhaps with slightly less emphasis on results from the off than was expected at Sunderland?

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 21:05 - Oct 8 with 4055 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 16:08 - Oct 8 by itfcjoe

Not good news for us.

For whatever reason he was struggling there with a good squad, the right manager can turn that round and it will make it more diffiuclt for us.

Still wish he had come here though!

"Not good news for us"?

How'd you work that one out? They could end up with Gary Megson.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 21:48 - Oct 8 with 4019 viewsMelford

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 15:53 - Oct 8 by Marshalls_Mullet

They were unhappy with him last year, so its no great surprise.

Does that mean the Michael Dell takeover is close to completion?
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 15:53]

I've been nosing around their forum every so often the last couple of months and they didn't like him much, should have gone after the play-off final seemed to be general consensus. Turgid football, too many 1-1 draws. Their comments on his style of football are pretty similar to what was being said on here 2 years ago about our manager's style.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 21:58 - Oct 8 with 4002 viewsRadlett_blue

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 20:17 - Oct 8 by brogansnose

Yes, he took the job before Hurst was appointed after he'd had two interviews and made to hang on as ME wanted to speak to Hurst. Sunderland came in and Ross possibly thought that Evans wanted Hurst, more money to spend, closer to home and family, higher wages and a team that theoretically should have been pretty easy to get promoted.

I always think those sort of jobs are difficult, the fading 'giants' so to speak. I'm sure Nathan Jones is wishing he stayed at Luton where he was doing a great job. It'll be interseting to see how the Cowleys get on at Huddersfield. I'm not sure that type of club are the ideal step up for up and coming managers. Something a little more less pressured like Ipswich would have suited better.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 20:18]

If you're a lower league manager on the way up, the dream job doesn't come up very often and you're unlikely to get offered a job at anything much better than a struggling Championship club. Hence most will take the chance. Maybe Ross isn't any good; he'll get another chance, either in Scotland or at a lower English club.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 22:00 - Oct 8 with 3994 viewswkj

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 21:58 - Oct 8 by Radlett_blue

If you're a lower league manager on the way up, the dream job doesn't come up very often and you're unlikely to get offered a job at anything much better than a struggling Championship club. Hence most will take the chance. Maybe Ross isn't any good; he'll get another chance, either in Scotland or at a lower English club.

I tend to agree. Watch him get hired by Barnsley now.

Crybaby

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 22:29 - Oct 8 with 3966 viewsJohnny_Boy

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 19:31 - Oct 8 by Kieran_Knows

‘Played good football’ ... one of the reasons why Sunderland fans wanted him gone was because how sh*te the football was!

Did I read correctly, he left with a 50% win ratio?
That can't be right. I think Sky Sports News made a balls up there.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 22:37]
Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 00:04 - Oct 9 with 3925 viewsMelford

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 22:29 - Oct 8 by Johnny_Boy

Did I read correctly, he left with a 50% win ratio?
That can't be right. I think Sky Sports News made a balls up there.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2019 22:37]

Like your profile picture, brilliant album

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 08:34 - Oct 9 with 3825 viewsJohnny_Boy

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 00:04 - Oct 9 by Melford

Like your profile picture, brilliant album

I'm sure you were aware it was the anniversary of the release of Some Friendly the other day.
I want to say 30th. Blimey. That feels weird to say.

Dead Dead Good records were reminiscing about it on Twitter. Talking about the limited edition white cover on first pressings of the vinyl. Found mine in a charity shop years & years later.
Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 16:46 - Oct 9 with 3768 viewsagentp

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 19:24 - Oct 8 by TheBoyBlue

It really would've served both us and him if he had come here instead of Hurst. I don't expect we'd have gone up or anything, but I imagine we would've stayed up, playing good football and he probably wouldn't have got so many people offside.

Shame, because I think he'll be a superb manager.

Jack Ross playing good football? Blimey, pretty much everyone in the Stadium of Blight wanted him gone because it was so Sh1t.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2019 16:48]

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 18:11 - Oct 9 with 3732 viewsBlueBadger

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 15:51 - Oct 8 by homer_123

Yes, the bounce we saw under our last manager. ;)

Ah now, teams were sh1tting themselves about having to wait 20 minutes for us to tap it around in midfield before putting a couple of goals past us.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 23:28 - Oct 9 with 3695 viewsSarge

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 18:12 - Oct 8 by cleaner

Cleaner says don't be dirty.

😂 I think cleaner is my current favourite poster
Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 23:35 - Oct 9 with 3684 viewswkj

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 23:28 - Oct 9 by Sarge

😂 I think cleaner is my current favourite poster

How have you been Sarge, not seen you round these parts for a bit
[Post edited 9 Oct 2019 23:36]

Crybaby

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 23:58 - Oct 9 with 3674 viewsBent_double

So what you're saying is, not only is ME responsible for all the problems at ITFC, but his tentacles stretched as far as Sunderland and sorted them out too!

All we need him to do now is get involved with Norwich and weave his magic there.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 00:01 - Oct 10 with 3669 viewsSarge

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 23:35 - Oct 9 by wkj

How have you been Sarge, not seen you round these parts for a bit
[Post edited 9 Oct 2019 23:36]

All good thanks wkj! Didn’t realise it had been best part of a month since I’ve posted anything. I’m always here though, watching and lurking.
Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 10:21 - Oct 12 with 3525 viewstractorboy1978

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 18:41 - Oct 8 by Kieran_Knows

I’d disagree personally. I don’t think their much cop at all to be honest. Given the size of the club, and the budget they had last season (although I appreciate it was still drastically slashed from the year before), I actually thought Ross recruited really poorly.

Totally agree. They've got a couple of very decent players for this level but generally I'm not convinced points wise they've performed particularly below where that squad should be. Our squad is far superior and has far more depth IMO.
Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 10:58 - Oct 12 with 3502 viewsDubtractor

Jack Ross has been fired by Sunderland on 10:21 - Oct 12 by tractorboy1978

Totally agree. They've got a couple of very decent players for this level but generally I'm not convinced points wise they've performed particularly below where that squad should be. Our squad is far superior and has far more depth IMO.

£3m or whatever it was for Will Grigg makes some of Hurst's transfer deals look good value.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024